A couple upcoming changes to PvP events

Options

Comments

• I really hope you guys rethink some of these changes.

For a couple of days there I was really enjoying these tournaments. It was a little grindy, but all in all I felt like where I placed was up to me. Now that I'm priced out of relying on shields and low value opponents are regularly nailing me for 40+ points, all the stress, helplessness, frustration and futility that turned me off tournies before has raced back in. I've had an absolutely miserable time just trying for a modest 1,000 points in round 2 of the Ares tournament (a goal I fell well short of after hitting at least 1800 in the last 3 tournies), and if this is to be expected in every tournament going forward, then for me it's just too much stress for too little reward.

It's a really fun game, and keep up the good work every where else, but the current tournament structure is awful and with a skip-penalty incoming it's only going to get worse.

There has to be some kind of medium between just getting 4 star covers every tournament and the current way where you just have most people beat up each other senseless and no one ever progressing except for the few that plays an insane amount of hours.

I'd suggest revert the shield cost and make the 1000+ progression cover rewards like '1/3 of a cover' instead, like you got to collect 3 of those to get a cover. That way you can reasonably hit the progression rewards but D3 doesn't have to worry about everyone getting a 4 star cover and 2 3 star cover every tournament.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I really hope you guys rethink some of these changes.

For a couple of days there I was really enjoying these tournaments. It was a little grindy, but all in all I felt like where I placed was up to me. Now that I'm priced out of relying on shields and low value opponents are regularly nailing me for 40+ points, all the stress, helplessness, frustration and futility that turned me off tournies before has raced back in. I've had an absolutely miserable time just trying for a modest 1,000 points in round 2 of the Ares tournament (a goal I fell well short of after hitting at least 1800 in the last 3 tournies), and if this is to be expected in every tournament going forward, then for me it's just too much stress for too little reward.

It's a really fun game, and keep up the good work every where else, but the current tournament structure is awful and with a skip-penalty incoming it's only going to get worse.

There has to be some kind of medium between just getting 4 star covers every tournament and the current way where you just have most people beat up each other senseless and no one ever progressing except for the few that plays an insane amount of hours.

I'd suggest revert the shield cost and make the 1000+ progression cover rewards like '1/3 of a cover' instead, like you got to collect 3 of those to get a cover. That way you can reasonably hit the progression rewards but D3 doesn't have to worry about everyone getting a 4 star cover and 2 3 star cover every tournament.

Hush you. If they hear they will make all covers worth 1/3 a cover but keep everything else the same!
    *creak*
    Aahh! *hides under sheets*

• DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hi, all!

You can expect a couple of changes to the next few PvP events, starting with the second run of Ares and continuing with next week's tournaments.

The big issue we're addressing with these changes is that it was easier to stay on the top of the leaderboards than it was to gain traction at some spots in the middle. As the top players escaped the ranks where most of the players were fighting each other, they faced fewer opponents, and those were more likely to be shielded. More points were injected into the economy at the top, and they weren't trickling down. We had a number of brackets where many hundreds of points separated 1st and 2nd place.

[...stuff]

Hope you enjoy these changes, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Well... Lets see how that worked out...

2i1nin9.jpg

Oh mai...
  • Who would've thought huh.. Pretty much the same situation in my bracket.

Aside from giant rating discrepancies in the top still being there, and as strong as ever, I also like how after the change there's 16 progression reward, and according to your pic only 4 people in your bracket managed to get the first uncommon cover thus claiming 9/16 rewards.

This means above 99% of the people playing can barely grab half of the rewards. And of course the first half of them is not nearly as interesting as the other one. It seems we are balancing around 1% of the people, and even that doesn't work.
  • Hi, all!

You can expect a couple of changes to the next few PvP events, starting with the second run of Ares and continuing with next week's tournaments.

The big issue we're addressing with these changes is that it was easier to stay on the top of the leaderboards than it was to gain traction at some spots in the middle. As the top players escaped the ranks where most of the players were fighting each other, they faced fewer opponents, and those were more likely to be shielded. More points were injected into the economy at the top, and they weren't trickling down. We had a number of brackets where many hundreds of points separated 1st and 2nd place.

[...stuff]

Hope you enjoy these changes, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Well... Lets see how that worked out...

2i1nin9.jpg

Oh mai...

Sorry! icon_e_sad.gif
  • Well, I don't want to get up at 8 am to probably just get bombarded by attacks...so I threw up a shield against my better judgement. Wish I had done it the moment I was attacked the first time. Net loss was about 150-200 by the time. I decided i was not going to swim against the current. Broke into 1260 ish area before the first attack. I have a feeling there is a time lag or something between playing and being seen. Or something. Because for a good 30 min-hour I was able to saunter up to that first punisher...fighting 10 point guys who were easy for thoughtless ISO even....before I started getting hit...AGAIN..and AGAIN.. at least for the ruins tournement the 1000 was still 100 hp..so one 8 hour shield is enough for me to sleep and forget about it. I just care about the top 5 as its not worth the effort or worry for #1.

So as I see it the tournements have become "one quick push then shield and you are done.". First attack means you are spotted and its time tobhide behind a shield?

Question of the hour for me is..ppl who use a shield but then let it break off...do you have a small window before you are "noticed?" Or is it just pure luck the ppl who reached 1500 or 1900 etc?
  • Question of the hour for me is..ppl who use a shield but then let it break off...do you have a small window before you are "noticed?" Or is it just pure luck the ppl who reached 1500 or 1900 etc?

Pure luck.
    When the shields were cheaper (good ol' times) and I used more of them sometimes I was attacked right after dropping them, sometimes a few minutes later and sometimes it did take longer before I got hit.

EDIT: I really lucked out with this tournament. First time ever that I didn't get attacked at all. Usually I get attacked a lot once I reach 400, 600, 800 or 1000 points. This time nothing. Granted I played in the off hours that probably helped and thanks to all the +3x and +4x targets I didn't even have to play much.

In my bracket I'm currently rank #1 with 1650 points, next guy is at 1100, two others at 1000, and number 4 to 10 are between 900 and 600 points. Very low numbers considering the tournament ends in less than 5 hours.
  • THIS NEW SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING! There are still hundreds of points separating 1st and 2nd!!! I currently have 1040 and am 2nd. The leader has over 1800! ALL THESE CHANGES HAVE DONE NOTHING!
  • If I could get a screen cap to post, I could contradict this all. My bracket is 600 points max, with 10th only 200 points behind 1st.

This is working, it just isn't working in every bracket. If someone wants to grind to 1800, it is still possible. Also it is just as likely those people don't care about the ISO tax.

Would love to hear from Will/IceIX what they saw after this weekend across the board, instead of just one bracket at a time.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    20140120-ph8rz2b8z8.jpg

Impossible to progress for me since lot of "-50"
  • Here is what is going n in mine.
    2014-01-20_164555_zpsd67a720b.png

Can't say it's not working though since Shikamaru has spend a ton of HP. It is just as the devs had planned. In order to progress you need a ton of HP.
  • Yeah I haven't bothered spending HP in that bracket since Shikamaru has had that locked up since the first day.
  • With about 75 minutes left in my bracket,

First has about 1600 points, (shielded)
    Second has about 1200 points, (shielded)
    I'm in third with 950 (not shielded, down from 1200 overnight)
    Fourth and fifth are around 700 (one is shielded)
    Sixth through tenth are all around 650 (two are shielded)

Both the first and second place entrants have been almost perma-shielded the entire tournament, except for many 30 minute intervals where they broke shields, raised themselves 100 points or so and re-shielded immediately. That had to be crazy expensive.

I'm still scratching my head over that I lost 250 points overnight, and I still have a 250 point buffer over fourth place this late in the tournament.

Something definitely isn't right here...
  • I've only used 1 shield this round and that was just now. Got myself up to 1400 and in the top 5. Top 1 has 2000 and hes been shielded most of the time. Overall I think I'm going to net 150 hp profit this tournament as I didn't need any punisher covers. Patch will be 2/2/2. Well on my way!
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really do not like these changes. Please reverse them, it is not fun at all the way it is and it was far more enjoyable the way it was.

I cannot find anyone over 19 points which equals another big loss of points if they retaliate.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    rabscutle wrote:
    If I could get a screen cap to post, I could contradict this all. My bracket is 600 points max, with 10th only 200 points behind 1st.

This is working, it just isn't working in every bracket. If someone wants to grind to 1800, it is still possible. Also it is just as likely those people don't care about the ISO tax.

Would love to hear from Will/IceIX what they saw after this weekend across the board, instead of just one bracket at a time.

Its not for you to contradict. Your single success (that we have no proof of) doesn't negate these downright hilarious results.
    If it isn't working anywhere, then it isn't working.

Speaking of...

b3ml9d.jpg

Oh me oh my. Poor Cstar certainly didn't see that coming.
  • I've only used 1 shield this round and that was just now. Got myself up to 1400 and in the top 5. Top 1 has 2000 and hes been shielded most of the time. Overall I think I'm going to net 150 hp profit this tournament as I didn't need any punisher covers. Patch will be 2/2/2. Well on my way!

So, I feel the weekend tournament has shown only one thing: Shielding is no more 'strategic' than previous, it's just more expense, and even more required to maintain a score above 1000.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    I am finishing with an 85 classic Spidey and 85 wolverine. At 1000 points I'm thankful for shields because I get pounded like a tanking team.

The only real rebalance needed is to shave about 20% off the penalty for losses.

The mob gets stuck in the 400-600s because of the retaliation system being a 0 sum game. If more people felt like they were getting somewhere, more players from the lower rankings would stick with it.

If they feel it necessary, keep the 50 point max loss, just a larger point difference.
  • How are people pulling away still. Last rack and ruin i got to 1200 hundred no problem. I started maiking my way up again and i cant get to 1000. Ive gone balls to the wall from 814-970 like 5 times in a row. Hoping to break. Finnaly just shielded. Also i (dis)like how they increase the shield cost then shortly there after change the 100 hp to 50 hp for the 1000 prog reward. If anything can be a mild convence they change it pretty quick. Soon we will be paying iso to move gems. Betcha. I hate how much i am addicted to this game. icon_evil.gif
  • shuusin
    shuusin Posts: 27
    Options
    cstar wrote:

2i1nin9.jpg

Sorry! icon_e_sad.gif

Hey buddy, I'm kvk, keeping an eye on you for #1. I can see you struggling for 2400, I'm rooting for you to get there.