Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Essentials are Star-Lord (in 2) and...
    Rocket & Groot
    Last time they had a 4* essential they changed the other required character in part 2, so I expect Storm will be essential in Madripoor.
    Definitely better than last time when Beast was essential.
  • Well I do not need any of those rewards. Depending on if SHIELD wants to get top 100 alliance reward for some people I could be doing very little in this one. (I just work out of they changed the rubber banding at all now they at 8H refreshes but if they have not changed it basically might as well not be turned on)
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Any advice on this one? I don't have R&G, my SL is only 1 cover, and the Hood or Jugger combined with muscle just destroys me. This is the first pve that has just stomped me. I've wipd on that jugger/2 muscle node 3 times now. Damned whoever you go for.

I'm a new player, so highest 2*'s are Thor and Mags, about 70. Wolv is bumped to 94, and OBw to 87. But still getting curb-stomped.
  • thanos8587
    Options
    Azoic wrote:
    Any advice on this one? I don't have R&G, my SL is only 1 cover, and the Hood or Jugger combined with muscle just destroys me. This is the first pve that has just stomped me. I've wipd on that jugger/2 muscle node 3 times now. Damned whoever you go for.

I'm a new player, so highest 2*'s are Thor and Mags, about 70. Wolv is bumped to 94, and OBw to 87. But still getting curb-stomped.

these goon feed/hood or muscle threaten/jugg nodes kick everybodies butt, theyre just that ridiculous. i dont even attempt the final hood node, its not worth the points unless youre going for a top 10. you can hit a good board every now and then and win. otherwise just wait for your health packs to recharge and try again.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, I can't do one essential since I dont have R&G, and then I cant do the last hood, so I'm ranked 84...eek.

I think essential nodes should give you a 1-cover freebie
  • thanos8587
    Options
    Azoic wrote:
    Well, I can't do one essential since I dont have R&G, and then I cant do the last hood, so I'm ranked 84...eek.

I think essential nodes should give you a 1-cover freebie

it sounds like youre doing fine. dont sweat the essentials. you can hit top progression and top 150 without them just by hitting your refreshes and a small amount of grind before the subs end. without the essentials top 50 and especially top 10 are unobtainable because of the points you cant get that others can get, but youre only talking about one dd cover. dont let this game drive you crazy thinking you need to get every award every event.
  • Just noticed something a bit odd. My alliance is ranked 50 in the first sub but 53 in the main. If everyone has to play the one unrepeatable node in the main to get to the sub event how is it possible for there to be a point differential between the 2 at this point? Is there rubber banding on that one node? I was always under the impression it was just a flat 100 points.
  • dtrpath3 wrote:
    Just noticed something a bit odd. My alliance is ranked 50 in the first sub but 53 in the main. If everyone has to play the one unrepeatable node in the main to get to the sub event how is it possible for there to be a point differential between the 2 at this point? Is there rubber banding on that one node? I was always under the impression it was just a flat 100 points.

There may be people who have hit the one node in the main and haven't started on the sub yet. Rubber banding shouldn't have kicked in already, I don't think.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    dtrpath3 wrote:
    Just noticed something a bit odd. My alliance is ranked 50 in the first sub but 53 in the main. If everyone has to play the one unrepeatable node in the main to get to the sub event how is it possible for there to be a point differential between the 2 at this point? Is there rubber banding on that one node? I was always under the impression it was just a flat 100 points.

There may be people who have hit the one node in the main and haven't started on the sub yet. Rubber banding shouldn't have kicked in already, I don't think.

Ah, I didn't think of that. As someone who is somewhat competitively compulsive it wouldn't occur to me to open a brand new sub and then not play it. icon_e_confused.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I too don't have RnG and would love to get the progression cover. I do have SL and storm but could not complete the juggs/goons node last night. Since Hood is more squishy I was able to take him out but was pretty messy. Last night I wiped twice against juggs, used all my health packs and went to bed. I swear his levels went up this morning. I thought I had an understanding of scaling - last pve when I barely finished a node with minimal health it generally came back at the bottom of the 'range' for the node but I completely wiped here twice and it went up. Got a better board this morning and was able to get it done but dang. Key on both of those for me was denying team up tiles. If the mags team up ability goes off, it sux and might keep you from making it, but you're also trying to deny r/g to juggs and y to hood and taking out any blue cdt - pretty difficult if you get an average to good board. If you get a bad board and they get an early cascade, pretty much you're toast.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't bother trying to deny colors to juggernaut - Threaten resolving means the equivalent of a headbutt on every match, and Unstoppable Crash has helped me as much as it's hurt by wiping out countdown tiles. Getting rid of the Muscle countdowns and rushing my own attacks to kill juggs are my only priorities.

Also, cheap damage powers plus iso boosts are your friend against hood. Can still be foiled by a bad board but he needs to die quick no matter what, so you might as well give yourself an early advantage.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tried Captain Marvel + Daken + Human Torch against the final Hood node, it worked like a charm. Hulk+Patch is always a good way to chew through difficult nodes too. Who cares if you need a health pack afterwards with 8 hour refreshes?
  • Someone always complain...
    Progress reward is perfect for me - needed last cover - blue Groot. Ok, 66% of players might need yellow so they will complain.
    Cover rewards - Daredevil... I have him maxed, so I don't complain, even I can... but 70% of players will complain that they already have him maxed...
    Even there would be different cover, always someone who has this cover will complain.
    IF there is new cover, they would complain again, because they can not reach for it...
    Damned boring, these complains:-))
    I feel relaxed - I will play just for fun, get the progress reward and quit.

Why so serious?:-) icon_twisted.gif

we complain because we care, and also because it's FEEDBACK.

Until D3 bans opinions from these boards, you're going to see "complaints"
    Azoic wrote:

My advice if you're new is don't worry about this event - get the progression Rocket/Groot and move on. Daredevil isn't that great of a 3*. Having Star-Lord will give you a leg up on the competition if you'd like to take it seriously.

Only do nodes you're capable of finishing and that are WORTH it(amt of points vs health pack expenditure/boost expenditure). It's okay not to do every node(at your stage in the game).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Only do nodes you're capable of finishing and that are WORTH it(amt of points vs health pack expenditure/boost expenditure). It's okay not to do every node(at your stage in the game).

I totally agree here. On every sub during thick as thieves i skipped the last node - health packs were too valuable with 3-hr refreshes - and I still finished top 50 every sub and about 20-25 overall. Having all the essentials helps a ton but since I don't have RnG, top 50 doesn't look like its in the cards for me here. 8-hr refreshes lets you give the harder nodes a few tries without screwing yourself up for the next refresh, since everything will build back up.

On a different note - love the new format. Last experiment with 8-hr was much different (multiple subs running and all the dang nodes in Florida?). I feel we need some lightning rounds to fill in.
  • Is this a joke? R&G is essential? at least this event matters less than Enemy of the State...smh
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    After reading through comments, I'm just glad I was able to finish clearing the sub fully twice. It seemed a bit harder than I remembered, so I'm not sure if they bumped up the scale just a touch to increase separation at the top, or if I just didn't remember getting almost wiped by nodes marked trivial to easy.

From an above comment, I disagree about AP Iso boosts being effective. It can just as easily backfire where he steals all of them instead of you getting an early power off. I've suggested to alliance members that they bring strong damage teamups, +TUap boosts, and focus on getting that the teamups off since he doesn't steal that AP. It also helps you from getting wiped by some of the silly teamups they give the AI on these. That, 'Oh, I'm doing good' feeling that turns into a wipe because you didn't pay enough attention to the fact that hood/don/muscle comes with polarizing force, which hits decently hard without any threaten strike tiles on the board, or that jugs/Muscle x2 comes with magnetized projectiles, kinda the same deal. Not a huge problem if you prevent it, but if not... ouch.

My combo for anything hood so far has been Loki at 5/4/4, and its worked ok thus far. Forcing the ai to match-4 into colors they don't need has actually stolen enough AP to get some powers off BEFORE hood has gone down, which is quite a change from when he was 5/4/2. Patch/Obw/Loki getting hood down quick with a Berzerker rage has twice meant mopping up the rest of the node pretty darn quick due to OBW's synergy with strike tiles and ability to extend CD's. Quite fun to play.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Suddenly Twin Pistols ending the turn doesn't seem such a bad idea.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After reading through comments, I'm just glad I was able to finish clearing the sub fully twice. It seemed a bit harder than I remembered, so I'm not sure if they bumped up the scale just a touch to increase separation at the top, or if I just didn't remember getting almost wiped by nodes marked trivial to easy.

Since the last time they ran this event was before they took into account boosted character levels when labeling node difficulty those trivial/easy nodes may very well have been marked easy/normal.
  • After reading through comments, I'm just glad I was able to finish clearing the sub fully twice. It seemed a bit harder than I remembered, so I'm not sure if they bumped up the scale just a touch to increase separation at the top, or if I just didn't remember getting almost wiped by nodes marked trivial to easy.

From an above comment, I disagree about AP Iso boosts being effective. It can just as easily backfire where he steals all of them instead of you getting an early power off. I've suggested to alliance members that they bring strong damage teamups, +TUap boosts, and focus on getting that the teamups off since he doesn't steal that AP. It also helps you from getting wiped by some of the silly teamups they give the AI on these. That, 'Oh, I'm doing good' feeling that turns into a wipe because you didn't pay enough attention to the fact that hood/don/muscle comes with polarizing force, which hits decently hard without any threaten strike tiles on the board, or that jugs/Muscle x2 comes with magnetized projectiles, kinda the same deal. Not a huge problem if you prevent it, but if not... ouch.

My combo for anything hood so far has been Loki at 5/4/4, and its worked ok thus far. Forcing the ai to match-4 into colors they don't need has actually stolen enough AP to get some powers off BEFORE hood has gone down, which is quite a change from when he was 5/4/2. Patch/Obw/Loki getting hood down quick with a Berzerker rage has twice meant mopping up the rest of the node pretty darn quick due to OBW's synergy with strike tiles and ability to extend CD's. Quite fun to play.

How can you honestly say AP boosts aren't effective? MagStorm/Magstique on turn 2/3 is a serious threat, regardless of Hood.

Yes, bad boards exist if that's what you're trying to say.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Normally I do try to avoid boosting against Hood, especially if he has a rainbow team, but when he's being fed yellow like he is in these fights, your only hope of avoiding a turn 3/4 Twin Pistols nuke is a fast nuke of your own. In that situation boosting isn't so risky because he's already getting free yellow no matter what.