Posting Videos and Calling Out Players

fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings and Salutations True Believers!

In light of a recent incident regarding a post of a game-play video, we felt it would be helpful to clarify the forum's stance on posting such videos and the mentioning of other players in posts. We welcome and encourage you to post links to videos of your greatest matches as long as you respect the privacy of other players. (i.e. please be sure to edit out the display of your opponent's name if posting a PvP match video). Mentioning of other players in posts is permitted as long as you are respectful of the player and no malicious intent can be reasonably perceived from the post. We apologize if this was not clear previously and hope that you understand our desire to keep the forums a friendly, positive place for everyone.

If you feel you are being unfairly targeted or do not wish for your name to appear in a post, please do not hesitate to report the post or contact a moderator or David.

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Unlocking this for discussion since people are taking it upon themselves to make multiple threads otherwise. That being said, it is *very* unlikely that you're going to sway any policy here. We have had multiple players recently (not just the obvious) become targets due to various reasons. It's great to talk about "how to beat high level 5*s" or "How to beat the boosted 270 team" in the abstract. It's another to call out a specific player and say "This is how to beat this guy/gal". One is a gameplay thing. The other is an incitement to single out a given player in our player base. You, personally, may not look at the thread and go "Oh, that person, I'll hit him too!" but unfortunately, you can't speak for the rest of the forum-posting playerbase, much less the people that happily lurk and read threads but don't post.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not trying to sway policy; I'm just pointing out the glaring inconsistency with forum policies, rules, and regulations. Trust me, I LOVE this game, but I dislike the silencing of a person's voice and thoughts more. The current policy stated above where it's okay to cite a name (if loving, cuddly, and respectable about it), but not okay to show a video with an associated name (even if you're being just as loving and cuddly) makes absolutely no sense.

I will point out that I'm further irked that the last two posts I started regarding the inconsistencies regarding the issue by the devs and the mods have both been locked. In both posts all I did was ask VERY valid questions. The result, as stated above, was my thread was locked.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I appreciate the clarification. I was just confused about that one particular post and didn't understand why that particular thread was locked.

I'm more of an observer mostly because I have no interest in posting about other players or the technical skills to post a video. I know mods are busy, but I guess I don't know why the player's name was not edited similar to how tiny kitty works and the video link removed until it meet the guidelines.

My concern is if "intent" is going to be a judgment call in iffy circumstances, I'm not sure locked threads is the fairest solution, even if it is the most efficient.

Obviously, cheater threads should be locked; however, if the player's name is left in the locked thread, it seems like the player named is still being penalized. If you know what I mean.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Part of this is that he's been called out and spoken about SO OFTEN in these threads, from people admiring him to those calling him a liar about how much he spent, and he's not an active participant here, so it's not like the tongue in cheek "jamie madrox" posts. it doesn't sit well with me if people feel encouraged to seek him out in the game and attack him just to make a video about it to show others. like it or not it's not just a roster, there's a person behind it as well, and one who has demonstrated that he has no interest in continuing to engage with the forum as well.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe the mods went in and deleted any negative threads regarding the player, but I sure didn't see any in the multiple posts that have been locked. All I saw was admiration.
    There does seem to be some heavy handed modding lately especially in regards to locking threads. I'd love to hear raisinbman's take on this, yet he seems to have dissapeared for no reason.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    zonatahunt wrote:
    I will point out that I'm further irked that the last two posts I started regarding the inconsistencies regarding the issue by the devs and the mods have both been locked. In both posts all I did was ask VERY valid questions. The result, as stated above, was my thread was locked.

It was clearly stated the reason for your other threads to be locked. This thread was unlocked so all discussion on this topic would be in one place.

You didn't see that?
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Aces, the second post, yes...the first one being moved to a forum where no life exists...that's the one that bugged. Regardless, all I want to see as a forumite is consistency.
  • The mods fear that things will degrade into this: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=15&t=18785&p=249685&hilit=sotkra#p249685

That said, "intent", whether malicious or otherwise, is highly subjective. If someone posts my ign congratulating me for something in-game or rather, to the rest of the forum it might seem like no rule was being broken. But to me or a few others, they might take offense to it for whatever reason.

I think the mods should consider disallowing the posting of ANY IGN for ANY reason, lest the person's ign and forum name is the same (like mine) and the person is trying to get my attention in my capacity as a forumite.

Perhaps the only ones who can post ign's would be mods and devs, in their capacity as mods and devs for the sake of regulations/contests. All problems would be solved then. Amiright?
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    I'd love to hear xxxxxxx's take on this, yet he seems to have dissapeared for no reason.

If you're truly interested in why he's not around, you only have to look up his rep sheet on the forums... That person was perma-banned on 9th Sept 2015 for : "Rules infractions and multiple warnings; including trolling, spamming and posting links to game spoilers."

Just found out that he was also banned from the Facebook page for doing "similar things".

Cheers.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deadpooool wrote:
    I think the mods should consider disallowing the posting of ANY IGN for ANY reason, lest the person's ign and forum name is the same (like mine) and the person is trying to get my attention in my capacity as a forumite.

Perhaps the only ones who can post ign's would be mods and devs, in their capacity as mods and devs for the sake of regulations/contests. All problems would be solved then. Amiright?

Actually, I think IGNs will be the next to go. They're already integral in out-of-game communication, which goes against their "spirit of the game". If we can't see the IGN of players in our queues - or in proximity to us on ladders - then we can't actually target specific players. This also singlehandedly removes the possibility of offensive names, which will free up a lot of time for CS.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Mawtful wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:

Actually, I think IGNs will be the next to go. They're already integral in out-of-game communication, which goes against their "spirit of the game". If we can't see the IGN of players in our queues - or in proximity to us on ladders - then we can't actually target specific players. This also singlehandedly removes the possibility of offensive names, which will free up a lot of time for CS.

I don't think that's a bad idea actually in regards to queues. I can only think of a single reason why not. The single reason is that there are cheaters out there. Players are the best eyes and ears for players that slip through the cracks. For better or worse, ign's are the most effective way to identify these particular players.

You say it would make cs' job easier. However, I'm sure many whales already get reported. Imagine how many reports there'll be if players only see rosters without the ign's attached.

Concerning leaderboards, where's there's competition, leaderboards are integral.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    After the way my posts from yesterday were treated I felt compelled to leave the forum. I have no interest in being part of a community that censors its participants in this fashion. However, after the opening of this thread and the reaction of other forumites I feel obligated to say my part since I am the one who posted that video.

Nothing in my original post, the content in the video itself or the subsequent discussion was dedicated to the owner of that Silver surfer. No judgement or description of his character as a player or as a person was made, either positive or negative. No one encouraged other players to actively go hit him. His name was mentioned strictly for context so other players knew what they were watching. The argument saying that I violated his privacy is ridiculous. Revealing a person's real name or address is a violation of privacy, referencing a gamer screenname isn't.

The thing that bugs me the most is how all this censorship seems to be made only to protect D3's best customer from public shaming, real or imaginary. VIP treatment. As a player who also has spent money in this game, being censored like this to protect the biggest spender only adds insult to injury. Really makes you think that the wallet not only pulls its weight in the game, but the forum as well.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Unlocking this for discussion since people are taking it upon themselves to make multiple threads otherwise. That being said, it is *very* unlikely that you're going to sway any policy here. We have had multiple players recently (not just the obvious) become targets due to various reasons. It's great to talk about "how to beat high level 5*s" or "How to beat the boosted 270 team" in the abstract. It's another to call out a specific player and say "This is how to beat this guy/gal". One is a gameplay thing. The other is an incitement to single out a given player in our player base. You, personally, may not look at the thread and go "Oh, that person, I'll hit him too!" but unfortunately, you can't speak for the rest of the forum-posting playerbase, much less the people that happily lurk and read threads but don't post.

It's funny that we can't use the forums to do this, but people use line all the time to 'bully' opponents. You have created a game that fosters berating people until the either join with the elite or quit the game. Video's on beating 5*'s was pretty exciting, much more exciting than most of the ddq whining posts going on icon_razz.gif
  • lokiagentofhotness
    Mawtful wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:

guess i better try my best to hit you before they do that huh?
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I was entertained by the videos of people showed how to defeat SS. The videos inspired people of the possibilities and solutions to fight what's coming in the future, while I considered myself as a "test drive" for great fighters out there.
  • Part of this is that he's been called out and spoken about SO OFTEN in these threads, from people admiring him to those calling him a liar about how much he spent, and he's not an active participant here, so it's not like the tongue in cheek "jamie madrox" posts. it doesn't sit well with me if people feel encouraged to seek him out in the game and attack him just to make a video about it to show others. like it or not it's not just a roster, there's a person behind it as well, and one who has demonstrated that he has no interest in continuing to engage with the forum as well.

What's funny is you were the first person to 'complain' in the original thread if I remember right. You made a mountain out of a mole hill. As mentioned previously, this guy wasn't targeted, nothing was negatively said about him. It was purely a video to show someone beating a maxed SS (which most of us wouldn't expect to see). Purely game play.

I am also guessing you haven't been part of the viscous attacks elite 'enforcers' do. Nor have you read the posts and seen the forum signatures about "oh there is a list!", threatening people who attack a specific alliance(s).

That's far more negative in the game than someone getting extremely lucky when defeating a max SS.

Also, no one encouraged anyone to seek him out, and the guy stays unshielded at 1800 anyway, so he is welcoming attacks. He probably gets 99% defensive wins anyway. Now, because a person was upset with a video we have to avoid attacking him? Geez
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Also, no one encouraged anyone to seek him out, and the guy stays unshielded at 1800 anyway, so he is welcoming attacks. He probably gets 99% defensive wins anyway. Now, because a person was upset with a video we have to avoid attacking him? Geez

Not 99%, likely 60-70%. And I was not upset, I was entertained to see how the game played my team. I was laughing hard on whales on king whale because I thought it was badass (truly). I opened up because I want people to hit me and that is correct.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Deadpooool wrote:

guess i better try my best to hit you before they do that huh?

Please, I'd actually have to play to turn up in a queue. Although, if you're lucky, you'll see me once every 5 days in a DDQ bracket when the 4* match is up.
  • lokiagentofhotness

Not 99%, likely 60-70%. And I was not upset, I was entertained to see how the game played my team. I was laughing hard on whales on king whale because I thought it was badass (truly). I opened up because I want people to hit me and that is correct.

dammit king you've completely derailed my self-righteous ranting. i'm kicking you out of alliance! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Also, no one encouraged anyone to seek him out, and the guy stays unshielded at 1800 anyway, so he is welcoming attacks. He probably gets 99% defensive wins anyway. Now, because a person was upset with a video we have to avoid attacking him? Geez

Hey man, I wasn't referring to you. You are awesome, truly. I was referring to the guy who got all 'hot and bothered' because of the original video. He was the first person to complain and ask for a mod lock.

Thanks for being so cool about this, even if other people aren't.