POLL: What Do You Think of Iceman's Art?

Comments

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Nah, they are probably doing more important things like "fixing" art that no one complained about, such completely redrawing Wolverine or redrawing Cap's face or making UI overhauls.

Depends on WHO complains i guess. Bosses > Users icon_e_wink.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    this is a tiny poll with just a few voters but it's a real landslide. i wonder if the devs will acknowledge this...or the people at marvel.
    Nah, they are probably doing more important things like "fixing" art that no one complained about, such completely redrawing Wolverine or redrawing Cap's face or making UI overhauls.
    A little off topic, but did 3* Falcon always have a goatee?

If so... that means that up until 4* Captain Falcon, every black male character had a goatee. I didn't notice 3* Falcon had one until I noticed 4* didn't.
  • Thor82
    Thor82 Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    He looks so creepy. All the animation is great but he should've looked a little older not 8 years old. Plus he's a snowman. WTH. Where are the shards of ICE. Iceman not Frosty.
  • JVReal
    Thor82 wrote:
    He looks so creepy. All the animation is great but he should've looked a little older not 8 years old. Plus he's a snowman. WTH. Where are the shards of ICE. Iceman not Frosty.
    I haven't followed the teen x-men storyline, but I do know the classic IceMan was fluffy like snow, with his black boots. I would have preferred the classic IceMan to this one.
    I believe he stayed soft as a kid and didn't get harder until he got older... not so different from non-mutants...
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Omega Red wrote:
    My first reaction was rather apathetic, maybe I found him a little weird looking but nothing that turned me off or made me not wanting him in my roster.

I think the negative response to this character, squirrel girl and Kamala is very telling. A lot of traditional values seem to be desired by many players. Women are expected to look young and attractive while males are expected to look imposing, masculine and have eyebrows and light eyes.

I love Kamala's artwork, please don't change it. Her smile when she heals up is actually uplifting and puts me in a good mood even if I'm getting my **** kicked by hulk buster. I love my sexualized female characters - hello Mystique and OBW- but I don't need all of them to fit that look. Similarly, I love feeling manly when I play with Thor or Cage but I don't need every other male character to do the same for me. I'm rather indifferent to iceman's artwork, but I'm voting "I love it" on account that I approve the devs going for an offbeat look rather than a traditional one.

This touches on one of my major points regarding why I'm actually ok with this artwork.

1) It does break the norm you'd associate with what you'd expect D3 to produce given their demographic. People constantly complain about Cyke's butt shot, and they're doing the same with this one. But do you ever see anyone complain about Mystique, OBW, or Moonstone's swirling boob animation? No, because the majority of players are heterosexual males. Seeing male characters in suggestive poses makes them uncomfortable because it's something they don't see very often.

2) The only actual piece of artwork that's really unsettling is his main pose. All of his animations are great, and his active battle pose (when he's in front) is fine too. If they were to replace that main roster shot with a more normal pose minus the black eyes, obstructive ice slide, and creepy grin, I don't think people would be anywhere near as upset.
  • I think he should taste vanilla. Mmh.
  • JVReal
    Wow, 85% of the voters hate it. I don't think I've seen a poll with such a high consensus on one answer.
  • After seeing it in action and not just static screenshots, I actually like it a lot more, to be honest.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Skygazing wrote:
    2) The only actual piece of artwork that's really unsettling is his main pose. All of his animations are great, and his active battle pose (when he's in front) is fine too. If they were to replace that main roster shot with a more normal pose minus the black eyes, obstructive ice slide, and creepy grin, I don't think people would be anywhere near as upset.

QFT
  • jordanix
    jordanix Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    This too shall pass.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Clearly, they are selling us Teen Dream Jean and Snowman Bobby on purpose, so that they can sell us the adult versions in another few months.

Although, I guess they did / are doing Cyke backwards......
  • Capmarv86
    Capmarv86 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    He looks like a special little alien covered in powdered sugar icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    #notmyiceman
  • shatland wrote:
    an attempt to fix - fixed the toddler skull but couldn't take that creepy grin away...

icemantake2.jpg

Much better, and now someone please bring a good idea for that dumb grinning. ^^ Maybe something like Cyclops has, something anything, but his grin is awful.
    But his skills are okay, I like them.

edit: http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2010/12/xfcaim001covcol.jpg

THAT would be okay! More Ice, less snow style!
  • Anyone else notice that in the PVP screen, Shushing Iceman is doing something very inappropriate with TRON Iceman? I get what they were going for but I think they could have spent a few extra minutes looking at the Icemen positioning.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    PRdCaBr.jpg
  • What's going to be cool is that he'll be a great PvP deterrent for the people who can't stand to see him. But he is also a powerful character. I went against a whaled Iceman + Hood and I was crushed. His stun is so fast and whiteout basically killed my entire team quickly. Have much better luck against Fistbuster.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we need to re-enable voting on this one.. no idea why or how... but his art and animations have grown on me a little.. and during the PVP, i found myself enjoying them.

It is a game after-all, why not have a reason to laugh a little!

Just the opinion of an addict.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's going to be cool is that he'll be a great PvP deterrent for the people who can't stand to see him. But he is also a powerful character. I went against a whaled Iceman + Hood and I was crushed. His stun is so fast and whiteout basically killed my entire team quickly. Have much better luck against Fistbuster.
    yes. didn't pay attn. a couple of times during the event and played a couple of whaled ones and if you let him get his green off, you're done unless you have some big health guys. when I saw the health I realized it and had to take him first over Cyclops or hb. hb can take out one. iceman cripples the whole team.