RE: Increased Incendiary Behaviour on the Forums.

1234568»

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like this one, submitted via PM.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

Submitted by PM? So it's surreptitious, wait, that doesn't start with I, er, Invisible? Incognito? Incommunicado?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Moon Roach wrote:

Submitted by PM? So it's surreptitious, wait, that doesn't start with I, er, Invisible? Incognito? Incommunicado?

It wasn't my intent to be inconspicuous about it. I hadn't inspected this thread recently, and hadn't an inkling that a discussion about an alternative name was going on instead.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Irritable? Irrational? Infantile? Infuriating?
  • GothicKratos
    Fair warning; tomorrow is when the fun begins.
  • Well this is weird.
  • Indulgent? Inconsistent? Illogical? Impulsive? Insane?

With the removal of downvotes we've got insanity upvoted. Sanity deserves no upvotes because it doesn't provide the same emotional payment. The downvote system was a subtle dam against the inanity now flooding the forums. I think the moderators have shot themselves in the foot by not allowing the community to police itself. Moderators have consistently said that they aren't on the forums 24/7; the community is. Would have been nicer to just remove down vote privileges from those abusing it.

Sorry for discussing downvotes here, but the thread to actually discuss it was locked => that should have been the first warning sign.

Here's hoping warnings somehow stem the flood.
  • Fair warning; tomorrow is when the fun begins.

Like "us" fun or "them" fun?

marc
  • GothicKratos
    @daibar: No, you're totally right, really. A lot of the general nastiness was kept nice and neat and out of your eyes when we had downvotes. That being said, I still feel like resorting to being rude or mean to somebody else is unnecessary (and that's all this is really about). There were some seriously nasty up/down-vote comments floating around. I don't think that kind of behaviour is acceptable whether in the thread or in a comment on a vote. It was also becoming a way for people to fight with each other without being in the eye of the public about it, and it was really hard to keep track of it unless I checked the rep log all the time (or people reported it).

I hear you on the concern that there's not really enough moderator to moderate comment, especially with downvoting being gone and all the nastiness is just in the open, but it was really just the center of a really huge cluster-you-know-what. If I have to take twenty minutes reversing a 'rep war', sending PMs, reading post/comments/logs, etc - that's a buttload of essentially wasted time that I could be using actually engaging the community...or you know, playing the game.

It'll be a rough transition. There will be people that "don't care", and that's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Downvotes are gone and those ugly vote comments are now completely public. As a moderator that wants to actually foster a friendly community, I have to do something (or sit and watch everyone be a gigantickitty to one another).

marc
    djsquillz wrote:

marc

Well, I'm not going to enjoy this, so, uh, nobody really, I guess. icon_lol.gif

=====

I'm going to go ahead and close this (and fix the title to something static and not part of the run on gag icon_lol.gif), but before I do, I want to take a moment and recap a little bit.

So, first and foremost, I want to let everyone know I am going to try and look into a supplemental reputation system. I personally like the idea of a reputation system. It's nice to be able to just throw an upvote at a nice idea or a well constructed post, and it's equally nice to be able to throw a downvote at someone that might have a good idea but is being a complete tinykitty about it (or maybe they don't have a good point and they're just being a butt). It was nice being able to throw upvotes to guys like MM, NP, Phantron, etc that made huge write-ups about the game, even if it really means nothing in the long run, it was still nice to be able to give them those green posts.

I want to try and find a system that will allow you to say "I don't agree with this" or "you're being a tinykitty", as well as "I don't agree, but this is very well thought out/written!" or/i] "I completely agree with this!" (and hopefully one just for 'spam', even though you shouldn't see it very often!). I don't know if I want a system with literal negative reputation, however, it just feels too easy to use...well....negatively.

Secondly, I want to over-emphasize the fact that you're;

1.) Free to speak out against D3/Demuirge and/or their policies, as long as you're not being a tinykitty about it and attacking people.
    2.) Free to debate opinions with other users, as long as you're not being a jerk and telling them they're not allowed to have an opinion, or you're not being a jerk about it.
    3.) Free to report ALL USERS, if you feel that they are being overtly aggressive or demeaning to you. If you're having problems with a green name (and it happens - us green names are flawed human beings just like everyone else), absolutely report the problem to another green name, or alternatively to IceIX or HiFi. Nobody is allowed to be a jerk on purpose.

And in closing, I hope that this thread goes to show by example that I have no interest in take away memes or anything like that. I don't want to be a dictator, not do I want a totalitarian state. I just want being to be respectful to one-another. There was a lot of goofiness int his thread, there were memes, there were off-topic posts. Really, this thread was perfect. I hope everything comes together like I want it to.
This discussion has been closed.