A new 4* this soon is a terrible idea

Comments

• Or you could not try and make a fun casual match 3 game into an epic raid event from Wow. Either way it's a matter of perception.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    So, everyone who's in here complaining about it...who's actually going to take a stand and not play the thing out of principle/protest?

Cos, y'know, if you complain something and then go right ahead and do it anyway...it's kinda worse than not complaining at all.

I'm going to play it but I'm going to stop at the MissStretchyPants progression reward.
    All you need is a decently leveled NC17-Force and a diverse army of 3*s (and boosts and shields) and you can still climb to the top of any PVP event.
    4*s are a waste of time and ISO and they're not even that fun to play with.

I'm protesting the star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png release so quickly...and the star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png release system in general.
    (Although I'm a star.pngstar.png player, so it doesn't really concern me anyhow but you star.pngstar.pngstar.png + guys really should get what you put in.)
    I'll join early, play for progressions, and bracket depending, hit top 150 so there's one less icon_daredevil.png cover for me to chase.
    There's no point in me chasing Wilson Fisk if
    a) I don't actually get to keep what I earn unless I shell out some imcoin.png and
    b) I can't realistically build Kingpin for (presumably) the next couple of years.
  • taloncarde wrote:
    Or you could not try and make a fun casual match 3 game into an epic raid event from Wow. Either way it's a matter of perception.

This is my perception on the matter:
    Sometime around the anniversary last year, the developers made a post recognizing the player burnout from releasing too many characters too quickly together. As such, they told us that they wouldn't do it again and that their schedule would be one release every two weeks going forward.
    Now, the new character K.amala's event is just ending and new character K.ingpin is beginning, completely against what they said they recognized as a problem and wouldn't repeat.
    So you tell me: Mistake, or lie?

Either way it's immaterial because the event has begun and they won't change it. I'm not upset about the character, though I'd prefer more reasonable time periods between releases and a less competitive reward structure, I'm a little put out that they said one thing and then did another.
    Your perception on that?
  • The best part of this is that the only slice that worked in my timezone for KK (#5), thanks to the end of daylight savings here, overlaps with the only slice that works in my timezone for Kingpin (#1). Boooooooo.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    taloncarde wrote:
    Or you could not try and make a fun casual match 3 game into an epic raid event from Wow. Either way it's a matter of perception.

This is my perception on the matter:
    Sometime around the anniversary last year, the developers made a post recognizing the player burnout from releasing too many characters too quickly together. As such, they told us that they wouldn't do it again and that their schedule would be one release every two weeks going forward.
    Now, the new character K.amala's event is just ending and new character K.ingpin is beginning, completely against what they said they recognized as a problem and wouldn't repeat.
    So you tell me: Mistake, or lie?

Either way it's immaterial because the event has begun and they won't change it. I'm not upset about the character, though I'd prefer more reasonable time periods between releases and a less competitive reward structure, I'm a little put out that they said one thing and then did another.
    Your perception on that?
    maybe april fools? maybe not
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,327 Chairperson of the Boards
    Extremely disappointed. They said they wouldn't release new characters back to back again. This is them going back on their word. Of all the questionable decisions they have ever made, this is the one that has actually damaged my trust in them. Sadness merges with anger and leaves a profound apathy towards the game and its creators.
  • D2KM_
    D2KM_ Posts: 134
    Seriously D3 what the heck? I was actually having a great time with iso-8 pve. The boosted characters were all tons of fun to play, nice chunks of iso to be had and tokens galore (didnt pull anything useful but thats ok). Not a fan of 12 hr subs but i was still having fun icon_e_biggrin.gif

Now i look and the very next pve is another new release? And its a 4*? And its a week long event over a holiday weekend? And reward structure for 4* release is still the same, terrible broken model even when forum goers continue to ask for changes? This is the typical one step forward two steps waaaay back. Very disappointed and discouraged to see back to back new releases, and a 4* at that...
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know D3 is only doing this because they got the support of the whales, right?
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    So the preview for Thick as Thieves is up, and I'm mad. I got done with a punishing PVE this morning and you're already running another 4*? That only gives out prizes to top 50 again?

This isn't fun. This doesn't lead to excitement. It leads to people trying to game the system. You're going to have half the forums waiting for the last 24 hours and cramming into the same bracket.

I used to look forward to new PVEs. Now I"m starting to dread them.

This is very, very player-unfriendly.

Ditto
  • Yasuru
    Yasuru Posts: 99 Match Maker
    After the chaos of the anniversary, the playerbase basically begged for the devs to slow down the release cycle. They said they understood and would return to a 2-week release cycle. That promise lasted about 5 months, now we have the same situation. Not only is it back to back grinds, but it's 850hp back to back (gotta catch 'em all) provided I can place in the (compressed) top 50. They basically managed the hat-trick of player annoyances. As for the people who are saying "just don't play", if you miss a new character, you miss out on essentials on the next PvE which can cause a snowball effect that is hard to recover from.

Yas
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Riconn wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    So the preview for Thick as Thieves is up, and I'm mad. I got done with a punishing PVE this morning and you're already running another 4*? That only gives out prizes to top 50 again?

This isn't fun. This doesn't lead to excitement. It leads to people trying to game the system. You're going to have half the forums waiting for the last 24 hours and cramming into the same bracket.

I used to look forward to new PVEs. Now I"m starting to dread them.

This is very, very player-unfriendly.

Ditto

Ditto ditto. Unfortunately this forum is basically the Free Speech Zone from Arrested Development: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xohzz1_lindseys-cage-dance_fun
  • Horray, a pve I can just play for progression then ignore! So glad I am far enough behind on the 4* rat race that this has zero appeal to me.
  • Horray, a pve I can just play for progression then ignore! So glad I am far enough behind on the 4* rat race that this has zero appeal to me.

This is a good attitude to have, but just remember that Kingpin will be required in the NEXT PvE and as such your score there will be affected. To those that are ok with that, it's cool.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I really don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, and both sides of the issue have made valid points. But I will say this: I wanted to see what I missed by not devoting my week grinding 12 hour subs for Kahn, so I did what I always do in that situation...I looked up Deadpool's Order in the alliance search box, and checked Colognoisseur's roster to see the maxed out lvl 166 version. What I saw shocked me.

She had 2 yellow covers, 1 purple cover, and was level 40. icon_eek.gif

That's B A D D3. You're losing the whales. You lose the whales, the game dies. You have an entire community of people telling you how to avoid this, why oh why won't you just LISTEN??
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I am terribly disappointed that new release pve is just after the one we just had. D3 you promised us you wont be doing it again!!!! But i guess we were just big fools to believe you will keep on one release every other week. I dont even want to comment that opening a new slot is 800HP, meaning for back to back PVE 1600HP is needed!!!! OH yeah i forgot DPD is there to help us with roster spots costs... right?!?!?!
  • tanis3303 wrote:
    I really don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, and both sides of the issue have made valid points. But I will say this: I wanted to see what I missed by not devoting my week grinding 12 hour subs for Kahn, so I did what I always do in that situation...I looked up Deadpool's Order in the alliance search box, and checked Colognoisseur's roster to see the maxed out lvl 166 version. What I saw shocked me.

That's B A D D3. You're losing the whales. You lose the whales, the game dies. You have an entire community of people telling you how to avoid this, why oh why won't you just LISTEN??

I guess we can only have fun if Colognoisseur is? Maybe there are other people who play and spend lots of money that don't use the forums, or maybe just maybe the game is bigger than one person?
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    taloncarde wrote:
    tanis3303 wrote:

I guess we can only have fun if Colognoisseur is? Maybe there are other people who play and spend lots of money that don't use the forums, or maybe just maybe the game is bigger than one person?

Talon, I'm sure you mean well with your posts and perhaps you're trying to play devil's advocate for the sake of it, but I'll be honest, your posts are coming off as uncaring and make it hard to read it otherwise. The fact that you are off-handedly discounting months of threads, player comments/feedback and indirectly bashing a well respected veterans views whose done more to help this gaming community than 99.9% of the player base just comes off as wrong to me. If you had put in a tenth of what Colog has done for the community, I'd respect more with what you're trying to say, but it seems like you just want to miss the whole point that Colog is trying to make and that he's trying to help both the game and the community with his honest feedback and not just think about himself.

Perhaps I am wrong and apologize if that is the case, but I don't know what else to say when I see you continuing to make comments like this.
  • I am speaking as someone who plays and enjoys this game and has no problem with these changes and have been playing for over 500 days. So i'm simply offering a different viewpoint than the "well established" vets. Sometimes it feels like a lot of people who say the same things while others who disagree get shouted down or downvoted for being "a troll" so I am stating my satisfaction with the game. Not everyone plays the same way, and the vocal minority doesn't rule the game. I don't have access to the stats behind the scenes, but I know out of my friends and alliance who plays, I'm the only one who reads the forum and the only one who posts. (And only recently because of how toxic an environment it is)

So my group of 20, at least 5 of which have played since the beginning are happy. We may not cover every charachter the day it launches, but we do spend money on the game. So we have fun and enjoy the game and I want to speak up for those who feel the same way.
  • I'm just skipping the whole damn thing.
  • taloncarde wrote:
    I am speaking as someone who plays and enjoys this game and has no problem with these changes and have been playing for over 500 days. So i'm simply offering a different viewpoint than the "well established" vets. Sometimes it feels like a lot of people who say the same things while others who disagree get shouted down or downvoted for being "a troll" so I am stating my satisfaction with the game. Not everyone plays the same way, and the vocal minority doesn't rule the game. I don't have access to the stats behind the scenes, but I know out of my friends and alliance who plays, I'm the only one who reads the forum and the only one who posts. (And only recently because of how toxic an environment it is)

So my group of 20, at least 5 of which have played since the beginning are happy. We may not cover every charachter the day it launches, but we do spend money on the game. So we have fun and enjoy the game and I want to speak up for those who feel the same way.
    I'm glad you're still having fun and want to stick up for those that feel the same way. Just don't do it in a condescending and disrespectful manner to a well respected veteran.