Please change 4* pve reward structure

Comments

• Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Great idea. Including all three cover types as progression rewards would work amazingly. Non-competetive players can enjoy a less stressful event and not fall behind in the rapidly increasing character pool. Hardcore players could go crazy for the same rewards as usual and come out with a few extra covers and ISO. I think that's a great reward structure.

If I remember correctly wasn't lokis third power introduced as a progression in a gauntlet PVE? I remember that was quite popular and people really seemed to love the gauntlet style of play/rewards.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Huh, Didn't realize that these are 1000 man brackets.

top 5% = 1 cover
    Top 1% = 2 cover
    Top .5% = 3 cover
    Top .01% =4 cover

For simulator

Top .02% = 1 4* cover

Top 5% = 2 3* covers
    Top 1%= 3 3* covers

Actually, the hunt seems much more generous for 4* covers.

As has been explained multiple times. At that degree of competition, the size of the brackets largely don't matter, your competition is the other 1/4/49 people for those reward slots, not the 999 or 4999.

If their servers supported it, they should really consider going back to the way they did it for the first hunt event, and have incredibly large reward bracketing while clumping everyone together
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2015
    Worst thing is, nothing of suggested changes won´t happen.
    Why?
    This game lasts around 1,5 year.
    As devs clearly stated in last Q&A, they have developed 2* rosters. (!!!!!!)
    They don´t have a clue what real problems of this game are!

(Do they even know about existing scaling problem? This is probably only game which punishes players as they progresses! )

Developers, if you are reading this, atleast one of you - please - try to be top 5 in upcoming Hunt PVE,
    and then write us your feedback !

Would you have good feeling that you won 4 covers?
    NO!
    You will be exhausted, frustrated, you will be saying to yourself that you won´t do that ever again,
    you will be in other alliance that you are normally in (with your friends),
    just because you need to gain that 1 additional cover (and your home alliance is slacking) !
    I´m looking forward to reading this kind of post.

Why on earth did you choose this HUNT PVE?
    We say NO to overlapping subs!
    We say YES to increasing personall and alliance rewards!
  • I'm still waiting for the promised "route to 3* to 4* progression" promised in earlier Q and A's. Seems like the easiest first step to take would be to increase the size of the PvE reward tiers. As has been stated again and again, all it can possibly do is enable people with money to buy covers.

And, just to inject a little history: It was the Heroic that rewarded LDaken where they changed the ultimate reward tiers after the event started. So it's theoretically possible to still make this iteration of the Hunt better, though precedent suggests that only a massive technical problem or oversight on the company's part that would allow them to do so.
  • Yeah I saw the award structure this time around, and instead of "all right a new 4*" I finished my daily for some iso and closed out. I could easily skip this PVE completely and not feel that I missed anything. Yay, new character release that i will get none of, how about a nap instead, that sounds better actually.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon 17 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for the promised "route to 3* to 4* progression" promised in earlier Q and A's. Seems like the easiest first step to take would be to increase the size of the PvE reward tiers. As has been stated again and again, all it can possibly do is enable people with money to buy covers.

And, just to inject a little history: It was the Heroic that rewarded LDaken where they changed the ultimate reward tiers after the event started. So it's theoretically possible to still make this iteration of the Hunt better, though precedent suggests that only a massive technical problem or oversight on the company's part that would allow them to do so.

The easiest path for a 3* right now is either Hulk/Patch bombing or having the HP and ISO to have Cyclops or Iron Fist fully leveled and maxed, those teams plus 675 HP and a shielding schedule can hit 1000 progression reward regularly.
  • Thanks Dev's. This choice of PvE and the reward structure has inspired me (must be the Falcon thing) to quit MPQ properly after having faffed around with playing casually for the last month and a half. Cheers!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Moon 17 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for the promised "route to 3* to 4* progression" promised in earlier Q and A's. Seems like the easiest first step to take would be to increase the size of the PvE reward tiers. As has been stated again and again, all it can possibly do is enable people with money to buy covers.

The easiest path for a 3* right now is either Hulk/Patch bombing or having the HP and ISO to have Cyclops or Iron Fist fully leveled and maxed, those teams plus 675 HP and a shielding schedule can hit 1000 progression reward regularly.

So over a week worth of HP (and ignoring the need for new roster slots, which need even more), the most recent characters fully covered (or old ones, and I don't have Patch covered after almost a year), planning life totally around a shield schedule - that sounds like no problem at all!

This is why I've never even -tried- to hit 1K in PVP, the extra costs (time, roster spaces, specific characters needed) are pretty intense.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
    if they change the PVE then i demand they change the PVP payouts. Top 50 now get 2 covers instead of top 25
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    if they change the PVE then i demand they change the PVP payouts. Top 50 now get 2 covers instead of top 25

If they are really serious about helping transition, they need to slide -all- rewards another 10-20%. PVP: T150 for 1 cover: get those 2*'s their 3* cover. T50 for two covers - I occasionally hit that, and haven't hit T25 since season 3 or so. PVE: T150 for alliance rewards, this has been asked for quite a bit. T50 (never T20) for two covers.

Those are all over-due, and have been asked for by many for a long time. But this thread addresses the start - the one reward that obviously needs an adjustment is T100 for 4*'s (both alliance and personal). The other rewards should have happened (so, so many more alliances now than before - why haven't alliance rewards been extended?), but they aren't nearly as contentious with the user base as this one.

75 upvotes or so for OP? There are other issues in the game (scaling, roster slot costs, progressions) - I can't think of ONE that has more animosity than the T50 4* rewards. Heck, just release them as season rewards rather than "special PVE release" and you'd have a better reception.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    I bet devs will not even respond to this thread. They are coming so close to fixing this game, it's truly sad to see an obvious problem with an easy solution become a repeated mistake. There has been no uproar on the forum since the last time this event was ran. That should tell them something. Right?!
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    If there's going to be a 4* transition there has to be another reliable way to earn covers for existing 4* characters beyond the 1000-point PvP threshold, which is both expensive and beyond the reach of nearly all players who don't have at least one or two fully covered 4*s already. Finishing top 1-2 in a competitive event is not a reliable way to earn anything, especially in PvP -- once you move out of the baby brackets and start playing against the big guns, it's much much tougher to finish first than to hit 1000 points any day, making that reward strictly a rich-get-richer thing.

Possibilities:
    • Expand the distribution of 4* characters in all PvE events. Top 150 get one 3* cover, top 50 get two, top 20 get three, top 10 get all three plus (at least) one 4* cover.
    • Start vaulting 4* characters. In the days before the 4* flood began players could expect to get a substantial number of 4* covers just from tokens because even though the odds of a 4* dropping were small, there were so few 4* characters that it worked out to no less than the chance of pulling any individual 3*. Now the odds are so spread out that you're unlikely to get any one character, and thus can't expect to cover anyone primarily through tokens. Aggressive vaulting would restore some sanity to the 4* token odds.
    • A fusion of 1 and 2: Along with the 1*, 2* and 3* boosts in PvE events, boost one (or two) 4*s in all events as a matter of course, with a corresponding increase to the their token odds. This would both give players a better chance to get more covers for their vestigal 4* characters and reward the players who keep those low-covered 4*s on their rosters. Right now Elektra and Star-Lord are little more than empty roster spots in PvP and PvE alike, but with a +50 event boost they could at least do something for us.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    As soon as I discovered that top 50 earns you a 4* after a 5 day grindfest, I made the decision to not play the PVP until the last day of the event (hoping for a lazy bracket). Is this what D3 is aiming for, for me to play their events less?

There is no way I'm going to invest 7 days of grinding to maybe make it into the top 50 (if not I'm stuck with a useless DD cover...?!) after wiping half my roster only to shift gears and maintain a top 5 finish in the PVPs! PVE causes burnout, no, scratch that, a FIVE DAY PVE with dual subs causes burnout!

Anyways, I made the conscious decision to play this PVE as little as possible in order to not drive myself batsh*t crazy.

Please Demiurge, LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMER BASE! We HATE PVEs that encourages grinding for a week straight. You know what's awesome? Short PVEs (ie Deadpool v MPQ), why can't you be a little more creative and give us content in a nice compact package??

My 2 cents.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The simple solution is one I've seen suggested more times than I can count. Remove competition with other players from PvE. Make it all about progression and node reward.

While I'm glad to see a 4 reward go to more than the top player, it is a baby step where they need giant strides. They need to start being far more generous with 4 stars. It feels like the only way to keep up against the xforce wall is to buy your own. And considering the exorbitant cost ($120 for covers for a single character, not counting iso), that just isn't a reality for most players. For the price of maxing xforce, I could instead get GTA5, Assassin's Creed Rogue, and Hotline Miami 2. If you aren't a whale where money doesn't matter, the choice is obvious.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    The simple solution is one I've seen suggested more times than I can count. Remove competition with other players from PvE. Make it all about progression and node reward.
    We just saw people **** that they couldn't get the red Pun in the previous PvE. So we know that the devs aren't completely incapable of varying the difficulty of the top progression award. So keep hanging onto that fantasy that if only they would give out 4s as PvE progressions instead of rank awards, that you could casually nibble away at the event and come away with it.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    We just saw people **** that they couldn't get the red Pun in the previous PvE. So we know that the devs aren't completely incapable of varying the difficulty of the top progression award. So keep hanging onto that fantasy that if only they would give out 4s as PvE progressions instead of rank awards, that you could casually nibble away at the event and come away with it.

Which doesn't change the fact that you can't lose a progression award because somebody else is an even crazier grinder than you. Even a really high target is still a known goal, while top 2/10 rewards are hugely dependent on who happens to be in your bracket, and whether you were lucky enough to start with a fresh one or ended up a cycle behind the leaders. Keep punching that straw, though.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

Granted, grind is a bigger problem, and clearly one that exists on the progression side also. Still, it at least isn't a moving target, like the competition rewards, and one I can decide not to bother with at the start.

Anyway, back to Far Cry 4 (another amazing full AAA retail game cheaper than buying a 4 star character).
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    The worst part of the structure is T50 alliance rewards. The amount of jockeying for position with mercs on the final day of the event is jaw-dropping. I witnessed an alliance fall from #15 to #51 in a matter of 3 hours at the end of the Starlord event with NO roster changes in the alliance.

The fact that this can even happen at all in the final 3 hours of a 6 day event is a problem in itself, but, I'll just stick to the point that T50 creates ridiculous pressure on commanders to drop players, bring in mercs, and do all kinds of things. The alliances that make T50 aren't the ones that start the event with the best members... the T50 alliances are the ones whose commanders do the most effective juggling within the final hours of the event.
  • simonsez wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

Wait, is that true? I barely tried the Simulator at all, and I only didn't get the last progression reward because, you know, I didn't need 500 ISO 8 as much as I needed to do something more fun with my life.

Oh, and in reference to the post that came in before mine: They should take the chase covers off of the alliance reward entirely. If they want alliances to be about community and friendly play, then the prizes should be less relevant and more based on progression than competition. Give us a set of alliance progs and just put HP and ISO-8 in as the competition prize.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even a really high target is still a known goal, while top 2/10 rewards are hugely dependent on who happens to be in your bracket, and whether you were lucky enough to start with a fresh one or ended up a cycle behind the leaders.
    But no one is complaining about that. It's an issue, but all the whining is about how it's too much work to grind that long. I'm saying no one should automatically expect progression-based 4s to require any less grinding than they do now.

Don't confuse a strawman with refuting someone's specific complaint, because they're kinda like, you know, the exact opposite of each other.