*** Gorgon ***

Options

Comments

• I'm tellin' y'all...his Red and Black are ridic. Big HP. Is he Sentry-bomb Sentry? No. But still....he's going to be top 10 if not top 3 if released as-is.

I probably can't say anything better than what Phantron already said, but really:

Debilitating Slash is what Gamora SHOULD'VE had.

But I think we can all agree Gorgon is the real star of this event. Second place goes to Caltrops icon_razz.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rkd80 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:
    In my view, there is no way he is getting released with those skills. My main reasoning is the purple stun. This would be the first time such a potent stun is not on a blue (one exception is Ms Marvel's black stun). Pairing Gorgon with DD/Cap/Spidey/etc and you will have stun galore.

Just my 2 cents of course.

so a 6 turn stun that relies on a maxed 5 covers to turn out a 3 CD tile is OP? I mean for 3 more AP Storm Classic can stun a target for 4 turns and AoE damage and before the tweak DD had a 5 turn stun for cheaper than that. No his red is strong and his black has no down side so might as well max it, so no, his purple is his worst skill and is not OP at all.

I never said he was OP, I said that combining such a long stun on a non-blue AP can potentially lead to stun locking problems that D3 tried to avoid in the past. Do you think it is just a coincidence that every stun is on blue and every heal is on yellow? They are bucketing certain move types per color for a reason.

3*'s and 4*'s

She-Hulk -- green heal
    Captain Marvel --black stun
    Daken -- heal is black
    Doc Ock--stun on green
    Gamora--stun on green
    Mystique--stun on purple
    Fury --stun on yellow

Blue Stuns---Captain America, Spidey, 4hor

While yes, yellow does have more heal there are others, you could even throw in OBW blue for heal, as for stun, you can see that blue and yellow are not the only colors for stun and heal, in fact there are already more non-blue stun's than blue
  • Facing Gorgon with DD and Elektra in SIM made me realize he isn't that scary. When he isn't being handed his AP on a silver plate by hand ninja he's just a regular old 3* with a pretty good Red. A 6 turn stun is good but at 10 purple and a 3 round delay on it, it's not game breaking. I could see Gorgon being released after Luke Cage, in a rerun of the Hand event or a Heroic.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Facing Gorgon with DD and Elektra in SIM made me realize he isn't that scary. When he isn't being handed his AP on a silver plate by hand ninja he's just a regular old 3* with a pretty good Red. A 6 turn stun is good but at 10 purple and a 3 round delay on it, it's not game breaking. I could see Gorgon being released after Luke Cage, in a rerun of the Hand event or a Heroic.

Um, that's because that team has 3 repeating red and purple powers which makes it very easy to defend.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    does anyone have his rank 5 power stats? I didn't play in the PvE and see
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The stats as listed are for five ranks.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    Apparently this also shows that 3* can still be better than 4*
    To be fair, elektra showed that pretty well too icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, is it just me, or does stunning him actually not stop call the hand from triggering?
  • Spoit wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:
    Apparently this also shows that 3* can still be better than 4*
    To be fair, elektra showed that pretty well too icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, is it just me, or does stunning him actually not stop call the hand from triggering?

That is correct. I found that out the hard way.
  • Is there a (good) reason he hasn't been released to us? Unlike Devil Dino, who wasn't complete since he was just a green, it seems weird that they have this completed character but haven't released him given the rate of new characters and all. I don't really think he'd be that crazy powerful when you factor in needing to limit one of his abilities to 3 covers as it seems to be pretty easy to scale his current abilities down in the lower cover levels.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    Is there a (good) reason he hasn't been released to us? Unlike Devil Dino, who wasn't complete since he was just a green, it seems weird that they have this completed character but haven't released him given the rate of new characters and all. I don't really think he'd be that crazy powerful when you factor in needing to limit one of his abilities to 3 covers as it seems to be pretty easy to scale his current abilities down in the lower cover levels.

Well, considering he would instnatly be a top 3 character, there are probably some balance issues with him.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    Is there a (good) reason he hasn't been released to us? Unlike Devil Dino, who wasn't complete since he was just a green, it seems weird that they have this completed character but haven't released him given the rate of new characters and all. I don't really think he'd be that crazy powerful when you factor in needing to limit one of his abilities to 3 covers as it seems to be pretty easy to scale his current abilities down in the lower cover levels.

Well, considering he would instnatly be a top 3 character, there are probably some balance issues with him.

Why do you say that? In nodes where he wasn't being spoon-fed red, he didn't seem very strong. Two of his abilities require countdowns to go off and the third, while powerful, isn't OP. Between looking at him on paper and playing him, I don't see how he's significantly better than guys like Panther, Fury, and 3* Thor and I don't see what's bad about introducing another character to the overall playerbase that's on their level (I'm truthfully not even sure he is, I'd put him closer to Blade's level, personally).
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Grizzlegom wrote:

Why do you say that? In nodes where he wasn't being spoon-fed red, he didn't seem very strong. Two of his abilities require countdowns to go off and the third, while powerful, isn't OP. Between looking at him on paper and playing him, I don't see how he's significantly better than guys like Panther, Fury, and 3* Thor and I don't see what's bad about introducing another character to the overall playerbase that's on their level (I'm truthfully not even sure he is, I'd put him closer to Blade's level, personally).

the biggest reason....He would have 10200 Health and that would automatically put him in the top tier. Add to the fact his red can wreck you and his black has no down side, he's a very problamatic character to deal with. Sure he doesn't seem strong when not being spoon fed, but when you are staring down Gorgon/X-Force/4hor and have 3 strong threats on the board, I wouldn't be liking the match up.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    the biggest reason....He would have 10200 Health and that would automatically put him in the top tier.
    So? Are you saying they shouldn't release anymore 3s that would be any good? I could understand if you were arguing that he's broken in some way, but to say that they shouldn't release him because he'd be good, is a pretty odd argument.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    the biggest reason....He would have 10200 Health and that would automatically put him in the top tier.
    So? Are you saying they shouldn't release anymore 3s that would be any good? I could understand if you were arguing that he's broken in some way, but to say that they shouldn't release him because he'd be good, is a pretty odd argument.

No not at all, I just said there would be some balance issues, I think he would need to be slightly tweaked, much like Devil Dino was.
  • You can't use Gorgon because he's not meant to be remotely balanced, and just becomes some characters turn out to be more broken than he is (like X Force) doesn't mean he's somehow fair. I think having X Force kind of makes him in a weird spot because if Gorgon was playable, you'd still have an intentionally overpowered character that isn't as good as a 4*. In fact even the NPC version of Devil Dino (with 6 AP Prehistoric Bite that does massive damage) is probably not as powerful as X Force. So it's like you get all the problems of P2W without getting the P part because X Force is still top dog and Thor is still #2 in an environment dominated by X Force, since X Force can easily take out whoever is weakest in a standard 3 person team (and very trivially in most PvP events) and let Thor work her magic on the 2on2. As long as X Force is around, you're not going to get significant money out of anyone weaker than him, so why introduce a P2W character when you're pretty sure you won't even get much money out of him? Now if X Force is magically removed from the game, then you can make a strong argument for taking Gorgon over any 4* and at least that'd get D3 a lot of money.
  • Phantron wrote:
    In your 6 sentences you used "X Force" 8 times and it's topic about Gorgon icon_mrgreen.gif
  • I'm very confused with the OP and not remotely balanced talk. Are we facing the same Gorgon? Debilitating Slash does 282 damage/AP at level 166, the stun is a randomly placed 3 turn countdown, and his black is randomly placed and not particularly powerful given it is based on the number of characters still alive. By the time it would go off on defense without feeders, you likely downed at least 1 character.

I feel like you guys are facing ridiculously scaled ones due to having 270s and have a very biased opinion here based upon that. Having fought him pretty consistently at 166, even with feeders, I truly think he's in the usable category but not game breaking or OP. *shrugs*
  • Grizzlegom wrote:
    I'm very confused with the OP and not remotely balanced talk. Are we facing the same Gorgon? Debilitating Slash does 282 damage/AP at level 166, the stun is a randomly placed 3 turn countdown, and his black is randomly placed and not particularly powerful given it is based on the number of characters still alive. By the time it would go off on defense without feeders, you likely downed at least 1 character.

I feel like you guys are facing ridiculously scaled ones due to having 270s and have a very biased opinion here based upon that. Having fought him pretty consistently at 166, even with feeders, I truly think he's in the usable category but not game breaking or OP. *shrugs*

Debiliating Slash effectively costs 5 AP because it gets rid of 5 AP against a rainbow team, and if you don't run a rainbow team the ability instead becomes "a chance to totally screw up whatever you're planning + decent damage". You might get lucky and have it drain TU, or it might drain green and you'd be pretty screwed on most green-based attack teams. The stun isn't much when the AI uses it because they don't try to protect it and ironically since he always gets purple feed, it's more likely that an available purple match is present when he uses Gorgon's Gaze, whereas if he had to collect that AP himself then there might not be very many matches left. Awaken The Hand does top tier attack tile damage if all the tiles are immediately destroyed, and if not it's a very strong nuke with some minor cascade potential. Also, while the damage hits hard enough to down most 3* tier characters, it's split into 3 waves which means it won't overkill a guy that's low on HP, and it even benefits multiple times if there are strike tiles out. Now those scenarios don't really matter while fighting him because he doesn't get paired up with anyone who can do strike tiles, and his scaling is usually high enough that you don't have to worry about overkill (because you're not coming back from a one hit kill move against high scaling).
  • There's no doubt in my mind that Gorgon will be a playable character eventually. They have the animations, they have him coded as an active character. The only problem is that I don't think how we see him now will matter when he is turned into a character. Just like we saw with Devil Dinosaur, there's a fairly good chance we'll see a heavy nerf. People on the wiki comments are already baww'ing over the low powered attacks and Prehistoric Arms over there, calling him a 'lackluster 4*' when he used to be such a monster when he was first fought. Right now, Gorgon is just an objective, a huge beastly wall to make us hate him through the EotS progression. But after they decide to initiate him, probably as yet another member of the Cabal, they'll rework him. Characters have been reworked before, even art-wise, which is why we have our current versions of Doom and Loki, after they used to be so much 2-power chaff.

Plus with Electra filling those colors in 4-star tier, there's still an opening for a Red/Black/Purple down in 3-stars.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He doesn't seem that op to me really. All his skills are reasonably costed (8-10ap) and don't do that much damage. And ap drain is not such a big deal - he'd still have to collect 10 ap to use it.