Posting Videos and Calling Out Players

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    dider152 wrote:
    Since the IceIX is so interested in closing threads instead of actually replying, I'll go ahead and post what I posted in my other thread, entitled "Okay, this has to be said..." I'm beginning to dislike IceIX, from his blatant lies about SS not affecting scaling to his closing of threads.

I would suggest, if you want your voice heard in a positive and interactive way, calling the forum moderator a liar that you don't like is not the right road to take.

IceIX has done a great job recently with the constant updates and posted information. He's also civil and responds directly to posts here. I appreciate that even if it isn't always what I want to hear. You should too.

The mods have made it very clear they werent comfortable with the way KD was being called out and they acted in the way they saw fit. That's their right as its their forum. Things have gotten out of hand before with the sniping war discussions and I think they want to avoid that.

If you feel it's heavy handed then do so in a constructive way and maybe the feedback will be more to your liking.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just chiming in on this.. it was something actively discussed before anything was posted here, so please do not think this was a rushed rule clarification. We have the MPQ Video club from time to time, and yes, seeing fights like the one in the video that started all of this, is pretty fun as well, watched it a couple times myself.

That being said, it takes seconds to blur out the opponents name. Basically, all we are asking for is common courtesy.. nothing more.

Ok, mod part done.. now for me..

I will be the first to admit, that i enjoy being snarky, and have taken a couple liberties before i ever became a mod, but, even I, being my usual grumpy old man self, have never called out a player by name in a way other than a kudos or to get their attention so they can help with advice or whatnot. No-one likes being singled out for anything negative.

All arguments can be polarizing, but even presidential candidates end up going the negative, name calling, bad videos route.. I for one, skip/change channels when that garbage comes on the TV or Radio.... what does that tell you? Even listening to it can be irksome.

Side Mod note: For those not as technologically savvy as others.. if someone would post instructions on how to blur out names in a video, it would be appreciated. I know how to do it for myself.. but the tools i have at work are not readily available to everyone. So anyone practiced in using Android apps, Ios Apps, freeware, etc.. type editors, please make a SINGLE thread with tutorials.. It will get stickied, and when enough info to cover all versions and operating systems are in, it will be given a nice place in the tips and guides section for all to see.. but will remain in GD for quite some time first.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I'm going to try to address some of the concerns regarding the video post in question and mod practice in general. To be honest, as far as I am aware this is the first time we have run into this sort of situation so there were no particular rules or guidelines available to follow. The problem with the video post was that it mentioned a specific player who has recently been the target of a lot of attention (both positive and negative) and has previously stated their displeasure in receiving some of that attention.

We received feedback from a few forum members who felt the mentioning of the aforementioned player was inappropriate and were concerned that the post would make the player a target for attack. A decision was made to err on the side of caution so the thread was locked and the video was later removed.

As a mod, I understand why action was taken in regards to that post but I have also voiced my dissent with how the matter was handled to David and the other mods. We are actively discussing how to handle such situations in the future, one of the results of which was this post clarifying forum rules on posting videos and mentioning of other players.

In regards to the issue of determining "intent" when mentioning other players, we will do our best to give fair and just judgements. Obviously that leaves open the possibility of making mistakes and misjudgments but I rather take that risk than have a zero tolerance policy that would deny the opportunity to celebrate great achievements and amazing feats (and that silly mod rivalry between Dayv and Jamie).

Unfortunately we are not perfect and we occasionally will make missteps (originally locking this thread being one of them). However, we will continue to strive to do our best to serve the forum community. And I want to emphasize that: We are here to serve the community, not silence it, and you are within your rights to complain when you feel we are not living up to that role.

Sincerely,
    fight4thedream

People just need to chill. The forums aren't a democracy and making mod decisions isn't censorship.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Gee, I thought I graduated from high school years ago....
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    It's pretty simple. We're just trying to keep the forums a friendly, inviting place for all players.

Posts and videos that focus on a specific player can cause the player being singled out distress, both in-game and out. We'd like to avoid that whenever possible.

Please see Forum Rules #6. This isn't a new forum rule, but recent additions to the game seem to have prompted more frequent posts and videos where we've needed to be more active with moderation.

It's always a work-in-progress trying to have our moderation work well for the majority of forum users. Thanks for understanding and being mindful of the rules.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]It's pretty simple. We're just trying to keep the forums a friendly, inviting place for all players.

Posts and videos that focus on a specific player can cause the player being singled out distress, both in-game and out. We'd like to avoid that whenever possible.

Please see Forum Rules #6. This isn't a new forum rule, but recent additions to the game seem to have prompted more frequent posts and videos where we've needed to be more active with moderation.

It's always a work-in-progress trying to have our moderation work well for the majority of forum users. Thanks for understanding and being mindful of the rules.

You're actually protecting the minority until (or if) it becomes a majority. You can pass it off as being proactive but even that is just words that have no real meaning, just a perceived meaning. At this point you just want us to comply because you said so and because you have the ban hammer button then we will comply. When I signed up for this board just now I didn't click a box that said "click for mod protection".

It's not just the users that give this place a high school feel.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Posts and videos that focus on a specific player can cause the player being singled out distress, both in-game and out. We'd like to avoid that whenever possible.

While I agree that's entirely possible, if not likely, should it not at least be proven that such distress has taken place before moderation is brought about? Especially if the post is good natured and jovial as opposed to outright offensive?

If it's offensive then yeah, obviously take it down because that breaks more rules than just one. But if the post is friendly and open or the person involved hasn't even seen it ti be affected by it, I fail to spot the issue.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about we all just relax and focus on the upcoming 2nd Anniversary! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Posts and videos that focus on a specific player can cause the player being singled out distress, both in-game and out. We'd like to avoid that whenever possible.

While I agree that's entirely possible, if not likely, should it not at least be proven that such distress has taken place before moderation is brought about? Especially if the post is good natured and jovial as opposed to outright offensive?

If it's offensive then yeah, obviously take it down because that breaks more rules than just one. But if the post is friendly and open or the person involved hasn't even seen it ti be affected by it, I fail to spot the issue.

I think it's more that they are trying to crack down on the apparent stigma associated with SS, and probably any future 5*s, that it becomes a big kick me sign. I think it's a bit of wasted effort since most of the people who are going to coordinate hits against 5*s aren't doing it here but over alliance communications like Line.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think people are missing a simple fact.

the rules exist, whether you like them or not is irrelevant you have to abide by them. Many people disagree with many laws but are still required to follow them to be a participating member of society. Same goes here, when in another mans house you follow his rules and this house belongs to D3, we are simply guests in it that like to have a chin wag. If you want to follow different rules then you would need to find or invent a new forum that you agree with.
  • That's not entirely true. No one here is claiming anarchy and going to go against the rules. That is what moderators do, enforce the rules (like cops).

But if you want to change something, your voice has to be heard and they have given us an outlet to voice our disagreements. They don't have to change, but I have a feeling they will at least read these messages and think about it. If for some reason they continue on heavy fisted, it's possible people will quit the game and or leave the forums. It's a delicate balance for sure.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Jamie Madrox called out a player once.

Scientists refer to it as "The Big Bang".
  • Wow. This puts me squarely in th camp of "too old for this shat"

The real world is going to be rough on some of these sandy folks.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Jpinkiepie wrote:
    You're actually protecting the minority until (or if) it becomes a majority. You can pass it off as being proactive but even that is just words that have no real meaning, just a perceived meaning. At this point you just want us to comply because you said so and because you have the ban hammer button then we will comply. When I signed up for this board just now I didn't click a box that said "click for mod protection". It's not just the users that give this place a high school feel.

@CoolB76/Jpinkiepie: Posting in threads while temporarily banned from the forums is not allowed. Please see the Forum Rules.

Thanks.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Back on topic... I don't think this is a good idea. We may end up hitting our own teammates.

Right... because hitting your own alliance isn't *exactly* how people are currently climbing above 1300....

Not all of us NEED to hop off teammates. Case in point: Myself and a number of my alliance mates. We can hit 1300 just fine without inter-alliance coordinated hopping. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Back on topic... I don't think this is a good idea. We may end up hitting our own teammates.

Right... because hitting your own alliance isn't *exactly* how people are currently climbing above 1300....

Not all of us NEED to hop off teammates. Case in point: Myself and a number of my alliance mates. We can hit 1300 just fine without inter-alliance coordinated hopping. icon_rolleyes.gif

Above 1300? That requires coordination and intention shield climbing.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:

Above 1300? That requires coordination and intention shield climbing.

I've hit 1500 before without coordination and intention shield climbing. Thanks to an overachieving top-5 alliance that shall-not-be-named-here. They're kinda villainous, though icon_e_wink.gif

Anyway I think i kinda sorta maybe (or not) understand where you're coming from. But your argument doesn't make any sense. If you've Q'd 3 of your mates, how would you know/remember who is who 3 hours later when you want to shield check them if their names do not appear on screen? I'm advocating NOT removing IGN's from PVP, if you've understood my earlier posts.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    My turn! I'll preface by saying that this is all personal opinion and none of this is "mod talk".

I don't like that the thread was locked (and later removed), but I do understand why it panned out like it did.

One of my biggest pet-peeves in life is when you use the rules to punish someone not doing something wrong because somebody else did something similar but were being counter-productive.

The bottom line here is the lock and removal of the video was a knee-jerk reaction to try and protect a forum user from negative attention. I think trying to pin the other mods as bad guys for it is petty. That's what we're here for; to keep the forums friendly and organized.

As it's been mentioned, there were a few threads just days before where they were talking about how he was close and it was ruining the game, etc etc etc. Plenty of the Tumblr-ian "cis scum" talk about whaling, blah blah blah.

I think we call agree that that's not okay behaviour. I think we can all agree that the old saying 'history repeats itself' stands true about 90% of the time as well.

It was a preventative measure. That's all. If you think it's more than that, I think you should probably be donning more than a tinfoil hat from your bunker.

So, tl;dr: I don't like that it was locked and later removed from a normal person's perspective - however I do agree that it was probably the best course of action from an administrative point of view.

===

As for the rule enforcement on 'name blurs' in videos....honestly, meh. I didn't get a chance to say anything about it before the post went up, but I'm not the biggest fan. Intention and context should be weighted heavier than the 'Word of Gaben'. The intention of the video was to show that Silver Surfer was beatable (and how to), and with all context I know of, the person in question has no conflict of interest, past track record, etc to imply that there might have been malice behind it.

I don't think it's terrible or anything. I feel like if you're recording YouTube videos you probably have the capacity to work a way to blur a name out. It's not a big deal at all. It just wouldn't have been my course of action.

===

Of course, all that being said, I don't mean to pour any negative light on anyone; I applaud my fellow mods for acting quickly (even if I do not agree with the actions, I would rather one act than falter), I applaud the uploader for toppling the big bad wolf (seriously though, wow!), and I applaud Dread for acquiring Silver Surfer so quickly (yeah, maybe you didn't "skill your way" to it, but you know what, without guys like you, there wouldn't be a MPQ, so keep doing you!).

Hopefully we can all hold hands after all this and sing hymns of the Great Surfer to the Lord of the Token and pray all our pulls be purple!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dystrophy wrote:
    I'm so sick of this "politically correct" garbage...in a video game no less. When will it stop?

Donald Trump plays MPQ! Cool!
  • Dystrophy wrote:
    I'm so sick of this "politically correct" garbage...in a video game no less. When will it stop?

Donald Trump plays MPQ! Cool!

"That's Mr Trump to you, young'un. Don't make me fire you."