Please, D3...no more 12 hour sub events.

Options

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    Guess what people no one is forcing you to play the PVE dont like 12 HOUR THEN DONT PLAY SIMPLE AS THAT

Excellent idea, then I don't get Cyclops and am at a disadvantage for the next PvE!

I don't see why the "Don't like it, don't do it" argument is meant to end all arguments. I don't like it so I'm telling D3 about it. If I don't do them I'll lose out and this will have a knock-on effect.

Well this is simple: It's a pat response that doesn't require any thought to produce and allows the poster to feel smugly superior. Kinda the same with all mindless responses. You can safely ignore these types of non-arguments.

ahem

I am still a very firm fan of the 8-hour refresh. I also think longer subs would be good. As it stands, if for whatever reason you miss the first couple hours of a sub, say for work or family or the rest of your life (loser!), you're sunk. Full stop. With shorter refreshes you still at least had the potential to remain competitive if you really focused on hitting the remaining time perfectly. With the 8-hour refresh that option is literally no longer available.

With regards to the final grind I hardly think I'm the only person who did that before, so that hasn't changed. It is fair to note that it is much more important now, though.
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    +1 don't like 12 hour subs (especially 2 at a time) with an 8 hour refresh, messes with sleep.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options

- Lots of recruit tokens to be earned, especially with 2 subs at a time. 8 recruit tokens a day is nothing to sneeze at.
    Again, you'd still earn those tokens if the node lasted 24 hours. Just because it comes in more frequently doesn't mean you're earning more of them.

Actually, the frenquency is exactly what causes you to earn more of them. You would earn the same tokens in a 24 hour cycle only if the overall event lasted twice as long as the 12 hour cycle event.
  • Previously when it was 2.5hrs cooldown for 12 hour sub it was:

Time / Grind no.
    0 hour / 1
    2.5hours / 2
    5th hour / 3
    7.5th hour / 4
    10th hour / 5
    11th hour / 6

Total of 6 grinds.

New 8hour cooldown:

Time / Grind no.
    0 hour / 1
    8th hours / 2
    11th hour / 3

Total of 3 grinds

They've effectively halved the no. of grinds. Not too certain why people are grumbling about this change. I'm loving it so much!
    I mean if you just choose the most sensible end-time you can effectively plan your play for it with minimal disturbances to your pesky real life.

We've got a good thing going with 8 hour cooldowns, and the Brotherhood is essentially the LR of PVE. Please don't jinx it...
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know this actually brings up a problem I've been having. It's nice to be able to choose when the overall event will end, but I've been screwed more than once on when the subs end. I pick to have the event end somewhere nice, like 5pm on my day off, only to find each individual sub ends at something insane like 4am. Is anyone else out there having this issue? Would I be alone in asking for a little support in knowing when the actual subs would end in conjunction with the overall event end?
  • I agree, if somehow the subs end could be exactly synchronized with the event end in a predictable manner, this would help a lot.
    I used to hate the 12 hour subs, but in conjunction with the 8h refresh I really love them. I have the felling I can score much more points than before compared to the maximum theoretical number of points you can get. I have now a much more relaxed and satisfying experience in regards with the PvE, so thumbs up for the 12h subs/8h refresh.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    And we go back to the suggestion : PvEs should give covers as progression rewards, with no competition.

They did that a year ago. The way the scores in this pve are going you'd have needed:
    180,000 Elektra
    160,000 cyclops red
    140,000 cyclops black
    80,000 cyclops yellow

For those that weren't around: Heroic Oscorp 1st edition.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2926
  • I so love the changes done to PVE, thanks D3 for once. 8 hour refreshes take away that grindfest ever 2.5 hours. 12h subs mean a lot of tokens and extra iso, too. I'm really happy about it.

• - Lots of recruit tokens to be earned, especially with 2 subs at a time. 8 recruit tokens a day is nothing to sneeze at.
    Again, you'd still earn those tokens if the node lasted 24 hours. Just because it comes in more frequently doesn't mean you're earning more of them.

Actually, the frenquency is exactly what causes you to earn more of them. You would earn the same tokens in a 24 hour cycle only if the overall event lasted twice as long as the 12 hour cycle event.

Given the structure of Brotherhood, 24h subs would in fact mean double the event duration. They don't cut subs to cut time, they cut sub duration to cut time.
  • Out of morbid curiosity I decided to properly play this PvE (the first since I went casual) and, WOW, this is why I stopped playing at the top tier. It's a total timesink with top 10 only possible if you spend 2hrs+ grinding the game every 12 hours, not to mention the initial clear time of 30 mins +. Once again, you're back to MPQ taking about 25% of peoples lives or 33% if you only count waking hours.

Seriously devs? You MUST be aware that havint 12 hour subs on these refresh timings pretty much destroys any time you 'gave back' to people by moving to 8 hour refreshes.

Why is it always 1 step forward, 1 step back with you guys?

2 hours grind is entirely acceptable for 24-48hr subs, but 12 hours means once again that people have to put everything else in their lives on hold to play MPQ if they want to be competitive (i.e. Top 10).
  • Arsael
    Arsael Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm agree , 12 hour sub event It's so sane for the mind.
  • slidecage wrote:
    Guess what people no one is forcing you to play the PVE dont like 12 HOUR THEN DONT PLAY SIMPLE AS THAT

Excellent idea, then I don't get Cyclops and am at a disadvantage for the next PvE!

I don't see why the "Don't like it, don't do it" argument is meant to end all arguments. I don't like it so I'm telling D3 about it. If I don't do them I'll lose out and this will have a knock-on effect.

I don't know, I happen to agree...don't play.,you don't have to be #1. I have just been grinding down essentials and am sitting comfortably around 50ish so not really in any danger to miss the new cover. I missed an entire set of subs as well because of valentines commitments. If players want to optimally grind and stare at their phone/computers for a week and schedule their lives around that then that's their choice...if d3 changes the times for a certain set of players, then other players that don't like it will be screwed...basically, you can't please everyone especially when it comes to scheduling and matters of time. If you want to be the big stick in pve...gots to put in the time like these people do already...its a choice not requirement. I happen to like 12 hour sub events, lots more ISO farming and tokens.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This feels so rushed. You have an 8 hour cooldown now which is great, but that means you have 1.5 cooldowns per sub event. It's too much.
    I set the event to end at 5am (because I'm always up late anyway) so events end at 5am or 5pm. One will start at 5am when I'm asleep so I'll lose out on about 7 hours of it, I can do the nodes once then I have to grind them down as quickly as possible then hopefully have enough people left to do a single run through of the new nodes. And then before bed I've got to grind them down to nothing again and then miss out on lots of time.

This has made the game quite high stress. I went out for a day and missed the entirety of a sub event. Because I did something other than play this game.
    First day I did the event I got to 17th overall, now since I can't grind the nodes down to dust every day I'm 117th. I thought the 8 hour cooldown was going to make this game more relaxing, but the 12 hour sub events are *worse*.

Can we stretch these events out a little more? This was designed to last longer than the 5 or 6 days it currently is when it came out. I know a lot of us don't want these 10 day long events but if it was that or rushing to the game at every 5 o'clock in the day to do the nodes, I'd honestly rather have the event last 10 days. At least then the sub events would last a decent time. As it is I feel like I'm watching Lord of the Rings at double speed because I don't have time to watch the film before work, but I still want to see it all.

You are looking at it the wrong way. Don't think of them as 1.5 cooldowns but as "have some flexibility to your 1 cooldown management!" Instead of having to play every 8 hours, you just understand that you have to play twice (the second of them grinding as much can/want) in a 12 hour lapse leaving at least 8 hours between runs. That's very liberating! Sure, the technically optimal way is at 0hs, 8hs and 11hs, but the point gain over just two runs is marginal, which is only important if you are running for top 1-2 and if you do, well, things are always going to be hard for you one way or the other.
  • The real problem with 12 hour subs is the double grind each day at the end of a sub.

Say for exampe you do a clear at the start, then a clear after 8 hours, that's 2 clears, and now you have 4 hours left

Ideally you leave all nodes at 1 to get the most points, so that's basically 4 more clears

6 clears in 12 hours.
    12 in 24 hours

2 subs = 24 clears in 24 hours???

Even at 5-6 nodes each that's like 100 nodes a day

Even if the math is slightly off, you get the idea. The reason EVERYONE preferred longer refresh is that we're doing the same shi+ so many times that it's a bore and driving people away. It's tedious!

One solution is A. To be way more lax on the reward bands. Why must 1/13th of a branch new character only go to 1% of the player base??
    B. reduce stacks so maybe there are 3 total? 0 33 66 100% points.

And allow ties, why not? Just because Joe Blow finishes a node 5 seconds before me but we do the same thing, one should get the reward and not the other. This isn't pvp

I understand you want it to be hard for players to get a maxed 3* but the first taste of a character shouldn't be so ridiculously hard to get or time consuming.

Make these first 3 covers a ton easier for everyone to get, it's not like you can do **** with a 1/1/1 character anyhow but it would reduce the insanity that pve has become.

Oh and fix the ridiculous scaling so we aren't limited to like 4 guys in our entire roster
  • The reason why there's a lot of grinding is because you can. If the enemies are Simulator Hard or second half of last Gauntlet bracket levels you wouldn't be able to do everything 6 times because it'd be too hard. After a certain point there should be a challenge mode that is drastically harder with alternative rules (otherwise nothing is very hard if you can choose your whole team). Honestly I had more problem with the introduction node than most of the level 300+ stuff simply because of who you had to use on that node.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    The reason why there's a lot of grinding is because you can. If the enemies are Simulator Hard or second half of last Gauntlet bracket levels you wouldn't be able to do everything 6 times because it'd be too hard.
    Sure you could, if you buy boosts and health packs. People would need to collectively decide if they thought it was worth it to do so, and I imagine the top of the leaderboard would be occupied by people who said "yes"
  • TaoSpoons
    Options
    The main difficulty on ISO-8 Brotherhood comes down to two things for me:
    1) The frequency with which sub-events occur (12 hour intervals).
    2) The high number of sub-events that run within the event time (2 subs running simultaneously).

If I was grinding nodes once every eight hours with a switchup every day, it'd be far more palatable. Meet Rocket and Groot had just the right event schema for me - I could PvP (or not) at my leisure in between event endings.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    The reason why there's a lot of grinding is because you can. If the enemies are Simulator Hard or second half of last Gauntlet bracket levels you wouldn't be able to do everything 6 times because it'd be too hard.
    Sure you could, if you buy boosts and health packs. People would need to collectively decide if they thought it was worth it to do so, and I imagine the top of the leaderboard would be occupied by people who said "yes"

If someone spent more HP than what the covers are worth then I have no problem with losing to guys who help subsidize the game. It's better for the game to give an incentive to spend more money over just grinding more. Now I guess an interesting question is should you contemplate just HP boost every fight if you know ahead of time that the nodes are going to be Gauntlet level hard, but I think that's more of a game's over-dependence on boosts to beat ultra hard nodes and not an issue with the particular format/placement.
  • kickpuncher11
    kickpuncher11 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Agree with OP. Quit this game after 100 days cause PVE burnt me out. Came back, and now I'm burning out again cause of this ridiculous sub length. I like the game, but I don't want to be playing all day to progress my roster.
  • I got to agree with the sub length has to be 24hr so it coincide with the time you choose. With the 12hr sub I found myself grinding 3 hrs early to grind down every point.