Seeking input on proposal to update daily rewards

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Not to make myself sound more important then I am.
    It's an important view, it's also a rare one in the crowd of voices that only care for 4 stars.

It certainly is an important view

A new players, a player whos currently staring at 40 3 stars instead of 7 and them still being an uncommon occurrence.. 4 star players don't not play when 3 stars are awarded.
    I had 24/30 3*s back in the day. 19 of them had 2 covers or less - what's your point here? This is part of the growing pains of this game

a 2 star roster doesn't exactly make it up to 800 unattacked in pvp this is true, especially when the competing players already have the loaner 3 star, but leveled up optimally instead of 1 cover a piece (which is an improvement over the single random cover) and could care less for you trying to earn a 3 star and see you as a stepping stone to 1000 and now 1300 as well. while technically true, the 800 point progression is supposed to be the old 600 - while a 2* roster won't make it, it is (presumably) meant to supplement those rosters where players have some 3*s but not exactly optimally covered - i do sell most of these, but have needed a few as well

And your last point was what I'm getting at. There still is no guaranteed 3 star a day. Theres a 3 star a day if you have them.
    Easing the transition is all I'm getting at. AND THIS exactly is the point we disagree on. Not the point you stated - I agree that there are no guarantees unless you have one - what I disagree on is the sense of entitlement that there SHOULD be one. There never was in my 3* transition days, we did without it - yes I sound old here (up the hill in snow both ways to and from school, sort of old) but the point stands. You aren't ENTITLED to it, you get it as a REWARD. It is to HELP with TRANSITION, not to give free covers. It certainly helps the transition, and would have helped me (and did) when I had those 19x 1 cover 3*s

And take this as a player who is new here but was on top in another free to play. It's important to pave the road equally at all points, not just the beginning and end. so because you're good at one game, you should be good at all? I'm not quite getting the point of this part.
    [/quote][/quote]

Read my responses in bold.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    They need to just do away with 3* covers and give us ISO, HP, and Heroic 10 Packs.

It sounds like way too much, but seriously, guys, seriously: Heroic 10-packs are not a big thing. You should give them out more because 10 chances at nothing isn't very much more than 1 chance at nothing.

Yes, I've said it: Heroic 10-packs are generally garbage, but they're better than garbage singles.

We grind our way to 4000 points in a season, and if we're really lucky, we'll get two 3*s that we'll have to sell.

So, yeah, I would totally take a 10-pack instead of the upcoming Squirrel Girl. There's almost exactly the same chance I'll just end up selling one 3* character, but at least I'll have the experience of opening a pack.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    It sounds like way too much, but seriously, guys, seriously: Heroic 10-packs are not a big thing. You should give them out more because 10 chances at nothing isn't very much more than 1 chance at nothing.

Yes, I've said it: Heroic 10-packs are generally garbage, but they're better than garbage singles.

We grind our way to 4000 points in a season, and if we're really lucky, we'll get two 3*s that we'll have to sell.

So, yeah, I would totally take a 10-pack instead of the upcoming Squirrel Girl. There's almost exactly the same chance I'll just end up selling one 3* character, but at least I'll have the experience of opening a pack.

Exactly. And it isn't like I'm saying that we should be getting a heroic 10 pack every time we would have gotten a cover, but rather that we should be getting a heroic ten pack about once every 25 to 50 days.

And it isn't exactly a grind anymore to get the heroic 10 pack once a season. Not only that, but I've found a way to pretty much guarantee that I'm getting 3-5 heroic ten packs a season. Trouble is, there are only about three 3*s that aren't max covered on my roster right now, so unless I'm getting 4*s, the entire heroic ten pack is just a bit of ISO.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    san-mpq wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    b]so because you're good at one game, you should be good at all? I'm not quite getting the point of this part.[/b]
    [/quote]

Read my responses in bold.[/quote]

My ability isn't what Im referencing.

My knowledge of the game only appealing to end game players and it's current tanking status as a result is what I'm referring to. Lots of suggestions here are only from players already vested. so the changes they want only reflect people that have downloaded the application in its early stages. the 3 star transition can't be the same. just like the 4 star one can't.

I could care less about skill. Skill in a puzzle game especially, or any other game to be honest.

And I don't see how the daily resupply would have anything to do with 'earning', or 'back in the old days.' or being free covers.

I can't see how a random chance at 1 of the 40 3 stars weekly would effect anyone in the top's anything.

the whole point of changes is so that things are better for future players. So you can recommend the game to a friend without them having to spend 2 years playing catch-up when in reality, they never will.

in fact I'm missing when I said guarantee a 3 star a day. It's a point we disagree on, but it certainly isn't one I even brought up to begin with. I brought it up because you did.

Even if DDQ didn't require the 3 star, it wouldn't be free. it can't be beat on day 1. It can't even be beat without fully leveled 2 stars.
    We're also moving way past the point.

Adjusting shield resupply to benefit all players, whether a day 1 dude or dudette or someone playing since apps release.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Even if DDQ didn't require the 3 star, it wouldn't be free. it can't be beat on day 1. It can't even be beat without fully leveled 2 stars.

Actually, on my tablet, i do quite fine with 3 lvl 87 2*s (Thor, Marvel, OBW), finished TBE on non-ninja days about 10 times so far with it. Took about 2-3 weeks to get them there. And that is playing barely an hour a day on it.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    X-Force - 275, 290, 305
    IW - 320, 335, 350
    Devil Dinosaur - 365, 366, 367
    NFury - 380, 395, 410
    4or - 425, 440, 445
    Elektra - 470, 485, 500,
    Starlord - 515, 530, 545
    ProfX - 560, 575, 590
    Kingpin - 605, 620, 635
    Whoever comes next - 650, 665, 680
    And then the next one - 695, 710, 725
    And continues…

I had tried a model of a block of 3 (aka Devil Dino) but with whole characters currently at 60 days, it just didn’t work - this makes it 45.

I just hit day 380 and was looking ahead to finally getting more Nick Fury covers. So help me, if your proposal is accepted and I miss my Nick Fury covers, I will look for you. I will find you. And I will...make you watch The Sound of Music on infinite loop.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

Actually, on my tablet, i do quite fine with 3 lvl 87 2*s (Thor, Marvel, OBW), finished TBE on non-ninja days about 10 times so far with it. Took about 2-3 weeks to get them there. And that is playing barely an hour a day on it.
    You don't think your knowledge of playing benefited you in any way?

Also very interesting that you happened into the 3 star of the day within 2 weeks of playing.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    this one hurts the most by far

445 - star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_captainamerica.pngyellowflag.png Captain America (Steve Rogers)
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I dunno, the yellowflag.png Squirrel Girl I have coming up in 4 days for day 655 feels pretty bad.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Demolira wrote:
    I dunno, the yellowflag.png Squirrel Girl I have coming up in 4 days for day 655 feels pretty bad.

It's ok, there's a 1000 ISO only 4 days after that (659) which is going to be twice as useful.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    The daily rewards are a tricky thing and it's hard to appeal to everyone both new and currently in game.

The general aim of this conversation was to improve the overall health of the whole system (to where the game is roughly at in its current and immediate future phase). I am not sure, if I will or will not update the original idea again (I am sure it could be done), as it's really up to the devs as to what they want to give out (or some direction which we can go off).

For example, if they say, "we are not ever giving you one of each 3* character colour", then that solves that problem. If they say, we'll give you one of each 4* cover but only under criterias A and B", then that is what we have to work with. There may be elements of various ideas that they like but not others. etc etc.

Something also like, "we have found that the average player has A rosters slots at day 100, B roster slots at day 200, C roster slots at day 300, etc." could also help indicate our direction. But they know all this stuff already and could assign it to someone to work on.

I know there are some long time people who would miss out on things whichever way this goes (I am sure I would too) and maybe they could throw something at us but sometimes games go like that.

It's been very interesting reading all of your comments and thank you to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    The daily rewards are a tricky thing and it's hard to appeal to everyone both new and currently in game.

I am not sure, if I will or will not update the original idea again (I am sure it could be done), as it's really up to the devs as to what they want to give out (or some direction which we can go off).

For example, if they say, "we are not ever giving you one of each 3* character colour", then that solves that problem. If they say, we'll give you one of each 4* cover but only under criterias A and B", then that is what we have to work with. There may be elements of various ideas that they like but not others. etc etc.

It's been very interesting reading all of your comments and thank you to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

I think the bigger hurdle to clear about a revamp of the system is how to deal with the day 1-300 veterans who now would feel entitled to demand a huge amount of resources and covers that they would have missed.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I think the bigger hurdle to clear about a revamp of the system is how to deal with the day 1-300 veterans who now would feel entitled to demand a huge amount of resources and covers that they would have missed.
    Yeah, I just added a comment about this to my post and I think the devs once indicated this a long time ago as a big stumbling block.

I don't really have a solution for this but I tend to think if improvements can be made to better the whole, then they should happen. There must be a selected way that maybe long time players can be given a few things that might have passed but these particular players have already had access to an almost equivalent lot of stuff (as a broad average), but again, this is really up to the devs to say yes this, no that, yes something else.

It's also about explaining your plan well and thinking ahead to answer issues and questions when they will arise (did someone say True Healing?). I know I would be uchy if I missed some covers, but there has to be a simple enough workaround.

Maybe there are compromise models that we haven't found yet.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Pylgrim wrote:

TBH, they probably wouldn't get anything, so long as the reward structure wasn't retroactive for anyone. I mean, those are the same people who benefited from numerous HP sales, events that gave away a ton of covers, and the anniversary.

That would be like saying that they should be compensated because they played X number of days before DDQ was released.
  • Pylgrim
    Buret0 wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

TBH, they probably wouldn't get anything, so long as the reward structure wasn't retroactive for anyone. I mean, those are the same people who benefited from numerous HP sales, events that gave away a ton of covers, and the anniversary.

That would be like saying that they should be compensated because they played X number of days before DDQ was released.

Oh I'm not saying that they should, I'm saying that there will be an outrage because so many people will think they do. And to be honest, I could understand the outrage a bit as I myself would feel a bit miffed if a Purple Prof X cover (of which I have 0! -darn RNG making all times he's 1k PVP progression reward a blue cover) would randomly be given away to people that have been playing less time than I with no way for me to get the freebie too.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    san-mpq wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Not to make myself sound more important then I am.
    It's an important view, it's also a rare one in the crowd of voices that only care for 4 stars.

It certainly is an important view

A new players, a player whos currently staring at 40 3 stars instead of 7 and them still being an uncommon occurrence.. 4 star players don't not play when 3 stars are awarded.
    I had 24/30 3*s back in the day. 19 of them had 2 covers or less - what's your point here? This is part of the growing pains of this game

a 2 star roster doesn't exactly make it up to 800 unattacked in pvp this is true, especially when the competing players already have the loaner 3 star, but leveled up optimally instead of 1 cover a piece (which is an improvement over the single random cover) and could care less for you trying to earn a 3 star and see you as a stepping stone to 1000 and now 1300 as well. while technically true, the 800 point progression is supposed to be the old 600 - while a 2* roster won't make it, it is (presumably) meant to supplement those rosters where players have some 3*s but not exactly optimally covered - i do sell most of these, but have needed a few as well

And your last point was what I'm getting at. There still is no guaranteed 3 star a day. Theres a 3 star a day if you have them.
    Easing the transition is all I'm getting at. AND THIS exactly is the point we disagree on. Not the point you stated - I agree that there are no guarantees unless you have one - what I disagree on is the sense of entitlement that there SHOULD be one. There never was in my 3* transition days, we did without it - yes I sound old here (up the hill in snow both ways to and from school, sort of old) but the point stands. You aren't ENTITLED to it, you get it as a REWARD. It is to HELP with TRANSITION, not to give free covers. It certainly helps the transition, and would have helped me (and did) when I had those 19x 1 cover 3*s

And take this as a player who is new here but was on top in another free to play. It's important to pave the road equally at all points, not just the beginning and end. so because you're good at one game, you should be good at all? I'm not quite getting the point of this part.
    [/quote]

Read my responses in bold.[/quote]
    Back in my day I had to aim for PVP placement 50-75 to earn three 2* covers because you could not win 2* any other way. W had no shields and had to play till the end of the PVP of you wanted top 50 and one 3* cover. There was also only one end time that the entire player base played at.
    We had two 4* characters and they were tinykitty.
    And most of all we liked it because we didn't know any better.

Thank you for letting me get my gramps out. And yes this was also when OBW and Spider-Man were gods
  • Pylgrim
    Agreed that kids these days don't know how easy they have it. And that they should get off my darn lawn! icon_razz.gif
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    It sounds like a good opportunity to use a vault, every day you get to pull one thing from the vault and it rotates at a certain number of days. You can't buy tokens for it, you just get one pull each day you log in. Something like:
    Day 1-20 noob vault has 1*s and some ISO
    Day 21-65 has 2*s plus maybe ISO and some HP
    Day 66-365 has one of each 3* plus larger ISO, more HP, roster slots and maybe some tokens or 10-packs
    Day 366-730 all the 4*s, more ISO, larger HP, roster slot bundles, 10 or 42 packs perhaps
    Day 731+ probably the same as the last vault (unless 5*s are upon us by then).

Something like that recycles the existing mechanics and gets people the rewards they're more likely to need. You can tinker around the margins with removing ISO/HP etc... if you need to add more covers when character releases happen since the vault doesn't get generated until the player hits that day. It also alleviates the problems of new 3*s not being able to go into the daily resupply until the current end point which is useless for almost everyone.

The only problem I foresee here is that if I'm in the 4* vault and a new 4* is released I need a mechanism to regenerate a new set of content in the vault which includes the new character. In fact, you could just be allowed to reset your vault as many times as you want (though I imagine they would charge money for it) to bring in new characters or give yourself a shot at another existing character cover or another free roster slot.

Thoughts?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme wrote:
    It sounds like a good opportunity to use a vault, every day you get to pull one thing from the vault and it rotates at a certain number of days. You can't buy tokens for it, you just get one pull each day you log in. Something like:
    Day 1-20 noob vault has 1*s and some ISO
    Day 21-65 has 2*s plus maybe ISO and some HP
    Day 66-365 has one of each 3* plus larger ISO, more HP, roster slots and maybe some tokens or 10-packs
    Day 366-730 all the 4*s, more ISO, larger HP, roster slot bundles, 10 or 42 packs perhaps
    Day 731+ probably the same as the last vault (unless 5*s are upon us by then).

Something like that recycles the existing mechanics and gets people the rewards they're more likely to need. You can tinker around the margins with removing ISO/HP etc... if you need to add more covers when character releases happen since the vault doesn't get generated until the player hits that day. It also alleviates the problems of new 3*s not being able to go into the daily resupply until the current end point which is useless for almost everyone.

The only problem I foresee here is that if I'm in the 4* vault and a new 4* is released I need a mechanism to regenerate a new set of content in the vault which includes the new character. In fact, you could just be allowed to reset your vault as many times as you want (though I imagine they would charge money for it) to bring in new characters or give yourself a shot at another existing character cover or another free roster slot.

Thoughts?

This is actually a very nice little suggestion. As for new chars being added, just have the vaults on a 30 day 50 item rotation.
  • I would greatly appreciate the addition of a "vault" mechanic to the daily rewards.

Any small chance of not getting Standard Tokens and the like would be awesome, and would be another chance to be excited/rewarded by the chance aspect of MPQ.

DBC