Was it your plan to alienate new/casual players even more?

Comments

• Screwing players is not a zero sum game. It is possible for both veterans and newbies to be screwed. Scaling favors the newbies but due to the heavy emphasis on manpower, it is pretty unlikely a casual alliance can possibly have the manpower to meet the targets even if their newbies won every single game they ever played. Right now I think my alliance's 3 hardcore guys (including myself) can barely finish round 6 between the 3 of us plus the others and I guess I can put up with that even though this is way below what I'd normally finish in a PvE event despite the scaling. Of course scaling is hitting me pretty hard too, but that's still insignificant compared to a lack of manpower.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Im pretty sure that the #1~2 and 1k prizes on PvP are not made for begginers, not even people half-way in. Nor is DDQ or some PvEs like, hey, Heroic. Its not that 'not all features' should be for begginers, is that each time MORE features are NOT for them.
    What are you expecting? The goal is that people can achieve prizes of use to them. PVP gives prizes appropriate to your level. Same with DDQ. 2* players don't need ISO nearly as much as 3* players, so they can't always finish the DDQ. 2* players shouldn't be chasing 4* characters, so they shouldn't be trying to get 1K in PVP.

PVE is made for new players. Look at the top PVE teams, and their rosters are usually nothing special. 2* teams can shoot for 400 in PVP. There is lots to complain about in this game, but new players can't get 1K in PVP isn't one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~

How high is the scaling for low roster teams? For me, the Ultrons are at 185 in node six. Usually these events scale to punish all teams evenly. Round 7 Ultron is 350.
  • Square wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Im pretty sure that the #1~2 and 1k prizes on PvP are not made for begginers, not even people half-way in. Nor is DDQ or some PvEs like, hey, Heroic. Its not that 'not all features' should be for begginers, is
    PVE is made for new players. Look at the top PVE teams, and their rosters are usually nothing special. 2* teams can shoot for 400 in PVP. There is lots to complain about in this game, but new players can't get 1K in PVP isn't one of them.

Although I complain about scaling all the time, this statement is wrong. The top PvE guys running a 94-120 roster will still run circles around almost every other player if they're all at 166/270. They chose to leave the characters at such a low level because it gives them additional advantage on scaling, but if you ever run into one of those guys and look at how their score is going up during crunch time you can tell they're every bit as methodical as the best PvE players. The scaling means that for the same amount of effort put in they'll win over a max roster player due to their better scaling, but they're often putting in as much effort as the strongest max roster players as well, which is why they continue to win. By the way, I'm pretty sure a guy running a roster like that can easily afford to max out the key characters to 166/270 since there's literally nothing for them to spend their iso 8 on. The top PvE teams are guys who could have a maxed out team but chose to purposely not do it because they prefer to dominate in PvE over PvP, but they're also top PvE players too.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Im pretty sure that the #1~2 and 1k prizes on PvP are not made for begginers, not even people half-way in. Nor is DDQ or some PvEs like, hey, Heroic. Its not that 'not all features' should be for begginers, is that each time MORE features are NOT for them.
    What are you expecting? The goal is that people can achieve prizes of use to them. PVP gives prizes appropriate to your level. Same with DDQ. 2* players don't need ISO nearly as much as 3* players, so they can't always finish the DDQ. 2* players shouldn't be chasing 4* characters, so they shouldn't be trying to get 1K in PVP.

~~~~~~~~~~

How high is the scaling for low roster teams? For me, the Ultrons are at 185 in node six. Usually these events scale to punish all teams evenly. Round 7 Ultron is 350.

Main Ultron appears to be the same level for everyone regardless of level. It's the essential and Ultron Prime nodes that are being scaled to high holy tinykitty.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I sympathize. I am a post 2* - early 3* transitioner. I'm enjoying AvU immensely but I do have some concerns I will be scaled out soon. Hopefully not but we'll see... Anyway, the AvU event probably hits a little harder for the new/casual player than the run of the mill PVE. This one's unique with lots of awesomeness and not being able to play it (or getting pounded when played) must be incredibly frustrating. To add a little fuel, this game is designed to scale; it should be playable regardless of roster strength. However, MPQ doesn't do a good job doing so and I find it depressingly funny that the scaling problems hit equally hard at both ends.
  • I think this heroic does a great job of including new players. IM35, the mainstay of every player is massively boosted. My lvl 1 IM35 (who I got as an additional hero for Ultron event essential nodes) is boosted 40 levels to 41 in this. If a new player has a maxed IM35, I'm sure they could take on many of the nodes singlehandedly just with IM35.

As for casual players, I think the Ultron event does a good job with this subset as well. Even if you lose against Ultron you still get partial points. Players who aren't as popular among the hardcore, but are among casual players (eg Spiderman, AWolverine) are decent mainstays against Ultron and his goons. No you're not probably not going to beat Ultron mark 8 with them, but you'll be able to beat Ultron at least 3 times even in a moderately casual alliance.
  • Arondite wrote:
    I'm with you man. Most marathons are designed for people who can run an actual marathon. I've only been running for a few weeks now, but I think I should still be able to compete and finish with the more experienced runners in the future. That's why I feel the next time they host the Boston Marathon, it should be shortened to about a half mile. That way the veteran runners still finish of course, but I can finish equal to them with my weeks of experience.
    Totally missed the point here, totally removing new players is not same. Its more like you couldnt even start the marathon after you alredy signed as a participant because the organizers put something that only veterans could right off the start. Like starting a marathon with a 1km swimming and then the running part.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    I'm with you man. Most marathons are designed for people who can run an actual marathon. I've only been running for a few weeks now, but I think I should still be able to compete and finish with the more experienced runners in the future. That's why I feel the next time they host the Boston Marathon, it should be shortened to about a half mile. That way the veteran runners still finish of course, but I can finish equal to them with my weeks of experience.
    Totally missed the point here, totally removing new players is not same. Its more like you couldnt even start the marathon after you alredy signed as a participant because the organizers put something that only veterans could right off the start. Like starting a marathon with a 1km swimming and then the running part.

I didn't miss anything, you're inventing arguments that don't exist. My point still holds - if you're not ready to run a triathalon (can run, can swm, brought a bike) you don't deserve to compete with the people who have trained and prepared for triathalons.

Go run sprints instead.
  • Arondite wrote:
    I didn't miss anything, you're inventing arguments that don't exist. My point still holds - if you're not ready to run a triathalon (can run, can swm, brought a bike) you don't deserve to compete with the people who have trained and prepared for triathalons.

Go run sprints instead.
    You didnt get it; people signed for a sprint and the competition started with swimming, removing all newbies right off the bat.
  • Arondite
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

Go run sprints instead.
    You didnt get it; people signed for a sprint and the competition started with swimming, removing all newbies right off the bat.

I don't see anywhere this event was advertised as new-player-friendly. Sounds more to me like they signed up for a triathalon without doing any god damn research.
  • Are you an experienced player? Do you have the 270s, 166s and/or 94s to beat it? Maybe you just cant put yourself in their place this time. D3 said it would be an event about cooperation, forcing the alliance to play together. But most of the alliances cant put it up because their members cant keep it up with the scaling this even has.
  • Arondite
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Are you an experienced player? Do you have the 270s, 166s and/or 94s to beat it? Maybe you just cant put yourself in their place this time. D3 said it would be an event about cooperation, forcing the alliance to play together. But most of the alliances cant put it up because their members cant keep it up with the scaling this even has.

Why should a rookie alliance get the same rewards as a veteran one? Lmfao.

They didn't say a rookie alliance can clear all 8 refreshes and win all the prizes available, but even my transitioning account is REAPING tokens and 3 Star rewards and HP. From both a Veteran account and transitioning account standpoint, this event has (thus far) been challenging yet rewarding.

My brother is a 2 Star player with a sprinkling of incomplete 3 Star character, and he told me he was loving this event and its rewards before I was ever able to play thanks to the massive server issues.

Have you considered that you (or the players you feel you speak on behalf of) are just a bit too entitled and feel that they should reap rewards that are not proportionate to their investment and capability? A few (very good) tokens from this event with perhaps a 3 Star progression or 2 sprinkled in is a very fine reward for a transitioner.
  • Why? Simply because they said this event would be about cooperation, not rankings. They REMOVED RANKINGS from this event with the premisse of being something to work as with a group, no external factors to worry about.

They COULD have made something that not the usual T100/150 alliances only could do, just a few tweaks on scalings and increase the scores instead of using the 1:1 ratio on Ultron's HP and they would have the perfect event for all players.

Making all the alliances work steadily for mostly perfect 8h clears, with less scaling or lower starting levels and give Ultron less HP while mantaining the scores, instead of making most of them falling apart as soon as half event in, if they hit that.

How about not excluding 95% of the playerbase on such a big event?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
    Round 1 to 5 Fun fun fun

Round 6 7 and 8

Welcome to THE MAJOR DEADPOOL DAILY JUMBO EVENT

if you cant do the Daily daily sorry but you will never get a kill on him past round 5

4 to 6k per hit is one hit kills
  • Arondite
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Why? Simply because they said this event would be about cooperation, not rankings. They REMOVED RANKINGS from this event with the premisse of being something to work as with a group, no external factors to worry about.

And all of that still holds entirely true.

Cooperation necessary? Check.
    No Rankings? Check.
    External Factors? Notably absent.
    ShionSinX wrote:
    They COULD have made something that not the usual T100/150 alliances only could do, just a few tweaks on scalings and increase the scores instead of using the 1:1 ratio on Ultron's HP and they would have the perfect event for all players.

They could have, sure, but I see literally no reason why they should have.

ShionSinX wrote:
    Making all the alliances work steadily for mostly perfect 8h clears, with less scaling or lower starting levels and give Ultron less HP while mantaining the scores, instead of making most of them falling apart as soon as half event in, if they hit that.

This isn't even a proper sentence, so I don't know how to go about tackling it.
    ShionSinX wrote:

95% of players are not excluded - players are just limited to different tiers of rewards based on what they as an individual and their alliance as a group are able to accomplish. Newbies will probably earn a couple of standard tokens and an Ultron Prize pack or two. 2 star players will probably see a few Prize packs, possibly a 3 Star if they are dedicated and found a dedicated alliance to partner with. Transitioners will pick up a sizeable number of prize packs, some HP, and some newer 3 star covers. 4 star players will get a sizeable amount of HP, sizeable prize packs and 1 of each power for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Not only is this not a problem, this is ideal prize tiering. Everyone is able to pull something useful out of this event for their individual tier of play if they
    - Put in an appropriate time investment
    - Have found an alliance with similar strength and time investment(s)
    - Play rather than whine on the forums about how they can't win the maximum prizes while having a roster that reflects a minimal time/monetary investment

There is one piece of information you seem to keep glossing over and ignoring, yet it's the most relevant and important one - there is no reason all players should reap the same rewards as all other players if said rewards are top-end. There is no reason a vet and a rookie should get the same thing for the same amount of play when one of the two has an end-game roster. What RPG are you playing where End-Game rewards are available to rookies? I don't know about the games you're coming off of, but when I play Destiny, I had to hit level 20 before I could win End Game gear and participate in Raids, etc. I don't hear level 5 players there complaining they can't win Raid Gear from the Vault of Glass/Crota's End, and they can't even try to run those events without having a substantial time investment prior to the attempt. I'm not talking about they're gated out by difficulty, I'm talking about the game doesn't even let you load it up.

You're barking up the wrong tree, rookie. Just accept the 20+ tokens you're gonna get and call it a day.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Why? Simply because they said this event would be about cooperation, not rankings. They REMOVED RANKINGS from this event with the premisse of being something to work as with a group, no external factors to worry about.

Think about the rewards. Do you think 2* rosters should be able to get top 5 in PVP allowing them four 3* characters? D3 doesn't believe they should, that is why PVP is properly scaled based on appropriate prizes for a roster. It ensures progress isn't too easy/fast.

It's the same for this event, lower end rosters should not be entitled to the six 3*s. Instead they will get the lower end of 2-3ish, which is appropriate for the growth of their rosters.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    Think about the rewards. Do you think 2* rosters should be able to get top 5 in PVP allowing them four 3* characters? D3 doesn't believe they should, that is why PVP is properly scaled based on appropriate prizes for a roster. It ensures progress isn't too easy/fast.

It's the same for this event, lower end rosters should not be entitled to the six 3*s. Instead they will get the lower end of 2ish, which is appropriate for the growth of their rosters.
    Yes, I think that a roster of 94s should have a shot at it. With more work of course, getting wiped sometimes, but doable.

Im not going to lose anything, but they would be getting. Its not like when I have to knock down people on the ranks, be it by taking their points or just bypassing their scores, to reach my own PvP/PvE rewards. Nodoby would lose anything, at all, if more people could get those prizes.
  • Dauthi
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

It's the same for this event, lower end rosters should not be entitled to the six 3*s. Instead they will get the lower end of 2ish, which is appropriate for the growth of their rosters.
    Yes, I think that a roster of 94s should have a shot at it. With more work of course, getting wiped sometimes, but doable.

Im not going to lose anything, but they would be getting. Its not like when I have to knock down people on the ranks, be it by taking their points or just bypassing their scores, to reach my own PvP/PvE rewards. Nodoby would lose anything, at all, if more people could get those prizes.

If you put yourself in the shoes of a veteran you would see these kind of events are the only real source of progress we are offered (new characters). I would estimate maybe 80% of the events held over a month offer nothing a veteran needs, while progress is nearly 100% consistent for 2*s who need any or almost any 3* character when they obtain it. In less words, veterans get progress in big chunks while newbies get progress consistently in small chunks. That is why we are entitled to more covers, this is all we get, don't take it away from us icon_e_wink.gif
  • But havent a lot of vets just quit after recent nerfs, while I also aways see another major group of them saying that they wont even care about PvE, because they can focus on PvP and shortly after get the same new characters with less overall effort?
  • Dauthi
    ShionSinX wrote:
    But havent a lot of vets just quit after recent nerfs, while I also aways see another major group of them saying that they wont even care about PvE, because they can focus on PvP and shortly after get the same new characters with less overall effort?

Yep, myself and many feel PVE that offers new characters is broken as it is an even playing field (and in some cases is easier for lower end rosters). It just isn't worth the effort to compete against 2*s, and feels unfair since 2*s would make just as much progress obtaining an older cover. It's sad when you wait 2-3 weeks for progress and the event offering it is biased towards low end rosters. I guess it's not a huge deal though, since PVE is hard work for few covers. The Ultron event and PVP make a lot more sense though in how they offer prizes.