Dauthi's 3* Guide - Who to level and how to build 'em! 03/09

Comments

• Patch (3* Wolverine) pairs with more characters than you credit. Falcon bluetile.png , Cap bluetile.pngredtile.png , and Blade purpletile.png are helpful to removing or reducing the negative effect of Patch's greentile.png . Dr. Doom's purpletile.png is awesome because the trap tiles prevent the enemy strike tiles from being made. And there's always Dr. Octopus (completing the trifecta of doctors with Hulk) who crushes with his board manipulation.

Both Ant Man, and Elektra with him too. I think I've figured out a couple other combos as well, but can't remember off the top of my head.

His healing is so insane though, in combination with him tanking 3 colors I routinely reach 500 points in a versus foray without using health packs and having 2-4 teammates around 10 min healing timers.
  • Awesome guide, thanks for putting time on making it, helps a lot when (like me) you are a new player.
  • Brys81 wrote:
    Patch (3* Wolverine) pairs with more characters than you credit. Falcon bluetile.png , Cap bluetile.pngredtile.png , and Blade purpletile.png are helpful to removing or reducing the negative effect of Patch's greentile.png . Dr. Doom's purpletile.png is awesome because the trap tiles prevent the enemy strike tiles from being made. And there's always Dr. Octopus (completing the trifecta of doctors with Hulk) who crushes with his board manipulation.

Both Ant Man, and Elektra with him too. I think I've figured out a couple other combos as well, but can't remember off the top of my head.

His healing is so insane though, in combination with him tanking 3 colors I routinely reach 500 points in a versus foray without using health packs and having 2-4 teammates around 10 min healing timers.

I think Doom's purple trap tiles get replaced by the strike tiles generated from Berserker's Rage. Just like how Daken's strike tiles replaces DD's Ambush trap tiles.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Opposing Doom's trap tiles get replaced by strikes tiles generated by your Berserker Rage.
    Your Doom's trap tiles do not get replaced by strikes tiles generated by your Berserker Rage.
  • jgrims
    jgrims Posts: 3
    Great job on the character guide
  • What causes the extra damage on the second throw for Cap's shield toss? Or are you going off the fact it costs less AP to toss it again, and rerating it's ap cost accordingly?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Haetron wrote:
    What causes the extra damage on the second throw for Cap's shield toss? Or are you going off the fact it costs less AP to toss it again, and rerating it's ap cost accordingly?

Right I am accounting for if your countdown tile survived, I'll make that more clear.
    Brys81 wrote:
    Patch (3* Wolverine) pairs with more characters than you credit. Falcon bluetile.png , Cap bluetile.pngredtile.png , and Blade purpletile.png are helpful to removing or reducing the negative effect of Patch's greentile.png . Dr. Doom's purpletile.png is awesome because the trap tiles prevent the enemy strike tiles from being made. And there's always Dr. Octopus (completing the trifecta of doctors with Hulk) who crushes with his board manipulation.

Faclon's blue can't be counted on, it's incredibly slow. Caps removal is slow as well. I do like the Dr. Doom combo, though it doesn't work nearly as well as the typical Loki or Daredevil combo. Sometimes he leaves a lot of traps, sometimes he doesn't. It's all RNG whether his combo works or not, while loki/daredevil is solid.
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Still a great guide dauthi, with some solid improvements. I still think you are a bit high on blade, a bit low on cage, and way to high on she-hulk (who I find no more intimidating than cage). Also don't understand why there is such a large gap between daken and patch.

I have never been killed by cage, only inconvenienced. I have been killed by Blade when his purple gets lodged in corners, or when reds are highly populated but not match-able. In regards to daken/patch, Daken has 0 risk, and 2 passives that are great making him a great pair for any new player's roster (his colors are great). Patch on the other hand is a ton of risk and only really shines with other characters to pair him with, and his colors are average.

Finally, I can't say how much She-Hulk is underrated. With 12 green AP she virtually resets an enemies AP reserves to 0 (with 5 green), and AP is what wins games. I have been killed by her due to this, and often delayed. That coupled with a red that boasts great damage/ap ratios, massive HP, and being able to steal AND boost special tiles (god I hate it when she takes my hulkbuster's strikes!), makes her a versatile and strong opponent.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    icon_ragnarok.pngRagnarok - greenflag.png 3 redflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5
    icon_spiderman.pngSpider-Man - yellowflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 5 - Rank 6th of low tier
    icon_ironman.pngIron Man - redflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3/4/5 yellowflag.png 3/4/5 - Rank 5th of low tier
    icon_hulk.pngHulk - greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 4th of low tier
    icon_sentry.pngSentry - redflag.png 5 greenflag.png 3 yellowflag.png 5 - Rank 3rd of low tier
    icon_blackwidow.pngBlack Widow - greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 - 2 Rank 2nd of low tier
    icon_doctoroctopus.pngDoctor Octopus - blueflag.png 5 blackflag.png 5 greenflag.png 3 or blueflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 - Rank 1st of low tier
    icon_falcon.pngFalcon - yellowflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 3 - Rank 9th of mid tier
    icon_caroldanvers.pngCaptain Marvel - redflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 yellowflag.png 5 - Rank 8th of mid tier
    icon_squirrelgirl.pngSquirrel Girl - yellowflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 Rank 7th of mid tier
    icon_storm.pngStorm - greenflag.png 3 yellowflag.png 5 blackflag.png 5 or greenflag.png 5 yellowflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 6th of mid tier
    icon_colossus_new.pngColossus - yellowflag.png 5 redflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 or yellowflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 5th of mid tier
    icon_psylocke.pngPsylocke - redflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 4th of mid tier
    icon_gamora.pngGamora - greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 or 3 greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 5 blackflag.png - Rank 3rd of mid tier
    icon_punisher.pngPunisher - blackflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 or blackflag.png 3 greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 5 - Rank 2nd of mid tier
    icon_daredevil.pngDaredevil - purpleflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 redflag.png 5 or purpleflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 redflag.png 5 - Rank 1st of mid tier
    icon_wolverine.pngWolverine - greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 yellowflag.png 5 - Rank 15th of high tier
    icon_deadpool.pngDeadpool - redflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 - Rank 14th of high tier
    icon_mystique.pngMystique - purpleflag.png 4 blueflag.png 4 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 13th of high tier
    icon_beast.pngBeast - blueflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 yellowflag.png 3 - Rank 12th of high tier
    icon_hood.pngHood - yellowflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 - Rank 11th of high tier
    icon_loki.pngLoki - blackflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 3 greenflag.png 5 or blackflag.png 4 purpleflag.png 4 greenflag.png 5 - Rank 10th of high tier
    icon_humantorch.pngHuman Torch - redflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 greenflag.png 5 Rank 9th of high tier
    icon_rocket.pngRocket & Groot - yellowflag.png 3 greenflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 or yellowflag.png 5 greenflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 Rank 8th of upper mid tier
    icon_doctordoom.pngDoctor Doom - blackflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 or blackflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 5 - Rank 7th of high tier
    icon_daken.pngDaken - purpleflag.png 5 blackflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 or purpleflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5:- Rank 6th of high tier
    icon_captainamerica.pngCaptain America - yellowflag.png 3 redflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 - Rank 5th of high tier
    icon_kamalakhan.pngKamala Khan - yellowflag.png 5 purpleflag.png 5 greenflag.png 3 or yellowflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 - Rank 4th of high tier
    icon_blackpanther.pngBlack Panther - yellowflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 3rd of high tier
    icon_magneto.pngMagneto - yellowflag.png 3 redflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 - Rank 2nd of high tier
    icon_lukecage.pngLuke Cage - yellowflag.png 5 redflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 or yellowflag.png 5 redflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 1st of high tier
    icon_shehulk.pngShe-Hulk - blueflag.png 4 greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 4 - Rank 6th of top tier
    icon_blade.pngBlade - blackflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 - Rank 5th of top tier
    icon_thor.pngThor - redflag.png 3 yellowflag.png 5 greenflag.png 5 - Rank 4th of top tier
    icon_scarletwitch.pngScarlet Witch purpleflag.png 5 greenflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 - Rank 3rd of top tier
    icon_cyclops.pngCyclops redflag.png 5 yellowflag.png 3 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 2nd of top tier
    icon_ironfist.pngIron Fist - greenflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 blackflag.png 5 - Rank 1st of top tier

Some characters are also great support characters, so even though they might not be great on their own, they're awesome as role players. Since the game allows you to use 3 characters, team composition is important too.

IM40 only requires two yellow covers to be a great role player. He can accelerate red/blue users, such as LCap, Thor4. Hulk and Patch allow for people to punch above their weight class in PVP. GSBW, SW and Prof X make quick work of a lot of PVE squads.

The characters I probably won't ever build dupes for are Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Hulk, Sentry, Doc Ock, Squirrel Girl, Colossus, Psylocke, Punisher, Daredevil, Mystique, Human Torch, She-Hulk and Quicksilver.

Vision and Bullseye are good 3*, especially when they're able to be put in the middle position. Team them with Iron Fist, and you get an automatic attack tile, which gets strengthened with Vision's blue and if it downs someone, Bullseye gets credit, which triggers his passive. They help me clear the lower nodes in PVE very quickly.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. It has really helped me progress my team!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    ronin-san wrote:
    Consider icon_bullseye.png . He's really fun when someone is putting things out for him to hit. In that case, Luke Cage is a brilliant pairing. Cage can tank blacktile.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.png and give bullseye free targets every turn for bullseye's dagger.
    Captain Marvel is also a fun pairing as her Black gives the enemy a weak Strike tile to pop with Bullseye. Just add someone with a nice Blue and Yellow like Beast or CMags.

I like pairing Bullseye with Thor and Black Panther for wave fights. Once icon_bullseye.png kills ONE enemy, you might as well call TIMBER!!!. By the end of DDQ's enchilada, I've one shot them with Black Panther's blackflag.png .
  • Generally speaking you can't go wrong focusing on upgrading NEW 3 * characters who have been launched recently. Firstly they tend to be highly powered, secondly they tend to have ubiquitously available covers. Examples for me are Luke Cage, Iron Fist ( who I have maxed ) and Kamala Khan and Cyclops who I have close to maxed out. Following the same logic, focusing on characters who will soon be featured in movies is smart. Examples include Black panther whose black power is crippling, and otherwise he has a strong defensive and offensive passive power; as well as miss marvel, whose black power is wicked, and her passive power loading up red AP is deadly.

With the seemingly capricious "leveling" of current characters - that is more of a **** shoot. Currently Magneto's blue power is over the top, and his red is decently offensive, while his yellow is good at shutting the board down. He went from OK to OMG. Mentioning She Hulk... with her new ability to vaporize enemy AP she has gone from useless to arguably unfair.

The mention of traditional characters like thor and steve rogers is interesting. They are 3 star characters whereby the stars blink or sparkle - like they do for mohawk storm and daken. That being the case one would expect a blinking 3 star character SHOULD be better than a normal 3 star character. I would say Thor and Steve Rogers fit the bill as high powered characters, but Storm and Daken fall short of being clearly superior to other 3 star characters ( I have them all pinned).

Thor is good in that his powers are strong and feed eachother and his health points are high. Steve Rogers is good in that his health is high, his Red and Blue powers can virtually regenerate themselves as well as destroy countdown / enemy shield / enemy attack tiles ( despite his yellow being dubious ). Storm and Daken merely run with the standard 3 star pack.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the seemingly capricious "leveling" of current characters - that is more of a **** shoot. Currently Magneto's blue power is over the top, and his red is decently offensive, while his yellow is good at shutting the board down. He went from OK to OMG. Mentioning She Hulk... with her new ability to vaporize enemy AP she has gone from useless to arguably unfair.
    Magneto was only OK before he got changed? As I recall he used to be more powerful but was lucky enough to not become underpowered when he got changed unlike some others I can mention...
    (I liked She-Hulk before the change too, but her new incarnation is miles better.)
    The mention of traditional characters like thor and steve rogers is interesting. They are 3 star characters whereby the stars blink or sparkle - like they do for mohawk storm and daken. That being the case one would expect a blinking 3 star character SHOULD be better than a normal 3 star character. I would say Thor and Steve Rogers fit the bill as high powered characters, but Storm and Daken fall short of being clearly superior to other 3 star characters ( I have them all pinned).

Thor is good in that his powers are strong and feed eachother and his health points are high. Steve Rogers is good in that his health is high, his Red and Blue powers can virtually regenerate themselves as well as destroy countdown / enemy shield / enemy attack tiles ( despite his yellow being dubious ). Storm and Daken merely run with the standard 3 star pack.
    The stars blink to signify that it's a "Gold character", which mostly means they took an existing 2* character (or 1* in the case of Storm) and remade it as a 3*. It has nothing to do with power levels, even though Thor and Steve happen to be among the more effective 3*. I think you may be selling Daken short too, he's very useful when you want to avoid burning through health packs.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    I think you may be selling Daken short too, he's very useful when you want to avoid burning through health packs.

This. All day. Every day.

While star.pngstar.pngstar.png Daken may not be in the Top 5 of his character class, he is easily Top 10 and one of the most used of that range.

I have mine at 5/5/3, the best and really only build for this character. He pops out two strike tiles per greentile.png match from either team, heals with only 7 bluetile.png on the board, and does up to 2000 damage for all of 5 bluetile.png AP. I can't even begin to accurately state how many matches this guy plus star.pngstar.pngstar.png Thor & Loki have locked down for me.

There are a number of teams on which he is a good fit. Team him with Patch and just about anybody and you can run most PVE nodes without using a single health pack. There is a lot of value in that.
  • Thank you for posting this. Very helpful
  • Awesome guide, wish I had found it sooner.

Thanks.
  • BadeyeBandit
    BadeyeBandit Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Im surprised that Grey Suit is not on the List. Is this because of the amount of green you have to get for sniper rifle?
    I team her up with Scralet Witch and watch the magic. Im able to get it very quickly. I can take a team out very fast. Even high LvL teams. Just wondering if you gave this a consideration. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Quebbster wrote:
    Magneto was only OK before he got changed? As I recall he used to be more powerful but was lucky enough to not become underpowered when he got changed unlike some others I can mention...
    (I liked She-Hulk before the change too, but her new incarnation is miles better.)

Current Magneto is a beast - his Yellow helps shut the board down, his red is decent and fairly modestly priced in AP, and his blue is a barn burner - so no matter what he was, he's a hoss now. Foe She-hulk, for sure her new iteration is better, as I said, arguably lopsided. I happen to hate her, as I do doc oc, squirrel girl, beast, scarlet witch and some others, so I'll never know.

Quebbster wrote:
    The stars blink to signify that it's a "Gold character", which mostly means they took an existing 2* character (or 1* in the case of Storm) and remade it as a 3*. It has nothing to do with power levels, even though Thor and Steve happen to be among the more effective 3*. I think you may be selling Daken short too, he's very useful when you want to avoid burning through health packs.

Storm I guess is one of the few characters who have 1, 2, 3 star iterations. I have pinned thor and steve characters and I would recommend them to anyone. I have a pinned 3 star storm too, and she's better after the "leveling" but for the most part I use her on passive opponents. In terms of Daken, you're probably right. At some point I'll upgrade mine to the top, but as we all know, priorities preclude upgrading everyone. My daken is at 130 so that he is useful when he is a feature character. I find that I don't even use my 166 patch in most matches, so I don't think twice about Daken. With a fairly deep upgraded roster, and the likes of a cage who shuts the board down and a magneto who can do the same, I don't find health pack depletion normally an issue. In PVP I typically play until I'm bored, or decent matches for decent points aren't available ( whereby I shield and then play after ). For Events I typically play until the points are whittled down. In events, don't get me wrong, I often find them nauseating, in terms of the opponents and levels you face, but my roster, regardless of what it was, would not change this.

A fully upgraded cage, IF and ( insert 3 star here ) tend to steamroll most low end matches in Event mode. Beyond that for essentials, you're a slave to who is upgraded. For PVP, you're again slave to who is upgraded. My advice there is get a stable of 166ers, then get as many > 120s as you can, and selectively upgrade from there.
  • NuPhoenixX
    NuPhoenixX Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    This has been really helpful since I'm just returning and when I left the game, it was right about when IW was released. So yeah, I needed some guidance with the new characters.

Trying not to pay for HP just yet, so I made the choice to dump my blackflag.png Doc Ock and instead put in my Mystique with purpleflag.png and blackflag.png covers already.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 364 Mover and Shaker
    Hey Dauthi,

I'm not as advanced as others and am not completely maxing out 3* covers yet. Do you have a 2* Guide the same as your 3* one? Your 3* guide is fantastic and I would love to know which builds I need to definitely have because I start second guessing my builds when I get a cover for an already maxed out 2*. If this is a dumb question and there's already a 2* guide out there, I apologize. May I have a link? icon_e_biggrin.gif

I will absolutely return to this guide when I start getting more and more 3* covers.

Thanks!
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    I think you can use Polarity's guide for the 2*, don't really think any new have been released since then.