Interim character rankings - the results

thedude
thedude Posts: 55
Postby daibar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:54 pm

After removing the 5 default votes (keeping other anger votes), the new rankings are:

1 4* Wolverine (X-Force)
2 3* Thor
3 4* Thor
4 4* Professor X
5 3* The Hood
6 4* Nick Fury
7 3* Daken
8 3* Iron Fist
9 3* Wolverine (Patch)
10 3* Blade
11 3* Black Panther
12 3* Magneto (classic)
13 3* Luke Cage
14 3* Captain America
15 3* Loki
16 3* Deadpool
17 3* Hulk
18 3* Cyclops
19 4* Kingpin
20 3* Rocket and Groot
21 3* Kamala Khan
22 3* Doctor Doom
23 3* Human Torch
24 4* Devil Dinosaur
25 3* Falcon
26 4* Star-lord
27 3* Punisher
28 3* Captain Marvel
29 4* Electra
30 3* Black Widow (grey suit)
31 3* Daredevil
32 3* Mystique
33 3* Psylocke
34 3* Colossus
35 2* Black Widow (original)
36 3* Sentry
37 3* Storm (Mohawk)
38 3* Gamora
39 3* Squirrel Girl
40 3* Spider-Man
41 3* Iron Man (Model 40)
42 2* Ares
43 2* Storm (classic)
44 3* She-Hulk
45 2* Thor
46 3* Ragnarok
47 2* Magneto (Marvel Now)
48 2* Daken
49 2* Wolverine (Astonishing)
50 3* Doctor Octopus
51 4* Invisible Woman
52 3* Beast
53 2* Captain Marvel
54 2* Hawkeye (modern)
55 2* Human Torch
56 1* Juggernaut
57 2* Captain America
58 2* Moonstone
59 2* Bullseye
60 1* Storm (modern)
61 1* Black Widow (Modern)
62 1* Iron Man (Model 35)
63 1* Venom
64 1* Hawkeye (classic)
65 2* Bag Man
66 1* Yelena Belova

Changes:
3* and 4* Thor swap places. 4* Thor was affected by one anger vote at 61st place (the person ranked most other heroes reasonably). New characters Prof X(+2), IF(+5), Luke Cage (+2), Kamala Khan (+1), Star-lord(+4) bump up. Cyclops and Kingpin swap. Torch inches ahead of Devil Dino.

=====
Interesting tidbits, when separated by region:
US:
Captain America ranks 1 place higher in the US, above Luke Cage. Kamala Khan -3. Daredevil +3. Star-Lord -4. GBSW -2. Storm(+1) & Sentry(-1) swap. TDaken(+1), MNMags(-1) swap. Juggernaut (+3) over Cap Marvel, Hawkeye, and Torch.

Canada: (only 12 votes, so take this with a grain of salt)
Canada still values 4* above 3* thor. Fury ranks 4th above Prof X. Kingpin is 10th, with IF 19th? MNMags ranked highly at 7th. StarLord (+14) to 12th! Cage (-2) Khan (-5). Squirrel Girl (+2) (are there more squirrels in Canada?) IW up 7 places to 44th.

I'm wondering if some of this is a reflection of the media in each of the countries, for example the release of the new Daredevil series. I haven't watched it yet, so don't know if it's any good.

Honestly, the margin between 3* and 4* Thor is razor thin. I think if you remove the anger votes over the nerf, 4* Thor would come out on top.
=====
Edit:
Added comments to my post on first page with heat map: viewtopic.php?p=330678#p330678

I don't like trusting my life to the winds. It's a different story if we cause the winds.
daibar
S.H.I.E.L.D. Psi-Ops Agent

So the great nerf will probably render these immediately obsolete, but 116 people voted so this is for them - apart from the 2 who were obviously trying to distort the results. I have left their figures in, if anyone wants the excel data pm with details of how to post it.

1 4* Wolverine (X-Force)
2 4* Thor
3 3* Thor
4 3* The Hood
5 4* Nick Fury
6 4* Professor X
7 3* Daken
8 3* Wolverine (Patch)
9 3* Blade
10 3* Black Panther
11 3* Magneto (classic)
12 3* Iron Fist
13 3* Captain America
14 3* Loki
15 3* Luke Cage
16 3* Deadpool
17 3* Hulk
18 4* Kingpin
19 3* Cyclops
20 3* Rocket and Groot
21 3* Doctor Doom
22 3* Kamala Khan
23 4* Devil Dinosaur
24 3* Human Torch
25 3* Falcon
26 3* Captain Marvel
27 3* Punisher
28 3* Black Widow (grey suit)
29 3* Daredevil
30 4* Star-lord
31 3* Mystique
32 4* Electra
33 3* Psylocke
34 3* Colossus
35 2* Black Widow (original)
36 3* Sentry
37 3* Storm (Mohawk)
38 3* Gamora
39 3* Spider-Man
40 3* Squirrel Girl
41 3* Iron Man (Model 40)
42 2* Ares
43 2* Storm (classic)
44 3* She-Hulk
45 2* Thor
46 3* Ragnarok
47 2* Magneto (Marvel Now)
48 2* Daken
49 2* Wolverine (Astonishing)
50 3* Doctor Octopus
51 4* Invisible Woman
52 3* Beast
53 2* Hawkeye (modern)
54 2* Captain Marvel
55 2* Human Torch
56 1* Juggernaut
57 2* Captain America
58 2* Moonstone
59 2* Bullseye
60 1* Storm (modern)
61 1* Black Widow (Modern)
62 1* Iron Man (Model 35)
63 1* Venom
64 1* Hawkeye (classic)
65 2* Bag Man
66 1* Yelena Belova

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Since it looks like mischiefmaker is retiring (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27122), your survey may not be so interim after all...

Best of luck to mm and thanks for all the hard work on this in the past
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    rixmith wrote:
    Since it looks like mischiefmaker is retiring (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27122), your survey may not be so interim after all...

Best of luck to mm and thanks for all the hard work on this in the past

Welp, if he retires I guess the people who don't like my system will have to put their money where their mouth is.

On topic: my votes: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25844#p318510

LOL the guy who is still posting in my thread even tho he said I'm unqualified followed me here and he's downvoting me.

Some people have nothing better to do, eh?
  • Thanks, Dude, for getting something going. Looking forward to results.
  • I have been playing this gané under different accounts for over a year, bit i had to registre just to say whoever is downvoting this is <-- Insult removed. Please read the forum rules before posting again. -->. This Man is trying to do something while you sit there and whine about an imaginary system which doesnt exist. This post would have more explicit terminology but i cant use it since i am not sure of what gets you banned. That is all.
  • Frailezim
    Frailezim Posts: 68
    Thanks for attempting this OP.

A few constructive criticisms though. Can you randomize the list in any way? As you will get design bias listing the characters in order based on previous versions. Is there a way to create a blank list 1-x and make the names drop and drag from a cloud in some way? What would also be interesting is to see ownership of said listed characters. Is there the opportunity to add a follow on question.

There are a few angles to take on this, as if I had to list characters I own and consider the best Black Widow would be top ten easily. Especially if you consider her power in PVE. Maybe you should put this on hold and get some feedback on your design?
  • thedude
    thedude Posts: 55
    Frailezim wrote:
    Thanks for attempting this OP.

A few constructive criticisms though. Can you randomize the list in any way? As you will get design bias listing the characters in order based on previous versions. Is there a way to create a blank list 1-x and make the names drop and drag from a cloud in some way? What would also be interesting is to see ownership of said listed characters. Is there the opportunity to add a follow on question.

There are a few angles to take on this, as if I had to list characters I own and consider the best Black Widow would be top ten easily. Especially if you consider her power in PVE. Maybe you should put this on hold and get some feedback on your design?

Hi, thanks for the comments. The list should be random now, couldn't work out if any of your other suggestions are possible but happy to input them if you can work out how to do it. As for putting it on hold, I think that something is better than nothing so will leave it up, especially as its been over 3 months since the last ranking.

I realise its not perfect, and only 29 people have completed at this point anyway so I doubt I'll do it again, but I won't be offended if anyone wants to set up a better alternative.
  • Thank you for taking the initiative and starting the voting, thedude, something is better than nothing and this system seems fine to me. The importance is the rankings and any in depth analysis can be added later by anyone in the forum.

I messaged mm asking about the next rankings before he released his retirement announcement and he said he was 50/50 about getting one done but like said, he's just not into it at the moment.

I believe you should go ahead and stick with this for the time being. If mm releases a rankings, great, if not, we atleast have one to go off of. I'll help you if you would like. Raisinbman, I think you would give a good input as well since you have made analysis of characters before. For me the tier system was a little confusing, but I still think you did a good job.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Edited:
    60HlRhC.png
    Wider heat map: http://i.imgur.com/FIEEwA8.png
    Heat map includes all votes, default (5) votes have been removed for the ranking below; anger and troll votes kept.

Quick personal comments, feel free to attack me unmercifully for my naivety. Note that rank changes are approximate, and roughly grouped. Eg, Yelena doesn't actually go down 9 because of 9 new characters. Dec 2014 rankings for reference.

The best
    1. 4* Wolverine (X-Force) (unchanged)
    Now undisputed top dog due to the 4* Thor nerf. Will last about a month.

2. 3* Thor (+1)
    Solid as ever.

3. 4* Thor (-1)
    Her nerf brings her down one rank, but her solid skills and high hp keep her in the top 3. Perhaps she can regain top spot after the X-Force nerf?

4. 4* Professor X (new)
    Take the best parts of IW, Falcon, and Mawkeye into one character and reduce the cost to invisibility to 7?! With his hugely damaging and AP generating match 5 technique, Prof X easily jumps into the top 10. Even with his blue almost useless on defense, his other techniques combine to frustrate you when you're not expecting it, and death cascades into criticals can certainly wipe your team even if you've got Loki on your side.

With the introduction of Professor X, I swear he's using his psychic power to get the devs to ..nerf all other 4*'s. Professor X is the best. All glory to Professor X.

5. 3* The Hood (+3)
    People realized Twin Pistols was probably a buff (?) and his AP stealing is still annoying as all tinykitty.

6. 4* Nick Fury (-2)
    Ok, but lacking synergy.

7. 3* Daken (-2)

8. 3* Iron Fist (new)
    IF's punishing attack tile and insanely cheap black generation put him solidly in top 10, particularly with the XFist (X-Force + Iron Fist) combo which led to first turn surgical strikes. He also joined Cyclops in a different, stronger support health class. His downsides are his relative need for a black AP partner. He may drop a few ranks after the X-Force nerf. No 2* team will touch a maxed IF.

9. 3* Wolverine (Patch) (+2)
    Not sure why Patch is climbing back. Maybe it's the true heal, or the new red generators in Cyclops and MNMags (?).

10. 3* Blade (unchanged)
    Ever at the mercy of the board, Blade climbs in rank a little only to be pushed back down by the new characters, staying at 10.

Low top 3* + Kingpin:
    11. 3* Black Panther (-4)
    As X-Fist gained dominance, BP fell back. Will probably gain somewhat by X-Force's nerf.

12. 3* Magneto (classic) (-2)

13. 3* Luke Cage (new)
    Free permanent shield? Yes, please. Personally I think he's overrated, but time will tell.

14. 3* Captain America (-7)
    The King of Goon PVE takes a big hit.

15. 3* Loki (+10)
    The new Loki is a hit! Perhaps the most evil ability in the game, unless he's on your side :evilgrin: Biggest jump in rankings, tied with Doom.

16. 3* Deadpool (unchanged)

17. 3* Hulk (unchanged)

18. 3* Cyclops (new)
    Great red generation getting rid of team-ups, board destruction, massive damage. A solid top tier 3*.

19. 4* Kingpin (new)
    He's... ok? Countdowns aren't the greatest, but at least he fuels himself. There are so many countdowns that at least a few of them will go off. Purple as a transformation color is becoming a more contested color though, limiting his usefulness.

20. 3* Rocket and Groot (+7)
    True healing + boardshake carries them. Honestly, I think their other abilities are weak, but what else are you going to do with blue AP? They were probably underrated due to survey bias last time.

21. 3* Kamala Khan (new)
    Underrated as a whole, she'll move up with her Green AOE, and purple transformation which I don't think people are using right, or haven't gotten used to yet. I think she bears the cruel stench of 'burst of health', which is actually a decent ability for her.

22. 3* Doctor Doom (+10)
    Amazing what a 3rd ability can do; like Loki he climbs 10 ranks, but is held back by a mediocre Blue ability.

23. 3* Human Torch (-2)

Weaker 4*s and middling 3*s.
    24. 4* Devil Dinosaur (-4)
    You're cute and fun with KK, ProfX or Star-Lord, but not wholly usable.
    25. 3* Falcon (unchanged)
    26. 4* Star-Lord (who?)
    Unreliable countdowns hamper his ability to figure in the meta.
    27. 3* Punisher (-3)
    The 'balanced' 3* moves down yet again due to power creep.
    28. 3* Captain Marvel (-6)
    Red and black AP generation seems good in theory, but she's now outclassed by IF and Cyclops. 3rd biggest drop (behind Steve and Sentry). A weak red and black aren't doing her any favors either.
    29. 4* Elektra (new)
    Too much of a niche character, signalled the coming of the 4* army. It's no wonder we resent her so much.
    30. 3* Black Widow (grey suit) (unchanged)
    31. 3* Daredevil (+3)
    Revamp makes Daredevil playable, and Daken's archenemy.
    32. 3* Mystique (-3)
    Winfinite nerfed hard... she's even under GSBW now!? I don't think she deserves this much, but her health is still pretty low, so eh.

Top 2* and bad 3*:
    33. 3* Psylocke (-1)
    34. 3* Colossus (-3)
    Outshadowed by Cage, he's almost never used.
    35. 2* Black Widow (original) (+1)
    36. 3* Sentry (-19!!)
    Sentry falls further. Not even nostalgia can save him now.
    37. 3* Storm (Mohawk) (+2)
    38. 3* Gamora (-2)
    She just doesn't work well unless you build your team around her, and even then her black is overpriced.
    39. 3* Squirrel Girl (new)
    Decently strong shields. Her powerful anti-strike ability is overshadowed by Daredevil. Her expensive Green is alright, but relies on easily destroyed countdowns, and generally isn't as good as other Green abilities out there.
    40. 3* Spider-Man (unchanged)
    41. 3* Iron Man (Model 40) (-2)
    42. 2* Ares (unchanged)

Solid 2* and Rags:
    43. 2* Storm (classic) (+4)
    DDQ. Triple windstorm to end the enchilada is delicious.
    44. 3* She-Hulk (-1)
    45. 2* Thor (+3)
    Must be DDQ? He's still solid.
    46. 3* Ragnarok (unchanged)
    Ragnarok is getting a new ability? YES!!!! Sadly we were all disappointed except for those of us who now love destroying him in PVE. He may drop below even Doc Ock after next round of buffs.
    47. 2* Magneto (Marvel Now) (+4)
    People seem to like his nerf; it combines well with Cyclops. I still call it a nerf despite growing opposition from the forum.
    48. 2* Daken (+2)
    49. 2* Wolverine (Astonishing) (+3)

The need buffs group:
    50. 3* Doctor Octopus (-4)
    51. 4* Invisible Woman (-6)
    I've honestly been too distraught at X-Force's nerf to look too closely at her revamp. She should climb in spots though.
    52. 3* Beast (-3)
    Don't worry Beast, you've got a revamp on the way! You'll regain those 3 spots and more!

Good 1* and low 2*:
    53. 2* Captain Marvel(+2)
    People have finally seen just how punishing her black can be, the best 2* black ability.
    54. 2* Hawkeye (modern)(-1)
    55. 2* Human Torch (-1)
    56. 1* Juggernaut (+1)
    DDQ ups his rank
    57. 2* Captain America (-1)
    I'm surprised 2* Cap isn't more used in DDQ.
    58. 2* Moonstone(+1)
    Maybe some love for Moonstone?
    59. 2* Bullseye (-1)
    60. 1* Storm (modern) (+1)
    61. 1* Black Widow (-1)
    62. 1* Iron Man (Model 35) (unchanged)

Down to the final few:
    63. 1* Venom (+2)
    Slightly more useful in DDQ's first node.
    64. 1* Hawkeye (classic) (unchanged)
    65. 2* Bag Man (-2)
    Ranked too high due to survey limitations last time, he properly moves back next to Yelena.
    66. 1* Yelena Belova (unchanged)

Now I've got to get back to work...
    --
    It'd also be awesome if you could release the raw excel data from the results after voting is over. It'd be neat to see if there are patterns in the data, eg people who generally like direct damage abilities, people who generally like strike tiles, etc...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    thedude wrote:

I realise its not perfect, and only 29 people have completed at this point anyway so I doubt I'll do it again, but I won't be offended if anyone wants to set up a better alternative.

I went in to do it, but realized my opinion doesn't really count since I'm still low in the 2-3 transition. I haven't even played with more than half of the characters on the list when fully covered so I can't really help.
  • udonomefoo wrote:
    thedude wrote:

I went in to do it, but realized my opinion doesn't really count since I'm still low in the 2-3 transition. I haven't even played with more than half of the characters on the list when fully covered so I can't really help.

everyone's opinion counts. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to have played with every character, team combo, and every spec of characters
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    thedude wrote:

I'd say you can still vote. Without playing a hero, you can get a feel for how they measure up to other heroes. Just don't be one of those guys who calls for nerfs on a hero they've never touched lol.

There's a difference between knowing where they stand vs knowing when something lies too far outside the power curve and needs to be adjusted.
  • rixmith
    Seems like the ordering of the list was based on the last rankings with new characters at the bottom? I think that was better than the alphabetical list we had in the past, and probably better than random, as we learned in the last rankings that many people didn't change the order of a lot of characters (for example we had many votes for Beast as a top character since he was near the start of the list). So if we start with a reasonable list, characters that don't get moved end up closer to an appropriate spot.
  • rixmith
    And thanks for doing this. I had been eagerly awaiting the next voting...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Looking forward to the results. It made me rethink my roster a LOT. I was playing the "better than X but not Y" game for about 20 mins.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for putting in the effort.

It's actually getting harder to rank the characters objectively now that there are so many of them, particularly once you get beyond the top 5 or 10. They seem to sit more in "bands" than precise rankings, where a group of characters are at about the same power level.
  • morph3us wrote:
    Thanks for putting in the effort.

It's actually getting harder to rank the characters objectively now that there are so many of them, particularly once you get beyond the top 5 or 10. They seem to sit more in "bands" than precise rankings, where a group of characters are at about the same power level.

I settle for just ranking them by grade rather than who's 1st who's 2cd, etc. I mean there's a very obvious #1 right now and there's some really bad last placers but otherwise....

Also finally put my votes in:

Characters I haven't already ranked(Key - Character: Grade)

Kamala Khan: S/A++ - being a support is awesome. Being a support that deals damage and heals your team for doing abilities is even better. She's fragile, but she's supposed to be the team cheerleader anyway. And Her Damage rivals thor. So, yeah. And she makes green. I feel sorry for people obsessed over her looks or anything else - she's a solid character and I'd cover her and grow her nice and big ASAP

Kingpin: B/C - So Kingpin's graphics, sprites, and abilites are all really flavorful, but in actual gameplay he's not that great. I mean, he's not terrible, but unless we get a suite a villians that works well with him, I don't see much of his potential. D3 does get points for giving him 3 abilites that make sense and have synergy with each other. Of course, you could pair him with Hood or Iron FIst, but there's not many who CANT pair with Hood or Iron Fist.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    Kingpin: B/C - So Kingpin's graphics, sprites, and abilites are all really flavorful, but in actual gameplay he's not that great. I mean, he's not terrible, but unless we get a suite a villians that works well with him, I don't see much of his potential. D3 does get points for giving him 3 abilites that make sense and have synergy with each other. Of course, you could pair him with Hood or Iron FIst, but there's not many who CANT pair with Hood or Iron Fist.

His black is SIX, man. It has the potential to go off, A LOT. But the problem is that unless you whale up and level him immediately, it'll be months before we have people pairing Doom or IF with him, because of the popularity of XFW.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

His black is SIX, man. It has the potential to go off, A LOT. But the problem is that unless you whale up and level him immediately, it'll be months before we have people pairing Doom or IF with him, because of the popularity of XFW.

ok, so how are u using him and why aren't u commenting in his thread icon_razz.gif

Are you using black point blank? Are u using black w/ a cd? From who?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we should suspend this poll until the new changes hit in
  • turul wrote:
    I think we should suspend this poll until the new changes hit in
    what changes????