New Marvel Puzzle Quest Update on Youtube

AnonymousMPQ
AnonymousMPQ Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion

Comments

• MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Can't wait to see how the Alliance interaction works.

Oh yeah, and... Yay, sirens!
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Holy cow this event sounds amazing. Not sure what the drawback of switching alliances is going to be?

The main point I saw was "Pick you alliance based on the fact that you feel confident everyone will grind and work together for prizes, otherwise you gotta carry their dead weight"

And from an alliance commander standpoint, you basically are trying to fill your 20 slots with the 20 most consistent performers, and once someone joins the event, you won't be able to sub them out for someone better.

Anyway, please comment if you interpreted the alliance rules any differently.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Interesting.

My first question is - scaling. Will there be any? Will a newb alliance fight the same battles as a vet alliance? I wish I had a sense of how hard it will be to complete this with a half-casual alliance. If 10 people play hard, but others are casual, do you have a chance to win the ultimate prizes? I fear there's going to be a lot of alliance destruction with this.
  • MarvelDestiny
    I have to agree there is potential for Alliance fallout from this. On the flipside though, since everyone is locked into the event it could focus your poor performers. If done right this event could knit a weak or fracturing Alliance together.

It also sounds like community ranking will not be in effect for this one so the whole point is Alliance interaction and hitting those progression awards. I really like this idea, it's a great mechanic and will be loads of fun. (Hopefully, scaling will be roster based in this scenario.)
  • Phumade
    Interesting.

My first question is - scaling. Will there be any? Will a newb alliance fight the same battles as a vet alliance? I wish I had a sense of how hard it will be to complete this with a half-casual alliance. If 10 people play hard, but others are casual, do you have a chance to win the ultimate prizes? I fear there's going to be a lot of alliance destruction with this.

IMHO, its not the scaling that is an issue, rather how consistent people are at playing every 8 hrs. Yes, I know people **** about how hard PVE scales, but I've always thought that playing on the 8hr schedule is much more outcome determinant. I have a max level roster, so I fight 300lvl opponents all the time. They are difficult, but it doesn't really stop me from completing a one time pass.

The video made it sound like each node is on a 8hr timer, so the key is to clear the node not repeatedly grind it. Anyway its all speculation on our parts until friday
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Phumade wrote:
    Holy cow this event sounds amazing. Not sure what the drawback of switching alliances is going to be?

The main point I saw was "Pick you alliance based on the fact that you feel confident everyone will grind and work together for prizes, otherwise you gotta carry their dead weight"

And from an alliance commander standpoint, you basically are trying to fill your 20 slots with the 20 most consistent performers, and once someone joins the event, you won't be able to sub them out for someone better.

Anyway, please comment if you interpreted the alliance rules any differently.

I think the main thing is not to switch anyone after they've started, and not to start the event until you are in the alliance you want to be in. Considering how this overlaps with the season end, alliances who switch members a lot should try to figure out their groups now before the event gets going.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Phumade wrote:
    Interesting.

IMHO, its not the scaling that is an issue, rather how consistent people are at playing every 8 hrs. Yes, I know people **** about how hard PVE scales, but I've always thought that playing on the 8hr schedule is much more outcome determinant. I have a max level roster, so I fight 300lvl opponents all the time. They are difficult, but it doesn't really stop me from completing a one time pass.

The video made it sound like each node is on a 8hr timer, so the key is to clear the node not repeatedly grind it. Anyway its all speculation on our parts until friday

You can play the main node up to 6 times every 8 hours if you have the roster to play those outer nodes, so either grinding will be important or the alliances that are full of grinders will finish really early.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Wow, so this is the 4th or so big news regarding upcoming events and characters shared in other websites and not a single one yet in the official forums. Understandable, though; the forums have become a cesspool of hatred and bitter tears that overflows at the slightest change, regardless of how positive or negative it is. If I were a dev I'd also be avoiding it for the sake of my sanity.
  • Is it just me or every video since they started to do seems to have ambulance sound in it?

Awesome update btw, can't wait!
  • MarvelDestiny
    Another thing I wonder about are all those players not in alliances. It sounds like they will not be able to participate in this event and that will suck.
  • MarvelDestiny
    DreadL0rd wrote:
    Is it just me or every video since they started to do seems to have ambulance sound in it?

Awesome update btw, can't wait!

Yep, every update video has had sirens in the background. The D3 team have said it's just because their office is on a busy street.
  • About not being able to swap alliances: if we join with one alliance, swap out but come back in before the event ends, will we still be in that alliance's leaderboard? Because Im part of an alliance family and we plan to have a group of 20 to make this even but leaving just to get our right PvP alliance by the end of each PvP then go back to the PvE alliance and keep beating Ultron shiny butt.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting to hear that Casey thinks that we undervalue Captain America.
  • Phumade
    Another thing I wonder about are all those players not in alliances. It sounds like they will not be able to participate in this event and that will suck.

I think they will be able to join the event, but they won't be able to finish the event. My suspicion is that the event is structured alot like DDQ. They will be able to do various nodes, but will never amass enough points to unlock the final progression. The tricky part is, if they start the event as a solo player, they will never be able to restart the event with an alliance.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am really looking forward to two things from this event. First and most importantly something different, and second something non-competitive. Kinda like how great Deadpool's Taco Thing is. For the same frickin' reasons! Everything sounds pretty neat, though. I am especially interested to see what the odds are for those special tokens. If they are indeed similar to the anniversary tokens then we will truly have something to be happy about. Those tokens, unlike every other non-taco token in this game, were pretty rad.

I am worried about a couple points, though. Having to use Quicksilver for two of the support pins? BOO! Not only does he pretty much suck, but spending health packs to revive his lame **** is going to be a major drag. Mechanically, if we need to stop Ultron's crazy bomb tile from reaching the bottom of the board, any power that shakes up the board can potentially doom you. That is not good, or happy, or fun. Hell, even a happy cascade could quickly turn to tears of frustration/rage. This worries me. It's nice that they are locking the leaderboards to stop alliance-hopping, but what if you're in an alliance with less than 20 people? I've seen speculation that the target numbers will be moderated, but it would be very nice to have someone in red clarify before this thing kicks off.
  • Mawtful wrote:

Yeah maybe 2* Cap but not 3* Steve. I'm actually quite concerned about Hawkeye. He's the only Avenger that doesn't have a 3* version meaning that not all of us would have in on our roster. I'm not really surprised that they want to promote Quicksilver, given that he's a new character and all.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    El Satanno wrote:
    This worries me. It's nice that they are locking the leaderboards to stop alliance-hopping, but what if you're in an alliance with less than 20 people? I've seen speculation that the target numbers will be moderated, but it would be very nice to have someone in red clarify before this thing kicks off.

This worries me too. If the leaderboard is fixed at 20 people, it implies that the score target is fixed, not moderated, so small Alliances may have a tough time finishing this, depending on how they've set the score target.

It sounds like an absolute blast, though.
  • Phumade
    dathremar wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

Yeah maybe 2* Cap but not 3* Steve. I'm actually quite concerned about Hawkeye. He's the only Avenger that doesn't have a 3* version meaning that not all of us would have in on our roster. I'm not really surprised that they want to promote Quicksilver, given that he's a new character and all.

How funny would it be if the required character is 1* Classic Hawkeye? LOL
  • Phumade wrote:
    How funny would it be if the required character is 1* Classic Hawkeye? LOL
    Actually they say "featured" and not "required" or "essential", so it could be loeaners.
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    It was really great to see how excited the devs were for this - Casey was really enthusiastic, which is making me all the more excited!