Final DDQ survival node team strategy/composition discussion

PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I try to use a variety of teams for the DDQ final survival node. Falcon is always its backbone, as this is an environment where he shines. However, I wiped horribly tonight, but I did receive an important revelation:

Even if you have enough Protect tile strength to reduce Punisher's Retribution damage to 1, he will still down a team member with less < x% health!

I decided to use level 70 (5/2/5) IW, 151 Falcon (5/5/3), 166 Blade(4/5/4). I wiped horribly the first time, due to a disastrous first round that left Blade and Falcon at < 40% health. I felt confident I could motor through the second round, because i had > 1500 worth of protect tiles on the board thanks to IW & Inspiration. Punisher with > 20 red quickly proved me horribly wrong. It didn't help that the match started with 3 red on the board, and I never managed to land a single thirst tile. Invisible Woman didn't last long by herself.

Second round, I tried the same team. Four red this time at the start. *Sigh*, but I managed to start building red in the third wave, enough to land several thirst tiles. I was dealing >5k damage a turn from Blade's attack tiles on the final wave, and it was over quickly.

Does anyone else try to mix up team composition for added fun/challenge on the final node? What's the craziest team you've managed to beat the final node with? Please share any horror stories of humiliating defat or "Holy **** I beat it with Bagman, Beast, and Doc Ock" victory tales.

Comments

• When I am feeling like a challenge I bust out team 2*. Storm, Thor, Hawkeye.

Collect yellow, Thunderstrike into Speed Shot, and use Storm to get Green AP into other AP. Use Windstorm when able and Blast Arrow/CtS for team damage when appropriate.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally stick to Hood, Cmags LThor. By the time I get to the final node I have 30 green and 30 blue. It might be a little overkill, but I generally don't take damage.
    My old team was she hulk, Xforce Hood and I had she hulk to convert CD tiles. So sad her buff ruined her against most goons.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't varied from Patch-Loki-Panther since about the 2nd or 3rd round. I used XForce-Cap-OBW for a good chunk early, but I was using XForce so much I wanted a break. PLP cuts through every node with little to no effort required.

Even today's with the stupid attack tile ninjas, I just switch up the strategy. Normally I don't bother flipping with Trickery, but here I'll let Muscle throw out a couple threaten tiles, use Berzerker then Trickery, and that's the end of the attack tile problem for the rest of the game. From there it's just reload black and let Panther do the rest.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The key is to remember that if you finish off the last goon in rd3 with a power you will still have the turn at the beginning of rd 4. I use OBW, 3* cap marvel and Lcap.

I sandbag the last, least dangerous goon in rd three just looking to top off ap. I finish off the last goon with capm's black but before I do that I fire off obw's aggressive recon twice. When rd 4 starts i either use cap blue or or carol black to stun deadpool. Then I get rid of whoever's dangerous or a nuisance like hood or black panther or bag lady. I save the weaklings like xforce or colossus for last. Having enough ap to use lcap's red twice makes mincemeat of the team.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I usually go with Patch, LCap and Falcon. Although sometimes I'll substitute Luke Cage for Patch just for fun. Patch is great as long as you don't get Teisatsus. They severely limit your ability to use Berserker Rage because of their attack tiles.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Big Enchilada node I favor L.Cap, GSBW, & Hood. 1st wave is always goons, so I just collect AP, besides using Caps throws to stun and take out that odd countdown tile, I try not to use ANY AP during this round till I'm about to finish the final goon. I'll usually finish off the last goon with Intimidation so that the fresh round of actual characters don't get to move before I pop off a Sniper Rifle followed by whatever else is ready to fire. If I don't finish them all off, the last one standing is usually stunned for too long to ever make a move. Another goon round, I'm usually a bit more free with my AP this time as I've grown impatient, Twin Pistols is usually overflowing at 30 AP by now, so I might as well take down one of you three with it. Close out the goon round like the last one with Intimidate, and the fresh meat is now standing patiently for the next Sniper Rifle shot.

Unless I've been careless as the goon rounds end, I usually walk out without a scratch.

I play Under the Sea in a similar manner using M.Mags, C.Storm, & M.Hawk, they take a little more damage from those pesky goons and usually take a single match from the opposing hero as the 2nd round starts, but usually about the same results.
  • I always go with OBW, 2* Cap and 2* Wolvie. icon_neutral.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I've been using Grocket, LCap, and Mohawk Storm. Grocket soaks up damage in the first round while I'm charging up, I chain Lightning Storm at the end of each wave to complete it, and gather AP. I use SSA for the primary damage output for rounds 1-3, and Peacemaker when required. I usually set off I Gotta Plan during round 3 in preparation for round 4. With all the chain Lightning Storms, I usually have 30AP of everything by the time round 4 rolls around. I then Lightning Storm and MotE two of the enemies down to 4000 or so health (which is pretty easy with Grocket's strike tiles), then SSA them all into oblivion (along with blanketing the field with multiple Hailstorms, just for amusement).
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Punisher, Falcon and Daken or Blade. Daken's more reliable.

The key is get falcon 5 blue, then work on creating strike tiles with daken and buffing them with falcon yellow. Stash away any black you collect for the non good rounds.

In non goon rounds just throw molitovs for ~2k damage if you have enough buffed tiles out there.

By round 4 you should have enough strike and attack tiles courtesy of Daken and the molitovs that things just die.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have used Hood/DP every single day. I used to pair them with XF and basically never took damage, now I pair them with LThor and take light damage.

Hood yellow to control goon tiles if necessary, but primarily going Hood-black to finish off goon nodes, CoTS and whales immediately in main nodes. Usually I can go into the final round and need only DP to finish it off: slice each member once, whales (whales again if necessary).

I plan on using GrumpySmurf's team (Loki/Patch/Panther) as a backup if I ever get unlucky and wipe.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    My go-to is Panther/LThor/Deadpool. Normal tile manipulation into Thunder Strike to end round 1, crush round 2 with Call the Storm / Rage of the Panther / Whales! if necessary, tile manipulation and AP hoarding on round 3 followed by Mjolnir's Might or Thunder Strike to end round 3, crush round 4 with CtS/RotP/Whales as required.

My only losses from this team come when I can't generate any usable AP pools or I get nickle-and-dimed to death by the Muscle/Ninja pairs.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Cap/BP/Fat Thor

Stockpile AP against goons, crush heroes/villains, repeat

You don't really need a strategy with that team
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use the same team almost every day:

Patch, Lazy Cap, OBW.

The only way this team gets into trouble is if there is absolutely no blue or red available during the first goon wave.

Otherwise you collect blue/red, throw down a lazy cap defense tile or two, and then lazy cap red all the goons to death. and you can always make a red or green match to put patch out in front if an enemy countdown tile does happen to go off.

shield stun stun the most dangerous of the 3 enemies in wave 2, and shield bash the rest into oblivion, using berserker rage to finish on the last one and populate the board with strike tiles.

By wave 3 you will generally have 3-6 lazy cap protect tiles out, and all of patch's strike tiles. then I try to get as many black/purple matches as possible to double dip on the strike tiles. OBW does 2.2K+ per match after 1 berserker rage. and with 1.5k or more of protect tiles on the board, you can basically ignore any attacks that the wave 4 enemies can offer.

I can only remember one time when I had to try a different team: the Wave 1 goons had a don or two that created a massive pool of blue ap. And the wave 2 enemies had a really nasty blue user waiting to go off (i think it was cmags). For that one day, I used blade instead of OBW. his green countdown sucked up all the blue ap as fast as the goons generated it, so I didn't have to worry about any nasty powers in wave 2 or beyond.
  • My everyday team is Patch + Blade + Loki. Make a couple Nightstalker tiles then just keep Berserking + Trickerying and Blades purple w/e I have enough AP.
  • Baddkitty
    Baddkitty Posts: 67
    I go for OBW - Area - MnThor . OBW is a no brainer. Thor feeds himself some yellow, but the yellow feeds Ares onslaught if i need to oneshot someone, or Storm to break up board and generate ap. By round 4 , i'm maxed ap and AI usually only gets one turn (since they're up first)

But this team isn't good for The Hand. I can't seem to make a good team (with my roster) to beat them. I've won a few times, once with ONLY groot and healing completely every few turns and he lasted the whole last two rounds by himself. It took FOREVER!
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    The Big Enchilada node I favor L.Cap, GSBW, & Hood.

This is my team too. I love the rainbow of powers so it's not board dependent ( blueflag.pngredflag.png for Cap, greenflag.pngpurpleflag.png for BW, yellowflag.pngblackflag.png for Hood) and each charcter can destroy goon/special tiles. LCap can even provide stuns and defense tiles for pesky characters like Hulk or the ninjas' Turn to Smoke. The only drawback with the team is that it is slow to get started. I've had goon countdowns resolve in the first wave a few times before enough AP was collected (no major damage, but annoying). Usually, however, I'll leave the node having taken 0 damage.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulk, Steve, OBW. Erryday.

Usually by the end of the second wave I've got enough blue and yellow protects out that everyone is taking 1 match damage, and even abilities struggle to hurt them.

The best was the time when Black Panther came on in the 4th wave and busted out RotP straight away. It did around 50 points. LOL
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_humantorch.png is great, you can stockpile 12+ greentile.png AP fairly easily during the goon waves, and the fireballs are great at burning down a single target fast
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until I sold mnmags for hp, I was using 2* thor/mnmags/cstorm almost every day, and never had any trouble. After I sold him, I put obw in his place and it worked great too.

This week I've been changing things up for amusement. I used Grocket/Cage/Kamala today to pick up Doc Ock, and it was nice and relaxing.
    * You do need the stun on black. It does a lot of work for me in delaying countdowns/enemy attacks or holding off an enemy move to collect the last bit of ap I need or to let Grocket's Plan activate.

Grocket/Cage are working well for me in pvp too. They're like Duracel Murderbunnies and just keep going on and on and pounding on the opposition without needing any health packs themselves.
  • Tanarus
    Tanarus Posts: 30
    I use Patch, Falcon, Black Panther. It's a team with a power in each color, plus three passives.

First priority is five blue for Falcon's Redwing, to clear out countdown tiles (and later purple strike tiles). Yellow is used for Battleplan, then to boost strike and defense tiles. Patch's green comes out when I can make at least one purple match, and purple goes towards Bird Strike. Wolvie's Red is usually used as the last move in a goon wave for the free first hit against tile matchers, and Panther's black is Panther's black.

With all the strike tiles on the board, I'm usually doing 2,500 damage per match and taking 1 damage from attacks thanks to Inspiration after Bird Strike. On the last wave, nothing usually lasts after one or two Rage of the Panthers anyway.