Do you play with etiquette?

Square
Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, this thread isn't lecture. I have my opinions, and others have differing ones. Last time etiquette came up, I posted, was rebutted, but the thread was locked before I could reply. That was months, or maybe a year back, so this isn't a rage topic. Just curious as to how players play. How they think about play.

For the record, I'm an adult, near 40, and a Canadian, which doesn't guarantee empathy, but I'm on the side of wanting to create a healthy environment for everyone, as opposed to, say, Martin Shkreli, famous this week, barely an adult, not Canadian, and would probably whale everything and snipe relentlessly were he to play, since a mortgage is an issue to me, and D3's prices mean nothing to him (until he is backlashed to financial death over the next while).

Take this quiz:

1. You are climbing, and a weaker team you just got 50 points off of appears again. Do you:
A) skip them, you got your points off them
B) hit them again, they need to learn might makes right

2. You're over 800, floating, and a 75 point team comes up in your queue. Do you:
A) hold for 10 minutes, search in the other nodes in the meantime, then hit them. It's fair play.
B) hit them now, then immediately search to find them again to see how far you can jump off them in a short time. Double if possible. Serves them right for starting early.

3. You're shielded at 1100. You check the scores and see someone at 1350 is unshielded. Do you:
A) queue them up and appreciate that other players pay more on shields and even characters, but wait till they shield to hit them.
B) UNSHIELD! HIT THEM NOW! You can rise, knock them down, and teach them a lesson about front-running.

A's have some sportsmanship. B's are leeches (IMHO, you're free to disagree and explain yourself)

There's another two questions I won't bother with since they're way too specific, but I'll tell you this: I play with the A style over 800 (2000 in sim). I know many players who also do.

The reason for this topic is that I double tapped a player today... twice (I got 210 or so, they hit me for 27). Who knows if they hit or were bounced, I don't care. But they went out of their way to hit alliance mates a number of times, and tried to double tap two of them while they jumping (making it a net gain of not much). At that point, rules of etiquette are called off. That person gets no etiquette, instead, they get the tinykitty treatment. In the future too, since the name goes down in the book of tinykitty. They've lost their chance for respect with a lot of players.

The B-types will say, it's all fair as D3 allowed it, which is technically true, but it still makes you a tinykitty After your little league baseball game, there is no rule saying you can't spit on your hand as you 'shake' hands with the opposing team, but it still makes you a tinykitty to be like that.

What kind of player are you?

Mod Edit: Please keep the language cordial.. if this turns into a ragefest, it will be locked.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2015
    1) A - there are enough people to get points off of that I don't need to hit them twice.
    2) Depends. At 800 I'll let them be and find someone else. If I'm over 900, I apologize under my breath and do it.
    3) A - If I'm shielded I don't need to hit them. If I'm going for placement that's another matter altogether, but I don't usually play for placement.

I don't think B's are leeches - I think they're just competitive. The guy hunting down you and your alliance? That's just lame. Tiny-kitty happens, and if I hit you twice then you were my only target and I really needed those points right then.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your "B" choices assume that I want to hit people for the express purpose of "teaching them a lesson." I just hit people because they are worth points. I don't do it specifically to "beat" other people, but on the other hand I don't care if it sets you back either. You're strangers on the internet and I want my stuff.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Surely for question one there should be an option C, you haven't paid any attention to the name of the player and have simply selected a winnable matchup?
  • Square
    edited September 2015
    Jarvind wrote:
    Your "B" choices assume that I want to hit people for the express purpose of "teaching them a lesson." I just hit people because they are worth points. I don't do it specifically to "beat" other people, but on the other hand I don't care if it sets you back either. You're strangers on the internet and I want my stuff.
    Nope. Under 1000, the points you take are a fraction of what they lose. Over 1000, you are taking point to point ratio. And everybody tends to shield at 900 or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but usually around 900. So when you are at 1000, and a 75 point queue comes in, you know you are taking 75 points from them if you don't wait. Or you are surprisingly unaware of the game to be scoring so high.

Hitting a high queue the moment you get it is sniping. It is frowned upon. If you don't care how it sets others back, it will start setting you back as you get a rep for sniping. Good luck getting your stuff.

<edit, adjusted 800 to 1000 to reflect current scoring rules>
  • Square
    Crowl wrote:
    Surely for question one there should be an option C, you haven't paid any attention to the name of the player and have simply selected a winnable matchup?
    It happens, I was talking about cases where you remembered. I have double tapped by accident. Deliberately double tapping is the tinykitty move.

Mod Edit: Please keep the language cordial
  • SodaPopinski
    SodaPopinski Posts: 59 Match Maker
    1) A - there are enough people to get points off of that I don't need to hit them twice.
    2) Depends. At 800 I'll let them be and find someone else. If I'm over 900, I apologize under my breath and do it.
    3) A - If I'm shielded I don't need to hit them. If I'm going for placement that's another matter altogether, but I don't usually play for placement.

I don't think B's are leeches - I think they're just competitive. The guy hunting down you and your alliance? That's just lame. Tiny-kitty happens, and if I hit you twice then you were my only target and I really needed those points right then.

This is pretty much me too.

On the way up I don't really notice names, but when I get to 800-900 and find a big point target I will usually wait to respect the climb to 1300 for those who do it. If I shield I also pre-Q so that I have large targets ready for later (another reason to WANT other people to have big points). That way when I unshield they should be shielded already.

Things happen sometimes though - ex: When you get hit while going over a threshold, for me 1000 or 1300, and need to scramble for an opponent worth points.
  • Who is etiquette? What alliance are they on?
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Martin Shkreli is 32.
  • SodaPopinski
    SodaPopinski Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Square wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    It happens, I was talking about cases where you remembered. I have double tapped by accident. Deliberately double tapping is the tinykitty move.

I think the threashold is 1K now (not to be a tinykitty) for points being 1-for-1.

I agree double tapping happens sometime when skipping a bunch, but I would not find it good form to search for someone to knock down.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:
    yeah, I don't pay one bit of attention to who I attack. I see point values. I could be attacking my entire alliance for all I know. but then, I only hover around the 400-500 mark in any given event, so it's not like i'm gaining a thousand points at the expense of anyone, especially a single person multiple times.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    This seems to be really overthought and people get way too sensitive about it on both sides. I really don't pay much attention to names when climbing/hopping

I'd like to see a trial pvp someone where you can't see the names of people...
  • Square
    Martin Shkreli is 32.
    I was speaking mentally/emotionally. We're in a post-physical world, right? icon_e_geek.gif
  • Square
    I think the threashold is 1K now (not to be a tinykitty) for points being 1-for-1.
    I thought it was still 800. If not, I'll amend that first post. Can you share a link? (not being a tinykitty either icon_e_wink.gif )

Language
  • I honestly don't even pay attention to the names of the targets. So without, I suppose?
  • Square
    teknofyl wrote:
    I honestly don't even pay attention to the names of the targets. So without, I suppose?
    I don't know your in-game name or level. If you're a below, say.... 800 PVP player, this thread is meaningless. Do you score 1300 in PVP 50% of the time?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    Nope. Under 800, the points you take are a fraction of what they lose. Over 800, you are taking point to point ratio. And everybody tends to shield at 900 or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but usually around 800. So when you are at 800, and a 75 point queue comes in, you know you are taking 75 points from them if you don't wait. Or you are surprisingly unaware of the game to be scoring so high.

Hitting a high queue the moment you get it is sniping. It is frowned upon. If you don't care how it sets others back, it will start setting you back as you get a rep for sniping. Good luck getting your stuff.

Man, it's fine to disagree, but there is no need to be so hostile about it. I just want to log on, get my points, and enjoy myself without having to think about a bunch of arbitrary unwritten rules about who it is "okay" to hit. If you don't want to get hit by other people you shouldn't be playing an event that is specifically called Player Versus Player. What you call "sniping," I call "playing the game."

Just as I don't care who I set back, I don't get all bent out of shape when I get knocked back a hundred points. It's part of the game - it sucks sometimes, but there is nothing stopping me or you from playing PVE and eliminating the possibility altogether.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Also the wording of your survey options is biased with your feelings towards etiquette.

I didn't choose any option as I didn't feel any of them fit me.
  • beyonderbub
    Square wrote:
    Martin Shkreli is 32.
    I was speaking mentally/emotionally. We're in a post-physical world, right? icon_e_geek.gif

I was attributing his level of heartless greed to adults only. As long as I'm kept off any of your lists, I'll agree. It's hard enough to cross 1000 consistently. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • beyonderbub
    Jarvind wrote:

Just as I don't care who I set back, I don't get all bent out of shape when I get knocked back a hundred points. It's part of the game - it sucks sometimes, but there is nothing stopping me or you from playing PVE and eliminating the possibility altogether.

So, I'm sitting at 1915 in Shield sim (stopped and shielded bc all targets were only in the teens points level and were maxxed 4*s, wanted competition to "catch up"), and I forget to renew shield last night. I wake up to numerous attacks (more than I can see from the little update screen) and I'm luckily only down to 1740. I look at the 5 retal nodes and now I've got multiple 50+ nodes. I'm assuming it's been hours so they've had time to all do their things and shield if they want and so this time I just build off the retals and finally cross 2000 for the progression reward.

It sucks to be so close and get knocked back, but in this case it actually helped me get the higher point nodes and battles vs more manageable opponents who chose to climb off me. I don't begrudge anyone because we are all trying to climb. I'd be more upset if I was targeted by members of the same alliance for some perceived slight I may have unwittingly committed.
  • I never used to pay attention to names at all, until I started getting closer to the point I could hit 2000 in Sim, then I started seeing the same rosters which made me double check the names attached to them. Right now I have the same three opponents on cycle, even having dropped 2k iso skipping them. These are all people I've hit, beaten, and don't want to double-tap because a) that would irritate me if it happened the other way around and b) I recognise names from the forum (plus, they'll easily knock my icon_exclaim.gif straight back down when I'm on defense and I wanna keep my points as best I can.)

Soon I'll end up taking whatever I can get cos Jean Grey is the last 4* I haven't got and she's like 150 points away, but then I'll leave the shield off and let people grab those points off me without fear of retaliation cos the season score overall + alliance score isn't going to be any great shakes this season.

I don't know if it lines up with anyone else's views on PVP etiquette, but it's as close as I can get to playing 'fair' whilst still trying to make sure I get the rewards I want for my collector habit.
This discussion has been closed.