**** Iron Man (Hulkbuster) ****

Comments

• Yeah the good part is that amplifies the damage of everything right away including your red ("free" use), but still 1.5k damage to self is not that good. Scape Plan has the balanced way of things, because its a big strike tile that can be countered unlike Overdrive and Sacrifice, but no direct downside. Thats why hulkbuster blue also "generates" red AP but in a much safer (and unreliable) way.
  • Pretty easy to take offense when the game prevents you from playing the game, and the devs won't do anything to make it right, but WILL flaunt the prizes you won't be able to achieve due to THEIR mistakes.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulkbuster sounds amazing, but do you see why this might be a giant middle finger to the many people waiting for updates on the current event? You can't just keep blasting forward as if nothing's wrong.
    Yes they can. Business must continue despite the recent issues. Everything doesn't grind to a halt while they decide on what they're going to do to fix/compensate for the problems that have come up. They're working on making it as right as they can, but they still have a game and business to run so expect things to mostly be business as usual with announcements about the server issues coming when they have more to tell.
    Frustrated wrote:
    Pretty easy to take offense when the game prevents you from playing the game, and the devs won't do anything to make it right, but WILL flaunt the prizes you won't be able to achieve due to THEIR mistakes.
    Copied from another post:

Anyone that has been around the game and forums long enough knows that compensation for widespread issues like the ones we've recently experienced is always forthcoming and takes a few days to be sorted out to ensure everyone gets something substantial enough to be compensation, but not too much to be overbalancing. Comments like this in unrelated topics do nobody any good and border on trolling. So consider this a warning to the both of you, and anyone else, to keep your unproductive comments and rantings to the appropriate topics or more permanent measures will be taken.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone who pours money into hulkbuster clearly didn't learn their lesson with 4hor and xforce. This is the next op character to make major coin on that will get nerfed once d3 sees revenue dropping on the character.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was actually very lucky with a few Ultron pack token pulls. I got a red and a blue cover for IronMan Hulkbuster, (wow, that's a long name to type, so I'm just using IMHB, so to anyone already using that abreviation, I'm gonna steal it icon_lol.gif ), and used him in the IM essential nodes for Ultron event. I dont have his black yet, but with just his red and blue, I'll say this: IMHB is freaking awesome ! icon_e_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get this one covered and leveled up. And the animations are really neat as well.

If they don't nerf IMHB too much anytime soon, I forsee using him quite a bit. icon_twisted.gif And not just to bust me some Hulks, but any opponent that gets in my way! icon_twisted.gif
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's basically a combination of Ares and Juggernaut (with a splash of Sentry), hard to see how he won't be top tier.
  • Gordzilla
    Gordzilla Posts: 20
    All things aside, hulkbuster looks awesome!!!
  • I can't wait to max him.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    is it possible to call this guy fat iron man? sounds better than IMHB imo.
  • Gordzilla
    Gordzilla Posts: 20
    evil panda wrote:
    is it possible to call this guy fat iron man? sounds better than IMHB imo.

The little voice in my head reads IMBA when I see IMHB, similar as to how I always read Obiwan when I see OBW
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Okay guys, my videos are up now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M1NjueHLJ0 Analysis Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUYPVSjZ0A Match 1 - Hulkbuster, Steve Rogers, Iron Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t74jIgnNRHM Match 2 - Hulkbuster, Iron Fist, Prof X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uAVq7dSQA Match 3 - Hulkbuster, Cyclops, Prof X

My overall feelings are he is surprisingly well balanced. Could be a bit annoying fighting him, because he WILL get off a red in a match at some point with all that health. But since it is his only direct attack, you can kill him.
  • notamutant wrote:
    My overall feelings are he is surprisingly well balanced. Could be a bit annoying fighting him, because he WILL get off a red in a match at some point with all that health. But since it is his only direct attack, you can kill him.

After thinking about it some more, I'm guessing Overdrive is meant to be his best move so it should be compared to things like Sleight of Hand or Demolition, not Escape Plan even though the two are very similar. Recaliberating Overdrive with other top 4* abilities and he does look pretty balanced. I think my initial assumption is that Repulsor Punch is meant to be the power move (which I think isn't that powerful), which would mean his power move is likely below the curve but his second best move is way above the curve, until I realized that I got the order mixed up. Reranking his move in the order of Overdrive > Repulsor Punch > Hulk-Proof, Overdrive is probably slightly above the typical top tier 4* move, but Repulsor Punch might even be slightly below the curve compared to say Oldest Trick in the Book or Avengers Assemble/Escape Plan, while Hulk-Proof is pretty average for the weakest move.
  • notamutant
    Phantron wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

After thinking about it some more, I'm guessing Overdrive is meant to be his best move so it should be compared to things like Sleight of Hand or Demolition, not Escape Plan even though the two are very similar. Recaliberating Overdrive with other top 4* abilities and he does look pretty balanced. I think my initial assumption is that Repulsor Punch is meant to be the power move (which I think isn't that powerful), which would mean his power move is likely below the curve but his second best move is way above the curve, until I realized that I got the order mixed up. Reranking his move in the order of Overdrive > Repulsor Punch > Hulk-Proof, Overdrive is probably slightly above the typical top tier 4* move, but Repulsor Punch might even be slightly below the curve compared to say Oldest Trick in the Book or Avengers Assemble/Escape Plan, while Hulk-Proof is pretty average for the weakest move.

I agree. I had the same thoughts as you, but once I actually started playing with him, I found myself always going straight for Overdrive as my first move (or in the case of Iron Fist teams, creating blacks to use OD). It really teams up well with Iron Fist all around. OD is a great skill.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I think he does a bit too much damage considering his HP. His damage/ap ratio is very high for his red, possibly the highest with no strings attached (correct me if im wrong) at 630 damage/ap spent. You can also charge it like Ares to do tailored damage icon_e_surprised.gif He can generate ap for this move too. Then we have to consider he has the second highest HP in the game. I think this may be a bit much, but time will tell.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe Iron Fist would be a good pair for him. IF purple to accelerate buster black and strike tiles combo well with the free attack tile.
  • notamutant wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUYPVSjZ0A Match 1 - Hulkbuster, Steve Rogers, Iron Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t74jIgnNRHM Match 2 - Hulkbuster, Iron Fist, Prof X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uAVq7dSQA Match 3 - Hulkbuster, Cyclops, Prof X

Love the videos man, very rare to see good solid mpq videos.

One thing id say though, ease up on calling everything op, it doesnt sound good in the videos.
    you were saying it alot in the scarlet witch videos and in these ones as well.

Eg the interaction with prof x and the match 5 to produce red. Instead of saying that this further calls to nerf prof x continues, simply say that its a strong interaction that makes hulkbuster more playable.

Calling everything overpowered just because they interact well with another character doesnt make them overpowered
  • Anyone who pours money into hulkbuster clearly didn't learn their lesson with 4hor and xforce. This is the next op character to make major coin on that will get nerfed once d3 sees revenue dropping on the character.
    But they can never nerf Professor X and Hulkbuster and Iron fist at the same time. Right? Right?
    poomermon wrote:
    Maybe Iron Fist

Always Iron Fist.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was actually very lucky with a few Ultron pack token pulls. I got a red and a blue cover for IronMan Hulkbuster, (wow, that's a long name to type, so I'm just using IMH, so to anyone already using that abreviation, I'm gonna steal it icon_lol.gif ), and used him in the IM essential nodes for Ultron event. I dont have his black yet, but with just his red and blue, I'll say this: IMH is freaking awesome ! icon_e_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get this one covered and leveled up. And the animations are really neat as well.

If they don't nerf IMH too much anytime soon, I forsee using him quite a bit. icon_twisted.gif And not just to bust me some Hulks, but any opponent that gets in my way! icon_twisted.gif

Only have the blue ability, which can also be sent as a team up btw... loving it, especially in IM essential nodes. Wish i could send out more team ups so alliancemates get a chance to try it!
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Consolidating info so far:
    [anchor=wolverine4]Iron Man (Hulk Buster)[/anchor] icon_ironman.png
    4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Discussion link. Wiki link
    At Max Level: HP:17810 Tile damage: 11/82/64/10/11/73/3.5
      Repulsor Punch - Cost: 9 Red AP
      Iron Man pours his energy reserves into his next punch, using repulsors in his elbow for extra force. Depletes his teams Red AP, dealing 76 damage for each.
        Level 2. Deals 106 damage per AP Level 3. Level 4. Level 5.
      Max Level:
        Level 3: 270 damage per AP Level 4: 390 damage per AP Level 5: 630 damage per AP
        Overdrive - Cost: 11 Black AP
        Tony recklessly diverts power from his heart's Arc Reactor to give his suit more firepower. Deals 776 damage to Iron Man, but gains 5 Red AP and creates 2 Yellow Strike tiles of strength 64.
          Level 2. 2 strength 92 Strike tiles. Level 3. 2 strength ? Strike tiles Level 4. 2 strength ? Strike tiles Level 5. 2 strength ? Strike tiles
        Max Level:
          Level 3: Deals 1541 damage to Iron Man, gaining 6 Red AP, 2X183 strike tiles. Level 4: Deals 1541 damage to Iron Man, gaining 7 Red AP, 2X241 strike tiles. Level 5: Deals 1541 damage to Iron Man, gaining 9 Red AP, 2X354 strike tiles.
          Hulk-Proof - Cost: 9 Blue AP
          The Hulkbuster suit deploys Hulk countermeasures and powers up shielding, ready for incoming damage. Converts 4 basic Green tiles to Red and creates 1 blue Protect tile of strength 18.
            Level 2. Creates 2 Blue Protect tiles of strength 18. Level 3. Level 4. Level 5.
          Max Level:
            Level 3: Converts 5 green tiles and creates 3X36 protect tiles Level 4: Converts 5 green tiles and creates 3X45 protect tiles Level 4: Converts 7 green tiles and creates 3X72 protect tiles

ShionSinX wrote:
          Yeah the good part is that amplifies the damage of everything right away including your red ("free" use), but still 1.5k damage to self is not that good. Scape Plan has the balanced way of things, because its a big strike tile that can be countered unlike Overdrive and Sacrifice, but no direct downside. Thats why hulkbuster blue also "generates" red AP but in a much safer (and unreliable) way.
          1.5k self damage is next to nothing on someone who has almost 18k health. Black feeds into red either way. You'd only not max red if you're concerned about overkill, but 9X390 = 3510 isn't enough to kill most enemies at the 3* level, so I can't see not maxing red. 5 => 4 red is already at least a 2k damage difference.

Comparing black 11 AP to blue 9 AP, level 5 to 4, Overdrive generates 2 more AP direct, with + 2X113 (226) on the strikes, while hulk proof converts 2 more red tiles with 3X27 (81) on protect . Unless you're actively battling a green opponent and/or have cyclops/MNMags on your team, I'd take black despite the 4-match cost.
          5/5/3, unless level 3 => 4 blue is huge. --(edit saw lvl3 blue, totally not worth upgrading)
        • notamutant
          Earthcore wrote:
          notamutant wrote:

Love the videos man, very rare to see good solid mpq videos.

One thing id say though, ease up on calling everything op, it doesnt sound good in the videos.
          you were saying it alot in the scarlet witch videos and in these ones as well.

Eg the interaction with prof x and the match 5 to produce red. Instead of saying that this further calls to nerf prof x continues, simply say that its a strong interaction that makes hulkbuster more playable.

Calling everything overpowered just because they interact well with another character doesnt make them overpowered

Thanks for the advice. I will try to improve my videos for next time. Let me know if you have any other suggestions on formatting, length of videos, how in-depth the analysis video should be, etc. I called the moves OP half jokingly (in this video, Scarlet Witch was a different story when teamed up with Prof X).