Hayek's guide to reaching high PvP progression rewards

Hayek
Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
edited April 2017 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Introduction

Let me start by saying that when more players are able to climb higher, it benefits the community as a whole because there will be more points available. It's a rising tide floats all boats scenario that reduces both the shielding cost and the frustration of reaching your goal. I also know that many players have good enough rosters to be reaching the 1k or even 1.3k progression rewards but the idea of having to coordinate couple with the risk of spending imcoinpng for nothing is a big turn off. I have been there. So here it is, reaching all progression rewards, explained:

Lingo
  • Blacklisted: Characters that when not featured, will paint a big target on your back. They are not necessarily bad, but either the AI can't play them, they have expensive powers coupled with low health, their powers can become useless (or even self-defeating) against certain teams, or they are just plain easy to get around by denying one color. In my opinion, these are icon_blackwidowpngicon_colossus_newpngicon_doctoroctopuspngicon_falconpngicon_mystiquepngicon_quicksilverpngicon_rocketpngicon_spidermanpngicon_visionpngicon_squirrelgirlpng
  • Good 3: A good max level 3 starpng character that accelerates your matches, is a hassle to play against because of guaranteed damage or dangerous ability, or hopefully both. These include icon_deadpoolpngicon_hoodpngicon_kamalakhanpngicon_lokipngicon_thorpngicon_cyclopspngicon_ironfistpngicon_scarletwitchpng
  • Boosted 3: A non-Blacklisted 3 starpng character boosted between level 210 and 240 (beware that anything less than 240 will paint a huge target on your back).
  • Decent 4: A 4 starpng character who is mostly covered, at least level 200, and has at least one of his good abilities fully covered.
    Boosted 4: A fully covered 4 starpng character at least unboosted level 240 that is boosted that week.
  • Team Carries: Fully covered 4 starpng characters (you should strive to collect these) that have great offensive abilities and can be scary to face. These include icon_carnagepngicon_ironmanpngicon_icemanpngicon_jeangreypngicon_thingpngicon_deadpoolpng
  • Juicy Queue: A team that is significantly easier to beat than other teams worth a similar amount of points. If you're a juicy queue, players skipping matches looking for points will not skip you, might attack you immediately, and may even look for you again when they are done, so time spent unshielded should be kept to a minimum.
  • Cornerstone: The character you want to build your team around. Support characters should be accelerating your cornerstone skills and so forth.
  • Hover Spot: The point threshold where you can stay unshielded for a relatively long amount of time and won't lose too many points. For 3 starpng teams, this may be as low as the 500s, and for 4 starpng teams this may be as high as 800s.

Expectations

First, let me set your expectations. This is what you need to reach each reward tier consistently. Anything less than this is still doable, but will cost you more shields as you will have to shield earlier and hop more. Anything significantly less than this would be a waste of your resources, as you will be a sitting duck any time you unshield.

To reach 1k progression without running the risk of throwing your phone out the window, you'll need to meet a few prerequisites, starting with a decently covered featured character. Bring him up to level 120 if you haven't already. It's very cheap, makes him decently useful (boosted, he's level 210), and to the 99% of players who won't go digging through your roster to see how he's covered, doesn't scream badly covered push-over. You'll need at least one Good 3 starpng or 4 starpng that is level 240 or higher as the cornerstone of your team. Your third character can be a Decent 4, Boosted 3, or Good 3 - you will want to keep team synergy in mind when choosing him.

To reach 1.3k progression, there's no change to the featured character requirement. You can still do it with your level 120 (boosted to 210) character even if he's not optimally covered. The cornerstone of your team should be either a Boosted 4 or a Team Carry. In some PvPs you may be able to reach this tier with a Good Boosted 3 coupled with a good accelerator, like icon_ironfistpngicon_blackpantherpng, but that will depend on your skill and luck. You will have to play your matches extremely fast during the shield hopping stage because you will be a Juicy Queue. Your third character should be picked based on how well he synergizes with your cornerstone, and can be as low as a Good 3 depending on who your cornerstone is (example: icon_ironmanpngicon_ironfistpng).

Obviously, the better your team, the easier time you'll have reaching these progressions. Your team strength will vary from week to week as the boosted characters change, and from PvP to PvP as the featured character changes. Sometimes you may have multiple buffed characters to choose from and a maxed featured character to boot, other times you will have a stock featured character and no boosted characters. Just because you reached a progression tier before, doesn't mean you can every time.

Strategy

And now, the strategy. First you'll have to pick a shard. Some shards have players trying harder than others. It may seem scary to go into a shard where you see so many fully leveled 4 starpng characters and players going for 1800 points, but what this means is that when you're at 1200 points trying to get to 1300, you'll find 70 point queues instead of 20 point queues. Once you picked a shard, it's time to fight. There are 3 stages to PvP: climb, push to first shield, and shield-hop.

The climb is the stage where you get all the easy matches out of the way and get to your Hover Spot. You will want to do your climb early, sometime between the 48h and 24h mark. You can do these matches at a leisurely pace and time it so you reach your hover spot about 30h before the PvP ends. Your last match should be done with your scariest defensive team, because this is what other teams will have to face while you take a break. Your goal is to stay there until your health packs regenerate to 10.

Then comes the push to first shield. Before you start, think of what shield you're going to want to use. Your mind might be racing at the end of this run and you might not make the best shield decisions at the end. If this is 3h before bed, you should put up a 3h shield and do a hop at bed time. If this is already bed time and you put up a 3h shield, then either you stay up at least another hour or your shield will expire and you'll be hit back to your Hover Spot. It is inadvisable to break shields soon after shielding as your shield may not have endured all the hits from people that queued you while you were fighting. You will want to use your fastest team until you are 150 to 200 points above your hover spot (but no higher than 850), then switch to your scariest team with no regard for sustainability. At this stage, you'll want to be using +AP boosts for 4 colors and a good team up. You will want to put up a shield as soon as you reach your goal or if you're just shy of your goal but keep treading water because you are hit every time you win a match and are out of health packs. It's not worth to try to switch to an inferior team to keep trying to reach your initial goal. For 3* teams trying to reach 1k progression (if you can't typically reach 1k without shielding), aim for a 3h shield at 900 points. For teams trying to reach 1.3k progression, aim for first shield at 1k. If you are doing your push to first shield when not many people are playing, you may be able to push a little higher before shielding, but just like with gambling, you have to know when to stop.

Lastly, comes the shield hopping stage. Some alliances are very coordinated and so it is easy for their members to shield hop, but this is definitely not necessary. As soon as you finish your push to first shield, look at your queues. If you don't already have 2 queues worth at least 50 points, preferably more, start skipping. You may have to do this a lot until you find a suitable opponent. If you start seeing the same names showing up and you still haven't found a suitable queue, give it 20 minutes, then try again. When you have your 2 queues, plan on what time you want to do your hop and what shield you want to use next. The best strategy is to alternate between 3h and 8h shields until you reach your goal, but sometimes if you have had early success and want to keep your points for the season you might try to schedule two 8h shields back to back. When you shield hop, the sweet spot is 2 matches. If you do just one match per hop it will cost too much imcoinpng and if you do 3, unless you are really lucky, you will be hit, possibly multiple times. Even with just 2 matches, you still run the risk of being hit. There are 2 factors you can't control - luck and how much of a Juicy Queue you are, but there's one that you can and should - speed. You'll bring your A-team for the event and should be boosting +2 ap to 4 colors (maybe +all ap boosts against tougher teams). Bring your best team-up. You will need your skill as a puzzler here to not only identify cascade-generating matches quickly but to also reorganize your strategy on the fly when the AI gets a cascade. You should not be attempting to preserve health for the next battle, like trying not to use icon_carnagepngredtilepng or icon_ironmanpngblacktilepng to save on health packs. You'll just heal your team to full before the second match anyway. For players trying for the 1k reward, one hop should do it. For players going for 1.3k, you may need 3 or more.

Etiquette

Keep in mind that there is always an element of risk, and you may be foiled at the last minute by an attack when you're just shy of reaching your reward. To minimize this risk, there are a couple of rules of etiquette we as a community can adopt (and many already have). The more players follow these rules, the easier it is for all of us to reach our progression rewards because people will climb higher and there will be more points available in your shard.
1. When you are above 850 points and you find a high points target, don't attack them right away (sniping). Try to give them 10 minutes before attacking. Always do this when shield hopping, but this may be impractical during the frantic dash to first shield. So at least try to give them a match. Play another match before hitting them, and give them the chance to shield before your hit comes.
2. Never hit the same target twice (double-tapping). To do this, try to get in the habit of reading the name of who you're attacking. Do this not only because it's the kind thing to do (you will know how much it sucks when it happens to you) but because you might end up on a list. When you reach this high end play, you will attack and be attacked by players who belong to very organized alliances. If your (and their) attacks are bouncing off shields, everyone is happy. But if you get a reputation as a sniper, or worse be put in a kill on sight list (yes these do exist), you will have a really hard time reaching those progression rewards again because when you are caught unshielded, it will be broadcast in a chatroom and people will be asked to attack you.

Anyways, I hope you find this guide helpful. it should be immediately useful to people with solid 3* rosters and up, but I hope players who are not there yet can also find usefulness in knowing what to expect in high end play and also in what types of characters to invest/prioritize.

Comments

• wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    thanks for posting, great advice! i have been working on my PVP game this season with fully-covered, under-leveled (140) 3*s, and can attest to this strategy. i've never hit 1K prior to this season, but have managed to do so using these methods in all 6 PVPs so far this season.

i love your terminology 'juicy queue'...i think i have a new name now! 140s, even boosted, are just a quick snack, a tasty morsel, a single dim sum, to the maxed 4*s that tend to climb a little later. inevitably, i go through a period when i'm hovering where 270s come and just start putting on a clinic. i'm talking triple-tapped by some. it's insanely frustrating, but the saving grace here is that once you get to know your slice and who the guys are that end with 1300+, you learn to sit on those retal nodes for when you need a 60-75 pt match on a hop. trust me that almost any 4* team is beatable with the right boosted team and liberal use of boosts/TUs...and a burning desire for vengeance icon_e_smile.gif
  • Thank you, it's nice to know what to expect and to set reasonable goals.
  • You made yourself a lot of work to present this here, great! Thank you!
  • Thank you kindly for taking the time to put this together. Very helpful guide. I feel inspired!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I might have a few disagreements over your specific lists of 3* quality, but this is very helpful advice that more or less tracks with my own experience hitting 1k throughout the summer.

I would add that if you only care about hitting the 1k prog, then trying to get there between 12-24 hours is the sweet spot. Enough points in the system to provide easy targets and reduce the risk of being attacked, but not as much action as the last 11 hours.
  • Hayek
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you've been finding it helpful.

Vhailorx, the choices I made in these lists are based on how good the character is (and more importantly how well the AI can play him) and also on psychology. For instance, I think icon_beast.png is actually a good character, but he has been a joke for so long that he's still somewhat of a target when you use him in PvP. On the other hand, icon_carnage.png is excellent for his speed, but actually very easy to defeat by denying red and waiting to cast your abilities until you can stun or 1HKO him. Yet he is a very effective scarecrow against the 800 to 1000 crowd.

Just to give you some perspective, I've got five 4 star.png characters at level 250, which give me a pretty good shot at having a useful boosted 4 every week. I have hit the 1300 progression reward in every PvP this season. I'm saying this to use myself as an example because I'm one of the players who's going to be looking for 3 star.png teams to hit between the 800 and 1000 point mark. Now, 3 star.png teams don't often pose a threat to my roster, but I still do skip some teams just on the annoyance factor alone. Here's my thinking process behind my lists of 3 star.png characters.

- blacklisted: I went through all the 3 star.png in my roster as if I were looking for a team to hit at the 900 mark and asked myself, what would I do If I saw this character boosted at level 240 in a team? If the answer was - well, depends on the team, then they didn't make this list. If the answer was - no doubt hit them! Then they made this list. I don't speak for all players of course, but we do have discussions about these things in my alliance and these seem to be the characters people are relieved to see when they look for points.

- good 3s: The process was the similar - I went throught all the 3 star.png in my roster as if I were looking for a team to hit at the 900 mark and asked myself, if I saw a team that had this character in it and it was NOT boosted (so level 166), would I skip it? If the answer was sometimes, then they made this list. To be honest, the only ones I commonly skip are icon_hood.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_ironfist.png. The first 2 because of the how much can go wrong in a match just because of their passives, and the third I skip if I'm trying to conserve health packs because maybe I'm grinding a PvE that day. The others that made this list I may skip depending on who they are paired with and who my team is.

I hope this clarifies why I made those choices. But of course, it's only my opinion. I'm simply letting people know what would work if I were the person looking for points.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    where does Daken fit into this all?
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Glad to see the concept of game etiquette can live on somewhere on this forum icon_e_geek.gif
  • Hi, can you advice a noob here? I was in top25 or even top5 a couple of times with a roster of a few maxed 2* heroes (Daken, Ares, Thor, Storm, Magneto, Wolverine, OBW). Sometimes I can't even reach top100. Can I do something to increase my chances to get into top25? Choose a specific slices, start at specific time, play at specific time, don't climb too high maybe? Or is it just pure luck and I will not be able to reach top25 until I have fully covered 3*?
  • Hayek
    Blahahah wrote:
    where does Daken fit into this all?

Daken is good when he's boosted to 240. At 166, I wouldn't use him past 800 points.
    dontpanic wrote:
    Hi, can you advice a noob here? I was in top25 or even top5 a couple of times with a roster of a few maxed 2* heroes (Daken, Ares, Thor, Storm, Magneto, Wolverine, OBW). Sometimes I can't even reach top100. Can I do something to increase my chances to get into top25? Choose a specific slices, start at specific time, play at specific time, don't climb too high maybe? Or is it just pure luck and I will not be able to reach top25 until I have fully covered 3*?

If you're going for placement and not progression, you want to do the opposite of what I mentioned in this guide when looking for a shard. You want to find a lazy shard and you want to join it as late as you possibly can. PvP brackets have 500 people. If you join in the last few hours, there's a chance that a bracket will have just filled up and you will be one of the first few people to join. If that's the case, no only do you fight for placement against people who only have a few hours to climb, but the bracket will end up with 200 or so people. So you only need to be top 25 out of 200 instead of 25 out of 500.
    Square wrote:
    Glad to see the concept of game etiquette can live on somewhere on this forum icon_e_geek.gif

Many people have the wrong attitude (in my opinion) about the guys that climb early and climb high. They think that taking those people down is serving up some icon_colossus.png justice because no one should be climbing that high, and then they don't understand why the 700-1000 zone in their shard is a meat grinder and they can't reach the 1k progression reward. Those early climbers are spending a lot more on shields than most people, and they are serving as a source of high point queues to the 1.3k progression tier of players, who then themselves serve as a source of high point queues to 1k progression crowd. You take away those guys, and I know that many of the 1.3k progression people (myself included) wouldn't bother going for that reward because it would be too much of a headache. The end result is a shard where the 4 star.png rosters are sitting in the 800-1000 range and the 3 star.png rosters can't get through it.
  • boostedseo
    boostedseo Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Just hit my first 1k. This guide went a long way to making that possible. I used a couple more shields than I wanted but I played it safe. The class of 2015 event had a lot of high end boosted characters, and I'm a 2-3 transitioned so a had to be picky.
  • grapez
    grapez Posts: 50
    could you let me know exactly which time slice is ideal to pick?
    ive heard for progression you want more points so the last two time slots are best because all the top alliances will be there due to them wanting to score high and get the top alliance rank rewards. therefore matches in the later slices are usually have higher point rewards. is that right?

in the guide you made it seem like you can take a look at the players already in that time slice before entering? is that possible?

thanks!!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    grapez wrote:
    could you let me know exactly which time slice is ideal to pick?
    ive heard for progression you want more points so the last two time slots are best because all the top alliances will be there due to them wanting to score high and get the top alliance rank rewards. therefore matches in the later slices are usually have higher point rewards. is that right?

in the guide you made it seem like you can take a look at the players already in that time slice before entering? is that possible?

thanks!!
    It changes a bit. Slice 1 (the first to start) was a great slice in the past, but then the top alliances migrated to slice 3 it seems - that's the one I have had best success with lately at least. You'll have to look around a bit for yourself I am afraid...
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Should I be able to reach 1,000 points with my roster? I tried to but I kept getting smacked down in the Falcon PVP around 650 or so points. Matchups have been horrid.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great information here, thanks for sharing it with everyone!

If i were going to critique anything, I'd just suggest maybe changing the lingo part a little bit? I only say that because some of the terms you used I've never heard used that way and/or used in a completely different fashion. For example;

- Blacklisting/ed is term I commonly see used to refer to people that have been "unethical" and you're not playing nice with at the moment (i.e. someone triple tapped a truce member and now they're blacklisted and free to hit).

- What you referred to as a "hover point" I used see just referred to as the 'safe zone' or 'floating' or just equilibrium.

None the less, lots of great information and ideas here, thanks again for sharing.
  • Thank you very much for the guide!
      Should I max the levels of Loki and Hood? If not, what level/s should I keep them at?
  • Skymedium
    Skymedium Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Great guide! Most certainly gonna learn myself the key points.
  • pantsants
    pantsants Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Yes!! Thanks so much for this guide. I finally was able to break the 1k point progression reward and earn my first 4* cover from a pvp event!
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Hayek,

Perhaps you can bold the "etiquette" section. Nothing is as frustrating as getting hit when hopping and coming just shy of 1300.

If you see a 2* team for 75 points, please wait five minutes before attacking it.

Thanks,

Everyone
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    Hayek,

Perhaps you can bold the "etiquette" section. Nothing is as frustrating as getting hit when hopping and coming just shy of 1300.

If you see a 2* team for 75 points, please wait five minutes before attacking it.

Thanks,

Everyone
    completely agree peej. however, sometimes timing is just bad. I beat a 4* team only to come out and have the cc team offered to me right behind, meaning I hit them as they were baking. waited and hr and checked the leaderboard and they were #. hopped, and then checked the leaderboard and they were unshielded. sniped them twice an hr apart, but didn't hit an active cc. bad things happen - I immediately sent a message through a third party (they aren't on the forum that I know of). anyway. the more courtesy to ccs the better for all.