A big thanks to the MPQ bullies...

Comments

• Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    The takeaway from the posts in this thread appears to be that if you didn't already have a maxed boosted 4* team, you weren't going to do particularly well toget the 1000 progression reward for a 4* cover, much less a 1st place 4* cover. Which is a problem.
    its tough...and yes 4* players have it easier. But 3* players can use shields.

Trust me....I tried to explore this back in my old pvp progression thread......

But the sad thing is, if you simply are part of the Marvel Fight Club, then you can get 1k and 1.3k easy

Right now, my intention is to try and get the 1000pt progression, nothing else. I can't win 1st, and most times I don't care about the 3* rewards, so progression is all I care about. And I try to save the HP I can get to afford roster slots for the never ending march of characters, or maybe to buy a cover for one of my under leveled 4*s, since getting to a 4* cover is so tough otherwise. So its a dilemma as to how/when to spend the HP...on a shield hop with hopes that the timing is right and I don't get blasted, or save it for a more expensive sure thing.
  • Konman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    The takeaway from the posts in this thread appears to be that if you didn't already have a maxed boosted 4* team, you weren't going to do particularly well toget the 1000 progression reward for a 4* cover, much less a 1st place 4* cover. Which is a problem.

But the sad thing is, if you simply are part of the Marvel Fight Club, then you can get 1k and 1.3k easy

Right now, my intention is to try and get the 1000pt progression, nothing else. I can't win 1st, and most times I don't care about the 3* rewards, so progression is all I care about. And I try to save the HP I can get to afford roster slots for the never ending march of characters, or maybe to buy a cover for one of my under leveled 4*s, since getting to a 4* cover is so tough otherwise. So its a dilemma as to how/when to spend the HP...on a shield hop with hopes that the timing is right and I don't get blasted, or save it for a more expensive sure thing.
    as someone who's gotten 1000 pts progression for(I guess the past season?), shield hopping is totally possible....I mean let's just say it and get it out the way:

the better/more powerful/more whaled your roster, the less likely you'll be a target

but if your roster isn't great, you can still do it. Sure, you have to have things go very very well(even perfect), but I've shield hopped with Hood before(a liability because his HP is so low nowadays).

Have there been PVPs where I couldn't hit 1000? Sure

But most of the times I hit 1000.

And I'd much rather spend 300-500hp per 4* cover than 2500.

My old post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31474

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31474&start=80#p392564
    raisinbman wrote:
    Yeah, so I'm still not sure about this 'hitting 1000 pts thing', but as I've been asked to expand on my progress, I will.

And of course its always on stream if you're that curious about my processes.

For every PVP, I enter right away, usually bracket 1 or 4 in order to have the oldest bracket I can find, and it makes climbing to 1,000 less of a gamble. I wait until a good amount of folks reach 800+ points(ideally 1,000) and then start my climb. If its a dangerous PVP, I will shield at 800, if not, I'll try to get 1,000. I judge the danger by the frequency and intensity of attacks against me. After that, it's just a matter of shieldhopping.

Sticks and Stones - #2 at 1132 points. Got to 900 points with no trouble, kind of failed to shield hop to 1,000 and finally shield hopped to 1132. There wasn't enough time in the bracket to get a higher score, and scores were very low past 950+.

Half Inch Hero - Got to around 800 points. Got to around 900 points and couldn't find anyone worth points. Tried to shield hop later to be met with plenty of attacks. But eventually got to 1,000. Was particularly tough tourney because powered up characters were SHEEP, at least on the 3* level.

Lord of Thunder - Surprisingly had a hard time getting to 800 even though I was fielding max thor/luke cage. Was very low on time so just settled for a sub-800 score.

Unholy Outlaw - shielded at 800. Got to 900~ then there was a lack of points. Got to 1,000, then 1160~ and shielded to secure top 25 so I could get Iron Fist green

Fist Bump - probably one of my best performances and placements in a long, longggg time since I was able to field buffed cage/danny + Killer Kam. Got #2 at 1200~ points. There were ALOT of points available which put me alot closer to 1300 than normal.

TLDR: Efficient characters who are buffed and high scorers really helped my advance.

I think if high level seed opponents were implemented, it'd be less painful to shield hop during the less cutthroat, low score PVPs.
  • Konman
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:

as someone who's gotten 1000 pts progression for(I guess the past season?), shield hopping is totally possible....I mean let's just say it and get it out the way:

the better/more powerful/more whaled your roster, the less likely you'll be a target

but if your roster isn't great, you can still do it. Sure, you have to have things go very very well(even perfect), but I've shield hopped with Hood before(a liability because his HP is so low nowadays).

Have there been PVPs where I couldn't hit 1000? Sure

But most of the times I hit 1000.

And I'd much rather spend 300-500hp per 4* cover than 2500.

The vast majority of my 4* have been from the 1000pt progression, and my roster is decent, but I don't have any truly usable 4*s, mostly 2 or 3 covers per. Last one I earned, I had to wait for a week before I had enough HP to buy a roster slot, and I only have 44 slots. So I usually try one shield, and then break the 1000 mark, but sometimes, like this event, it just doesn't work out.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    These threads honestly just make pvp seem like a less and less appealing part of the game lol.

Lots of talking on this forum like you get to hand-select the teams you get covers for. But you guys have been at it so long you're bound to have nearly everyone.

Well as long as you're all having fun I guess.
  • Konman wrote:

The vast majority of my 4* have been from the 1000pt progression, and my roster is decent, but I don't have any truly usable 4*s, mostly 2 or 3 covers per. Last one I earned, I had to wait for a week before I had enough HP to buy a roster slot, and I only have 44 slots. So I usually try one shield, and then break the 1000 mark, but sometimes, like this event, it just doesn't work out.

I don't either but I am at least making progress.....although it sounds like **** my professor X is at 4 blue so he's at least usable

And although my other characters aren't usable - I have more covers per 4* on average(5 covers) than I used to(1 cover). Progress is progress, especially in MPQ. Hopefully we get 4* deadpool daily soon
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    okay. stupid question of the day. is it possible to cue up specific people in pvp? cause all i see is three nodes of somewhat randomized (but not really...) opponents. how is it possible for a bunch of people to have one person cued up waiting for them to break shields?
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    jredd wrote:
    okay. stupid question of the day. is it possible to cue up specific people in pvp? cause all i see is three nodes of somewhat randomized (but not really...) opponents. how is it possible for a bunch of people to have one person cued up waiting for them to break shields?

Paying the skip tax, It's not a stupid question, I played for an embarassingly long time before I even noticed the skip button (okay, I'm probably stupid for that).

I would just attack whoever was in my 3 nodes without searching for better targets, now I skip with the best of them.

There's no way to "pick" your target per se, but you can just keep skipping until you get the desired, unshielded target.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You were just unlucky. At 7h30 I climbed from 450 to 1020 in one go without being attacked once, which is a first I admit.

Had been beaten back from 700 several times in the previous two days in that same stale bracket where no one got over 800 and then suddenly the stars aligned.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    Konman wrote:
    You think it's a problem that someone with a 3* roster can't finish first against people with a 4* boosted roster? I'd have a much bigger problem with it if they could.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit 1K with only 3* characters (Daken+Magneto+either Bullseye or Hood) using a single 3 hour shield, and that was out of an abundance of caution rather than hitting a wall. You shouldn't expect to place higher than the 4* teams, but why would that be reasonable?
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Retired wrote:

first rule... We just don't talk about it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    nonnel wrote:
    Retired wrote:

And if we did, we'd tell him that none of us hit 1300 because a yellow SL just wasn't worth the effort in the off-season.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    nonnel wrote:
    Retired wrote:

And if we did, we'd tell him that none of us hit 1300 because a yellow SL just wasn't worth the effort in the off-season.
    was talking about in general.

But if we want to talk about the actual issue at hand here:

In this tourney people struggled to even get to 1000. There is a problem with the system when
    you can't reach the rewards.

**VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!

VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!

VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!**
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    nonnel wrote:
    Retired wrote:

was talking about in general.

But if we want to talk about the actual issue at hand here:

In this tourney people struggled to even get to 1000. There is a problem with the system when
    you can't reach the rewards.

**VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!

VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!

VOTE FOR HIGH POINT SEED BOTS!**

I would be happy to, but the downvotes have been disabled. So I guess you'll have to wait.

I had no trouble hitting 1000. I ran Cmags Loki Hood, because they were all buffed and pretty much automatic on offense. Because work is very intense this week, I started hopping at 700. Yes, I got hit a lot after every hop, but people seemed to be giving me time. Even won 3 on defense. It took 5 hops (would have been 4 but got to "enjoy" a crash penalty on one), at about 5min per hop. It was easy finding targets up to 50pts. And with the 3*s boosted to 290, those 4* teams were no problem.

Now 1300...was out of the question. No body was going there. Nobody gets there alone. Not in the era of limited shields anyway.
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Gotta say, I was using that same team (maxed CMags, Hood, Loki) and made the 1K Thing reward without too much trouble. Some shield hopping, of course, but that par for the course. Key is to hop really quickly: in the last 24 hours, I never stay out more than 6 minutes. If a battle is taking too long, retreat, and try again later.
    Very much looking forward to a time when I have enough maxed 4 stars to be able to get to 1K without shielding, but, until then, couple bucks worth of shields is worth it for me.
  • I would be happy to, but the downvotes have been disabled. So I guess you'll have to wait.

I had no trouble hitting 1000. I ran Cmags Loki Hood, because they were all buffed and pretty much automatic on offense. Because work is very intense this week, I started hopping at 700. Yes, I got hit a lot after every hop, but people seemed to be giving me time. Even won 3 on defense. It took 5 hops (would have been 4 but got to "enjoy" a crash penalty on one), at about 5min per hop. It was easy finding targets up to 50pts. And with the 3*s boosted to 290, those 4* teams were no problem.

Now 1300...was out of the question. No body was going there. Nobody gets there alone. Not in the era of limited shields anyway.
    exactly my point
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Konman wrote:

Well not exactly. For me it was more 'if you dont choose a good team, even when all your chars are being buffed, you are going to be attacked a lot'. In this PvP I got to 1000 with 3 - 3s without problems (doom, mags, hood). I just had to use one shield, and it was because I was playing for captain falcon too and I didnt have all the health packs (and it is usually more difficult in this offseason events).

Being 1 on the other hand, that is really difficult. I think I have not won an event since Seasons were introduced icon_razz.gif (well I won one star lord in an off season event more than half a year ago, but that was really strange)
  • Konman
    simonsez wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    You think it's a problem that someone with a 3* roster can't finish first against people with a 4* boosted roster? I'd have a much bigger problem with it if they could.

That's not what I said nor think. The point was that the way the PVP is designed makes the progress from 3* to 4* extremely difficult. I know I'm not going to get 1st place, that's why the progression is important, but if the 1000 point threshold is blocked off by boosted 4* teams, then the transition is slowed to a stop. Read the other things I've written here before proclaiming what I think.
  • Konman
    I hit 1K with only 3* characters (Daken+Magneto+either Bullseye or Hood) using a single 3 hour shield, and that was out of an abundance of caution rather than hitting a wall. You shouldn't expect to place higher than the 4* teams, but why would that be reasonable?

If that was my point, sure. I don't expect to, and have never, won an event. The point being that its just another way that the transition from one level to the next has serious issues. Right now, you can grind your life away in a PVE event, or try for a 1000 point progression cover. That's pretty much it for active playing to earn a cover. And if the 1000 point rewards are an increasingly unreliable cover source, a source that was already pretty darn slow, then I think its a problem.
  • Konman wrote:
    Right now, you can grind your life away in a PVE event, or try for a 1000 point progression cover. That's pretty much it for active playing to earn a cover. And if the 1000 point rewards are an increasingly unreliable cover source, a source that was already pretty darn slow, then I think its a problem.

With more people hitting 1K than ever ... and ther always being a 4* at 1K ... how is that an increasingly unreliable source of 4* covers?

With the current meta and progression ladder, the 1K target is increasingly accessible, and very reliable.
    I think its become easier but I distinctly remember 2 times when I couldn't get 1k points. Being one of the only options to get 4* covers, it can be pretty devastating to not reach that point.