Was it your plan to alienate new/casual players even more?

brisashi
brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Because that is one of this games biggest problems and this event makes it even worse.

We have a couple newer players in our alliance and they don't even have anything to do anymore in this event. How are players with just a few 2* characters supposed to beat these drones?

I get that its a very small % of players that support this game with lots of $$$, but if you push the rest of us away there won't be much of a game left.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, I thought it was their plan to alienate vet/hardcore players even more. They've managed to do both?
  • Umm... normally? I'm still beating Hawkeye nodes with nerfed Stormeto and I'm fairly sure I have higher scaling. IM, Black Widow, Thor, Hawkeye all have 1 and 2* variants, the only locked nodes requiring 3* are Quicksilver (winnable in event two weeks before) and Hulk. If you don't even have variable 2* roster, you might not get all 3 Scarlet Witch covers, but you should enjoy massive influx of tokens that will surely all help.
  • After a little while on the forum, I'm actually getting accustomed to reading, "If you had these specific characters covered specifically like this and leveled to this exact level, this would be totally easy and you'd be raking in the rewards" posts...

I don't even sigh anymore. Is that bad, or am I just learning to adjust my expectations? icon_lol.gif

DBC
  • newer players have it easier than ever. Can't you people just accept the fact that you won't "beat" everything in this game?
  • newer players have it easier than ever. Can't you people just accept the fact that you won't "beat" everything in this game?
    This -should- be a puzzle game. There should have always a way to do it, even if very hard and takes numerous attempts, and depends on a bit of luck (pray for RNGejus is you want).

But thats not true, and we all know that. Even late transitioners which wont have some specific characters or builds just cant make it, at all. No matter how hard you try, there are things impossible to do.

Sure, there are specific features for specific public, like PvP for more experienced players and DDQ for transitioners, but what is left for the newcomers? The prologue? Ok then you now have some complete 1*s and some incomplete 2*s, what you gonna do? PvE right? BOOM, Heroic with limited roster.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    newer players have it easier than ever. Can't you people just accept the fact that you won't "beat" everything in this game?
    This -should- be a puzzle game.

It's not though. It's a puzzle-RPG hybrid, and like RPGs leveling matters. Not every mode of the game needs to be as easy for new players as it is for veterans.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    Because that is one of this games biggest problems and this event makes it even worse.

We have a couple newer players in our alliance and they don't even have anything to do anymore in this event. How are players with just a few 2* characters supposed to beat these drones?

I get that its a very small % of players that support this game with lots of $$$, but if you push the rest of us away there won't be much of a game left.

Dude, not ALL events and features may include and benefit beginners, otherwise what's the point of advancing? Can we veterans have this one thing? That's why there's a concurrent Heroic PVE that I guarantee you will be entirely devoid of veterans allowing for easy placement and rewards for those who cannot participate in the Ultron event.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    Dude, not ALL events and features may include and benefit beginners, otherwise what's the point of advancing? Can we veterans have this one thing? That's why there's a concurrent Heroic PVE that I guarantee you will be entirely devoid of veterans allowing for easy placement and rewards for those who cannot participate in the Ultron event.
    Im pretty sure that the #1~2 and 1k prizes on PvP are not made for begginers, not even people half-way in. Nor is DDQ or some PvEs like, hey, Heroic. Its not that 'not all features' should be for begginers, is that each time MORE features are NOT for them.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    A lot of players on the forum have been asking for a boss battle and something very alliance driven compared to very individual with an alliance component. They are rotating the required characters and using most variants, it would be better with all. As the levels go up some people will get cut out of rewards. I think of this like the Gauntlet. Not everybody can finish it, and not everybody wants to finish it. The difference in this event has a much bigger alliance component. I am in round 6 and have used buffed characters, and non buffed characters to win. This event is much easier for really deep rosters as in the beginning it was really grindy but easy. Now in round 6 I might need to do 3 clears for my team for us to unlock Ultron prime. I look at it this way, as someon with a strong deep roster I can make up for some of my alliance mates who are struggling with real life or the nodes themselves. Since this is only day 2 and we are in round 6 I am assuming we are doing well, but I won't be sure until we clear all the nodes.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:

I've been using only 2 stars for ultron so I can save my 3* guts and their health packs for pvp. The only time my 3 stars are hitting the board is when they're essential.
  • Arondite
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Im pretty sure that the #1~2 and 1k prizes on PvP are not made for begginers, not even people half-way in. Nor is DDQ or some PvEs like, hey, Heroic. Its not that 'not all features' should be for begginers, is that each time MORE features are NOT for them.

I'm with you man. Most marathons are designed for people who can run an actual marathon. I've only been running for a few weeks now, but I think I should still be able to compete and finish with the more experienced runners in the future. That's why I feel the next time they host the Boston Marathon, it should be shortened to about a half mile. That way the veteran runners still finish of course, but I can finish equal to them with my weeks of experience.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Arondite wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I'm with you man. Most marathons are designed for people who can run an actual marathon. I've only been running for a few weeks now, but I think I should still be able to compete and finish with the more experienced runners in the future. That's why I feel the next time they host the Boston Marathon, it should be shortened to about a half mile. That way the veteran runners still finish of course, but I can finish equal to them with my weeks of experience.
    agree but lets not make an event where ( staying with the marathon theme) the runners fall down when they are tired. sure vets don't fall down as much but newer people are constantly falling down through out this event, sure they are "Helping" get through the marathon for the team but it is painful see them get through it.
  • Mithic
    Mithic Posts: 16
    I'm a transition player with no heroes above 94. I haven't had any problems with the event except I don't have quicksilver so I'm locked out of two nodes. For me my superstar has been 2* Thor. I don't see any reason a new player can't enjoy the event. Unless perhaps they just started and only have one stars.
  • Arondite
    Heartburn wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

agree but lets not make an event where ( staying with the marathon theme) the runners fall down when they are tired. sure vets don't fall down as much but newer people are constantly falling down through out this event, sure they are "Helping" get through the marathon for the team but it is painful see them get through it.

If you try to run a marathon you haven't properly prepared for and honed your body (roster) for, you should fall down. Lol.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    After a little while on the forum, I'm actually getting accustomed to reading, "If you had these specific characters covered specifically like this and leveled to this exact level, this would be totally easy and you'd be raking in the rewards" posts...

I don't even sigh anymore. Is that bad, or am I just learning to adjust my expectations? icon_lol.gif

DBC
    There's truth in this post, and I try not to make these kinds of posts, as they come off as condescending.

But there are quite a few combos that are effective in this event, even if you don't have the top option. My alliance mates and I are having great fun trying them out and reporting success (or entertaining wipeouts)
  • evil panda wrote:
    After a little while on the forum, I'm actually getting accustomed to reading, "If you had these specific characters covered specifically like this and leveled to this exact level, this would be totally easy and you'd be raking in the rewards" posts...

DBC
    There's truth in this post, and I try not to make these kinds of posts, as they come off as condescending.

But there are quite a few combos that are effective in this event, even if you don't have the top option. My alliance mates and I are having great fun trying them out and reporting success (or entertaining wipeouts)

Yeah, I probably should pay more attention to where I post, along with what I post...

FWIW, I pretty much never seek to condescend, more expressing a bit of frustration (at never seeming to have "what it takes), anxiety (about letting my alliance down), and humor (because life tends to be funny, if you look hard enough).

As for entertaining wipeouts? Yeah... had a couple of those. icon_redface.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Cheers!

DBC
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    [
    Arondite wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

If you try to run a marathon you haven't properly prepared for and honed your body (roster) for, you should fall down. Lol.[/quote]
    Just to pile on remember FAILURE IS ALWAYS AN OPTION icon_razz.gif
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    evil panda wrote:

DBC

Yeah, I probably should pay more attention to where I post, along with what I post...

FWIW, I pretty much never seek to condescend, more expressing a bit of frustration (at never seeming to have "what it takes), anxiety (about letting my alliance down), and humor (because life tends to be funny, if you look hard enough).

As for entertaining wipeouts? Yeah... had a couple of those. icon_redface.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Cheers!

DBC
    My apologies, I did not mean to say that your post that I quoted was condescending. I meant that the behavior you were talking about is condescending. In essence I was agreeing with you in general icon_e_smile.gif but disagreeing that this specific event can only be beaten with OP rosters

Sorry for the lack of clarity
  • Billigoat
    Billigoat Posts: 71
    Has nobody seen the normally scheduled PVE that's running along side this? Pair that with DDQ and the single player storyline and I think new players have plenty to do.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    brisashi wrote:
    How are players with just a few 2* characters supposed to beat these drones?
    Short answer: they're probably not. Much the same way not everyone can beat every stage of the Gauntlet.
    Long answer: Why the hell should they be able to? In what other game do you only have a few weak, starting characters and feel you should be able to take on a fight like this? And it's not as though the developers were inconsiderate enough to lock newer players out of a PvE altogether. See:

Billigoat wrote:
    Has nobody seen the normally scheduled PVE that's running along side this? Pair that with DDQ and the single player storyline and I think new players have plenty to do.

^ This. I'm not sure why people feel so entitled to be able to compete to the very end of everything, particularly when they're new. Right now there are two PvEs, a PvP, the shield simulator, DDQ, and all the prologue stuff (if not finished) available. Surely everyone can find something that fits their level / time invested in the game.

I've never met a player base that feels so strongly that it should have insta-access to all content possible, before. Particularly games with an RPG element. Yes, this is Match-3, but it's also about leveling up and getting better over time. As per... any other RPG out there.