Patch Notes - R85 (10/5/15)

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    Too bad they couldn't turn the bug into a feature. Just mention that center position owns attack tiles, done.

I 100% agree, to a point. The tiles belong to the team. Even when the character who created them is dead, the attack and strike tiles remain.. so they are neutral tiles. As for who gets the passive benefit, i think it should go to character who gets the tile match. If BE makes a match, and the attack tile gets the kill, credit to bullseye, if Vision's blue is out, and vision makes a match, attack tile benefits from the cd tile.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    This wasn't, technically, a "bug" anyway, but rather an unintended feature icon_e_wink.gif
    I'm not sure why debates about what a "bug" is are starting to crop up around here... this is absolutely a bug.
    wikipedia wrote:
    A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways. *

Emphasis mine.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bullseye and Vision become worse.....were they being over-used and abused? I rarely (never) saw them sitting out there in the PVP world, maybe these unintended features/bugs should be kept and worded as intentional so they are somewhat useful there. Both of these characters could use big buffs to become somewhat relevant in 3* world - even when they get their weekly buffs, they often seem passed-over/unused.
  • I may be in the minority of this, but I think it's a good change in the long run. Yes it makes Vision and BE less useful, but it also clarifies things. This way when a really strong character comes out in the future, this problem is already cut off before it can be exploited. That being said, I wouldn't mind they reworking THESE characters to get some of their old usability back.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    I wouldn't mind they reworking THESE characters to get some of their old usability back.
    Given the recent track record of rebalancing 3*s, I'd say there's a good chance of this happening never.
  • Xyren
    Xyren Posts: 30
    Der_Lex wrote:
    As always, I'm mostly pondering the new hint.

"A man becomes that which he hates"

(Red) Hulk? Venom?

I'm thinking the Void (Sentry).
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    "- UI now identifies when a player has more than 99 Tokens."

Underrated and much appreciated change. Now I can see when I can start stuffing tacos into my vault
  • GreenMachine
    GreenMachine Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Xyren wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    As always, I'm mostly pondering the new hint.

"A man becomes that which he hates"

(Red) Hulk? Venom?

I'm thinking the Void (Sentry).

Are we forgetting the Ghost Rider teaser? Could any of these hints belong to him?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the attack tiles are owned by noone, does this mean noone will get damage from Elektra's shadow step triggered by attack tiles?
  • turul wrote:
    If the attack tiles are owned by noone, does this mean noone will get damage from Elektra's shadow step triggered by attack tiles?
    It would probably be accounted as an enemy source of damage and shadow step would hit whoever is your current target.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    turul wrote:
    It would probably be accounted as an enemy source of damage and shadow step would hit whoever is your current target.

This is another good question and makes me think that what they're actually doing is making it so the attack tile is "owned" by the person who is in front, and not the person who is centered in your lineup (the way it is now). We certainly could have used a little more in terms of specifics on this, or maybe have it posted some time other than on a Friday afternoon prior to leaving for the weekend.

Which would mean that if Vision plops down his blue and Psylocke has put an attack tile out, Vision makes a red match and gets +damage from his blue, then the attack tile goes off and gets +damage from his blue.
    Next turn Psylocke makes a black match, and the attack tile goes off. No extra damage on either of those.

I still want to know
    Bullseye makes a match (staying in front), attack tile goes off and downs an opponent.
    Does Contract Killer fire?

If that's the case it's not necessarily a nerf the way we all (including me earlier in the thread) are thinking it is, as now you could put Bullseye somewhere other than the center position and use an attack tile with him to get a kill, which might let him be a bit more useful, since currently he can only do that in the center position, meaning not in anyone else's PVP, or essential nodes in PVE.

Still, clarification about a number of these scenarios would be helpful. Hopefully we'll get that sometime tomorrow.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    j12601 wrote:
    I still want to know
    Bullseye makes a match (staying in front), attack tile goes off and downs an opponent.
    Does Contract Killer fire?

If that's the case it's not necessarily a nerf the way we all (including me earlier in the thread) are thinking it is, as now you could put Bullseye somewhere other than the center position and use an attack tile with him to get a kill, which might let him be a bit more useful, since currently he can only do that in the center position, meaning not in anyone else's PVP, or essential nodes in PVE.

Still, clarification about a number of these scenarios would be helpful. Hopefully we'll get that sometime tomorrow.

Agree. That being the case, it seems much like a bug fix. I'm OK with that. I run Bullseye every day for DDQ's final node, and never had him unintentionally get a Contract Kill to proc.
  • It's going to screw a bit the underleveled BEs that hide behind others and still trigger CK, but makes it work more consistently.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    People are misunderstanding the bullseye and vision changes, as well as attack tiles themselves.

1. Attack tiles have no ownership unless stated otherwise. This means if the character that created the attack (strike, protect, etc.) tile dies, that tile remains on the field. It does not vanish upon death like loki or captain america cd's or elektra or dd trap tiles.

The other meaning of "no ownership" is that no particular character gets credit for the damage dealt by the attack tile (regardless of line up position). In other words, if an attack tile kills an ai character, that character dies, but the cause of death is the attack tile, not a player's character. Again position does not matter. Fist could be the only character left and his attack tile could kill a character, but he does not get credited with the kill because the tile still has no ownership.

2. Read Vision ' s blue ability. It buffs only his attacks. It does not say he buffs any tiles on the board. Moreover, because an attack tile has no ownership, it does not count as his attack regardless his position in the line up.

3. Read Bullseye black. It only procs when Bullseye ' s attack kills a character. This could be matching a tile with his symbol or using his green or purple/pink ability. If any of these kill an ai character, Bullseye gets credit and his black procs. However, he does not have ownership of the attack tile (regardless of position), so if the tile kills someone he does not get credit and his black does not activate.

TL; DR: non-ownership of attack tiles is not new. It has been part of the game since almost its inception. Bullseye black and vision blue working incorrectly with the attack tile was new and it was a bug.

Think back, do you remember attack, strike, locked, protect, Web tiles disappearing when the character who created them died? No? That's how long characters have not had ownership of these tiles (regardless of line up position).
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Still waiting for 3* torch to turn gold in a patch.

Why isn't he gold, it's bugging me to no end.
  • OJSP wrote:
    JordonLee wrote:

Because 3* Human Torch was introduced first. The 2* version was introduced after, because there weren't many blackflag.png offensive in 2* land then.. in fact.. no other active blackflag.png offensive skills was around apart from Bullseye's, until Ms Marvel was introduced.

The Gold characters were upgraded versions of their 1* (Storm) and 2*s counterparts. With Human Torch, it's the other way around..

2* Torch (Johnny Storm), should've been Silver instead.. icon_lol.gif

They should probably put this in a FAQ section somewhere.. considering how many times this question came up.. icon_e_smile.gif

They should honestly just patch away the gold indicator altogether and treat Storm, Cap, Daken, and Thor as regular 3 stars.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Haetron wrote:
    OJSP wrote:
    JordonLee wrote:

Because 3* Human Torch was introduced first. The 2* version was introduced after, because there weren't many blackflag.png offensive in 2* land then.. in fact.. no other active blackflag.png offensive skills was around apart from Bullseye's, until Ms Marvel was introduced.

The Gold characters were upgraded versions of their 1* (Storm) and 2*s counterparts. With Human Torch, it's the other way around..

2* Torch (Johnny Storm), should've been Silver instead.. icon_lol.gif

They should probably put this in a FAQ section somewhere.. considering how many times this question came up.. icon_e_smile.gif

They should honestly just patch away the gold indicator altogether and treat Storm, Cap, Daken, and Thor as regular 3 stars.

That's a good idea yeah.
    The fact that ht 3* came first so he isn't gold is silly though. No matter the way they were released he's still an upgraded version of the 2* version. So he's still a "gold" character, right? Lol
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    People are misunderstanding the bullseye and vision changes, as well as attack tiles themselves.

No, I think most of us understand the changes and attack tiles. That's why the change sucks, because those that think the changes suck, actually use the characters. I think most of the people thinking the change sucks, were wanting clarification, an official response, not just a forumite's explanation of things that we already know.
    1. Attack tiles have no ownership unless stated otherwise. This means if the character that created the attack (strike, protect, etc.) tile dies, that tile remains on the field. It does not vanish upon death like loki or captain america cd's or elektra or dd trap tiles.

Yes, attack tiles are different from trap tiles and countdown tiles, who have ownership. The change can be viewed as confirmation, that something that was working before, was not intended, because the attack tiles were owned by the character in the center position. When Bullseye and Vision were in the center position, they benefited from that ownership, whether intended or not.
    The other meaning of "no ownership" is that no particular character gets credit for the damage dealt by the attack tile (regardless of line up position). In other words, if an attack tile kills an ai character, that character dies, but the cause of death is the attack tile, not a player's character. Again position does not matter. Fist could be the only character left and his attack tile could kill a character, but he does not get credited with the kill because the tile still has no ownership.

Again, position did matter, because Bullseye and Vision, clearly benefited from the center position.
    2. Read Vision ' s blue ability. It buffs only his attacks. It does not say he buffs any tiles on the board. Moreover, because an attack tile has no ownership, it does not count as his attack regardless his position in the line up.

3. Read Bullseye black. It only procs when Bullseye ' s attack kills a character. This could be matching a tile with his symbol or using his green or purple/pink ability. If any of these kill an ai character, Bullseye gets credit and his black procs. However, he does not have ownership of the attack tile (regardless of position), so if the tile kills someone he does not get credit and his black does not activate.

The game doesn't explain everything, so expecting things to only work how listed, isn't really a good explanation.
    TL; DR: non-ownership of attack tiles is not new. It has been part of the game since almost its inception. Bullseye black and vision blue working incorrectly with the attack tile was new and it was a bug.

Think back, do you remember attack, strike, locked, protect, Web tiles disappearing when the character who created them died? No? That's how long characters have not had ownership of these tiles (regardless of line up position).

I wouldn't say that Vision blue and Bullseye black are new, b/c the interactions have happened since they've been released. While your explanation is more in-depth, and nothing new to some of us, it still isn't official clarification, which some of us were wanting to hear.
  • IT JUST HIT ME.

"When a man becomes that which he hates"

SUPERIOR 4 STAR SPIDER-MAN INCOMING!!!!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    IT JUST HIT ME.

"When a man becomes that which he hates"

SUPERIOR 4 STAR SPIDER-MAN INCOMING!!!!

Ok, here we go.

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster, please make this come true.. i will honor you with plates of meatballs.