Patch Notes - R85 (10/5/15)

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    a character that could only be covered through Daily Rewards would be of interest to me ....

The Watcher would be a hilarious choice. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    The Watcher (Uatu) -- First character with three passive abilities?
  • Dayv
    DayvBang wrote:

Ermmm...2nd?

Involuntary hair loss has that effect.

Everyone knows that icon_razz.gif
    Professor X's Blind Spot works like a passive while his tile is out, but it has an activation cost and isn't marked as a passive.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

Ermmm...2nd?

Involuntary hair loss has that effect.

Everyone knows that icon_razz.gif
    Professor X's Blind Spot works like a passive while his tile is out, but it has an activation cost and isn't marked as a passive.

Ach! My apologies. I was stuck on his being presented as "all passive" at some point. But you're right, only 2.5 passives icon_lol.gif

Uatu generally floats.. so , anything 2.5 passives or over can only be used on bald non-ambulatory folks. This is hard coded into the game.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Just a note that this has been updated to R85, since we're going to be rolling both updates together.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    So a man becomes something he hates -and- seeing, healing. They are two different characters, yes?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    any clue when the new game mode will hit.. would it be oct or later
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    ronin-san wrote:
    So a man becomes something he hates -and- seeing, healing. They are two different characters, yes?
    Three, actually.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    Three, actually.

or a hydra icon_e_smile.gif

will we see any new 4 stas before the 2 year thing
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ugh, vision and 3* bullseye just became a lot less interesting.
  • This attack tile fix is the worst. This seriously annoys me more than XForce or 4Thor changes. They were clearly not above the 3* power-curve, even with their nice synergistic use of attack tiles.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    BE is my MVP for waves.. Now he is gonna be back to be a benchwarmer
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    This attack tile fix is the worst. This seriously annoys me more than XForce or 4Thor changes. They were clearly not above the 3* power-curve, even with their nice synergistic use of attack tiles.

It looks a lot less like a nerf (intentional depowering) and more like a bugfix (character was not meant to play like that).

I mean, why should Bullseye get credit for standing there while somebody burns up in Torch's Inferno, or IF's weird constant punch things, or for watching Thor fly out of nowhere to strike down with some lightning?

Bullseye only gets credit for Bullseye's kills. Not somebody else's while he happens to be there.
  • The attack tile change is a shame.
    Vision and Bullseye were not top tier PVP characters wreaking havoc and wrecking a metagame. They were fringe playable PVE characters good for crushing low level nodes in a speedy fashion (at the expense of boosting your scaling), toughing out wave nodes by churning out damage at a higher rate. That's about it.

This flat out removes half of their efficiency in that regard and makes them a lot less useful, and less synergistic.

I've been using Bullseye every day for months in the DPDQ wave node, and I'll break him out in most PVE for some goon node or low level nodes. I'll try him out with the new change, but this may jeopardize the one great use he had. He won't drop to Quicksilver bad, but there may be better wave choices now.

The rationale that had been given with the way Bullseye and Vision interacted with attack tiles in the past was that the attack tiles don't belong to any specific character, but rather your team (Which is why Iron Fist for example doesn't spawn one if there's on created by an opposing Carnage, or your own Storm/Blade/Psylocke/Prof/Beast/Jean). Will they belong to a specific character now? When Iron Fist gets downed, will the attack tile he spawned go away? What if Bullseye is the only character left on your team and you have an attack tile left? Will the attack tile downing an opponent not cause Contract Killer to trigger then?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I don't mind things like sw green, vision blue, or bullseye black getting fixed. My concern is that we get told on a pretty consistent basis that there is not time to fix im40, hulk red, Captain America yellow, 2* captain america, xforce green (and some would argue 4or yellow). I also am aware in the past MPQ has stated OP broken needs to be fixed right away whereas UP broken is not as high a priority.

I may be mistaken (okay, I'm probably mistaken), but sw, vision, bullseye were broken, but by no means OP broken. Does this mean we can finally expect tweaks to the above UP characters/abilities in the near-ish future?
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    As always, I'm mostly pondering the new hint.

"A man becomes that which he hates"

(Red) Hulk? Venom?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I don't mind things like sw green, vision blue, or bullseye black getting fixed. My concern is that we get told on a pretty consistent basis that there is not time to fix im40, hulk red, Captain America yellow, 2* captain america, xforce green (and some would argue 4or yellow). I also am aware in the past MPQ has stated OP broken needs to be fixed right away whereas UP broken is not as high a priority.

I may be mistaken (okay, I'm probably mistaken), but sw, vision, bullseye were broken, but by no means OP broken. Does this mean we can finally expect tweaks to the above UP characters/abilities in the near-ish future?
    Well, there is a difference between being broken, balance-wise, and being broken as in the ability wasn't doing what it says in the description. Things like Vision's blue and Bullseye black were doing things that they didn't say they were supposed to do in the description, which was why they got fixed. The UP characters/abilities, as terrible as they are, do exactly what they say in their descriptions and thus are not in need of "fixing".

Anyway, I have actually become pretty jaded about the devs' (in)ability to balance this game. Out of the numerous character balance changes, I think I can count the number of good changes they have done on one hand, and even then they are usually accompanied by a slew of terrible changes. Maybe it's just the lesser of two evils for the devs to just leave the character balance well the heck alone.
  • Dayv
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Or less broken. The powers obviously weren't meant to work like that.

I mean, both are weak character designs, IMO, but relying on a bug to make them useful is not a viable long-term strategy.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Or less broken. The powers obviously weren't meant to work like that.

I mean, both are weak character designs, IMO, but relying on a bug to make them useful is not a viable long-term strategy.

I will absolutely miss the BE/IF on trivial essential nodes, that being said, i fully intend to use BE/IF on trivial nodes.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too bad they couldn't turn the bug into a feature. Just mention that center position owns attack tiles, done. Two characters that aren't that great, continue to get a lot more use than they would otherwise. Instead of getting more use out of 2 characters, these 2 characters are going to see a lot less use overall. I'd rather the devs do things to make us use more of the characters more often. It would be a lot different if these characters were game breaking / overpowered, but that is definitely not the case. Other than when they're featured, I highly doubt that these characters are used at all in PVP. I wonder if we'll see HP buyback offers for these 2 characters. I have dupes of both, because of their usefulness with attack tiles. If HP is offered, both are getting sold so I have the roster slots for new characters or better dupes.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used Vision/Iron Fist /Cage a lot in the Gauntlet, they could chew through some tricky teams with little difficulty. Not surprised to see this changed, I doubt that was how the ability was intended to work.