Stop using the RNG to determine cover order

Comments

• If I was working from within the company to demonstrate how stupid relying on the RNG is, I couldn't come up with a better demonstration of it than what they're doing with Ragnarok.

This is the stupidest power roll-out ever.
  • Rags blue is so bad that even if I were to win one, I wouldn't apply for PvP because on top of it being worthless on defense in PvP (of which many abilities are), the charge tiles will actually accelerate MY OPPONENT on defense.... This is like by far the most worthless cover we've seen in perhaps the history of the game...

Serious question: does this mean the optimal rags build is 5/5/0? If so, I'd be glad to soft cap him and warehouse him indefinitely, and put my scarce ISO elsewhere.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haven't pretty much -all- of the newest covers or best covers been T5 only rewards for the following PVP? It's getting to be so common it almost seems like it isn't random....

More RNG badness is no Groot Yellow events before he's getting put away. There needs to be one PVP T100 for each color before they are sent to the great abyss.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Haven't pretty much -all- of the newest covers or best covers been T5 only rewards for the following PVP? It's getting to be so common it almost seems like it isn't random....

Loki was top 5 (but given out in the Gauntlet first); Doom was the low/Alliance prize.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Loki was top 5 (but given out in the Gauntlet first); Doom was the low/Alliance prize.

Wasn't doom top 5 for the first pvp that rewards him after unvaulting, then only became the low prize for the most recent round?
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Wasn't doom top 5 for the first pvp that rewards him after unvaulting, then only became the low prize for the most recent round?

I should have clarified - Doom was the low/alliance for the PVE that he was first offered in, then top 5 for the first PVP (which followed).
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    If I was working from within the company to demonstrate how stupid relying on the RNG is, I couldn't come up with a better demonstration of it than what they're doing with Ragnarok.

This is the stupidest power roll-out ever.

Yeah, it's like "Hey! We made an awesome new power to Ragnarök, but you can't have it" Hah hah!

I'd be really mad if his new powers were indeed awesome icon_e_wink.gif
  • Quicksilver has now had his black cover as the top twice in a row. Not the PVE progression award.

Devs, you have to admit that the RNG just isn't working. I'll repeat what I said before:

Initial PVE awards cover in ABC order.
    PVP awardscovers in CBA order.
    PVE and PVP progression awards both B.
    Rotate afterwards.

Reliance on the RNG is both completely unnecessary and actively harming the game. This is easy to fix, and it would make the game better. Fix it.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    But then they would have to do more than just change the character.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Quicksilver has now had his black cover as the top twice in a row. Not the PVE progression award.

Devs, you have to admit that the RNG just isn't working. I'll repeat what I said before:

Rotate afterwards.

Reliance on the RNG is both completely unnecessary and actively harming the game. This is easy to fix, and it would make the game better. Fix it.

But it's not automated by a software program so it can't be efficient! icon_twisted.gif
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Vankysher wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Quicksilver has now had his black cover as the top twice in a row. Not the PVE progression award.

Rotate afterwards.

But it's not automated by a software program so it can't be efficient! icon_twisted.gif

who says you can't automate the order? It just won't be random. They already do it in Deadpool's daily.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, this is the 4th time Gamora has been awarded and her black has never been the bottom reward. In fact, if memory serves well, Black has been the top (hardest) reward thrice and the middle once.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep. Thor Yellow and Punisher Green haven't been the easiest reward since at least mid last year. It is just plain stupid - these covers should just plain rotate. Noone can accuse anyone of favoritism if they rotate. For example:

Intro PVE - RGB, Intro PVP - GBR, 2nd PVP - BRG, 3rd PVP RBG (or BGR if you really want to mix it up)
  • When will we drop the words and pick up the forks? Looks like the only way to make D3 rethink stuff in order to truly make the playerbase at least neutral; even if not making everyone enjoy it (which would be impossible) at least wont make half of the players angry.
  • One of the things that strikes me about how stupid this is is that it probably costs them potential sales. If everyone can get one of each cover, they can actually buy covers for a good character (i.e., not Quicksilver). And when a character is 0/0/5 or 0/5/5, you can't and won't buy any more for the character.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    One of the things that strikes me about how stupid this is is that it probably costs them potential sales. If everyone can get one of each cover, they can actually buy covers for a good character (i.e., not Quicksilver). And when a character is 0/0/5 or 0/5/5, you can't and won't buy any more for the character.
    I've often thought this as well, and have probably said so several times around these parts, but the reality is they'd probably rather fish for pack sales from people who are some combination of wealthy, stupid, and desperate. Whether this makes more money for them in the long run I certainly couldn't tell you.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    One of the things that strikes me about how stupid this is is that it probably costs them potential sales. If everyone can get one of each cover, they can actually buy covers for a good character (i.e., not Quicksilver). And when a character is 0/0/5 or 0/5/5, you can't and won't buy any more for the character.

Flip side, by making one cover (unintentionally?) scarce, they may be driving sales to packs, with players trying to get the elusive one that way. Not anyone here of course, but I'm sure they exist.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rng my bum. They choose which ones go where to make the most desirable covers the rarest and then tell us it's random to mitigate anger lol
  • Arondite wrote:
    Rng my bum. They choose which ones go where to make the most desirable covers the rarest and then tell us it's random to mitigate anger lol
    But...but...that would mean they lied to us. They would never lie to us about important things like that, would they? That would be mean. icon_e_sad.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    But...but...that would mean they lied to us. They would never lie to us about important things like that, would they? That would be mean. icon_e_sad.gif
    My friend, have you heard of "Return Of The Mack"?