Dauthi's 3* Guide - Who to level and how to build 'em! 03/09

Comments

• VAHarleygirl
    VAHarleygirl Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Im surprised that Grey Suit is not on the List. Is this because of the amount of green you have to get for sniper rifle?
    I team her up with Scralet Witch and watch the magic. Im able to get it very quickly. I can take a team out very fast. Even high LvL teams. Just wondering if you gave this a consideration. icon_mrgreen.gif

Agreed. Those two gals are quite effective. I like pairing (for now) w Steve Rogers, so the only thing missing is black.
  • weave45
    weave45 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Don't know if you are tired of hearing thanks, but here is another. Two questions. Is this list built with pve or pvp in mind and does any one character move up or down depending on what you play?
  • So... We are still missing Quicksilver, GSBW and Bullseye. Are there plans to add them any time soon? I've got spare covers for Quicksilver and was wondering whats his ideal built? 553 or 535 or 544 ??
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im surprised that Grey Suit is not on the List. Is this because of the amount of green you have to get for sniper rifle?
    I team her up with Scralet Witch and watch the magic. Im able to get it very quickly. I can take a team out very fast. Even high LvL teams. Just wondering if you gave this a consideration. icon_mrgreen.gif

Agreed. Those two gals are quite effective. I like pairing (for now) w Steve Rogers, so the only thing missing is black.
    actually for goon nodes, I use them with falcon. falcon gives them just enough time early to get rolling and once rolling, it just starts chaining together and those 3 can take down any goon team, no matter what level they are. my 140witch/140gsbw/120falcon can take down level 3XX whatever goons no problem. same with witch/mnmags/cap, but that can take a little too long early and a cd might go off. falcon helps with that unless board is just completely dry of a blue match.
  • GSBW is on here between Sentry and Doc Oc. Quicksilver, Bullseye, and Vision are missing.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler

SW to GSBW is very effective in PVP...there are two problems though.

1) They aren't scary on defense, making you a target, because...
    2) The AI is not very good at using GSBW's purple ability to make a green chain.

Note: This is actually a good thing..do you want to face the AI who can smartly knock you off with GSBW's purple to green?
  • Incisive and well done list. For me I weigh the fully loaded characters, instead of solo, as those in a team of 3. For example although separately, are OK, my wolverine patch, Loki, and 3* magneto serve as an unusually powerful team.

Focusing on singular characters which I said I would not do, though, your hulk is low. I have a 166 hulk, 5-3-5. As a defensive player with his black power, he can be absolutely debilitating - especially given his high health. For example, in a wolverine patch match, with a berzerker rage, or any other high powered attack, hulk's defensive power can simply stop the match.

I have a 166 IF. 5-3-5. Maybe he'd be better 3-5-5, but nothing about him makes him seem untouchable, beyond maxing out his black power. Regarding my comments about teams, he definitely pairs well with Luke Cage and Cyclops ( both of whom I have at 166). With IF's exquisite technique, his ability to generate black tiles, Cyclops' black power given red tiles from his yellow power, and Cage shutting down the board with his red power, you have a really tough team. IF provides damages every turn, Cage shuts damage from the opposition down, and cyclops drops the hammer with red and black.

My Thor is 5-5-3 but I agree, he is one of the best. Recall he used to be a sparkling 3 star. Like 3* Steve Rogers was. Mine is 3-5-5 and I would rate him top tier.

My Magneto 3* is 166, 5-3-5, and even at that, after his nerf, he's very powerful. My patch is 5-3-5 and very powerful. He's best paired with my 166 Loki's black power though, underscoring the idea that ratings aren't singular.

My hood is 4-5-4, my Loki is 3-5-5. They can be good, but are best used against teams featuring the hood and loki.

My blade is 5-4-4. He's plenty useful, with a team that doesn't need red. His black is nasty. At my build he isn't a top tier guy. He's good, but not top tier.

Mohawk storm may not be great, but she serves me well in PVE, as does gamora and psylocke.
  • Theovo
    Theovo Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    So... We are still missing Quicksilver, GSBW and Bullseye. Are there plans to add them any time soon? I've got spare covers for Quicksilver and was wondering whats his ideal built? 553 or 535 or 544 ??

Personally I like 5-3-5 for Quicksilver. Damage for greenflag.png and blackflag.png both jump quite a bit from 3 to 5. blueflag.png is just not reliable enough to justify dumping any more than 3 into it.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Jaw3165 wrote:
    GSBW is on here between Sentry and Doc Oc. Quicksilver, Bullseye, and Vision are missing.

Going to try to add them today. I like to wait until they are buffed because it accentuates their abilities, especially for the guys not on the top.
    weave45 wrote:
    Don't know if you are tired of hearing thanks, but here is another. Two questions. Is this list built with pve or pvp in mind and does any one character move up or down depending on what you play?

It's mostly with PVP in mind, since strong PVP characters will still wreck in PVE, but not always vice versa. I tried to put forth the best characters generally, and note if they are better in PVE.

Yes, certain characters go up or down depending on combos. GSBW for example can create the Professor X/GSBW/Scarlet Witch combo which can beat any team with ease (it's just terrible on defense in pvp). We would need a whole different guide for great team pairings. I might make a compendium for that, since I always make some great teams out of random buffed characters, then forget them later.

EDIT

Bullseye, Quicksilver and Vision added in mid-tier
  • AOE of Beast is wrongly written as 398.
    It should be 676, because the tile damage affects all enemies. Please check.
  • Dauthi
    mohit7292 wrote:
    AOE of Beast is wrongly written as 398.
    It should be 676, because the tile damage affects all enemies. Please check.

100% correct, thanks! I should have realized this before I wrote it, his AOE always feels very strong for how much you pay, certainly not as low as what I had. If only you had seen it before the AOE chart, now I have to shift it around! NOOOOO!
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Hi, I like your guide, it's a very informative look at each 3 star characters strengths and weaknesses. I realize it's mostly for comparing individuals damage output, but I think one thing you overlooked for Daredevil was how his red works these days; it has some of the best potential output when you match it yourself! Especially if there's a lot of red tiles out. He has great synergy with Cyclops.

Anyways, I think this guide will help me decide how I'm going to finish levelling my 3 stars as I try and transition up. (Most of mine are either 140-150 or 130 right now. Need to get my Deadpool and Scarlet Witch covers still) icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Dauthi
    Stick wrote:
    Hi, I like your guide, it's a very informative look at each 3 star characters strengths and weaknesses. I realize it's mostly for comparing individuals damage output, but I think one thing you overlooked for Daredevil was how his red works these days; it has some of the best potential output when you match it yourself! Especially if there's a lot of red tiles out. He has great synergy with Cyclops.

Anyways, I think this guide will help me decide how I'm going to finish levelling my 3 stars as I try and transition up. (Most of mine are either 140-150 or 130 right now. Need to get my Deadpool and Scarlet Witch covers still) icon_e_biggrin.gif

I agree that he synergizes with anyone creating reds because his downfall is lodging his red into a corner (etc) and becoming untouched thus becoming an entire waste of AP. If things go well, it can become the best skill in the game, if things go bad it is the worst. In this regard, he is still a great risk/reward character for those who like to take a gamble.
  • DreadPirateW
    DreadPirateW Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    This is a fantastic guide and I use it almost daily! I play more PVE, but it's still a great summary to consult for build tips. Thanks for creating it!

I've been playing for a long time but only now getting serious enough to create an account here and look for a better alliance. This is my first post, because this thread has been the most useful. Fantastic work, Dauthi!
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    There isn't a lot here I agree with apart from your top 2.

This appears to be a PvP listing, as PvE capability is completely ignored when it comes to actually rating a character. Falcon is a PvE star, and you even call GSBW 'amazing' in PvE and then dump her in the bottom tiers.

It would also help if you explain your criteria, because a lot of it makes no sense without that understanding. Take Hulk as an example, he's a brilliant mana battery and as you mentioned Hulk Bombing can win just about any fight paired with Patch at the cost of health packs. But you rate him in the lowest tier. That makes sense if you are rating the characters on a standalone basis, because winning battles with only Hulk is painful.

But then Loki gets a high rating, and is even more painful to win battles alone with. He needs a partner in crime to be of any use but then he can be exceptional.

It's hard to say which one should be adjusted without knowing the criteria.

I also don't get how you trade off attack and defense. For example in the top tier the only character I am likely to skip is She-Hulk. All the rest are easy kills. Characters I skip would be Hood, Hulk and She Hulk. For the rest I rely on Hood's AP steal to slow them down so I can beat them to the punch.

I'll use a team like Patch/Loki/Daken or Patch/Loki/Cage to climb as it uses next to no Health Packs unless a nasty cascade happens and then jump to a team of Cyclops/IF/Hood to beat harder opponents and present a defense most 3 star teams would skip. I do the same for non-goon nodes in PvE. For basic goon nodes I will run something like Falcon/Daken/Iron Fist so I can focus on managing countdown tiles without worrying about AP as my passive kill them. For survival nodes I will run Falcon/Punisher/Spidey as it generally sets up a board where I take 1 damage per round while dealing out massive amounts from strike and attack tiles buffed by falcon yellow. It has stun, heal, AoE and massive damage from punisher red to compliment the board killing most opponents.

I said all that because anyone not mentioned in that paragraph couldn't be in my top tier because someone is doing what they do better. For example there are none of those combinations where I would consider using Blade in place of any of the listed characters if they are both unbuffed. If you were to limit me to only having six characters it would be Cyclops/IF/Hood/Falcon/Punisher/Spidey because I don't think there's a challenge in the game I couldn't overcome with those six. (Of course excluding things where there is an essential character that isn't one of them)
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Since his update I would put IM40 to high tier. His yellowflag.png is now very cheap and incredibly effective when you are pairing him with characters which have strong blueflag.png, redflag.png or greenflag.png -abilities (for instance Cmags, Cap, Thor (3*)).
  • undrtaker
    undrtaker Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Love this guide, very helpful

Is there a similar 4* guide anywhere?
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Agreed, this is a great guide that really helped me get up to a 3-4* transition. One thing that I would be curious about is how Championing impacts this list.
  • Melis1988
    Melis1988 Posts: 14
    Maybe a bit late to the party icon_e_wink.gif

Thanks for this topic, I have been tracking it since going from 2 to 3 stars!
    However its that time of year where I would like focussing on building up my 4 stars, is there a similar topic for 4 stars.

Regargs,
    Melis1988
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes there is a big difference in some characters in PvP vs. PvE when you rank characters. Obviously the list has changed as Iron Man is certainly now top 5 in 3* land with his yellow ability alone. I would actually put him maybe second just after Iron Fist myself. His yellow ability is also really good in both PvP and PvE so he has that going for him too.