Do you play with etiquette?

Comments

• MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Do people actually have reputations as snipers? Is this a thing? Are groups on line calling out and coordinating that player X double-tapped them in 2 straight PVP's so everyone on the alliance will check scores every 5 minutes and text the group just so they can coordinate and try to ruin someones hop when they drop shield?

On a forum where half the threads are people complaining about how this game takes way too much time grinding to advance, does anyone actually want to spend even more time in the game staring at scoreboards just for a PVP point vendetta?

Yes, this, like I said earlier, way overthought and takes the game way too seriously and personal.
    Pretty soon someone's going to say "slap in the face" in this thread...
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Do people actually have reputations as snipers?
    Yes. Not over one or two times. Over repeated actions. The same names appear over and over, and they become auto-hits (which sadly, reinforces their sense of self-justice, in my mind at least, who knows what they think). But it's not a factor for players under, say, 800 or so. In the high numbers, deliberate snipers make a dent, and they get reps.

It's not so much that people waste time thinking about these dudes, it's that these dudes make progress in the game slower on a repeated basis that they force themselves to become part of the high level play. I'd rather not waste a second of thought on these guys.
  • I can't believe people are so narcissistic to think we should 'wait' for them to shield up. We are supposed to sit here and help you in your climb because you have paid for shields? Geez, pay to win mentality.

We are all playing the same game. The game says that in order for you to increase in points, you have to fight someone. A logical person will queue until they find the easiest team at the highest point value. If that happens to be someone who is currently climbing then so be it. We all can't change our schedules to be play around 'people who spend money on shields.'

As far as double tapping, I just avoided hitting c-dub twice. But man, I really wanted to. First hit was 75 points, queue still showed him at 72. It's not easy to find that many points.... but I didn't want my alliance to get angry messages from X-men because someone hit their guy twice... no one wants angry x-men icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see points, I see teams that I can beat, I may see names but not always. If somebody appears in my queue that I can beat easy for high points you can bet your left nut I will go for it. They appear again and yeah I will be smashing that all night long as long as they give good points. I dont care if I hit 18 people from the same alliance in a single event just like I dont care if you are only 1 point away from a certain progression reward and I most certainly dont care if you are doing a precious shield hop.

However what I do care about is coordinated attacks on individuals. That is bullying and has no place in life never mind a poxy match 3 game.
  • barrok wrote:
    As far as double tapping, I just avoided hitting c-dub twice. But man, I really wanted to. First hit was 75 points, queue still showed him at 72. It's not easy to find that many points.... but I didn't want my alliance to get angry messages from X-men because someone hit their guy twice... no one wants angry x-men icon_rolleyes.gif

Highlighting a point of perspective here, not calling out this specific post - could it not be considered poor etiquette when an alliance chooses to mob up on someone? Pretty sure someone is going to argue 'social justice' here, but a vigilante is just as much a criminal as the perpetrator they are going after.

Everyone is trying to find the angle to succeed and as pointed out a few times here, not everyone has the kind of time to play by what is a perceived set of rules amongst the elite of the game.

As with real world issues, the best way to tackle problems is at the source. If you have a problem with a law, for example, getting together a group of civic minded citizens to organize, petition and litigate to pressure legislators and judicial figures to change it is the best way to get it done. In this case, it sure seems like the issue is the very nature of the PVP system.

But then, this is just a game. Getting blasted for a couple hundred points is lousy, but it happens all the time. It's not really something that is worth being frustrated about. Like not being able to pay your bills because of a hopeless addiction to MPQ. icon_lol.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another thing is that sometimes there is literally a loop of just 6 or 7 people no matter how many times you hit skip. If there is only one target worth more than say 40 points then you pretty much have no choice than to hit that person until some more names appear.

It really does make me laugh when those here on this forum try to enforce some unwritten rules of conduct that to be honest a large part of the player base has no knowledge about and then try to justify giving them "the smackdown" by "educating" them via mass attacks on them.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine comes with an asterisk. I wait before hitting to give a chance to shield, but if I come up short and end up at 999 after a match, all bets are off for the next one.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    barrok wrote:
    I can't believe people are so narcissistic to think we should 'wait' for them to shield up. We are supposed to sit here and help you in your climb because you have paid for shields? Geez, pay to win mentality.

We are all playing the same game. The game says that in order for you to increase in points, you have to fight someone. A logical person will queue until they find the easiest team at the highest point value. If that happens to be someone who is currently climbing then so be it. We all can't change our schedules to be play around 'people who spend money on shields.'

the thing is, unless you're really going for placement (and in this crowd, only first and second matter, so that's a small number that placement matters), the thing we are all striving for is progressions and that needs points in the system. generally speaking it is better for all involved, including you, to have more points in the system. specifically if you hit player A before he gets a shield up, you get points and he loses points. if he comes up in your queue again later in the event, hitting him unshielded could ultimately directly cost you points in your queue. to me its less a matter of etiquette and more common sense. heck, entire teams climb all the way up on each other by half A shielding and half B hitting them while shielded and then when half B shields, half A hits them. truthfully its out of selfishness that I want them shielding if its a beatable team for me. running only 3*s, beatable teams get few and far between and those beatable teams I have queued out there, I'd love to get and keep as many points as possible so when I hit em, I get as many points as possible. how does that not make sense?
  • These people at the top have plenty of points to go higher. They coordinate with their alliance and do quick shield hops.

These people will get their numbers, we don't have to change our play style to help them get it. If they lose some points because they got hit, well hell, that's what the rest of us go through but we don't use the 'alliance hoppin' so we are actually at a disadvantage.

For most of us, this is a game. We play for a few minutes and we go for some points. We aren't in collusion with anyone else; we are flying solo. I have never had to worry about 'points in the system', so I think that is just some way of the elite trying to pressure the non-elite into conforming to their play style.

If I want to hit a progression, and my roster can do it, the points are there. In fact, more points are hidden because of people shielding than from my earlier attacks on the 'elite.'

PS: I don't care how much you value this game and your accomplishments. You can spend all day playing it, that is up to you. But when you try and push your elite mentality on someone else and try to affect someone else's gameplay and enjoyment, then that is just bullying and the opposite of fun.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    the thing is, unless you're really going for placement (and in this crowd, only first and second matter, so that's a small number that placement matters), the thing we are all striving for is progressions and that needs points in the system. generally speaking it is better for all involved, including you, to have more points in the system. specifically if you hit player A before he gets a shield up, you get points and he loses points. if he comes up in your queue again later in the event, hitting him unshielded could ultimately directly cost you points in your queue. to me its less a matter of etiquette and more common sense. heck, entire teams climb all the way up on each other by half A shielding and half B hitting them while shielded and then when half B shields, half A hits them. truthfully its out of selfishness that I want them shielding if its a beatable team for me. running only 3*s, beatable teams get few and far between and those beatable teams I have queued out there, I'd love to get and keep as many points as possible so when I hit em, I get as many points as possible. how does that not make sense?

It makes perfect sense, but it also assumes that people have the time to do it. I'm sure for some players, that when they have an hour or so to play pvp and make a climb from 700/800 -> 1k+, that IS their hour allotted to make that climb. Unfortunately it's not always possible for people to spread out that hour of play, or push back their schedule, or check the game periodically during the day even if it is just to queue up matches.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    cyineedsn wrote:
    It makes perfect sense, but it also assumes that people have the time to do it. I'm sure for some players, that when they have an hour or so to play pvp and make a climb from 700/800 -> 1k+, that IS their hour allotted to make that climb. Unfortunately it's not always possible for people to spread out that hour of play, or push back their schedule, or check the game periodically during the day even if it is just to queue up matches.
    as I posted earlier in the thread, I agree that during the big push to maximize your pts before your first shield, you cannot really help hitting fresh queues and can't take time to analyze every opponent. I was speaking more to hopping strategy than climbing. that is a point that I failed to make.
  • Square wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:
    I honestly don't even pay attention to the names of the targets. So without, I suppose?
    I don't know your in-game name or level. If you're a below, say.... 800 PVP player, this thread is meaningless. Do you score 1300 in PVP 50% of the time?

No - I typically climb to 1k and then shield or fall, depending on the time remaining. 800-1k is typically where I finish events, since I don't throw around the HP needed to get to 1.3k. My in-game name is njark, though.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    barrok wrote:
    I can't believe people are so narcissistic to think we should 'wait' for them to shield up. We are supposed to sit here and help you in your climb because you have paid for shields? Geez, pay to win mentality.

This. +1.
  • Omega Red
    barrok wrote:
    These people at the top have plenty of points to go higher. They coordinate with their alliance and do quick shield hops.

These people will get their numbers, we don't have to change our play style to help them get it. If they lose some points because they got hit, well hell, that's what the rest of us go through but we don't use the 'alliance hoppin' so we are actually at a disadvantage.

For most of us, this is a game. We play for a few minutes and we go for some points. We aren't in collusion with anyone else; we are flying solo. I have never had to worry about 'points in the system', so I think that is just some way of the elite trying to pressure the non-elite into conforming to their play style.

If I want to hit a progression, and my roster can do it, the points are there. In fact, more points are hidden because of people shielding than from my earlier attacks on the 'elite.'

PS: I don't care how much you value this game and your accomplishments. You can spend all day playing it, that is up to you. But when you try and push your elite mentality on someone else and try to affect someone else's gameplay and enjoyment, then that is just bullying and the opposite of fun.

And this too. +1.
  • Omega Red
    For me the reality is that even if I wanted to accommodate to this alleged etiquette I simply can't. I can't afford wasting five, ten minutes and iso finding good matches, then wasting another fifteen minutes waiting for them to finish their hop, then another fifteen doing my own hop. I can't spend my day logging in every fifteen minutes just to find juicy targets and then leave the game for another fifteen minutes so they can finish their hop.

Many, many times I have been in a situation where I needed two wins to reach my progression and there was only one guy with worthy points. In those cases I'm sorry I hit you twice (and sometimes thrice) but I'm doing my own hop, looking for a progression reward of my own and you were the only target available. And you can be damn certain I would rather hit you while you're unshielded rather than spending hp on an extra shield just to avoid ruining your day.
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    barrok wrote:
    These people at the top have plenty of points to go higher. They coordinate with their alliance and do quick shield hops.

You seem to be taking this awfully personally and the points TxMoose was making are all accurate. You seem to have this "me vs the elitist" mentality and you're ignoring a lot of what was said.

You're playing the game the way you want and that's fine, it is a game after all and you're entitled to play it the way you'd like. It doesn't make you a bad person, but it also doesn't make your opinion right. I'm not saying my opinion is "right" either, but I don't think it's quite as shortsighted as yours is.

My game play and style changed after playing in dry shards in off season events. I learned to really value the early climbers and effort they put into injecting points into a shard that enables everyone else to climb later. There is a two fold value to waiting for people to shield that you're completely ignoring. The first, which has already been discussed is the concept of injecting points into a shard. This is the biggest value of course, because it can have the biggest downstream effect. Allowing the person you shield before you hit them allows for 100% of the value you hit him for to be injected into the shard, instead of just the differential of what you gained vs what they lost. It also means that every other person that hits him after he shield gains an addition 1-10 points as well. The effect can be quite huge depend on how targeted the shielded player is.

The secondary value is that a shield target doesn't receive a retaliation node when you attack them. Back when my roster was weaker, this was great for me. I know a lot of the points I would lose on my climb were from people retaliating later (while I was still climbing.) It slowed my climb up because you almost always lose more from the retaliation than you gained from hitting him in the first place (otherwise they wouldn't bother retaliating).

It doesn't require a herculean effort to allow someone to shield after you target them. It's really quite simple, when I'm climbing if I stumble onto a high value target, I simply use one of the other two nodes available to me for the next two or three fights and then I go back to the high value target. If they haven't shielded in the time it took me to do a few fights, they either got unlucky or weren't planning on shielding anyway. I'm giving them a sporting chance, and helping the economy as a whole.

You're free to play the way you want, but don't paint everyone that disagrees with you as some kind of "elitist."
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    sc0ville wrote:
    You're free to play the way you want, but don't paint everyone that disagrees with you as some kind of "elitist."

I think there's been alot of passive-aggressive posts in this thread from people on both sides of the issue
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    It also seems like both sides have made their points and it's just getting ugly, or uglier.

Time to lock down, mods?
  • Dauntless74
    Dauntless74 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    Surely for question one there should be an option C, you haven't paid any attention to the name of the player and have simply selected a winnable matchup?
    yeah, I don't pay one bit of attention to who I attack. I see point values. I could be attacking my entire alliance for all I know. but then, I only hover around the 400-500 mark in any given event, so it's not like i'm gaining a thousand points at the expense of anyone, especially a single person multiple times.

The same. I don't look at the names just however many points I can get from the most manageable team. Even if I did remember somebody's name, I wouldn't remember where I had played against them last. As for queuing, I have no idea what that means. On a completely unrelated note, I would like to see a Howard the duck character.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:

Take this quiz:

1. You are climbing, and a weaker team you just got 50 points off of appears again. Do you:
    A) skip them, you got your points off them
    B) hit them again, they need to learn might makes right

2. You're over 800, floating, and a 75 point team comes up in your queue. Do you:
    A) hold for 10 minutes, search in the other nodes in the meantime, then hit them. It's fair play.
    B) hit them now, then immediately search to find them again to see how far you can jump off them in a short time. Double if possible. Serves them right for starting early.

3. You're shielded at 1100. You check the scores and see someone at 1350 is unshielded. Do you:
    A) queue them up and appreciate that other players pay more on shields and even characters, but wait till they shield to hit them.
    B) UNSHIELD! HIT THEM NOW! You can rise, knock them down, and teach them a lesson about front-running.

Mod Edit: Please keep the language cordial.. if this turns into a ragefest, it will be locked.
    #1 I am climbing so this is anywhere from 0-800 points. A 50 point match is not that high in end game so I hit them. They are not hopping and at lower scores they won't lose too many points. I don't actively search for anyone as points are all that I care about. I will skip people who I recognize and alliance mates.
    #2 this really depends. Today in PVP I found someone for 75 points when I was at 750. I left them alon and searched for other people. It was a maxed HB and maxed JG. I left th. In my queue for a final battle. As I was going up and got to just under 900 points someone popped up for 60ish points. I can do 2 marches and shield at 1000, so I hit start match. If I was honking I would have taken on the other person who I had lined up earlier, but I was not really thinking about it and just said go. Should I have gone back and hi the other person first, yes. Was I thinking about them no I was thinking about hitting 1000 points.
    #3 I always wait a min of 10 min before I hit someone on a hop. It is on thing to hit someone in the excitement of the game it is another to be cruel about it.
This discussion has been closed.