Just prompted in-game to take a MPQ Survey

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Surprised no one mentioned this yet...

Auto-play? With the current health situation (ie., no after-match insta-heal)?

Uhm, yeah, that's going to be a big ol' NO.

As it is, I'm trying to get out of matches with the least possible health loss, and make some of my play choices solely based on doing just that.

Trusting auto-play to conserve my health? Oh yeah, that's gonna work just fine.

Remember those 5 extra health packs you just got? Say bye-bye...

DBC

Seems to me it would be a trade off between the lack of health conservation vs speed. But since speed trumps just about everything at the high end, there would be almost no way to implement this that is actually useful where it doesnt break the game.

So why bother? Again, fix something else that IS broken.

I'm actually changing my opinion because of this.

First, yeah, fixing broken stuff is pretty sweet. icon_e_wink.gif

That said...

As I think more about it, I think you're actually right. Auto-playing, say, my seed-3rd tier matches, my lower level PvE nodes... I could see this working.

Of course, then we come up against the issues around scaling, AI, etc.

Would it be an instantaneous "You win!" or "You lose!" scenario? I can see the conspiracy threads now...

Further and more specifically, would D3/Demiurge program it so a level 120 player fighting, say, level 120-170 or so enemies would be a pretty automatic win? If yes, cool then. If no, whole new can o' worms time... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC

Honestly, i would love to watch an autoplay match, get some insight into how the AI uses the teams, so we can better prepare defensively in PVP.
  • So lets go 1 by 1 -

of course I found a guild to play Ultron event with, but maybe this survey isn't looking for me as a targetted demographic.

Maybe it's talking to nubs and casuals who just play.

Would I use a quick match feature? sure, as long as the CPU doesn't screw me over, sounds like a good idea and many games(even world of warcraft) let you auto-progress even as you're not playing.

I've only upgraded characters w/ HP when I get 1000 hp tacos. Special rule.

I'm pretty ambivalent about purchasing powers, but without this option, I would like to see better direction in terms of what covers are offered and how to earn them.

I'd recommend MPQ. It's pretty fun at a base level
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:

I'm pretty ambivalent about purchasing powers, but without this option, I would like to see better direction in terms of what covers are offered and how to earn them.

DDQ gives you every cover for every 3* every rotation. Can't really ask for much more than that.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

DDQ gives you every cover for every 3* every rotation. Can't really ask for much more than that.
    well they still need to implement 4* progression...as they said they would recently, is what I mean
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    not sure if I like it for pvp, but I'd use the heck out of it for pve clears. save the time on the trivial/easy nodes, even if I lose a team or 2, I start the auto play matches with my f, g and h teams (have a lot of characters at 104, plus my 94s). DDQ would become just manual playing the enchilada node - all the rest could be autoplayed. it would save a ton of time. pvp would be tricky though since many of the matchups are of equivalent teams and while I can maybe get 2-3 matches before health packing or switching teams up, I bet the AI takes a ton more damage to my characters.

I think overall it would make the game feel less grindy because to excel now, you have to play a ton every day (if you include pve, which I will until my *** develop more).

I was going to give the auto-play option a 1 or 2, until I thought about this. I'd run DDQ on auto daily.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    The last time they ran a survey, it was basically, "Are you here because it's Marvel, or because it's Puzzle Quest?" and I was irritated by how un-nuanced the answers were. I mean, I've played this game more than any other Puzzle Quest iteration because it's Marvel; there are Marvel games I'm not playing because I don't like the genre. So. . . both? Why no answer for both?

This one was even worse. Have I bought covers with HP? Yes! And I don't regret it. But will I ever do it again? No! Never! Do I want the option removed for everyone else? Wait a minute, let me think. Why? So the game can make less money, because that doesn't sound right. Or is it so whales can buy more cover packs and be driven insane more swiftly?

An auto play feature? Well, you can tell from this thread that not everyone has the same vision for what that would even be. Please elaborate so I can answer the question you're actually asking!
  • I would auto play the hell out of low end PvE nodes using either my 2* roster or Patch/Daken/Blade. They are basically impossible to lose anyway, but they do take time. If I can press a button 5 times and clear that node to 1, I'ma do it.
  • I gave the game a 7 for recommending to friend* and the survey asked me why. I thought about it for a bit, and I answered, "because it takes too long". PvE = 30 minute per refresh x 3 + final grind 3 hours = 4.5 hours per day. If I recommend it to someone, I would feel guilty about them losing 4.5 hours of their day, every day. Oh and there's DDQ and PvP to add on top of that so it's more like 5 hours every day.

In the feedback I recommended the fix of "adding the options to speed up game animations by 2x to 4x". This could include tiles being swapped, clearing, dropping, scores being counted, rewards flashing. 4x is pretty fast, and you might miss some stuff that's happening, but it would remove the annoyance of Falcon animation, or some goon countdowns resolving and then doing nothing for 5 seconds. If the speed-up option is flexible, you could tweak it until you find a speed that you like best. With the animations sped up, you could potentially shave off 50% of your play time.

It might affect the balance of the game a bit, for example someone who is skillful and fast will be able to win more fights per shield hop compared to someone slower. If in PvE, you are neck to neck in score as someone else, being able to play fast will net you slightly more advantage. Since it affects balance, I wouldn't say that this is a risk-free feature, but I would definitely enjoy the game a lot more if it were faster and if I could "play" the same amount in a shorter time.
  • im assume that auto-play(instant?) may: use energy, win/losing didnt affect heroes health, winning didnt switch afk/defending team, and choosing hero change chance to winning/losing(using these againts that team has 87% to win, etc etc)
    i had no idea what im talking about lol, just my opinion
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    d0nk3y wrote:
    The only way I could see the auto-play feature being usable would be on the trivial goon nodes at the start of each PvE sub-event or the bots at the start of the PvPs. Aside from that, trusting the fate of your characters to auto-play is pants-on-head level crazy... unless the AI gives great cascades to BOTH sides.

I would absolutely use an auto-play feature. I fall behind in PvE events because I can't always play at work. If I could pull my phone out and have it play for me - huge success.

I don't care about losing health packs because they will regenerate by the time I get home to play anyway.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    d0nk3y wrote:
    The only way I could see the auto-play feature being usable would be on the trivial goon nodes at the start of each PvE sub-event or the bots at the start of the PvPs. Aside from that, trusting the fate of your characters to auto-play is pants-on-head level crazy... unless the AI gives great cascades to BOTH sides.

I would absolutely use an auto-play feature. I fall behind in PvE events because I can't always play at work. If I could pull my phone out and have it play for me - huge success.

I don't care about losing health packs because they will regenerate by the time I get home to play anyway.

Yes, this. Just set a 300 point limit in pvp, so you can't auto play anymore once you're above that and we're good.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    So lets go 1 by 1 -

of course I found a guild to play Ultron event with, but maybe this survey isn't looking for me as a targetted demographic.

Maybe it's talking to nubs...

I thought you were a nub?
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Davyx wrote:
    I gave the game a 7 for recommending to friend* and the survey asked me why. I thought about it for a bit, and I answered, "because it takes too long". PvE = 30 minute per refresh x 3 + final grind 3 hours = 4.5 hours per day. If I recommend it to someone, I would feel guilty about them losing 4.5 hours of their day, every day. Oh and there's DDQ and PvP to add on top of that so it's more like 5 hours every day.

I'd rate the game itself higher, but on the topic of recommending it to a friend I quite drastically rated it no higher than a 2.

The game mechanics and overall presentation firmly cement the title as a casual game. Its overall shallowness and low degree of engagement would leave most serious gamers rather unfullfilled and creates a very stark contrast with the actual daily playtime required to get anywhere with the game, which quite frankly outright exceeds the time requirements of full-blown and deep MMORPG, MOBA or team-based FPS games.

That's a very hard sell to recommend. You're looking at the very, very limited population slice that intersects die-hard Marvel fans with competitive online gamers; with those gamers that have a thing for match-3 games in general and Puzzle Quest skill-use mechanics in particular; and with those that literally have nothing else to spend time on.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Yep, I got it too. I don't know what they're after. To me, it seemed some of the selections may miss the real problem. Did I have an alliance for Ultron? Sure. Were we ankle to finish? Not even close. Did people who started the event with me slowly give up? Yep.

Interesting, you got different questions than I did. I wasn't asked those questions.

These weren't on my survey. They were my points about the answers listed missing the heart of the problems. Finding a team for Ultron was easy. The problem was we that quit playing when finding it was an impossible task for us.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    With an autopsy feature, presumably, you would be choosing the opponent, which should increase the odds of victory since you won't use it against a deadly 395s pve node.

Wouldn't you be totally guaranteed a win with an autopsy feature, since your opponent would have to be dead already? (Damn you, autocorrect!)

Got the full set of questions here too. Answered "yes" for the AvU team question, but gave them feedback at the end about how picking a team of randoms to play with doesn't result in a good event experience, since we had 9 actives, and 11 deadweights, so didn't finish Round 6 in the second AvU event. Also gave them 7 for MPQ, as the positive is that the gameplay is deep and fun, but the time requirement (particularly the fixed times during the day with node refreshes) make it hard to recommend to a casual player.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Really interesting how autoplay just doesn't seem that good in MPQ but is very useful in Marvel Future Fight because your character's health restores at the end of every fight in MFF (of course they have an energy system instead).

I really wonder what MPQ would be like if it was a full energy system and not health pack "trying to be energy" system. In the past I would argue the health pack system could be better if you manage your play better, but now it's just so hard to come out of a fight and have enough health for no health pack use, maybe energy system would be better. (It's also hard to compare the more single player focus of MFF with the more competitive nature of MPQ)
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Why did you rate a 5?"

"Feels stagnant. Too many characters not enough new content. If this was any IP other than Marvel I would've stopped playing."
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    "Why did you rate a 5?"

"Feels stagnant. Too many characters not enough new content. If this was any IP other than Marvel I would've stopped playing."

I rated it higher than that, but yeah - this comment is dead on. I wouldn't be nearly as invested if this game was populated by Generic Fantasy Archetype X battling Repeatedly Stompable Mutated Evil Enemy 1 for the glory of Disappointed Monarch SpiffyBritches.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    So lets go 1 by 1 -

Maybe it's talking to nubs...

I thought you were a nub?
    how rude
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Just swinging back into the thread with a quick observation. At work I occasionally have to design surveys not too different from this, and did so pretty recently. The question about the Ultron event isn't there because they want to know how many people played the Ultron event. They already know that number with greater accuracy than any survey could give them.

It's there to help them sort the results between people who play casually and people who are actively engaged with the game. Do people who log in and play a few matches want an autoplay feature, vs those who play daily and competitively etc.