Character rankings 12/14 edition: the results!

Options

Comments

• onimus wrote:
    Storm and OBW are the only 2 stars that I still use on occasion in PVE.

Every other 2 star is just worthless once you're out of 2 star land.
    Especially Thor and Daken, who have exact copies in the 3 star world.

Magneto is good to use as a team up to hand out to people, but he's a dead space on a team. Just get a 5 purple level 15 magneto and distribute him to your alliance. Other than that, he's completely worthless once you're using a 3 star roster.
    Naw. Once transitioned, if you are talking 2*s you are usually talking PvE or specific PvP nodes like BoP. Under those conditions...
    Daken is arguably the best if not top 3 2*. True-Heal, plus high damage, plus strikes.
    OBW yeah, her powers translate to 3 and 4 stars, with health being her hole.
    Ares puts the fear of God into all my teams, as does Storm. Even in PvP. They aren't going to kill me, but losing 1.4k to the whole team? That adds up.

Thor and MMN are still GREAT batteries. Thor at 553 does a GOOD job of building up greens for a stronger green user, MMN, we know is pretty much the games best battery, with an 'OK' red power, and a blue power that can clear strike tiles.

MHawkeye is ridiculous...meh that's too far...he's dangerous when paired with someone with good shake up. Patch/Hulk bombing cna get nasty when you throw him into the mix.

The onyl reason the 2s don't scale is health/damage/X-Force.
    - Unreall
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Storm and OBW are the only 2 stars that I still use on occasion in PVE.

Every other 2 star is just worthless once you're out of 2 star land.
    Especially Thor and Daken, who have exact copies in the 3 star world.

Magneto is good to use as a team up to hand out to people, but he's a dead space on a team. Just get a 5 purple level 15 magneto and distribute him to your alliance. Other than that, he's completely worthless once you're using a 3 star roster.
    Naw. Once transitioned, if you are talking 2*s you are usually talking PvE or specific PvP nodes like BoP. Under those conditions...
    Daken is arguably the best if not top 3 2*. True-Heal, plus high damage, plus strikes.
    OBW yeah, her powers translate to 3 and 4 stars, with health being her hole.
    Ares puts the fear of God into all my teams, as does Storm. Even in PvP. They aren't going to kill me, but losing 1.4k to the whole team? That adds up.

Thor and MMN are still GREAT batteries. Thor at 553 does a GOOD job of building up greens for a stronger green user, MMN, we know is pretty much the games best battery, with an 'OK' red power, and a blue power that can clear strike tiles.

MHawkeye is ridiculous...meh that's too far...he's dangerous when paired with someone with good shake up. Patch/Hulk bombing cna get nasty when you throw him into the mix.

The onyl reason the 2s don't scale is health/damage/X-Force.
    - Unreall

I use 2*'s when I start new tournaments to keep my 3's fresh. I go from OBW - Wolverine - Ares (the only ones I kept), to (my 3*'s that are not fully covered), to any of my fully covered 3*'s. I end up with XFW.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would put new Loki right behind Hulk, top 15. Great support character when 535.
  • How come no one is "discussing" Starlord's "rank". I thought he was "powerful"?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Star-Lord will be included in the next rankings, most likely, along with Elektra, Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage, and maybe Cyclops.
  • There's still a month until the next rankings are kicked off.

Cyclops will certainly make it in, and possibly the character after him.

Though the ranking for Cyclops and the next character will almost assuredly be either inflated or deflated, based on public opinion at release, since no one will really have time to thoroughly test either.
  • Too bad I'm so lazy. I good thread to would be who was overrated/underrated when the rankings came out.
  • Too bad I'm so lazy. I good thread to would be who was overrated/underrated when the rankings came out.

I dunno. I think most of the rankings are on point - Loki higher, R&G WAYYY higher(worse than GSBW? What!?!??!), Doom higher(he's DEFINITELY better than the 4-5 above him). Then again I don't think Doom had 3rd power when this list came out. Sentry should be WAYYYY lower(he really doesn't do anything anymore). Beast shouldn't be on the list,
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Too bad I'm so lazy. I good thread to would be who was overrated/underrated when the rankings came out.

I dunno. I think most of the rankings are on point - Loki higher, R&G WAYYY higher(worse than GSBW? What!?!??!), Doom higher(he's DEFINITELY better than the 4-5 above him). Then again I don't think Doom had 3rd power when this list came out. Sentry should be WAYYYY lower(he really doesn't do anything anymore). Beast shouldn't be on the list,

That only happened because GSBW comes before R&G alphabetically => Beast got 11 6th place votes. Hopefully the order is randomized next time and we get rid of the 2* and 1*; there's little to debate there except perhaps how much Cap Marvel and MNMags are underrated.
  • daibar wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Too bad I'm so lazy. I good thread to would be who was overrated/underrated when the rankings came out.

That only happened because GSBW comes before R&G alphabetically => Beast got 11 6th place votes. Hopefully the order is randomized next time and we get rid of the 2* and 1*; there's little to debate there except perhaps how much Cap Marvel and MNMags are underrated.

No reason to get rid of 2*/1*, it helps players who aren't 3* players yet realize the lay of the land
  • Loki is top 10 imo.
  • Switchman wrote:
    Loki is top 10 imo.
    Agreed.

If I were to throw a top 10 together today it would be:
    4hor
    Xforce
    Hood
    Fury
    Loki
    Daken
    Black Panther
    Thor
    Captain America
    Patch

Hulk, Magneto and Deadpool are, like usual, sitting right on the outside looking in.

But the top 13 are very tight. I'd consider Patch, Magneto, Hulk and Deadpool to be 10a, b, c and d.
  • daibar wrote:
    Hopefully the order is randomized next time and we get rid of the 2* and 1*; there's little to debate there except perhaps how much Cap Marvel and MNMags are underrated.

I may have spoken too soon. With the new Deadpool Daily, I fully expect 2* Cap to go up at least 4 ranks.
  • When the next set of rankings come around, I think it would be prudent to have two lists:
    1. The "you have Xforce, Thor or both" Tier list.
    2. The "you are not close to having an Xforce or Thor" Tier list.

In the first tier list, Lazy Thor, Black Panther, Lazy Cap, Nick Fury, Deadpool, Blade, Patch, Mystique and Hulk would be pretty high on that list. Without Xforce or Thor, those characters are valuable because you need a damage threat to beat the enemy xforce and thor teams.

In the second tier list, you're looking at Hood, Loki, Cyclops, Luke Cage, Rocket and Groot, Magneto and Daken as topping that list, as they are excellent complements to Xforce and Thor (some better match one than the other).

It wouldn't be perfect, but a complete list doesn't serve much purpose to anyone, really.
  • Should we follow this ranking when we get new covers and roster spots are full?

I have 10 roster spots with the following:
    3*Cyclops Lvl 43 0/1/1
    3*Storm Lvl 40 0/1/1
    1* BW Lvl 35 4/5
    2*Thor Lvl 30 2/0/2
    2* Capt Marvel Lvl 18 1/1/1
    2* BW Lvl 15 0/0/1
    2* Daken Lvl 15 0/0/1
    2*Hum. Torch Lvl 15 0/0/1
    2* Storm Lvl 15 0/0/1
    2* Wolverine Lvl 15 1/0/0

I have the following 2* and 3* covers
    2* Capt America Yellow
    3* Gamora Red
    2* Hawkeye Purple
    2* Hawkeye Blue
    2* Ares Red

Should I be dumping characters for any of these new characters... if so which? Thanks!
  • onimus wrote:
    When the next set of rankings come around, I think it would be prudent to have two lists:
    1. The "you have Xforce, Thor or both" Tier list.
    2. The "you are not close to having an Xforce or Thor" Tier list.

In the first tier list, Lazy Thor, Black Panther, Lazy Cap, Nick Fury, Deadpool, Blade, Patch, Mystique and Hulk would be pretty high on that list. Without Xforce or Thor, those characters are valuable because you need a damage threat to beat the enemy xforce and thor teams.

In the second tier list, you're looking at Hood, Loki, Cyclops, Luke Cage, Rocket and Groot, Magneto and Daken as topping that list, as they are excellent complements to Xforce and Thor (some better match one than the other).

It wouldn't be perfect, but a complete list doesn't serve much purpose to anyone, really.

The danger with this separation is that let's say I have EVERYTHING in game already: covers, iso, characters, etc. This means, if a new character sucks and doesn't do anything for me(particularly in PVP, PVE can already be conquered with a number of characters) why do I care about them? This is essentially the problem with X-Force/4*Thor - there's really no reason to deviate from them(or scaling makes it so you can't). Ultimately I think this poll should answer the question 'is it worth it to pour iso/covers/HP into this character?

And there's also the fact that this is a 'choose three(two in PVP) game, so we have to consider character synergy. 2*Mag is pretty tinykitty by himself, but obviously Mystique/Hawkeye/Storm make him much more desirable.

I guess my thing is we can't look at characters in a vacuum(What if X-force didn't exist? What if I'm only using this character?)

I like to look at the current list as a 'usefulness' list. Different players have different preferences(People have used daredevil before his buff, and I hear about them using him after, go figure).

I like the list as is for the same reason I like 1* and 2* characters being presented on the list: there's lots of different players trying to do different things and unless we have a number of categories and separate votes(with people VOLUNTEERING to sort them and maintain them) it's not gonna happen.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think we need to consider having separate lists based on roster types. Sure, the way a 2* player ranks 2* characters may be very different than the way a 3* player ranks them. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter much whether a character is ranked 21st or 24th, or if they are ranked 7th or 9th. But it makes a huge difference whether they are 9th or 21st. Or to put it a different way, you should look at the list and be thinking "Where is the cut-off for top tier vs. mid-tier vs. low-tier 3*'s?" and the same for 2*'s. You want every character that is in the appropriate top-tier for where you are in your progression. You may want low- or mid-tier characters depending on how much of a collector you are, whether you like the character or one of their abilities, or whether they complement a top-tier character.

But I don't think we need to do anything to make the process more complicated in the hopes of getting a tiny refinement.
  • To defend my previous post a little, removing 2* and 1* from the survey would slightly simplify it with the result of improved accuracy. All we have to do to compensate is add the rankings of those characters as an addendum to the list. It doesn't really matter how many 3* OBW and Ares are better than unless you're placing some Vegas style bets; the Iso and HP required to invest in them vs a 3* are in different leagues.
    That list is:

2* Black Widow (original)
    2* Ares
    2* Storm (classic)
    2* Thor
    2* Daken
    2* Magneto (Marvel Now)
    2* Wolverine (Astonishing)

2* Hawkeye (modern)
    2* Human Torch
    2* Captain Marvel
    2* Captain America

1* Juggernaut
    2* Bullseye
    2* Moonstone
    1* Black Widow (Modern)
    1* Storm (modern)
    1* Iron Man (Model 35)
    1* Hawkeye (classic)
    1* Venom
    2* Bag Man
    1* Yelena Belova

These 21 ranks aren't going to change by more than 1 or 2 spots each, and they're not introducing any more 1 or 2* at this time. I think only Thor and CStorm, and MBW and MStorm shuffled spots from last time. (Not counting bagman due to survey bias).

It's true that some people will use this list as the end-all, but other players will find combinations that work far better for them; a lot of people said Mystique's infiltration sucked before they realized her power with MNMags. I think it would be interesting if there was an additional starting question in the survey graphs. eg:

What is your approximate MPQ power level?
    1. Maxed X-Thor
    2. 6 or more maxed 3*** and 4****s
    3. 2-5 maxed 3***
    4. 4+ maxed 2**
    5. A maxed 2**
    6. No maxed 2**

Then you could have some sort of multi-line graph with each of the character rankings
    - Overall Ranking (placement)
    - Average ranking
    - Average ranking in each power group
    Y - ranking
    X - Characters (sorted by overall ranking)

However, I think odds would be that the results would be almost the same perhaps with more deviation in the newest groups.
  • daibar wrote:
    It doesn't really matter how many 3* OBW and Ares are better than unless you're placing some Vegas style bets

But it does matter which 2* are better than 3* because there are some really, really bad 3*.

And again, are you volunteering to do this? The person who runs this already said they were time stretched as is.
  • Grantilis
    Options
    I don't see a need to separate out the groups from 2* and 3*. It's pretty obvious that most 4*, with the obvious exception of invisible woman all take top 10 spots. The bottom rankings are fairly set with 1* and bagman.

I see an interest in keeping all the characters, this is because as new 2*/3*/4* gets fade their interactions with other characters change. I could honestly seeing X-Force/Star Lord/Hood being a viable and nasty team based on their ability sets.