Character rankings 12/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arondite wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Why would being inferior to X Force put you at top 20? In terms of pure damage potential, the #2 character the game is still 'pre X Force'.
    In terms of pure damage potential, x-force is #2, after FT.
    Speed / kills goes to xf
    For one, maybe 2 people. But for 395s? You need the 10k hits every red match and change from FT. X-force has better initial burst, especially with how blacktile.pnggreentile.png share an AP boost, but he rapidly runs out of steam around the 20-30k health mark unless the enemy has a greentile.png strong tile
  • onimus wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Why would being inferior to X Force put you at top 20? In terms of pure damage potential, the #2 character the game is still 'pre X Force'.
    A character can still be useful without being Xforce.

Pairing with Xforce, for example, sky rockets you up the list.

Magneto, Deadpool, 4hor, Hood, 3 star Thor, Fury, Daken. Even Captain Marvel.

There is also Patch, whose sustain makes him good from 0 to 700 for almost no health packs, especially when paired with Daken.

Hulk is strong because of his combo with Patch to create what Sentry used to be. Strong, reliable, quick AoE damage at the expense of health packs.

Then there are characters like Captain America who has use in both PVE and PVP, so he's versatile. Or Falcon or Grey Suit who are fringe top 20 for being super strong in PVE.

Sentry does not go well with Xforce because you don't want Xforce eating unnecessary damage from Sentry's abilities. He's not good for climbing. He isn't very strong in PVE. And he isn't reliable either.

There are multiple ways to be top 20 without being as good as Xforce.
    Sentry has none of those qualities.
    Sentry's only real use is to hope people still fear what he used to be. And to damage your team for mediocre to decent-ish turn ending damage.

I imagine it is beginning to look like I'm stuck on Sentry. I just don't see how he could be anything above 22 or maybe 23.

Okay, something definitely got lost between what I originally wrote and what everyone thought I wrote. This is what I originally wrote:
    I brainstormed a lot about Sentry, and I think that he can be an excellent transition character in a similar vein to Gamora if he's literally your only useable character for a while. The thing about Sentry is that Supernova is still a great ability: 3-4k potential team damage for 12 AP is amazing, and is miles better than most transition characters / teams you can come up with. The drawback of course is that you kill your own team, but if you run Sentry / Loaner / 2* Daken, then only Sentry is going to require health packs. I could see this team composition easily punching above its weight class and earning a lot more covers than most other 3* / Loaner / 2* team composition. Of course, Sentry becomes pretty useless once you actually make the transition and is a terrible long-term investment, but until then, he's probably pretty great.

And this is what I think everyone thought I wrote:
    Sentry is still a top tier character. He has the same amount of HP as X-Force, destroys everyone on defense, and deserves to be top 10 in the rankings. He is totally useful in a full, fleshed out roster, and deserves all the playtime in the world because he's super underrated and still super awesome.

I'm not arguing that Sentry is pretty weak for someone with a full roster nowadays: there are many better options and I never use him anymore because of that. All I'm saying is that for a transitioning guy with not many other 3*s but for whatever reason has a 5 red Sentry, running Sentry / 2* Daken / Loaner will be significantly better than running another, average mixed 3* composition. Just think about it: your PvP team consists of a 3* character, a 2* character, and a loaner (which is basically every PvP tournament for a transitioner). What 3* character do you pick? I would definitely pick BP / Patch / LazyThor / Punisher / Thor / Gamora over Sentry, and then Sentry is probably equal to or better than every single other 3* in this format.

The ONLY point I'm trying to make is that if you're a guy with a Sentry and not many 3*'s, then pumping iso into him could pay off and let you punch above your weight class. This case seems to have gotten lost amidst everyone saying "oh, Sentry is the worst character ever now, why would you ever use him" sentiment that all of us privileged X-Force people are spouting. Yes, he is a bad long-term investment and a bad character once you have a full roster. But does that mean that he is utterly worthless for every single player 100% of the time? No, because he's actually pretty good in that one specific scenario.
    I'm a commander of an alliance that has multiple people still transitioning.

When they ask for advice, I recommend they level Daken, Patch, Xforce (if they have 5 covers in either green or black), Thor, Hood, Captain Amerca, Black Panther, Magneto etc to help their transitioning roster.

I don't think anyone has Sentry on that list.

I have made my mistakes of throwing ISO into non competitive characters, like Falcon (not to start an argument on his validity) and I deeply regretted it.

Sentry may make them a little more competitive in the short term, but at the end of the day it is a waste of ISO and I hate to recommend wasting ISO to my teammates. It hurts them and, by extension, the alliance.

That is all I'm saying.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think NP's argument is for people who went ahead and imcoin.pnged up sentry while he was still good, but somehow didn't actually manage to get enough other covers to be able to do anything else? I'm still not sure if I'd recommend him in that edge case either, as paying hard isn't going to be sustainable
  • Who is the top 5 on the list?
    Missing of 1-5 ranking.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Angela90 wrote:
    Who is the top 5 on the list?
    Missing of 1-5 ranking.

mischiefmaker has yet to post the exact rankings, so just wait a bit they should come soon.

I'd think it would look like
    4. Fury
    3. 3* Thor
    2. 4* Thor
    1. Xforce
  • eidehua wrote:
    Angela90 wrote:
    Missing of 1-5 ranking.

mischiefmaker has yet to post the exact rankings, so just wait a bit they should come soon.

4. Fury
    3. 3* Thor
    2. 4* Thor
    1. Xforce

Let hope it will b out ASAP.
    Hope that the top 3 will not b having two Thor lol.
  • Angela90 wrote:
    eidehua wrote:
    Angela90 wrote:
    Missing of 1-5 ranking.

4. Fury
    3. 3* Thor
    2. 4* Thor
    1. Xforce

Let hope it will b out ASAP.
    Hope that the top 3 will not b having two Thor lol.

I'm glad you said 'hope' and not 'bet'.
  • The problem with Sentry is that to win with him you pretty much have to know the game inside out and if you know the game inside out you should have better options than Sentry to use. Being able to evaluate when is the correct time to use Supernova is likely one of the hardest thing to do in this game, and if you got the skills to do that, you'd be placing well easily in all types of events and could just use any of your other powerful characters instead. It's not so simple as 'get everyone down to 4K and then Supernova' because usually certain characters are exceedingly dangerous if not killed and Supernova is a 4 match move, but if you say do 2500 damage to OBW or The Hood via match 3s before you got a Supernova this is no longer a very good situation to use Supernova, but on the other hand since you don't know if you'll necessarily hit your 4 red matches it'd also be equally dangerous to just leave such a character alive only to find that you never hit Supernova.
  • Seriously I am addicted to the character rankings. I was refreshing this page non-stop for new stuff the past week and especially for top 5 on the last 2 days. Let me know please when they'll be out so I can stop going crazy waiting.
  • MrHappyface
    MrHappyface Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    zpzpz wrote:
    Seriously I am addicted to the character rankings. I was refreshing this page non-stop for new stuff the past week and especially for top 5 on the last 2 days. Let me know please when they'll be out so I can stop going crazy waiting.

Haven't you heard? The owner of this thread got his house burglarized, so he is without a computer right now. It's gonna be a month before he can afford a new one.
  • zpzpz wrote:
    Seriously I am addicted to the character rankings. I was refreshing this page non-stop for new stuff the past week and especially for top 5 on the last 2 days. Let me know please when they'll be out so I can stop going crazy waiting.

Haven't you heard? The owner of this thread got his house burglarized, so he is without a computer right now. It's gonna be a month before he can afford a new one.

**** that's horrible. But I'm pretty sure top 4 is obvious: XForce > Thor > Thor > Fury. I mean, I COULD be wrong(because this is public opinion we're talking about) but the pecking order is very clear.
  • Really don't understand how some people vote, hood at 8!? Behind black panther and capt A!Hood is easily a top 5 character. Can only assume a lot of you don't play pvp's at the top end.

Oh and Fury in the top 5 is just crazy, always happier to face a 270 Fury than a 166 hood and co..
  • Jimilinho wrote:
    Really don't understand how some people vote, hood at 8!? Behind black panther and capt A!Hood is easily a top 5 character. Can only assume a lot of you don't play pvp's at the top end.

Oh and Fury in the top 5 is just crazy, always happier to face a 270 Fury than a 166 hood and co..

There are two team comp ideologies in this game for PVP:

1. Heavy hitter plus support.
    This will be your typical 4hor, Xforce, Thor, Fury or Black Panther paired with a strong support, such as Daken, Loki, Blade, Deadpool or Hood.

2. Heavy hitter plus heavy hitter.
    This will be a 4hor, Xforce, Thor, Fury or Black Panther paired with another heavy hitter, preferably one without sharing colors.

The supports are optional. But the heavy hitters are required.
    You'll never see a Hood Loki team, because they have nothing to do with all the AP they're stealing. And they are too weak in health.

So, while Hood is very strong, he is not an essential part of a team comp, whereas the furies, Black panthers etc are.

Now, that's not to say you'll see a lot of those characters because of the dominating choke hold Xforce and 4hor have on the PVP scene. But that doesn't mean that they are weak if you do not possess those stronger 4 star characters.

When facing a team with a level 166 Hood, I bring my level 166 Hood and now it is a 1 on 1 between my Xforce and whoever they have on their team. And that is Hood's biggest weakness. His strength isn't his damage, his health or his other capabilities. His biggest strength can be cancelled out relatively easily by other top teams, leaving you with an AI controlled heavy hitter on defense that the human player can take out easily.

That is why he is consistently underrated in these rankings.

Don't ask me why Captain America is that high though. He should probably have been 3 or 4 spots lower.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Jimilinho wrote:
    Really don't understand how some people vote, hood at 8!? Behind black panther and capt A!Hood is easily a top 5 character. Can only assume a lot of you don't play pvp's at the top end.
    X-Force has trivialized Hood, especially at the top end. Hood used to be scary because he would slow down your game quite a bit. Now, if you have decently-leveled X-Force with 5 green covers you can boost +3 green/black, make two green matches and then one-shot Hood. I used to use Hood for hopping all the time but now if I bring him along it paints a huge target on my back. I don't expect to get any defensive wins with Fury but if I use him when hopping it generally means I can get through 3 fights and reshield before I get attacked. This isn't the case with Hood anymore.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    onimus wrote:

Don't ask me why Captain America is that high though. He should probably have been 3 or 4 spots lower.

Lcap is right where he should be. He is the uncrowned king of pve, as you can use him to be at any scaled pve enemy.

If this is a purely pvp ranking, then maybe you are right, be should be rank lower. But since it consider both pvp and pve, I think lcap deserve his ranking.
  • Rocket & Groot definitely too low*, probably because of the lack of covers thing. Lets not forget that he's one of the few decent true-healers out there - especially at 5 yellow, and his blue is one of the most powerful strike tile generators out there. Running him with Patch and Daken in the current PvE means that I can grind most nodes in 'normal' mode as long as I like without needing to use 1 health pack.

He'll never be a 'Top 10' but he's a solid option for the PvP grind to 700pts and PvE node clears.

Despite all that, the sad fact is that it's hard to justify spending much ISO on 3*'s these days...
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some notes on a few characters I think were slightly underrated.
    28. 3* Doctor Doom
    He's #1 in "Most likely to get a good buff." When he returns to tokens with a new third power, I expect him to be excellent against 4-Thor in particular.

Called it? I wouldn't yet put Diabolical Plot into the same usefulness level as Mischief, but at least he's got his 3rd power now.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Jimilinho wrote:
    X-Force has trivialized Hood, especially at the top end. Hood used to be scary because he would slow down your game quite a bit. Now, if you have decently-leveled X-Force with 5 green covers you can boost +3 green/black, make two green matches and then one-shot Hood. I used to use Hood for hopping all the time but now if I bring him along it paints a huge target on my back. I don't expect to get any defensive wins with Fury but if I use him when hopping it generally means I can get through 3 fights and reshield before I get attacked. This isn't the case with Hood anymore.

I'm getting confused as I still see references to +3 boosts, but I thought those were retired ages ago? Are you just working off of an old stockpile or is there some boosting trick I'm missing?
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    a6fan36 wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Jimilinho wrote:

I'm getting confused as I still see references to +3 boosts, but I thought those were retired ages ago? Are you just working off of an old stockpile or is there some boosting trick I'm missing?

you can stack the +1 boosts for AP up to 3. the % damage up to 5.
  • eidehua wrote:
    a6fan36 wrote:

you can stack the +1 boosts for AP up to 3. the % damage up to 5.

Holy cow. How did I miss that "boost more" button? I thought it was just to buy more boosts. I am an idiot. Thanks for replying.