Your WORST MPQ moment of the day (REALITY thread)

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Obviously it is sad to hear that players are not enjoying the game but if you have been playing 2 years then you should not:
    a.) Need Kraven as a counter to special tile meta (that guide sounds a bit out of date) when there have been plenty others released such as Morbius and Mantis just this year
    b.) Struggle against invisible characters in events where you can pick - anybody with an aoe can hit them.
    The current Loki event is a pain and lots of players have been complaining - maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back but relatively speaking you are missing out on not a great deal in terms of prizes.
    PvP is a whole 'nother topic - I maintain that 5* should be either gated for new players or the ability to raise levels from one cover be adjusted/removed because we have heard this story so many times and it is in the Devs hands to help out here and not let so many players fall through the trap door.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the Welcome to Shield event, I usually bring out 3*DP for day 2 and 3. Boost +2 blue/purple and boost +2 all. Then it's just getting to 14 and whale ( I know I can aks for and use Whale teamups, but even if they read you need a 3* DP teamup, I often get others, and it could also be for the other powers of DP).

But in this particular case, Loki is invisible from the start, so he won't take the hits. Couple this with an underleveled 5* Loki and DP is down quickly.

First 2 tries had me failing because DP kept jumping in front, 3rd try I leveled 5* Loki so he would take more hits and survive longer. Still lost. Finally, slapped on the Chimichanga support and with a bit of luck I could get to 14 purple before I got slaughtered.

Never thought invisibility would harm my own team.
  • Monkeyfoo
    Monkeyfoo Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    How strange that two new players in the last few days make their first forum post with similar complaints.  There's no way this could be a coincidence -- the only conclusion to be drawn is that the game is dying. 

Everyone abandon ship!
    He literally said: "I have been playing for some time. I forget but it has been a couple years at least, so I can't take advantage of any newbie tips and tricks."

That's hardly a new player. More likely someone who has been playing more casually without advancing their roster 'properly', so now they don't have essentials and meta/counter characters.
    This is true. I checked and have been playing for 5 years. I simply don't have the good characters or enough covers of other 5* to have a good roster it seems.

• Monkeyfoo
    Options
    Monkeyfoo said:
    Just jumping on this thread to say I uninstalled, gave a one star review. and the devs sent me here to get help. So I look at the first tips thread I see and it says xyz and be willing to spend 3-500 dollars. **** man. 
    I have been playing for some time. I forget but it has been a couple years at least, so I can't take advantage of any newbie tips and tricks. Maybe I messed up by getting 5* s on my roster, but I always felt I was just playing the game as intended. Isn't the point to power up and get better roster. I don't save the pulls. But now I am unable to win in PVP, and honestly PVE is not that fun uninteresting. 
    The balance is phenomenally  bad. And the 'random' match ups in PVP are a joke. The same 4-5 characters that  have powers that obliterate me before I can even inflict 20% damage to one of the characters. 
    I don't have the special characters (kraven or others) that the tipsters say to use, and who knows when I could get them since the character pulls are completely random.
    PVE seems to easy, so I went up a level and then it was near impossible to do. And now they have alligator loki with invisible so that current event is unable to be completed.  Much like when Yellowjacket  came out. 

I keep thinking maybe I should delete all my 4/5* and kind of start again,  but I don't think that I would drop down to other levels. I am currently 8+ selection for events

I know i am not the only one that is frustrated by the imbalance and ridiculous matchups. Aside from that there are some other quirks and minor issues, such as iso8 and rewards etc, but I was ok with those, cause while it took awhile I was still able to play. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Maybe down the road I will reinstall, but for now this game is just too frustrating.  
    I just checked and I have been playing 5 years.

I don't have some sort of strategy or properly work my roster, esp with 5 star. I simply play. When I get a cover I normally just pull it.  
    I admit I am in no way good at strategy etc, 
    I think I am more confused with the intent of the game and how you should play. 
    If you can get a 5* character cover, why should you wait for x amount of time? You are then forever trapped in some 3/4* land? and if you pull the covers you are thrown into the arena to get trounced. 

I freely admit I am implementing any strategy or that I in any way understand the cover set up. 

Maybe I just suck to much for the game, lol. 

My most frustrating aspect is really the balance and repetitive matches. I don't mind losing, but it sucks when I can't compete. When my team is wiped in 5 turns, something is wrong with the matchups, I think. Also having the same 4-5 characters pop up in versus is insane.
    Maybe a sort of balance win/lose meter would be good. I think the reward points hints at that, but could be enhanced.

I am definitely a casual player and play when I can. I am not really concerned with strategy. 
    I think it should be more reliant on 'Oh, ill pick these characters because they might match up well", versus strategy of "i wont pull any 5* covers until I know I can champ them?"

If the game isn't for me, I guess, OK. but it is a bummer, because the actual gameplay is fun, and I am a fan of marvel. I may just try to search out another match 3 style. 

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Obviously it is sad to hear that players are not enjoying the game but if you have been playing 2 years then you should not:
    a.) Need Kraven as a counter to special tile meta (that guide sounds a bit out of date) when there have been plenty others released such as Morbius and Mantis just this year
    b.) Struggle against invisible characters in events where you can pick - anybody with an aoe can hit them.
    The current Loki event is a pain and lots of players have been complaining - maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back but relatively speaking you are missing out on not a great deal in terms of prizes.
    PvP is a whole 'nother topic - I maintain that 5* should be either gated for new players or the ability to raise levels from one cover be adjusted/removed because we have heard this story so many times and it is in the Devs hands to help out here and not let so many players fall through the trap door.
    Is this actually true?  I find it almost impossible to believe that a player who levels one 5* cover from 255 to 270 is suddenly faced with an impenetrable wall of 550s in PvP.  If levelling a character to 270 gives you lvl270 opponents, isn't that fair?

The game absolutely does gate PvP fights based on your roster tier -- for years I had to do a series of bizarre tricks to queue 550 rosters.  The game was hiding them from me because it thought the fights were too difficult (they weren't).

I'd like to hear specifically what kind of roster this particular player has and what kind of fights they were being shown. Generally I have found the effect being described to be *massively* overstated.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Is this actually true?  I find it almost impossible to believe that a player who levels one 5* cover from 255 to 270 is suddenly faced with an impenetrable wall of 550s in PvP.  If levelling a character to 270 gives you lvl270 opponents, isn't that fair?

The game absolutely does gate PvP fights based on your roster tier -- for years I had to do a series of bizarre tricks to queue 550 rosters.  The game was hiding them from me because it thought the fights were too difficult (they weren't).

I'd like to hear specifically what kind of roster this particular player has and what kind of fights they were being shown. Generally I have found the effect being described to be *massively* overstated.
    Who was talking about 550s?!?!? Not me.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Monkeyfoo said:
    Monkeyfoo said:
    Just jumping on this thread to say I uninstalled, gave a one star review. and the devs sent me here to get help. So I look at the first tips thread I see and it says xyz and be willing to spend 3-500 dollars. **** man. 
    I have been playing for some time. I forget but it has been a couple years at least, so I can't take advantage of any newbie tips and tricks. Maybe I messed up by getting 5* s on my roster, but I always felt I was just playing the game as intended. Isn't the point to power up and get better roster. I don't save the pulls. But now I am unable to win in PVP, and honestly PVE is not that fun uninteresting. 
    The balance is phenomenally  bad. And the 'random' match ups in PVP are a joke. The same 4-5 characters that  have powers that obliterate me before I can even inflict 20% damage to one of the characters. 
    I don't have the special characters (kraven or others) that the tipsters say to use, and who knows when I could get them since the character pulls are completely random.
    PVE seems to easy, so I went up a level and then it was near impossible to do. And now they have alligator loki with invisible so that current event is unable to be completed.  Much like when Yellowjacket  came out. 

I keep thinking maybe I should delete all my 4/5* and kind of start again,  but I don't think that I would drop down to other levels. I am currently 8+ selection for events

I know i am not the only one that is frustrated by the imbalance and ridiculous matchups. Aside from that there are some other quirks and minor issues, such as iso8 and rewards etc, but I was ok with those, cause while it took awhile I was still able to play. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Maybe down the road I will reinstall, but for now this game is just too frustrating.  
    I just checked and I have been playing 5 years.

Oh good grief.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    What I hear constantly is that if a player rosters their first 5* character and/or levels their first 5* character, PvP immediately becomes impossible due to matchmaking.  How does this impossibility manifest itself?  What does this wall of super-difficult fights actually look like? 

It's obviously not lvl550 opponents.  Are these "impossible" fights against other lvl270 5*?

Before boosted 5* I was running pretty strong characters out there at lvl500-520 and frequently taking retals or hits from full 4* teams.  Those fights were winnable for them, so I'd like to find out what an impossible PvP fight looks like in relation to one's current roster.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    What I hear constantly is that if a player rosters their first 5* character and/or levels their first 5* character, PvP immediately becomes impossible due to matchmaking.  How does this impossibility manifest itself?  What does this wall of super-difficult fights actually look like? 

It's obviously not lvl550 opponents.  Are these "impossible" fights against other lvl270 5*?

Before boosted 5* I was running pretty strong characters out there at lvl500-520 and frequently taking retals or hits from full 4* teams.  Those fights were winnable for them, so I'd like to find out what an impossible PvP fight looks like in relation to one's current roster.
    As you will see above I thought this poster was legit. To find out they are a 5 year Vet makes me conclude this is a wind up.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

As you will see above I thought this poster was legit. To find out they are a 5 year Vet makes me conclude this is a wind up.
    Haha, I thought that from the beginning! 

Then everybody started talking about matchmaking/softcapping so I figured I'd race off down that (completely tangential) path.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Softcapped around 295~ playing mostly with meta 4s, I see comparable opponents until I score over 800 and then my retals get wild pretty fast (while my free queue opponents stay roughly the same but worth a lot less), so that might be what they were seeing. Another option is that since boosts aren't taken into account, they're seeing capped boosted 5s which can get pretty hairy if you don't have anyone worthwhile on that week's boost list to answer it. My experience with boosted 5s is that I can usually climb clear to 1000, if I'm on the other end though (like this week, not having any developed enough to run) it's a struggle past 800 and takes some hops just to clear 900.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The psychology behind "impossible matchup" is likely this:

A 3* player expects to be fighting against another player using similar levelled 3* characters as them regardless of how high they climb. When the other 3* player is using level 270 or 300 5* character, the matches become "impossible" because the opponents' level is 100-150 levels higher. 100-150 level higher is considered a lot to new players who are not familiar with the characters. If they understand who those 5* characters, they are less likely to find the matches to be "impossible". You can extend this to other tier of players as long as the differences between their levels are pretty high, like 100-150 levels or more higher. Before Wanda/Colossus, 550 Okoye/iHulk is likely to be an impossible match for players with 450 champed 5*.

As for the number of years played, it's not important. Over in reddit, there are players who play only DDQ, a few nodes in pvps and pves for many years and it took some of them 5-6 years to champ their first 5*, usually a Classic.  On the other hand, you can also find players who champed 40-50 5* after 5-6 years of playing MPQ. It's all in the context.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Happened TWICE this week, when you think you’ve got the final spot in a reward tier as time expires in an event , then rewards are posted and you’ve been kicked down to the top winner in the next lower tier, by less than 5 points . 

PS Having boosted Hulk do 18K damage to teammates in his boost event every time he dies doesn’t leave you with a lot of options .
  • Monkeyfoo
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

I am not sure what you mean by wind up. Just want to be clear that I am not trying to be deceptive. Up until recently I  was doing OK. win some lose some,  but now that everyone just has Polaris/Rocket/Betaray/medusa it is problematic for me.

I am thinking I am going to see about deleting some 5*, or just doing PVE mainly until I can get some more covers. I see some tips on going against polaris etc, but don't have the characters. 
  • Monkeyfoo
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

I am going to do some vids and note the match ups. I face. maybe I can figure out how to match up against them. I'll post some details later. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    If the impossible matchups are Polaris/Medusa/Rocket etc, then selling 5* will NOT help you in any way, and recruiting 5* characters is not what caused this situation for you.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Show us your roster and opponents you are facing and we'll see how to help you and then move you from this thread to Best MPQ Moment of the day.
  • Monkeyfoo
    Options
    Show us your roster and opponents you are facing and we'll see how to help you and then move you from this thread to Best MPQ Moment of the day.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/KTdhQMDyek2HPNqw8
    Hopefully this works to view the roster and some matchups. 
    I posted some vids and am going to upload a few more on  youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5kF3GLlFEjyjzEA-9L-FNQ 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    This is the link to see his roster:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5WgglRihQ

I've seen your roster and I'm surprised that they are still showing you level 270-290 4* opponents, given that your top 5 characters' levels are 375, 345 x 3, 330. Roster-wise, even though you are missing out top 4* like Polaris, Karnak or Juggernaut, you still have good champed 4* like C4rol, America Chavez, Rogue etc. 

For the match against R4G/Polaris in Ragnarok Lightning Round, you were really lucky that Polaris couldn't match a single strike tile. Typically, against Polaris/R4G, this particular team you used would likely to be left with half life and C4rol would probably be downed.

For the match against Polaris/Mantis/BRB, you were actually winning in the beginning. However, you targeted Mantis first, instead of Polaris. Also, your JJ created strike tiles for Polaris to match away. So, these two factors led to your loss, but the main factor that led to your loss is actually not targeting Polaris first. Team composition wise, it's actually good with C4rol and Peggy in there.

For the match against Sabretooth/Polaris/Loki-gator, you made the same mistake of not downing Polaris first and creating special tiles for her to match. Team composition wise, I can't see much synergy with 3* Beast and 3* Hawkeye.

Based on these two matches alone, try switching your strategy to downing 4* Polaris first. If you want to bring someone who can create special tiles against team with Polaris, down her first. There are specific strategy where you want to create special tiles for Polaris to multiply. However, it involves some other characters like Mantis, Medusa, 3* Hawkeye and another character who can stun Polaris.

You don't look like you use ap boost or teamup, so I guess they are probably maxed out. I have a lazy solution against Polaris: America Chavez/JJ and use +1 ap boost of each type. Polaris should be downed in the next 3-4 turns.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Matchmaking just isn't nearly as punishing as everyone seems to think it is.  If it was that bad nobody would play the game.

Don't be afraid to level your guys!