POLL: What Do You Think of Iceman's Art?

Xeonic-Ice
Xeonic-Ice Posts: 176
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I'm pretty biased since I grew up with the character, but I'm really not liking the artwork for Iceman. So much that I'm actually annoyed that he has a good skill set, because otherwise, he wouldn't get a roster slot purely from a visual standpoint. Normally I can overlook something like this but I just can't look at him.

I'm just curious what people actually think other than me.

Iceman Reveal

*Added link to the Iceman reveal page
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I think they hit him with the ugly stick so people wouldn't mistake him for the surfer!
  • He is Billy badass.

Ok....just kidding. He looks like he's made out of soft serve.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    On the xmens last visit to Japan bobby got on the wrong end of a TinyKitty.

Moderator edit: Let's not.
  • thisone wrote:
    On the xmens last visit to Japan bobby got on the wrong end of a TinyKitty.

Moderator edit: Let's not.

You very wrong thisone-San.
  • He looks like his name should be SnowBoy. But he looks really creepy lol
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2015
    The character design was not what I was expecting, but from the gallery at the end of the article, it looks like the actual animations could look pretty great. (Just, you know, with a kinda creepy looking person in them)

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it in action. The recent animations that they've done have been really impressive, especially compared to earlier powers (like Call the Logo, or GT's Staredown Smite).
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I put other because I don't love it or hate it, but it could have been so much better. He does look very soft, like powdered sugar.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Adding a link to the opening comment would have helped. (Yeah, I know there's a link in a different thread, but still.)

Were I art director and someone submitted this to me, we would be "going in a different direction" or "exploring other alternatives."

Just, wow. There is some borderline mediocre art in this game (and some great art too, don't get me wrong), but this is nothing short of awful.

Seriously, if this is what it is when the character releases, I'm filing a bug that they accidentally included the prototype art instead of the actual character art.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2015
    Terrible! My kids can't even sleep at night thanks to creepy ice man. That smile? Man I always thought kids in horror movies were the scariest,nope this guy with his smile is. Hero or villain? My kids can't tell!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pure nightmare fuel.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iceman isn't exactly the easiest character to look cool (pardon the pun), but making him look that bad is a pretty amazing feat.

Is that his appearance in the comics now? I haven't picked up an X title in years. Was always fond of Jim Lee's version myself.

Iceman.jpg
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    It's a pretty spot on realistic version of the fairly minimalist art that is in the All New X-Men run. STOPTHIS in another thread posted this, which shows young Bobby off decently well:
    05allnewx16b.jpg

People keep saying to change his art so that he doesn't have black beady eyes, or to make him look like the older Iceman. I get that feedback, but neither would work since that's just not what young Bobby looks like in ice form.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    In one of the Xmen movies (can't remember which) young Professor X told Raven to more or less stay in human form. It's kind of like that Bobby needs to stay in human form or else he will scare all mpq players.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:

People keep saying to change his art so that he doesn't have black beady eyes, or to make him look like the older Iceman. I get that feedback, but neither would work since that's just not what young Bobby looks like in ice form.
    Ok, but why naked?
    L2Ik7Sd.jpg?1
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    90's Iceman is best Iceman. This Iceman is no good.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    It's a pretty spot on realistic version of the fairly minimalist art that is in the All New X-Men run. STOPTHIS in another thread posted this, which shows young Bobby off decently well:
    05allnewx16b.jpg

You guys gave Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Vision their MCU looks despite them not really ever being used in the comics, and the costumes don't even correspond to the cover arts in the game. From what I remember, Iron Fist was also given ridges on his costume in the game art so it doesn't look like he's wearing green pyjamas. Is it really impossible to take a bit of liberty with Bobby's art so he doesn't look like this?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Iceman isn't exactly the easiest character to look cool (pardon the pun), but making him look that bad is a pretty amazing feat.

Is that his appearance in the comics now? I haven't picked up an X title in years. Was always fond of Jim Lee's version myself.

Iceman.jpg
    thats the iceman i want to see.
    the artwork of the 4* cover looks like something a 10year old would draw.
    i dont care if thats a version from the comics and canon or if people could mistake him for the surfer (huh?)
    looks just... meh.
  • The character design was not what I was expecting, but from the gallery at the end of the article, it looks like the actual animations could look pretty great. (Just, you know, with a kinda creepy looking person in them)

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it in action. The recent animations that they've done have been really impressive, especially compared to earlier powers (like Call the Logo, or GT's Staredown Smite).

i think that's why i'm so disappointed in the art. it's been very nice the past few releases and then it's like good lord, what happened. i understand that it closely resembles his current canon art, but like others have posted, they have embellished in the past or chosen a different route for others. and someone posted a good panel of bobby in a uniform matching jg's, so i think that would have been a viable route and a good tie-in with her as well.

god, why did it have to be one of my favorite characters, haha. i hope we get a variant in the future.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    PcauJTq.png?1

Stick a black wig on and this version looks like the kid straight out of Ju-on (The grudge), i do not want to see that every time i lvl iceman
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture is the ending scene of "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson frozen in the middle of the hedge maze! Gruesome!!