Infinite AP 2* team never ends its turn

Comments

• nerf paranoia

is it really paranoia when D3 nerfs a 2* for no reason other than to stop a combo when they could've nerfed a 3* or 4* or even, hell, reworked the 3/4*?

Hood was changed for 4*thor

Scarlet witch/Jenny from the Block were "fixed" in the cruelest sense of the word

right now there's a 3* character that has an ability that a 2* character was nerfed for, yet D3 said "they don't have any changed planned for 3*/4*"
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    ? Magneto MN was never nerfed. He was changed, and not for worse. He's a much better standalone character now and his comboability with cStorm didn't suffer one bit. His ability to generate match-5s did suffer, I agree, but didn't completely go away. Hood's Twin Pistols were nerfed in the utility sense but all the while it gave him a sizable damage buff and made him a better standalone character, likewise.
    SW green was never intended to collect double AP. It's priced this way because it can semi-reliably destroy enemy special tiles, especially CDs. Most skills that can do that are costly, the more reliable, the pricier: Twin Pistols, Star-Spangled Avenger, Peacemaker, Sleight of Hand, Sniper Rifle, Pistol, etc. SW doesn't even have a buyback because her green was simply bugged all this time.
    I don't see what's so OP in this particular team of cStorm/MMN and 2* or 3* Thor, they take considerable time to get going and thus are not 'infinite'.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    SW green was never intended to collect double AP. It's priced this way because it can semi-reliably destroy enemy special tiles, especially CDs. Most skills that can do that are costly, the more reliable, the pricier: Twin Pistols, Star-Spangled Avenger, Peacemaker, Sleight of Hand, Sniper Rifle
    Most of these are 100% guaranteed tile destruction, and most of these are 400-900 damage per AP. SW green is a **** shoot and does no damage per AP. These comparisons are just reminding us that SW green is even worse than we already think it is, and doesn't rationalize its cost for what it does.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    ? Magneto MN was never nerfed. He was changed, and not for worse. He's a much better standalone character now and his comboability with cStorm didn't suffer one bit. His ability to generate match-5s did suffer, I agree, but didn't completely go away.

It's become an article of faith for some that the Polarity Shift rework completely destroyed his synergy with Storm and no amount of synergy with Storm will convince them otherwise.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I imagine if they nerf someone on this team they lead a lot of players to quit out of frustration. There are only so many options in 2* land. I used to use this team before I was solid 3*, nerfing will only put 2* teams further behind, which I don't see as aligning with the devs recent changes to making the game more inviting to 2* player.

They do like to nerf so who knows.
  • I think it's a little silly to imply that all skills should be the same overall power. There's enough problems balancing characters amongst each other. There are far weaker skills like Psylocke's blue.

With old MNMags+Mystique+AP boosts, you could beat level 270s. It was icon_twisted.gif quite fun grabbing 50 points off a team who wouldn't retal. The MagStorm+Thor combo would get quickly wiped against 270s. Also, they did double nerf Mystique.

The people who say that Magstorm was not nerfed were not pushing that team to it's limits.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Samtoka83 wrote:
    You know now this will be the next nerf. Now that D3 will know that there is a way to win games without us getting excessive damage and spending hp on health packs they will nerf just like they did when people announced the combo of mystique, 2* mag and px they nerfed buth mag and mystique

Don't worry about that. This is nothing new. The Dev team has known about this team for a long time. The fact that it takes the length of a normal match just to get started means that there is little chance of it getting nerfed.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    *rolls eyes at leet MMN user* I used MMN extensively before his so-called nerf too, with Mystique as well, and I do not find my overall experience with him any worse after the change. Yes, some options are not as reliable anymore, but new ones opened up: comboing him with Goddess works even better now, and a Cyclops/Daredevil combo emerged. Not to mention Hulkbuster or perhaps Vision - gotta try more new teams.
    MMN can still participate in teams that take down 270s and greater (Hood/cStorm/MMN, Hulk/cStorm/MMN, etc), what's the problem here?

simonsez, did you just complain that a skill that costs 8 AP is not as reliable as costlier skills? Of course SW is random and not 100% reliable, 8 AP is 'cheap' in MPQ.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I find OBW + Thor + CStorm more reliable in the Enchilada for me than MMN + Thor + CStorm. Storm is just do darn squishy. If wave 1 or wave 2 starts to go bad on you, you can find yourself without Storm and then your sort-of-infinite AP game is finished. Just yesterday I had to cast 3 or 4 OBW blue to get through the Big E (accursed ninjas!). My 9-cover 3* Thor was down below half health at one point, until I finally got the yellow-into-green cycle going.

No nerf needed here. DDQ is designed to be beatable by 2*-only teams, after all.
  • simonsez
    simonsez, did you just complain that a skill that costs 8 AP is not as reliable as costlier skills?
    No, I'm complaining that for 8 AP, it's awful. But thanks for asking to confirm, rather than just launching into a contradiction of something I didn't say.
  • MMN can still participate in teams that take down 270s and greater (Hood/cStorm/MMN, Hulk/cStorm/MMN, etc), what's the problem here?

Really? Having other options now I haven't tried beating an unboosted HB/IF team with unboosted MagStorm+Hulk. Are you speaking of only when Storm is boosted or can you take down HB/IF with Magstorm+Hulk? If so, I'd love to see a video; it'd be impressive. I figure it'd be hard gathering the AP to take IF out before IF downs someone, especially since Fist's strike tile isn't enough to trigger Anger unless Hulk's underlevelled.

I like the new MNMagneto, particularly with Steve Rogers or Cyclops. I agree that most things beatable with Magstorm are still beatable now, but with generally more damage to your characters, specifically because it's harder to keep the enemies stunned.

Perhaps it's my playstyle, but I think the old Polarity Shift worked better with Thor, as the line clears and crits really helped gather AP. Also it was nice to use a Iron Hammer once you've farmed your colors off the board, though I'm guessing fewer people use that sort of tactic though and lean towards a 5 cover Magnetic Flux.
  • simonsez
    daibar wrote:
    Are you speaking of only when Storm is boosted or can you take down HB/IF with Magstorm+Hulk? If so, I'd love to see a video; it'd be impressive.
    Yeah, it is, actually. And it's Hood, not Hulk. Once it gets rolling, which doesn't take THAT long, you've got Hood stealing, Storm stunning and generating AP via green, and MnMag generating AP via red and creating more blue via purple.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't play MNMags + CStorm for a long time, pretty much until right before the nerf. I still use them, they still work well together, and with MNMags generating some red now, he uses his Red more often.

When DDQ first started, I was using OBW, 2Thor, and an underleveled Falcon. Long matches, but doable.

I then finally had an extra roster spot and recruited 2*Hawkeye. I then tried out the CStorm + MNMags + Hawkeye and loved how they worked together. That became my go to team for The Big Enchilada if I got frustrated with my original team. MNMags generating Blue for CStorm, and consistently creating Crit tiles at the same time... that match 5 sets off Hawkeye's Critical Shot, beautiful. If CStorm gets downed, you can always use Hawkeye's Blue to stun one person which is better than none. If Mags get's downed, you can use Hawkeye's Red to do AoE damage. It works pretty good.

Now, for the 2* fights in DDQ I use OBW, 2Thor, Hawkeye. OBW and Thor do all the work, and Hawkeye just sits there waiting for a match 5.

Thanks to DDQ, my 3* roster has grown and I now use 3* for the Big Enchilada to breeze through it.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    TxMoose wrote:
    which made sense to nobody since what they fixed worsened her worst ability. took an ability that had minimal use and gave it less use.

Does it really need to make sure from that perspective? It was supposed to work a specific way and it wasn't. That being said, this isn't the thread for that discussion, so I'll agree to let it be. icon_e_smile.gif

And yet they have done nothing about how Blind Spot is broken despite numerous mentions.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    which made sense to nobody since what they fixed worsened her worst ability. took an ability that had minimal use and gave it less use.

Does it really need to make sure from that perspective? It was supposed to work a specific way and it wasn't. That being said, this isn't the thread for that discussion, so I'll agree to let it be. icon_e_smile.gif

And yet they have done nothing about how Blind Spot is broken despite numerous mentions.
    they're countering blind spot with weekly character buffs and the mysterious new character.... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif
    daibar wrote:
    I think it's a little silly to imply that all skills should be the same overall power. There's enough problems balancing characters amongst each other. There are far weaker skills like Psylocke's blue.

With old MNMags+Mystique+AP boosts, you could beat level 270s. It was icon_twisted.gif quite fun grabbing 50 points off a team who wouldn't retal. The MagStorm+Thor combo would get quickly wiped against 270s. Also, they did double nerf Mystique.

The people who say that Magstorm was not nerfed were not pushing that team to it's limits.

glad I'm not alone in here.

whoever says magstorm wasn't nerfed prob thinks there's no war in Ba Sing Se

Also no one is talking about the secret character who has Magneto's power yet isn't nerfed yet....intersante
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Also no one is talking about the secret character who has Magneto's power yet isn't nerfed yet....intersante
    GSBW. Gather purple to turn selected tiles into green to fuel an AOE nuke. The big difference is that GSBW's abilities are more expensive (her green is far more expensive) and there's no green-to-purple complimentary ability to fuel an infinite combo.

Heck, KK is GSBW on steroids as far as speed and damage-per-AP is concerned. Her purple-to-green conversion is faster, too, though with a random component.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    GSBW. Gather purple to turn selected tiles into green to fuel an AOE nuke. The big difference is that GSBW's abilities are more expensive (her green is far more expensive) and there's no green-to-purple complimentary ability to fuel an infinite combo.

Heck, KK is GSBW on steroids as far as speed and damage-per-AP is concerned. Her purple-to-green conversion is faster, too, though with a random component.
    so why did they drive a knife through magneto if GSBW is a "balanced" version? Didn't he just need an AP increase according to this logic?

and if GSBW isn't infinite, it's pretty close - BOP is 80% GSBW + Prof X
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

Wait, Blind Spot is broken? I thought everyone always complained about Masterplan when they're picking on Wheels?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    my understanding is that mnmags was redone like he was because he fed another color that had an ability that directly fed his. so they split his up to fuel both of his colors - reduced blue and added red. I don't think gsbw is in need of nerfing because 1) there is no green-to-purple battery in the game and 2) it is one full match more expensive than mags's was. if they nerf her purple they had better reduce her green costs as well, otherwise they just trash her usefulness. I use her in pve with witch and falcon but might not if they nerf her purple.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

so why did they drive a knife through magneto if GSBW is a "balanced" version? Didn't he just need an AP increase according to this logic?

and if GSBW isn't infinite, it's pretty close - BOP is 80% GSBW + Prof X

GSBW isn't infinite at all. Doesn't feed itself. It's merely a powerful synergy that takes advantage of Prof X's blue. But once it blows, you have to start the cycle over from scratch. And ... it's terrible on defense ... as you have noticed? Further, using the pink for for GSBW undermines Blind Spot. It can be ridiculously fast ... but can also fall flat on its face.

If a player can rack up a score using this combo and shield, it's a bonus for everyone that qs them, since it's such an easy win for everyone else.

And BoP 80% GSBW / Prof X ? C'mon, we're in the same slice. 20-30% maybe. And NOWHERE near as common as Juggs has been ion BoP in the past.
    good explanation...I still don't like 1 character gets an ability another was crucified for.

What happens when:
    TxMoose wrote:
    green-to-purple battery
    is introduced?