RE: Increased Incendiary Behaviour on the Forums.

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far as concerns involving making the reputation system better, I mean, that would be awesome, but I can't do that. If we were going to edit the one we had already, we'd have to edit the code and all that and I have no real idea on how to do that. If we got a different system, we'd have to install it, test it, etc. Still something I can't do.

To be honest, I miss the reputation system. It wasn't much, but it was nice being able to give a post that gave me a laugh or a post that was well put together a thumb (whether I agreed or not). Likewise, it was nice being able to just throw down a downtick and a simple comment like "overly rude" or something to that affect.

Additionally, honestly, I will admit it was pretty amusing to look through my history and see who up'd or down'd particular posts. I don't care for the lump total of my rep, but it's very interesting to me to see who up's and down's what for what reasons.

I think maybe I'll do some research on a more robust reputation system in the future.

====

@TPR "Situation": Yeah. See, the problem with a lot of stuff previously was we were soft to everything. It made it difficult to punish users actually doing something wrong. I've deleted or edited quite a few of his posts. That's part of what I'm attempting to do. I'm trying to establish a baseline. I feel like three strikes leading into a 24 hour ban is pretty easy. If i were to make a list of users that I don't think should literally exist, it'd be like two users long. Despite not liking how some people carry themselves, most of those people are really intelligent and I have a lot of respect for them (and also, having a bad attitude doesn't make you a bad person either, you're just a butt icon_lol.gif).

(Note: The hidden post scenario he was talking about was that if an individual post got -5 rep, it was automatically hidden. There's not a user-based thresh hold like that, as far as I know.)

====

I think I've touched on everything so far. I want to be as honest and open about everything as I can, so if you want to say something or you want to post something, please do. Hopefully I can prove that I'm not crazy (well, not tooooo crazy - I do bite). Going forward I'm going to try and do things to engage the community together as a community. Look forward to that post soon.
  • GK can you comment on this ****?
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=30236

The word "****" is censured when it's talking about a part of the body now? In a game where OBW is wearing that? Is this Spongebob Squarepants Puzzle Quest now?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    ArkPrime wrote:
    GK can you comment on this ****?
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=30236

The word "****" is censured when it's talking about a part of the body now? In a game where OBW is wearing that? Is this Spongebob Squarepants Puzzle Quest now?

If anything there would be more butts if what you said was true.

spongebob-butt-squidward.gif
  • I read all 5 pages just to put these two things in:

1. Incredulous, as Der Lex pointed out, just means "unwilling to believe." If the initial suggestion is that the behavior of the forumites is unbelievable, the word we're looking for is "incredible." The word has been used in an exclusively positive light for a long time, but its original meaning is value neutral and pretty close to "unbelievable." I am sorry if this seems pedantic. The same thing would have happened if there were a long thread that mis-used "infer" or "imply" in its title.

2. A circular argument is one that uses its own premises as its conclusion. Like, "Since you're a scumbag, it's clear that you are a scumbag." Usually, in non-example situations, the conclusion is cleverly rephrased so that it isn't obvious that the argument is circular. Not exactly the same as just restating your point over and over again. I think the fancy rhetorical name for that is "being stubborn and lazy."

Oh, and I wanted to support Rafoon in his point about attacking ideas. An idea in public (especially on the internet) is like a disabled seven year-old with a cut foot who falls into a shark tank. It's going to get attacked. And if someone were to respond to this post by simply saying, "That analogy was monstrous," the fact that that post is an unqualified attack on my reprehensible use of metaphor is perfectly reasonable. Unqualified attacks are rhetorically and logically weak, but that doesn't make them censure-worthy. Ideas don't have feelings and rights like people do. They're not corporations.
  • GothicKratos
    I updated the OP with a more fleshed out and specific set of guidelines. Please feel free to further respond going forward. I am listening. :]
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Are you saying it's Lupus?
  • Are you saying it's Lupus?

It's never Lupus, except that time it was.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Are you saying it's Lupus?

It's never Lupus, except that time it was.

timmy-lupus--large-msg-1115228411-2.jpg
  • GothicKratos
    You know, I genuinely did not see that joke coming, and I wish I could give you more than one upvote right now. icon_lol.gif
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Tl:dr
    I've found that I've been much happier with MPQ since I took a break from the forums, stopping by just to get the announcements and verify any game issues.
    I got really tired of the whining and complaining and negative attitude of quite a few posts. It seems no matter what D3 does, people will jump on them for it. Recently they more than paid back the iso lost in daily rewards and they still got flack. I just shake my head anymore.
    Maybe the devs are too accessible and people get mad because they don't change things they way people want even though we know they probably could. Why don't they do this?! I want them to!
    I know I wouldn't want to have to satisfy this fickle but opinionated bunch.
    Anyway, this post caught my eye during my recent perusal and wanted to drop my two cents. I hope this goes towards making the forums a more welcome place. I'm not rage quitting the game, I love it. I'm rage quitting the forums.
  • MojoWild wrote:
    I've found that I've been much happier with MPQ since I took a break from the forums, stopping by just to get the announcements and verify any game issues.
    I got really tired of the whining and complaining and negative attitude of quite a few posts. It seems no matter what D3 does, people will jump on them for it. Recently they more than paid back the iso lost in daily rewards and they still got flack. I just shake my head anymore.
    Maybe the devs are too accessible and people get mad because they don't change things they way people want even though we know they probably could. Why don't they do this?! I want them to!
    Anyway, this post caught my eye during my recent perusal and wanted to drop my two cents. I hope this goes towards making the forums a more welcome place. I'm not rage quitting the game, I love it. I'm rage quitting the forums.
    Welp they still haven't compensated Earth's Mightiest Heroes so yeah....
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Increased Immunosupresive Behaviour on the Forums?

That's what we are going with? If you insist upon alliteration in the first two words AND:

If you are going with (1) "an increase in" (2) "Behaviour that is unacceptable"

Increased Intolerable Behavior
    Increased Insufferable Behavior
    Increased Inadmissible Behavior

If you are going with (1) "an increase in" (2) "Behaviour that is distasteful"

Augmented Aggravating Behaviour
    Escalating Exasperating Behaviour
    Rising Revolting Behaviour

Or if you want to get really crazy:

Bad Behaviour on the Boards: Bitter Mod Bites Back.
  • I don't think "incredulous" is quite the word you're looking for.

*Cue Inigo Montoya*

I don't think "Choices" is the word either.

I'm kidding.

Please don't ban me Im new.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

And to prove my point. Sigh.
  • MojoWild wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

And to prove my point. Sigh.
    sigh all you want, no justice no peace
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I'm also enjoying MPQ even more now that I'm coming to the Forum less. I began my time on the Forum discussing the actual game and enjoying my time here, but after a while I just found myself spending way too much time in argumentative threads about other things.

I feel that people almost exclusively come here now to talk to the Devs, or about the Devs, rather than talk to other players about the game. Oh well.

I still come for the Spoiler thread, though! I really like the dynamic there.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I'm also enjoying MPQ even more now that I'm coming to the Forum less. I began my time on the Forum discussing the actual game and enjoying my time here, but after a while I just found myself spending way too much time in argumentative threads about other things.

I feel that people almost exclusively come here now to talk to the Devs, or about the Devs, rather than talk to other players about the game. Oh well.

Oh no. Now that you told everyone, they'll ruin that too.
  • I'm also enjoying MPQ even more now that I'm coming to the Forum less. I began my time on the Forum discussing the actual game and enjoying my time here, but after a while I just found myself spending way too much time in argumentative threads about other things.

I less and less go to the forum because there isn't anything thrilling to read, whether it is announcements or "changes". The Spoiler's thread used to be awesome, but this has been nerfed too. So I go there less often too.

Ultron was the last "thrilling" thing in the game, but part of the fun vanished with server outages.

I'm just neutral now and just adapt to the changes, spending less and less money into the game (it was not difficult to spend less time as I used to have no life besides MPQ).

Linechat is widespread now, and this is where the players are having fun.

I think this thread gives too much credit to people who can't behave, and if they were just ignored, things would naturally settle down.

A long speech (OP) won't do much to people who lacked of an education.

The bad communication between D3 and the community is now engraved in this forum and the contents is available to the noobs. It would have been better to start everything from scratch at some point. Some devs should never have appeared again on the forum, leaving the way to people who could understand what a customer is.

D3 releases tons of new characters but apart from Ultron, DDQ and survival nodes, fail to do anything with them.

15 seasons with the same routine makes no sense at all. We can only hope that the turnover generated by the VS activity drops, so they get the motivation to bring something new to the game.
  • It should be said that the conversations I have in Line with the people from this game are far, far more entertaining and intelligent than anything I've ever read here. Maybe it's because people who are wrong or act like morons are immediately told so, maybe it's because it feels less anonymous when people are talking in real time, who knows. You guys should know that when this place gets overcensored, as it seems it could soon, there's a place to move on to.

You'd be surprised who hangs out there.... icon_razz.gif
  • GothicKratos
    ArkPrime wrote:
    You'd be surprised who hangs out there.... icon_razz.gif

Like me!
This discussion has been closed.