POLL: What Do You Think of Iceman's Art?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    All this body shaming, the poor boy.. i'm telling Tumblr on you! You know what those people are capable of!
  • The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that art work for Iceman was a line from One Crazy Summer. "Little girl, I'm going to have nightmares just knowing that dog exists."
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    It's a pretty spot on realistic version of the fairly minimalist art that is in the All New X-Men run. STOPTHIS in another thread posted this, which shows young Bobby off decently well:
    05allnewx16b.jpg

People keep saying to change his art so that he doesn't have black beady eyes, or to make him look like the older Iceman. I get that feedback, but neither would work since that's just not what young Bobby looks like in ice form.
    None of those images creep me out. I see the intent, but I see the fail more so. You guys redrew Steve Rogers face, you can redraw Ice-boy's face.

Does he turn to ice when he hits puberty?
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    He looks like a creepy alien...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    It's a pretty spot on realistic version of the fairly minimalist art that is in the All New X-Men run. STOPTHIS in another thread posted this, which shows young Bobby off decently well:
    05allnewx16b.jpg

People keep saying to change his art so that he doesn't have black beady eyes, or to make him look like the older Iceman. I get that feedback, but neither would work since that's just not what young Bobby looks like in ice form.

Okay then don't use The All New XMen Iceman. Give us the 90s version we all know and love. If this is what Marvel wants well its not making me want to go run out and buy the comic, its the exact opposite.

Making the young one a 4* does not help either.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Raffoon wrote:
    He looks like a creepy alien...

Reminded me of these guys from Galaxy Quest:

galaxy-quest_480x270.jpg
  • I picked other. It matches the look presented in part by the ANXM comics, so I -get- it, but it could use, as others have said, a touch more sheen, but the other part of the problem is that I really wish they'd went with default uniced bobby, because the ANXM costumes look pretty sweet, and just use his snow form for certain powers, because he doesn't stay iced up constantly.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I never liked Iceman in his snow version and this is a really bad rendition of it. I hope we get heard on this.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    Haetron wrote:
    I picked other. It matches the look presented in part by the ANXM comics, so I -get- it, but it could use, as others have said, a touch more sheen, but the other part of the problem is that I really wish they'd went with default uniced bobby, because the ANXM costumes look pretty sweet, and just use his snow form for certain powers, because he doesn't stay iced up constantly.

Agreed-- I just recently started reading ANXM (on your and ShionSinX's recommendation in his character thread!) and I absolutely love those synergistic new costumes for the O5 X-Men. Jean's art is among my favorite in the game, and with knowing ANXM Cyclops is an inevitability at SOME point, I was hoping we'd have a complete matching set of those characters someday.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    You can see the outline of shorts (barely) in his main pose, but it looks like he dropped them for the butt pose. Is he trying to give older Cyclops a run for his money?
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    way off base on the design.

should be:
    iceman.jpg
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can see the outline of shorts (barely) in his main pose, but it looks like he dropped them for the butt pose. Is he trying to give older Cyclops a run for his money?

Well considering Iceman is one of the openly gay characters .. he may be trying to attract Cyc!

for reference, in case you didn't know

http://www.dorkly.com/post/73999/marvel ... lete-sense
  • AsylumTKJ
    AsylumTKJ Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    I love Madureira's work and am a great fan of his Iceman.
    I would love if we had one these versions:
    X-Men-Figure-18-660x730.jpg
    X-Men-Figure-19.jpg
    4497921-6602005756-icema.jpg
  • To you D3 concept designers:

Your sense of weight is good. Your character posing is dynamic enough and shows you understand GCAT character construction methodology. Your digital painting skills aren't too bad either. You have a good understanding of color palettes and light, but...

Your character design needs work.

Please focus on your pre-pro char designs first and make sure they are solid before you go further, or tragedies like this happen.

Sincerely,

-A fellow designer
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    The art is the stuff of nightmares. I think I'd take literally any other art over it. Even once I get him, there's no way I want to look at this abomination on my turns.
  • Here's another good question: Why do they keep releasing teenage versions of superheroes?

Unless they mean for the game to only be played by teenagers with far too much time on their hands (and sic release variants they feel will most resonate with that player base), but that runs contrary to their apparent financial structure of pushing high value micro-transactions.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's another good question: Why do they keep releasing teenage versions of superheroes? ...

They are just following the current comic book versions. Some of the current marvel comics have gone the teenage version route.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    I can certainly say that the next two releases are *not* teenagers. One hasn't seen that age in decades.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone seen the movie Powder? Yeah that bad. Good god.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    IceIX wrote:
    I can certainly say that the next two releases are *not* teenagers. One hasn't seen that age in decades.

Woah, he sounds like such an old man!