Place your bets! Poll: Whaling a 5*

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.

This is what I'm worried about. I like collecting all the characters but I'm still hiding behind level 166. Getting a silver surfer could screw everything up for me.

Still...it'll be incentive to level up my 4*s. They'll be 10 levels short of even the most basic 5* at max level.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Wasn't it mentioned the tokens cannot be bought anyway?
    If not, probably a week if that.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.

This is what I'm worried about. I like collecting all the characters but I'm still hiding behind level 166. Getting a silver surfer could screw everything up for me.

Still...it'll be incentive to level up my 4*s. They'll be 10 levels short of even the most basic 5* at max level.

A 255 SS isn't going to move your needle much, since your featured 166 is 256 anyway.
  • I voted 1 week because it takes banks time to transfer large sums of money.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    One week! Having one maxed out will be your announcement to the (MPQ)world that you make a whole lot of money, or really bad decisions!
  • I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.

That thought makes me want to play my fledgling Android acct more. Day 22, already has 3 single cover 4*s and several 3*s. Of course it's scaling has increased rapidly, but that should happen anyway with ANY roster development. Can't be facing lvl 5 goons forever!

True but a 4* starts at lvl 70 which isn't a big deal against your scaling since your 2* guys are going to surpass that quick anyway. But with 5* starting at 250 that throws you way past even max 3*. I only have on character over 200 (211 to be exact) and my pve scaling has me fighting lvl 209 Dark Avengers. Granted I have several maxxed 3* that figure into that number. Regardless it won't be a case the great majority will have to worry about.
  • I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.

I don't PvE so I don't know about the scaling. But if you sold your SS, wouldn't that put you back where you started? You could always do that if you really want to play PvE the way it is now!
  • i went with first day...

Because MPQ gonna MPQ... icon_e_wink.gif

marc
  • If someone decides to whale SS, they really do deserve to be invincible for the limited time he will be OP.

Personally, I would rather buy a new car, but that person is paying for our game in one huge blow. I'm okay with that.

When Jean was released, I saw her maxed before her PvE release was over.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    One week! Having one maxed out will be your announcement to the (MPQ)world that you make a whole lot of money, or really bad decisions!
    Or both, really.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    JordonLee wrote:
    Wasn't it mentioned the tokens cannot be bought anyway?
    If not, probably a week if that.
    You can't buy one directly, but you get a "free" one with every 40 token pack you buy.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    By November the odds will go up to a 10% chance of getting one 5*. I don't think we will see a max 5* before Jan. to get 13 covers of a 5* will really take forever and since you can only get 1 legendary token for a 40 pack even whales will hold off. On the other hand if you consistently hit 1300. Hit all PVE's and DPDQ, and anniversary week drops some of them we could see a 5* maxed by November. The odds are not good and I would love to know how many tokens it takes the first person to get a 5* maxed.
  • A week. I know how this works.

And there's worse things to waste money on. Trust me.
  • What makes me sad is that whaling for a 5* is more expensive than paying off my students loans.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    What makes me sad is that whaling for a 5* is more expensive than paying off my students loans.
    But what's more satisfying: paying off one person's student loans, or beating a whole mess of people in PvP?
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going with one month, and not day one, for one reason: You don't know when Mr/s. Whale-to-End-All-Whales has his/her payday.

The big caveat will be that you don't need more than about 3 covers to be essentially unassailable. If you're whaling it up enough to score 3 Surfer covers (in any configuration, by the way) you already definitely have most, if not all, the 4* maxed out. Anyone facing you will be slamming themselves against a boosted pair of 4*'s plus Surfer's silly broken ****. Say goodnight. That Everest-sized helping of health alone is going to stop anyone hoping to do anything more than use 3 health packs in the likely failure of an attempt to take your points.

So in the end, regardless of who gets the 13th cover in play first, we're definitely going to see a whole lot of people get fed up and quite because those Surfer-holders will be very firmly planted atop every bracket they choose to reside in. That is unless Demiurge finally gets around to separating the player base into leagues of some sort...
  • DayvBang wrote:
    What makes me sad is that whaling for a 5* is more expensive than paying off my students loans.
    But what's more satisfying: paying off one person's student loans, or beating a whole mess of people in PvP?

Why not both?
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Seeing you can't outright buy 5* covers I guess people can't demand money back when D3 decides to nerf them
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    if we don't see one in a couple months then it'll be a longgggg time before we see one at all, cause once they start bringing out more 5*'s then the numbers increase a ton. It's made all the worse by the fact you can't actually buy legendary tokens outside of 40 packs, and even then you only get 1, so it'll be a long time before we see any 5* maxed.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Day One! My reasoning is that if it is possible in any way then somebody will do it just because they can and will want to brag about it. That same person will basically then be top of all versus leaderboards for a long time and be able to hoard all the gained legendary tokens ready for the next release, along with building a nice stashed of HP earned in game for the next 5* release.