Do you play with etiquette?

1235»

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    ... don't be surprised if you get a rep as a tinykitty, and start to see people go out of their way to hit you. ...

Is that good or bad etiquette?
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Im sorry,but you lose all credibility by doubling someone yourself and then claiming you want to foster a less cut throat environment.i would mostly answer b too and i am in no way a leech but its still a competition.if someone has high pts and they are available its their own fault for being greedy and staying out too long.i will hit anyone thats not in an alliance im friendly with or a friend i have made through mpq.i consider the unshielding part to be the sport of mpq u have to be quick or u drop its that simple.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Square wrote:
    ... don't be surprised if you get a rep as a tinykitty, and start to see people go out of their way to hit you. ...

Is that good or bad etiquette?
    It's great etiquette. This isn't a Biblical eye for an eye thing. It's letting them know that if you consistently act like a tinykitty, you'll get treated like one. It doesn't stop them, but it does help balance the in-game karma.
  • Square
    Im sorry,but you lose all credibility by doubling someone yourself and then claiming you want to foster a less cut throat environment.
    The guy was doubling my alliance mates, that's fair play. The points overall stayed in the alliance. I would never deliberately double someone who wasn't asking for it.

And I doubled him twice. Once the first time, and once again when he retalled icon_e_smile.gif

I'm not looking for credibility on a game forum though, it's not my place to get validation. I just wanted to spell out the thinking when I play.

El Sattana had a great story a few posts up. He played with 'no etiquette' according to the poll, and fought tooth and nail. He changed tactics, did better, and had more fun. My experience as well. When I was scratching 3* land, my etiquette was pretty terrible. I have way more fun with it now.
  • jimstarooney
    Square wrote:
    Im sorry,but you lose all credibility by doubling someone yourself and then claiming you want to foster a less cut throat environment.
    The guy was doubling my alliance mates, that's fair play. The points overall stayed in the alliance. I would never deliberately double someone who wasn't asking for it.

And I doubled him twice. Once the first time, and once again when he retalled icon_e_smile.gif

I'm not looking for credibility on a game forum though, it's not my place to get validation. I just wanted to spell out the thinking when I play.

El Sattana had a great story a few posts up. He played with 'no etiquette' according to the poll, and fought tooth and nail. He changed tactics, did better, and had more fun. My experience as well. When I was scratching 3* land, my etiquette was pretty terrible. I have way more fun with it now.
    OhI agree that usin line is a better experience overall i share check rooms with 4 top10 alliances but its not exactly etiquette anyone else is fair game in my eyes
  • Square
    OhI agree that usin line is a better experience overall i share check rooms with 4 top10 alliances but its not exactly etiquette anyone else is fair game in my eyes
    Would you un# to hit someone in the top 10 if you saw they have just dropped #, hoping to hit them while they were un#?
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Its not etiquette, its self interest. The simple fact is that the rewards for progression, are currently way better than the rewards for placement, unless you actually get first in a slice. And since, only a few of the first place prizes are worth something, being a **** to get first and get ice-man isn't worth ruining the generally cooperative environment. Do what you want, but its actually way easier, and the rewards are better to cooperate. And given that, it makes sense for those who are cooperating to double and triple (and more) those with reputations for non-cooperation, since doing so forces them to shield, making it harder to hit people who are playing cooperatively. Key is that its WAY easier to get 1300 in a shard where there is a top alliance and you are playing nice with them, then to go into one of the emptier shards, or get on the top alliances shitlist.

But its a game, do what you feel.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I try to play nice when I can afford it. As has been said, waiting until your target is shielded is a net gain for the system. I don't go for placement though, just progression.
  • Square
    Haven't doubled anyone in Icebreaker yet, though there's a real lack of targets in my shard. Some guy retalled against me though, and fair enough, he got 20-30 points (still under 800). I didn't retal, though they were worth fair points. They tried to double me though, and lost icon_razz.gif That's karma in action. Makes me happy.
  • jimstarooney
    Square wrote:
    Would you un# to hit someone in the top 10 if you saw they have just dropped #, hoping to hit them while they were un#?
    Yes i would if i was going for placement,like i said fair game.i would expect some1 to do the same thing to me also.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    Yes i would if i was going for placement,like i said fair game.i would expect some1 to do the same thing to me also.

If i see someone in t10 drop shield, and their team is one i can beat.. i won't hit them when unshielded, but i would 100% queue them up on multiple nodes if possible , so when they re-shield, i now have an easy high point target on multiple nodes, and once they shield.. no chance they will retal.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    If i see someone in t10 drop shield, and their team is one i can beat.. i won't hit them when unshielded, but i would 100% queue them up on multiple nodes if possible
    Unless it's a retal, you can't get someone at the top of more than one node.
  • Square
    Square wrote:
    Well, you're honest icon_e_smile.gif I wouldn't. But I never go for placement, since I have every 3* covered, and #1 is implausible/not worth the HP it costs.

I'm near 40, and online gaming became a thing around age 20. I've always avoided it, since it was just ugly. Me and my roommates in school got ugly enough playing four person Golden Eye on N64 that the idea of being trash talked to by 20 people I don't know online kept me away. This is my first online game. Maybe etiquette could be substituted with naiveté icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    If i see someone in t10 drop shield, and their team is one i can beat.. i won't hit them when unshielded, but i would 100% queue them up on multiple nodes if possible
    Unless it's a retal, you can't get someone at the top of more than one node.

I have had it happen a couple times, but only when there are no other targets.. and it is the same 3 over and over, regardless of skips.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    But what a fun conversation this has turned into, eh? Loaded poll questions, passive-aggressive responses, snarky ripostes, we've got it all!
    It really has. This thread started off bad, and has improved only slightly in places. I'm gonna pull the plug.
This discussion has been closed.