Folks be grindin'

Options
jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I can barely crack the top 100.

peeps must want that ant-man...

based on the taste you get with growth industry, he seems like a solid character.

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jredd wrote:
    I can barely crack the top 100.

peeps must want that ant-man...

based on the taste you get with growth industry, he seems like a solid character.

The folks be OVER-grinding. Don't worry. Hang in there. Play through the clears. Looooong PVEs reward consistency. The math is inescapable; stick to the 8hr clears, and you'll fly by the overachievers when you grind it down.

what are these '8 hour clears' exactly?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's what makes pve being competitive such a pain.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    It's what makes pve being competitive such a pain.

This.

Every time you beat a PvE node, it takes 8 hours to refresh back to full points. To optimally compete for the top spots, you must clear every node every 8 hours, then grind down every node at the end of each sub. It involves scheduling your life around 8 hour refreshes to get the best PvE rewards, and kinda sucks.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A viable tavtic if ypu aren't fussed about progression is join a shard near the end time and hope for a new bracket. This has risks though as you may join a nearly full bracket.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome to the world without community scaling. Less people dropping out due to scaling means having to grind a lot more to place well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Welcome to the world without community scaling. Less people dropping out due to scaling means having to grind a lot more to place well.

Someone please let me know if this is still inappropriate, but it's positive/friendly, sooo...

Hey Der_Lex, did you late-start the last PvE?

During my climb in the last couple hours, at around 100th overall I'm pretty sure you were 3-4 places above me? Same name anyway... icon_e_biggrin.gif

If it was you, did you get your card(s)?

DBC
  • Der_Lex
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:

Someone please let me know if this is still inappropriate, but it's positive/friendly, sooo...

During my climb in the last couple hours, at around 100th overall I'm pretty sure you were 3-4 places above me? Same name anyway... icon_e_biggrin.gif

DBC

Yeah, I had some time to kill, so I decided to do a late join to see how far I'd get, see if I could get some HP and ISO out of it. Can't remember if I ended up top 50 or top 100, probably the latter.

Aiming at top 20 for Ant-Man, though. I usually go for top 10, but I won't be able to play optimally or grind much this weekend, so I'm adjusting my expectations a bit. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

DBC

Yeah, I had some time to kill, so I decided to do a late join to see how far I'd get, see if I could get some HP and ISO out of it. Can't remember if I ended up top 50 or top 100, probably the latter.

Aiming at top 20 for Ant-Man, though. I usually go for top 10, but I won't be able to play optimally or grind much this weekend, so I'm adjusting my expectations a bit. icon_e_smile.gif

Cool!

Same for me. Boredom pushed me to take a look with just over 3 hours remaining.

I ended up at about 80th with just under an hour and let it ride for the most part, and wound up T100, which was more than I wanted (T150 for the card would have been plenty).

Pretty funny seeing a familiar name in there! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

DBC
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    top 20 is best i can hope for, keep getting into T10, but get booted in the last 30 minutes down to the teens.. have to figure out what the trick is.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've made one clear in each subnode and barely more than 24k points. I'm in 34th. It's all in who you are up against.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:

Yeah it's been awful. I'm putting in the effort needed to normal top 5 a 4* pve and yet I finished the first sub in 20th after nearly optimum play and a 3 hour 15 minute grind down at the end.

I could keep pushing that hard for top 20 but it's so not worth it. I'll 'settle' for top 100 even though that still means doing like 7 clears per sub by the sounds of it.
  • Whub Whubz
    Whub Whubz Posts: 62
    Options
    Seriously what is all the hype about?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This competitive Pve has to stop.
    It's getting too freaking ridiculous looking at how much people are grinding this out.
    And if the scaling is effecting me in high 2star low 3 star land these ninjas must be a nightmare for the late 3 stars and 4 stars but people are still deadset on grinding out 20K+ each of these subs. and its' been less then 12 hours since it was released.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:

While that is true, I feel like community scaling is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.

It's not like we didn't have crazy grinding/placement wars going on for new 4* releases in PvE before community scaling was turned off. We were just as tied to the 8-hour refresh clock then as we are now, as if you waited community scaling would pump your nodes up.

The ultimate solution? Stop this silly "pvp in pve clothing" and move all the rewards to progression. Set the prog rewards to how much the devs want us to play (during one of the videos, I remember them saying they didn't want us to play all the time). Keep minor rewards for placement, and tweak the personal scaling so we won't have hordes of intentionally underleveled rosters.

Growth Industry was a massive first step, I love it. If the rest of PvE turns into true PvE, the game will be better for it.
  • Der_Lex
    Options
    jackswift wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

While that is true, I feel like community scaling is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.

It's not like we didn't have crazy grinding/placement wars going on for new 4* releases in PvE before community scaling was turned off. We were just as tied to the 8-hour refresh clock then as we are now, as if you waited community scaling would pump your nodes up.

The ultimate solution? Stop this silly "pvp in pve clothing" and move all the rewards to progression. Set the prog rewards to how much the devs want us to play (during one of the videos, I remember them saying they didn't want us to play all the time). Keep minor rewards for placement, and tweak the personal scaling so we won't have hordes of intentionally underleveled rosters.

Growth Industry was a massive first step, I love it. If the rest of PvE turns into true PvE, the game will be better for it.

I don't think anybody is going to argue with you on this one. Gauntlet/Growth Indrustry is what PvE should be. I'd count Ultron too if it was a lot less grindy.

As far as getting into the right bracket is concerned, if you've done well in PvE in the past (especially with a higher level roster), starting late is not advisable, because later on in a PvE event there will be multiple open brackets and the game will always put you into the grindiest open bracket of the bunch.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:

And I would gladly take this over community scaling any day. Thank you devs for getting rid of that catastrophe.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jackswift wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

Potential solution would be to introduce classes. Something like lightweight, heavyweight etc. Obviously packaged in some sort of Marvel flavor that would help balance everything out.

Anyway you do see some fully covered under leveled rosters in Pve (actually seen people with rosters of fully covered level 80s) but just as often see high level rosters in the t10 as well.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jackswift wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

I don't think anybody is going to argue with you on this one. Gauntlet/Growth Indrustry is what PvE should be.
    Who's going to argue against free covers? But proposing that this should be the new template for PvE is just silly. The D3 business model isn't to give away all of the covers for free. For whatever reason, they've decided that only 1% of players should get all 3 covers in PvE. Unless they decide to change that, PvE is always going to be painful, whether it be rankings that separate the top 1%, or impossibly difficult nodes that only 1% can pass. You thought the Ultron gauntlet node was hard? Most people who tried, cleared it. So just imagine what a node would look like that was set in such a way that 99% of people would never be able to clear it. Doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

Your problem isn't that PvE is competitive and grindy. Your problem is that they only want to give 3 covers to 1% of us.
  • Whub Whubz
    Whub Whubz Posts: 62
    Options
    Well i guess they got a good test of no community scaling at its finest. This event is nuts but has shown me some light, going to definitely not give 2 tinykitties about PvE scaling and go for 270 land. You kids can go insane for a couple extra covers while i rack in 1300+ in PvP cya PvE nice knowing ya.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mu slice is a mess, i am well over final progression already, barely hanging on to t20..