Hayek's guide to reaching high PvP progression rewards

Options

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a different feeling on Hood as scary to go up against in PvP. I like to target teams with him because he is so squishy and easy to kill before his AP drain usually makes a big difference, unless he is boosted of course. Every once in a while he can mess up a match but normally he goes down with the first power you fire if it is a decent one. Switch can be scary depending on the team make up. IF is always a pain because you know you are going to take damage and he works well with several other characters, so I agree he is usually a good one to avoid.
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What would you consider the best defensive teams using only a fully covered 3* lineup? I'm in late 3*/early 4* transition and would like to grab more of those legendary tokens. Thanks for the guide.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What would you consider the best defensive teams using only a fully covered 3* lineup? I'm in late 3*/early 4* transition and would like to grab more of those legendary tokens. Thanks for the guide.

At high scores (1000 and above), there are no best defensive team. You will get hit if you are worth a lot of points.

The only real defence is speed.
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    On average, how many hp are people spending on a typical 3-day PvP? And what types of shields(duration)&when?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On average, how many hp are people spending on a typical 3-day PvP? And what types of shields(duration)&when?
    man that depends on so many things. roster strength, desired pts, and slice all play into it. my first trip to 1K I spent 600+ hp, but only had 1-166 at the time (iirc). I then got to where I could do it pretty consistently with a 3/8/optional 3 schedule. then I decided to go all in for hb red at 1300 (with unboosted fist/cage) and spent well over 1500 hp on that (but also learned a ton in that process). I've since finished hb and jean and can usually hit 1000 with no shields and 1300 with 3/8/3 or 3/8/3/8 (many times when my schedule dictates a 3/8/3/8 I end up well above 1300). that is sometimes dependent on slice too - some have more pts than others. I know some that don't shield until 1200+, I've made it to 1100s before first shield but I've also gotten beaten down hard when I tried it too, so its all variable.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    My question is how do people afford shielding strategies in terms of HP consistently without buying HP? I know you recoup some of it back from placement rewards but in my experience it is never enough to replace what you spent on HP to get there on a pure HP to HP basis when shielding. I suppose top alliances earn more HP due to alliance rewards too. I can never effectively shield hop on every PvP due the HP cost.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    My question is how do people afford shielding strategies in terms of HP consistently without buying HP?
    if you take roster slots out of the equation, I'm hp positive. roster slots make my hp dwindle slowly and yes, I buy hp. in chunks about 6+ months apart.

I'm basically guaranteed 750 hp/week through pvp (3X individual t50 and 3X alliance t25). throw in a few t50 subs per week in pve (on average), alliance t250/100 in pve, some pve progression, and every once in a while a pvp t10. probably average 1000 hp/week. probably spend ~900-950/week in shields. roster slots are a pain though.

bottom line, to use 900-1000 hp in shields per week it will almost require you to either 1) play pve consistently at a high level (t50 every sub) or 2) buy some hp every once in a while.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I usually go for one 8-hour shield and one 3-hour shield when I go for 1300 point progression. That's a fairly manageable cost considering how much is coming in through other channels.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:
    My question is how do people afford shielding strategies in terms of HP consistently without buying HP?
    if you take roster slots out of the equation, I'm hp positive. roster slots make my hp dwindle slowly and yes, I buy hp. in chunks about 6+ months apart.

I'm basically guaranteed 750 hp/week through pvp (3X individual t50 and 3X alliance t25). throw in a few t50 subs per week in pve (on average), alliance t250/100 in pve, some pve progression, and every once in a while a pvp t10. probably average 1000 hp/week. probably spend ~900-950/week in shields. roster slots are a pain though.

bottom line, to use 900-1000 hp in shields per week it will almost require you to either 1) play pve consistently at a high level (t50 every sub) or 2) buy some hp every once in a while.

OK, thanks Moose for the breakdown of how you sustain the HP. The play consistently is my problem as I don't play every PvP and go weeks without playing PvP sometimes. I play more PvE (at least recently) and PvE doesn't give much for HP, so that makes sense. My biggest problem is that I can usually place high in rankings T10 if I try at all but can never quite get to 1000 before people jump in and knock me down, even when trying to shield hop it has backfired on me. My slices also don't seem to have high scorers as 800 will usually place you #1 or at least top 5 in my experience.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:

OK, thanks Moose for the breakdown of how you sustain the HP. The play consistently is my problem as I don't play every PvP and go weeks without playing PvP sometimes. I play more PvE (at least recently) and PvE doesn't give much for HP, so that makes sense. The timing part for shield hopping is difficult for me because I am a PC player and I play the game as I have time/opportunity, something this game isn't conducive to. I can usually place high in rankings T10 if I try at all but can never quite get to 1000 before people jump in and knock me down, even when trying to shield hop it has backfired on me. My slices also don't seem to have high scorers as 800 will usually place you #1 or at least top 5 in my experience.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:

OK, thanks Moose for the breakdown of how you sustain the HP. The play consistently is my problem as I don't play every PvP and go weeks without playing PvP sometimes. I play more PvE (at least recently) and PvE doesn't give much for HP, so that makes sense. The timing part for shield hopping is difficult for me because I am a PC player (as opposed to mobile convenience) and I play the game as I have time/opportunity, something this game isn't conducive to. I can usually place high in rankings T10 if I try at all but can never quite get to 1000 before people jump in and knock me down, even when trying to shield hop it has backfired on me. My slices also don't seem to have high scorers as 800 will usually place you #1 or at least top 5 in my experience.
  • skippytx
    Options

Like others have said there are no good defensive teams really. I don't even worry about defense anymore. The AI/CPU/whatever can't play the team as well as we can. It's just not smart enough. Defensive wins are also worth a tiny amount of points, I think the most I've ever won is 7. If you're worth points, someone is going to attack you. If you're not shielded and just floating you can put in a roster that makes you less attractive to attack for the number of points your worth, but I don't think it's worth putting effort into thinking about the defensive side of things tbh.

Quebbster wrote:
    I usually go for one 8-hour shield and one 3-hour shield when I go for 1300 point progression. That's a fairly manageable cost considering how much is coming in through other channels.

I'm not sure what your roster looks like, but I needed, and sometimes still need to use 3-8-3 to hit 1300, and that's with being in an organized alliance. I run mostly boosted 3*'s in PVP and once I'm over 1K points there are no shortage of 4* players that like to win some easy matches.

Generally I try to get to 900 before my first shield. I float around 550 or so, then try to push to about 900, I find it's important to make this push before 11hrs or less in the PVP event because most of the good targets shield for the the last 11 hours or so. After that it's organized shield hops to 1K and beyond. I get to 1300 about 50% of the time.
  • Is slice 3 still the go to slice?
  • Hi there.

I need some tips on understanding the PVP mechanics. I'm a 2* team, slowly pushing a few 3* chars to level 94. Up until now I've approached PVP the same way: join very late (usually one hour to the end), play until I'm out of health packs and hope for a good placement. I have always scored between 400 to 600 points doing that. (incidentally, I don't know why but I didn't have a top100 placement at all last season using this method icon_e_confused.gif ).

Now, for this Christmas PVP, I wanted to try something different. Didn't want She-Hulk so I went for progression, since the prizes were better than usual.

Here is what I did:

- Started playing 12 hours to the end, went for 250 points. Then played a little around 6 hours to the end, went for 350 points. No attacks
    - Pushed for real when it was 2 hours until the end. I managed to climb to 680ish points until my first attack. Didn't mind it, pushed for more points and I got to 760ish points. Then, on my last match (was already out of health packs) that would have got me 800 points and that Magneto cover that I wanted badly, I couldn't win it. The AI **** me with cascades and mean TUs. icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif Worst of all, if I had won the match I could have made it because I wasn't attacked during. But that's the game, I'm not complaining, it was just really bad luck.

Anyway, is this method good? Could it be better? Any advices to help me reach my first 800 point-prize?

Also, help me understand one other thing: when I was climbing, I played against someone with a medium, under-leveled team, really not that hard, with 41 points. One or two games later, I found what I thought to be the same team, again with 41 points. I saw his name, attacked him and that was it. When the game was over, a few skips later, there he was again, this time I checked his name, same team, same 41 points. How come I see the same guy 3 times with 41 points? I didn't attacked him the 3rd time, thought it wouldn't be nice to be hit 3 times by the same person. Or is this guy there on purpose to "give people some easy points" ?

thanks!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The biggest deterrents for me are those that eat up my play time. If I have to choose between a team with around 50k health and one with 30k health, I'll pick the 30k team.

To answer the previous post, it's not unusual to see the same names repeatedly, but it is odd that they had the same score every time. If you're climbing steadily, they should be worth fewer and fewer points to you.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    unless they're climbing at the same time. really try and avoid DT when I see that because you'll be in each others queues a lot if that's happening.
  • skippytx
    skippytx Posts: 89
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    Is slice 3 still the go to slice?

For placement or points?

I play Slice 4, it probably has the most points available as several of the T10 PVP teams play in S4. That's great for hitting high point targets and going for the progression rewards. Not great for trying to place in the T100. I don't care about placement anymore as my 3* roster is done. Getting 1K and 1.3K progression rewards are what I'm after for those 4* covers.

Just for an idea on how bad placement can be in slice 4, I've been knocked out of the top 50 before in a bracket with a score in the low 1300's. T100 is usually over 1K, and it's routine to see guys with 2200+ points in PVP. T10 cutoff can be 1800 points sometimes.

edit Dec 30, 2015: The most recent Web 2.0 PVP is a good example of S4 scoring. #1 in my bracket has 2461 pts, top 10 cutoff was 2057 pts. I scored 1316 points and came in 67th! in the bracket. 67th! Scores were pretty high, good list of buffed characters and people coming back from the holidays wanting to make up points. PVP scores were down a bit the last 2 events due to folks spending time with family and loved ones.
  • skippytx wrote:
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    Is slice 3 still the go to slice?

For placement or points?

I play Slice 4, it probably has the most points available as several of the T10 PVP teams play in S4. That's great for hitting high point targets and going for the progression rewards. Not great for trying to place in the T100. I don't care about placement anymore as my 3* roster is done. Getting 1K and 1.3K progression rewards are what I'm after for those 4* covers.

Just for an idea on how bad placement can be in slice 4, I've been knocked out of the top 50 before in a bracket with a score in the low 1300's. T100 is usually over 1K, and it's routine to see guys with 2200+ points in PVP. T10 cutoff can be 1800 points sometimes.

Cool, thanks! Yea, all I care about is progression.
  • ferig wrote:
    I need some tips on understanding the PVP mechanics. I'm a 2* team, slowly pushing a few 3* chars to level 94. Up until now I've approached PVP the same way: join very late (usually one hour to the end), play until I'm out of health packs and hope for a good placement. I have always scored between 400 to 600 points doing that. (incidentally, I don't know why but I didn't have a top100 placement at all last season using this method icon_e_confused.gif ).

I am at the maxed 2* level and always play for progression. With no shields, the 650 token should virtually always be achievable, sometimes the 725 HP, very rarely the 800 depending on boosted/featured characters (i.e. I got lucky once). I find it easier to climb earlier in the event as a 2* because you are an extremely juicy queue; you really need to find a time when enough points are available for you to reach 650-800 from your hover spot, but very few people and no heavyweights are climbing simultaneously. Usually play some seed teams immediately, climb to 400 or so quickly, get knocked down to 300ish after some time passes, then climb as hard as I can and hope.

I'm looking for input, there's not a lot of focus on 2* PVP strategy! This is just what I do.
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    How do 5* characters factor into this? I have a single cover for only one at the moment, and I'm barely able to make 800 - even with shield hopping. Is there a scaling issue?