Place your bets! Poll: Whaling a 5*

GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Self explanatory. How long before you see a maxed 5* in PvP?

Winners receive nothing but bragging rights.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Based on the stats of SS, you won't nearly need to max him out to make you nearly untouchable. I'm sure we'll have half covered ones within weeks that grant players untouchable status beyond a few people doing it to prove that they can be beaten after a slog.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Winners get to face the whale wrath of a maxed Silver Surfer with 60K Health and 1500 Match Damage icon_lol.gif
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Day of release. Rationale: if someone is going to spend thousands of dollars trying to obtain maxed SS, why wait?
  • MrGaunt25 wrote:
    Day of release. Rationale: if someone is going to spend thousands of dollars trying to obtain maxed SS, why wait?
    I would assume they might wait a week or so, just in case they pull one from a legendary token they earned in another way (e.g. the taco tokens - maybe people will crack their stockpiles). I figure pulling even one cover without having to buy it, might save quite a bit of money in the end. Though I guess for the people willing to spend $$ saving a couple thousand might not even factor into their decision.

I picked one week. Don't think they will wait that much longer - since the first maxed 5* = easy progressions/placements to earn more tokens for the next 5*. Though I guess with this logic and the fact that 5* are self proclaimed useful with fewer covers, we might see 8/13 SS to 10/13 SS on the day of release whilst they slowly complete their SS from easy legendary tokens gained from pvp.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Max covering will take 250packs is extremely lucky, more like 350-400.
    307 is the average amount needed.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    MrGaunt25 wrote:

This is my gut feeling too, but I voted a week. I'm thinking even the super whales need a few days.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    MrGaunt25 wrote:

Yeah, if it happens it'll probably happen within the first 1-2 days. If someone is going to spend that much money, then they don't have any reason to wait to do so. And they also probably (hopefully!) have enough money already that they don't care about 25K

Edit: What I'm really wondering about is whether we'll get a national news story where someone loses their house because they spent all their money on Silver Surfer. Because... Impulse control.
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    And 307 40 packs, at around $100 a pack, is a bit over 30 thousand dollars.

I know we have a number of whales out there, but sheesh. That could put a down payment on a really nice house.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Enoc99 wrote:

I know we have a number of whales out there, but sheesh. That could put a down payment on a really nice house.

It's not that bad. 307 * 11400 (current Heroic price) - 200 (daily deal) = 3499800. That's 174.99 Starks, so $17.5k.

I guarantee we have at least one multi-millionaire in our midst that won't have much problem doing that, especially since it makes them virtually PvP invincible.
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 wrote:

It's not that bad. 307 * 11400 (current Heroic price) - 200 (daily deal) = 3499800. That's 174.99 Starks, so $17.5k.

I guarantee we have at least one multi-millionaire in our midst that won't have much problem doing that, especially since it makes them virtually PvP invincible.
    Plus, if they spend that much early on, that will virtually guarantee them earning the 1300 pvp progression, and the 10000 pvp season progression every season, and also allow them to save up their HP (as they likely won't have need to shield), thus guaranteeing them that they will be among the first to be able to max the rest of the 5* with minimal additional investment.

So Silver Surfer can be viewed as pay (a whole heck of a lot) to win. Though I think that the number of people who will go this route will be very few and far between.
  • Punisher5784
    I wonder how many parent's "kids" will accidentally purchase a bunch of 40 pks on their account icon_lol.gif
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    There are people in this world for whom money is absolutely no object. I'm not talking small time rap stars who flash it (ala P Diddy or JayZ even), I'm talking oil barons and those others born absurdly rich. I am certain that at least one such individual is sure to play MPQ, and will have no problem maxing out a SS-5 in no time. While I voted a week, because there is a chance that someone will wait, I am certainly not too optimistic - I believe that 3-5 days will be when we see the first one.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I went with week, I imagine he's close to unbeatable at 9 - 11 covers. So someone might want to test before they commit to a build. Plus have a chance to win a few tokens before its doubles.

With that said. It might be smart to go to 3/3/3 day 1 or close to as possible then play the 3 or 4 weeks before the next 5 and decide if you want to max before the tokens dilute.

How much cheaper is it to stop at 9 or 10 covers vs all 13? Thousands, how many?
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    san-mpq wrote:
    There are people in this world for whom money is absolutely no object. I'm not talking small time rap stars who flash it (ala P Diddy or JayZ even), I'm talking oil barons and those others born absurdly rich. I am certain that at least one such individual is sure to play MPQ, and will have no problem maxing out a SS-5 in no time. While I voted a week, because there is a chance that someone will wait, I am certainly not too optimistic - I believe that 3-5 days will be when we see the first one.

Lots of people here have spent 1k or more. So they would only need to be 20x richer to equal that out. Don't have to be a billionaire.

Also imagine the defensive wins the first guy gets off everyone testing it out.
  • Enoc99
    Even if less than 2-3 people whale a 5*, D3 is going to have a really good fourth quarter financial report this year.
  • Punisher5784
    Enoc99 wrote:
    Even if less than 2-3 people whale a 5*, D3 is going to have a really good fourth quarter financial report this year.

Maybe they'll invest in creating new PVE storylines
  • san
    Enoc99 wrote:

I'd hate to tell you this, but $20k-$60k barely pays for their salaries, I bet. I think they make quite a bit more money than that, and you'd need more than just 2-3 super whales to affect their quarterlies. That said, I don't think they'd mind the extra dough anyways.
  • san
    nwman wrote:
    Lots of people here have spent 1k or more. So they would only need to be 20x richer to equal that out. Don't have to be a billionaire.

Also imagine the defensive wins the first guy gets off everyone testing it out.

While I agree that you don't NEED to be much richer than that to spend $20K, I do believe that those at that particular bracket (the uber-rich, but not ridiculously so) have made it there through NOT making such wasteful decisions (and yes, $20,000 on ANY videogame IS a waste - you could rent Jason Statham painted in silver for that money - yes he has been painted silver before, true story, google it). In any case, I think the really really ridiculously rich (and good looking icon_e_wink.gif ) would be the only ones to make such decisions, as they have more money than they can spend in their lifetime - or folks with very poor judgment, either way.
  • I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel sorry for the new player that inevitably wins a SS by using a pve progression token and immediately watches the game become unplayable due to mmr and personal scaling.

5* vs Prologue = !!