Thank you, MPQ Devs :)

Options
Puritas
Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
edited January 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'd actually been looking around for a new game for the last couple weeks, since I'd gotten to the point that MPQ felt stale:
Nothing would really outclass my wolverine and thor, and maxing my 3-star covers was more for **** and giggles and situational competitions than anything else.

Enter in lack of anyone using all-color boosts, character rebalances, defense team actually meaning more (only gotta get lucky once!) and more level 230 pve fights... and things are looking interesting again, with more room for skill than mindless build-6-red-and-6-green-cya-noob. I'm actually interested in playing more often now, and working on more interesting lineup combos icon_e_smile.gif

Now if only that shield making you untargetable in pvp silliness wasn't going on icon_razz.gif

edit: also I realize that the respec option is a lot of work that still isn't ready, but the resell option just is a poor alternative when the entire playerbase had builds that are no longer optimal

Comments

• I actually wanted to chime in here too.

I'm so tired of hearing whiny comments all day. The dev team as well as the support team is amazing and actually listening.

Twice now I've submitted something to support and they have made it right both times.

They are clearly listening and doing what they can. I don't know how many other players here play other mobile games - but trust me - you dont get their ear and they certainly don't give a **** about you.

This is one of the few games where you can truly go no in app paid - and still have a great experience.
  • Every gaming board is like that. I suspect this game runs on a balance model based on statistics. As in, I don't think they started out with a clear vision of what's balanced (or Wolverine 2* should have never existed in his original incarnation), but they can collect data and see that everyone and their brother is using Wolverine. Likewise the boosts are terribly overpowered so clearly whoever designed it didn't think much, but I'm sure they've data showing people chugging down AP+3 boosts like drug addicts and that helps them define what's wrong so they can fix it. There are quite a few dubious changes I've seen in the game but if you collect enough data, it'll eventually tell you what's working and what is not.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Every gaming board is like that. I suspect this game runs on a balance model based on statistics. As in, I don't think they started out with a clear vision of what's balanced (or Wolverine 2* should have never existed in his original incarnation), but they can collect data and see that everyone and their brother is using Wolverine. Likewise the boosts are terribly overpowered so clearly whoever designed it didn't think much, but I'm sure they've data showing people chugging down AP+3 boosts like drug addicts and that helps them define what's wrong so they can fix it. There are quite a few dubious changes I've seen in the game but if you collect enough data, it'll eventually tell you what's working and what is not.

The problem with just using in game data is that you could probably interpret it however you wanted and to justify almost any change. The reaction of the forum members on the whole, while a vocal minority in terms of the overall player base, should be enough to suggest when a change has gone too far.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Every gaming board is like that. I suspect this game runs on a balance model based on statistics. As in, I don't think they started out with a clear vision of what's balanced (or Wolverine 2* should have never existed in his original incarnation), but they can collect data and see that everyone and their brother is using Wolverine. Likewise the boosts are terribly overpowered so clearly whoever designed it didn't think much, but I'm sure they've data showing people chugging down AP+3 boosts like drug addicts and that helps them define what's wrong so they can fix it. There are quite a few dubious changes I've seen in the game but if you collect enough data, it'll eventually tell you what's working and what is not.

Yeah, I'm sure most of the decisions are based primarily on statistics. Much of the rest based on what they envision for their ideal game.
  • Honestly, don't even pretend to support a ridiculous patch such as this. I've spend real money on this game and all of it has been stolen by the devs in this update. If you want to play the character rebalance game, feel free, just learn to REIMBURSE EVERY SINGLE ISO-8 to the people who spent time and money leveling their team. How can it be remotely fair to ruin a team composition and say tough luck, all those hours and dollars are now wasted. Don't like it? Too bad, we don't care about our clients.

I'll say this very clearly, I don't care if they completely cripple Thor (who now, at level 85 does less damage than Ironman at Level 50), Wolverine and any other character they feel like "rebalancing". What is equivalent to theft is not allowing players to spend their hard earned ISO-8 on another team to enjoy the game. Return the full 100,000 Iso it cost to level Cap Thor or Wolverine and see how many players still want to use your "Balanced" Thor and Wolverine. Devs, you already made money from me, why not allow me to enjoy the game and play different Heroes?

As I don't believe the Devs will own up to their mistakes, I've already petitioned the Steam store for a full refund and I recommend that everyone does the same. Either they return ALL of our ISO-8 and hero coins so we may spend them on something that actually works now or we leave WITH OUR MONEY!

Best regards,
    NazgulPrime
  • Good luck. I can see the Steam Store happily helping you.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Honestly, don't even pretend to support a ridiculous patch such as this. I've spend real money on this game and all of it has been stolen by the devs in this update. If you want to play the character rebalance game, feel free, just learn to REIMBURSE EVERY SINGLE ISO-8 to the people who spent time and money leveling their team. How can it be remotely fair to ruin a team composition and say tough luck, all those hours and dollars are now wasted. Don't like it? Too bad, we don't care about our clients.

I'll say this very clearly, I don't care if they completely cripple Thor (who now, at level 85 does less damage than Ironman at Level 50), Wolverine and any other character they feel like "rebalancing". What is equivalent to theft is not allowing players to spend their hard earned ISO-8 on another team to enjoy the game. Return the full 100,000 Iso it cost to level Cap Thor or Wolverine and see how many players still want to use your "Balanced" Thor and Wolverine. Devs, you already made money from me, why not allow me to enjoy the game and play different Heroes?

As I don't believe the Devs will own up to their mistakes, I've already petitioned the Steam store for a full refund and I recommend that everyone does the same. Either they return ALL of our ISO-8 and hero coins so we may spend them on something that actually works now or we leave WITH OUR MONEY!

Best regards,
    NazgulPrime

+1

And to the people who wants to bash the other players and praise the devs. Know that the only people that is keeping this game alive are the paying customers like ourselves that really paid a huge investment for rest of you freeloaders to play. whose keeping this game alive?

See where the game ends up when we 'whiners' are gone and you are only left with freeloaders!
  • And what about those paying customers who actually do not ragequit or flounce over these changes? I myself have paid in quite a bit for those "freeloaders" to have a game.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Common wrote:

+1

And to the people who wants to bash the other players and praise the devs. Know that the only people that is keeping this game alive are the paying customers like ourselves that really paid a huge investment for rest of you freeloaders to play. whose keeping this game alive?

See where the game ends up when we 'whiners' are gone and you are only left with freeloaders!

I'm sorry that my money is not as good as yours icon_e_sad.gif especially since I clearly need to rely on ** heroes to win matches
  • Hey, you guys created your own MMR island of positivity.

Better throw your shields up.
  • Common wrote:
    +1

We'll end up with a game that's closer to being properly balanced and more people possibly throwing money at the game, or at least that's the most we can hope for.
    I only ended up throwing money into this game as a result of how much time I spent playing it.
    Going back to reality, I guess it was a waste since this game is going to go under when you guys leave and this game shuts down.
  • Statistics is fairly absolute assuming the guy interpreting them doesn't have ulterior agendas. This isn't like 'survey says 75% of players support the boost change'. You can indeed literally create any kind of statistics like that. The Thor/Wolverine combo is so rampant that I'm sure they can see like 75% of people who have Thor/Wolverine uses them over other 2* characters, and even over most 3* characters (they obviously know what levels and what characters you have). Now unless the original vision is "Everyone should use Thor and Wolverine because they're awesome", that's enough to tell you somewhere along the line you screwed up and should start over.

Likewise I'm sure they keep track of how often boosts are bought and consequently they'll know how often it's consumed (though they should already know this anyway). You can easily found out that people are just chugging them down nonstop since that's what I was doing the whole time. You don't need to ask players or anything. You can see they suffer withdrawls from their boosts like drug addicts, so you know there's something wrong with them. Now I don't know if making AP+3 cost 100 HP is the right way to fix it, but it's definitely one way to address the problem.

I won't say all the changes are the right way to change the game, but it's pretty obvious they know what needs to be changed. The change is not always for the better (see various iterations of shield/progression costs), but they're definitely responding to easily observeable metrics. Progression rewards are initially too hard. I'm sure they notice nobody has ever gotten the 4* rewards prior to shields, so they added shields to fix that. Then it became obviously too easy, so they try to fix that. Currently it looks like it's impossible to obtain (again), and sooner or later we'll see some more changes toward making them more accesible again. And then maybe it goes too far and it gets nerfed again. Nobody ever said devs are perfect, but the changes shows that the issues are being addressed, even if people cannot agree whether the changes are the right way.
  • I bet free loaders won't complain that much, nor the big whales (since the pay to win scheme helps them overcome the nerfs and nonsense with the huge roster and ISO-buffed covers).

The majority of people complaining in the forums, my personal guess, is people who has spend a "small" amount of money, something between 2$ and 30$. People who thought that amount of money OUGHT to be enough to support a mobile game, and honestly, it should.

Also, things that you buy in this game, you do not feel you are buying them because you WANT to buy them, that will make the game more fun to you. No, you buy them because you NEED to, for cover slots or boosts or increasing cover power or whatnot. I'm sitting on (I know measly) 2K HP simply because I won't spend any more money on something that feels like a drug dealer rather than me having fun with something new.

Other people have said it elsewhere, this game is truly a gem in the core of it, without the greedy F2P scam scheme it is becoming, and that is why people are so pissed (like myself). I have had a great time playing it in the past, and that's why the vitriol spurs easily: something that was so much fun and I invested money (on things I felt I didn't really want to spend money on but rather needed to) is turning us into cows to milk, it doesn't feel great.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    so what's up with all the whine?

everybody knew that the thorverine nerf was coming for weeks, and IMO the nerf's a lot better than rag for instance. Wolverine is still ar good **-Char.

As for the 'freeloaders', you seem to make the mistake to believe that

a) non-paying players are 'freeloaders' to begin with.
    b) all or even a large portion of the paying customers feel like you. I for one am quite happy with the game, and even though I don't like some of the changes, all added up they improve the game rather than ruin it.

Also, i have this - admittedly old fashioned - idea that the point of this game is not to have the most devastating team but to have fun playing...

Every change will piss of someone, that's in the nature of change. But stagnation would be the fastest way to kill this game...
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    Options
    Seconded.

I love the changes, nerfing Thor and Wolverine brings with it far more interesting team combinations.

Also love essentially getting rid of the boosts, brings far more strategy to the matches and highlights characters that take a little longer to get going (model 40, doctor doom)
  • Common wrote:
    Honestly, don't even pretend to support a ridiculous patch such as this. I've spend real money on this game and all of it has been stolen by the devs in this update. If you want to play the character rebalance game, feel free, just learn to REIMBURSE EVERY SINGLE ISO-8 to the people who spent time and money leveling their team. How can it be remotely fair to ruin a team composition and say tough luck, all those hours and dollars are now wasted. Don't like it? Too bad, we don't care about our clients.

Best regards,
    NazgulPrime

+1

lol - "you freeloaders".

Anytime you wanna whip out itunes receipts and compare - I'd gladly welcome a e-peen/money spent comparison showdown.
    Pretty sure you've just ousted yourself as the cheap **** since you're riding the coat tails of 2 star heroes.

I was just implying that this game - I don't feel forced to pay as much as other games. There is ton of play to be had without spending any money if you choose to.

On the points of thor doing less dmg - you do realize his skill grant him AP right?

Wish you spent as much time making coherent points as crying about your money down the drain.
  • Also, things that you buy in this game, you do not feel you are buying them because you WANT to buy them, that will make the game more fun to you. No, you buy them because you NEED to, for cover slots or boosts or increasing cover power or whatnot. I'm sitting on (I know measly) 2K HP simply because I won't spend any more money on something that feels like a drug dealer rather than me having fun with something new.

You actually do not need them to play the game. You can play with the basics.

If you replace the "you" with "I" in your quoted passage, it is a more valid observation.
  • Jester Day wrote:
    Also, things that you buy in this game, you do not feel you are buying them because you WANT to buy them, that will make the game more fun to you. No, you buy them because you NEED to, for cover slots or boosts or increasing cover power or whatnot. I'm sitting on (I know measly) 2K HP simply because I won't spend any more money on something that feels like a drug dealer rather than me having fun with something new.

You actually do not need them to play the game. You can play with the basics.

If you replace the "you" with "I" in your quoted passage, it is a more valid observation.

Exactly - you do not NEED to buy covers and you can earn HP from a lot of different ways. The only reason you would feel the NEED is if you valued your time at more valuable than the amount of time it took you to grind HP for those cover slots.

Plenty have admitted to spending no HP. I personally have the spare revenue to be able to spend what I'd like.
  • I haven't spend any money on the game yet but that's because I prefer to play the game so I'm not going to pay to take away my future enjoyment, and that it seems risky to spend money while the fate of several characters that requires a very large investment is uncertain.
  • Common wrote:

Best regards,
    NazgulPrime

+1

I have sunk money into this game, and I'm quite happy I did, since it seems like this is one of the few companies which is actually listening to customer feedback and taking steps to balance their game, rather than catering to a loud minority of ingrates who cannot adapt to change.