Just prompted in-game to take a MPQ Survey

Comments

• simonsez wrote:
    Also remember that the AI we face is INTENTIONALLY DUMBED DOWN. If quickplay is actually implemented, there's absolutely nothing that would stop them from taking the throttle off the AI when it's making moves on YOUR behalf.

So we are working under the assumption that they will crank the AI to 100% for our moves and keep it at dummy level for the opponents moves? That sounds perfectly reasonable and just like something D3 would do.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Autoplay would almost be mandatory for hops if it was implemented. People who did not use it would be spammed by people who did, losing incredible amounts of points in a very short amount of time. The amount of griefing that could occur is troubling.

Edit: Assuming autoplay matches are near instant.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    papa07 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    d0nk3y wrote:
    Aside from that, trusting the fate of your characters to auto-play is pants-on-head level crazy...
    Not necessarily. Let's say you're hopping. If you play manually, let's say there's 95% chance you'll win your matches, but a 20% chance of getting sniped. If you autoplay, maybe there's only a 90% chance of winning your matches, but a 0% chance of getting sniped.

Depending upon how often you typically get sniped, and how often people would win via autoplay, it's possible you'd be better off in the long run using the autoplay.

I think your math is a little off. Unless you are hopping on seed teams (or equivalent), the odds of winning autoplay are likely much closer to 50/50.

Not necessarily. With PvP, a different human is choosing the matchups. So defensive wins are rare, but the deck is stacked against the ai.

With an autopsy feature, presumably, you would be choosing the opponent, which should increase the odds of victory since you won't use it against a deadly 395s pve node.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure if I like it for pvp, but I'd use the heck out of it for pve clears. save the time on the trivial/easy nodes, even if I lose a team or 2, I start the auto play matches with my f, g and h teams (have a lot of characters at 104, plus my 94s). DDQ would become just manual playing the enchilada node - all the rest could be autoplayed. it would save a ton of time. pvp would be tricky though since many of the matchups are of equivalent teams and while I can maybe get 2-3 matches before health packing or switching teams up, I bet the AI takes a ton more damage to my characters.

I think overall it would make the game feel less grindy because to excel now, you have to play a ton every day (if you include pve, which I will until my *** develop more).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    I think your math is a little off. Unless you are hopping on seed teams (or equivalent), the odds of winning autoplay are likely much closer to 50/50.
    That wasn't math, it was a hypothetical assumption. And your assumption of 50/50 is way off too, considering that you go first, you can boost, and you can choose favorable matchups.

Also remember that the AI we face is INTENTIONALLY DUMBED DOWN. If quickplay is actually implemented, there's absolutely nothing that would stop them from taking the throttle off the AI when it's making moves on YOUR behalf.
    With quick play this would be the question. Can you use boosts and will our AI be smarter than the regular AI. I would be very cautious with quick play and test it out on seed teams and low level goon PVE. This would be great for LR as you could get 250 points in about 5 min with true healers. I think after seed teams and low level goons I would be concerned about this. I can't see our AI placing Hood in front to take him out first, or Loki, or IF. Is means when shield hopping the AI would take people out in order. I can see a quick play at higher levels mean you take more damage than you should, but hey we are getting 10 health packs now.

For the buying covers they should lower the price so more people can buy them instead of eliminating the option. If the Devs are looking at people who level 4* right away as the problem in PVP that is. To the issue. If players want to buy the character that is fine. They should just make it more reasonable so more people can get the character instead of making it harder for the people who are paying for it.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Is it just me? Why in the heck would they even consider adding that "feature" before fixing any of the NUMEROUS problems with the game? I mean, just pick one, any one, and people would be happier than if autoplay gets added.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    I'd bet auto play will have a hp cost tied to it
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    A couple of these questions were problematic: First, they asked if I'd ever bought a cover like FOR INSTANCE (wink wink) that Black Panther cover everyone wants but nobody's been able to get for a long time? Did ya buy that one?

YES I FREAKING DID. Thanks for asking.

And then they asked if I'd be in favor of getting rid of the "buy cover for 1250 HP" option. But in favor of what? "Do you want to cripple your ability to develop your characters?" Or are they offering a better system?

So I had to say, "No, leave it," because it was the only answer that had truth in it. Why would I want that ability to go away?

As for Auto-Play, it's a great idea. I don't want to fight too_many_pants. I think my fully-leveled Cage-Daken team can deal with him.
  • I'm guessing auto-play is basic AI the same as the computer, eg match line-5's, prefer line-4 matches over non-line 5's, etc.
    Auto-play would have to be dumb (comparatively), otherwise what would be the benefit in playing without it? It doesn't make sense for them to offer a smart AI; I don't know why people are assuming this.
  • Surprised no one mentioned this yet...

Auto-play? With the current health situation (ie., no after-match insta-heal)?

Uhm, yeah, that's going to be a big ol' NO.

As it is, I'm trying to get out of matches with the least possible health loss, and make some of my play choices solely based on doing just that.

Trusting auto-play to conserve my health? Oh yeah, that's gonna work just fine.

Remember those 5 extra health packs you just got? Say bye-bye...

DBC
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Surprised no one mentioned this yet...

As it is, I'm trying to get out of matches with the least possible health loss, and make some of my play choices solely based on doing just that.

DBC

Seems to me it would be a trade off between the lack of health conservation vs speed. But since speed trumps just about everything at the high end, there would be almost no way to implement this that is actually useful where it doesnt break the game.

So why bother? Again, fix something else that IS broken.
  • Auto play would be awesome if it's anything like the play sim/skip feature in Madden.

There's so many fights I don't do in PVE anymore because I just look at them with boredom so auto play would be clutch.

I can however envision this costing HP and maybe even more HP for a better win % from your teams AI.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I think auto-play would be useful for clearing those Trivial and maybe Easy PvE nodes, while you only need to play Medium or harder nodes. Depending on how the feature is implemented, it could save a lot of time, and even if it doesn't, it still saves you from having to go through dull, unchallenging PvE grinds.

I can't imagine using it on PvP though, since the risk of losing would probably be much greater, not to mention that you lose points on loss, unlike on pve.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    djsquillz wrote:
    d0nk3y wrote:
    It'd be nice if they had to earn their power like the rest of us plebs.

Please remember that you have to earn those 1st 3 covers to be able to whale out a new character. Winning all 3 covers from a PVE event certainly counts as "earning" something in my book.

What a player does after that is their business. If someone wants to gain that advantage by spending $ to max out their characters, i think that they should have that right.

I fully support someone who grinds their face off to place high enough to get all three covers from the event - by no means do I mean to disparage their effort. If a player buys three 42-packs for the event and gets the same three covers, do they also *earn* those covers? From a game perspective, there's no way to differentiate between them; one gains their covers through cunning, the other through cash.

It may be a matter of semantics or poor word choice, but I strongly disagree with the use of the word "right" in this situation. As players, we have privileges, abilities or mechanics we can exploit - we do not have rights. Rights are for important things in the real world. In the world of MPQ, we have only what the developers grant us.

If the player's choice to purchase the rest of the covers for a given character and purchase the ISO required to max out that character affected them and only them, I'd agree with you on your final point. Problem is, we're all grouped together in a global competition, so anyone who throws cash at it affects all of us. If players were grouped into noob/vet/whale and only had to fight eachother, I'd be less concerned about the pay-to-win mechanic of buying covers.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Stony wrote:
    The survey confused me. If everything they do is a money grab(according to many on the forum), why remove what might be one of their biggest moneymakers?

There are plenty of people who buy covers with HP or simply whale out to get them. The proof is clear every time we see that characters first pvp (regardless of it it's a weak 3* like Vision or a strong 4* like Hulkbuster). Inevitably you'll be matched up against plenty of maxed level ones.

This change would replace that guaranteed satisfaction revenue stream with the slot machines that are token packs. Whales would have to decide to either spend more on tokens or wait it out and climb the slow way.

I don't have the stats or market research to know how many would continue to whale out but it's entirely possible this change would lead to more revenue for D3. Just something to think about.

I voted to keep that part of the game for what it's worth.

Regarding Auto-Play
    This seems great for menial tasks like certain DDQ nodes, seed teams and several pve nodes. It's an amazing time saver for the daily grind and leaves the important matches to the players.

You need to tread lightly with this idea though. If people are using this to shield hop in pvp's then it's completely killed the spirit of competition. Speed is king after all and it's not satisfying for either party to win or lose thanks to the dice rolls of a simulated pvp match hop. I'd go as far as banning the feature from PvP and Shield Sim entirely. Possibly even LR's (though I'd love it for the seeds).

Also ban it from prologue for ISO exploit farming reasons.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    d0nk3y wrote:
    The only way I could see the auto-play feature being usable would be on the trivial goon nodes at the start of each PvE sub-event or the bots at the start of the PvPs. Aside from that, trusting the fate of your characters to auto-play is pants-on-head level crazy... unless the AI gives great cascades to BOTH sides.

My thinking too; I said "daily", as I'd use it for all the DDQ matches up to the finale, while I browsed the internet. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Sherlock1
    Sherlock1 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    d0nk3y wrote:
    If the player's choice to purchase the rest of the covers for a given character and purchase the ISO required to max out that character affected them and only them, I'd agree with you on your final point. Problem is, we're all grouped together in a global competition, so anyone who throws cash at it affects all of us. If players were grouped into noob/vet/whale and only had to fight eachother, I'd be less concerned about the pay-to-win mechanic of buying covers.

I know that it s the same players who help the game living this long by spending money in these covers or packs: to those who pay, more advantages, it seems logical. Conclusion, it s logical but "unfair" for the competitors who don t or can t:-)

I personally would agree on removing it, because i don t put money into it so it would make it fair: but i recognize i serve my own interest by saying that. icon_lol.gif
    Nevertheless, if it s still possible to buy packs and then get the covers, i wonder where would be the interest of preventing players from buying direct upgrades (except for Demiurge who may possibly have more cash entering).
    Moreover, even if i don t put money in this game, i still buy once from time to time (2 covers in 332 days), saving my HP for a nice gift (christmas time!!!)

Damn, what a dilemma! icon_question.gificon_question.gificon_question.gif
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I wanted to write something out to clarify why I would rate it what I said but the form wouldn't let me do it on my phone. For a mobile phone game, I couldn't use my phone to give feedback. Huh.

Nearly notched it down a peg after that but I'm still happy with the Q and A stuff.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    djsquillz wrote:
    Please remember that you have to earn those 1st 3 covers to be able to whale out a new character. Winning all 3 covers from a PVE event certainly counts as "earning" something in my book.

What a player does after that is their business. If someone wants to gain that advantage by spending $ to max out their characters, i think that they should have that right.

marc

Ever since the character to be released is being added to the event token, the Super Whales don't even have to earn those first 3. I saw plenty of Professor X & Kingpin fully covered and levelled in PvP before their respective release events finished.

Yes, that would cost thousands of dollars.
    No, that doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money.
    I don't know, can you repeat the question.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Surprised no one mentioned this yet...

DBC

Seems to me it would be a trade off between the lack of health conservation vs speed. But since speed trumps just about everything at the high end, there would be almost no way to implement this that is actually useful where it doesnt break the game.

So why bother? Again, fix something else that IS broken.

I'm actually changing my opinion because of this.

First, yeah, fixing broken stuff is pretty sweet. icon_e_wink.gif

That said...

As I think more about it, I think you're actually right. Auto-playing, say, my seed-3rd tier matches, my lower level PvE nodes... I could see this working.

Of course, then we come up against the issues around scaling, AI, etc.

Would it be an instantaneous "You win!" or "You lose!" scenario? I can see the conspiracy threads now...

Further and more specifically, would D3/Demiurge program it so a level 120 player fighting, say, level 120-170 or so enemies would be a pretty automatic win? If yes, cool then. If no, whole new can o' worms time... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC