Character rankings 12/14 edition: the results!

Options

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Loki gets 8 AP back in two turns (technically they're 3-turn tiles, but since it triggers on your turn, it's functionally the same as a 2-turn tile cast on his turn)

They are technically 2-turn tiles that are functionally 1-turn tiles.
    Match-5s and 6s are even worse -- you don't get any more AP (in fact you often get less, since T- and L-way matches typically only get you 5-7 AP), and on the flip side, your opponent gets first crack at a critical tile and the bonus damage it brings.

Mischief does not end your turn. You get first crack at the critical tile.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Anybody else shocked at how low She-Hulk is ranked? She has a very good AOE for 9 AP and it does good board shake up, her blue in PVE can be awsome, her green might be horrible, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad. I actually like playing her a lot more than Hulk. I don't think she is top 10 but she should be in the 11-15 range. Good health, strong red, and situational blue and pairs really well with X-Force if you are going up against a red primary color. Lot's of board shake up and AOE damage. I highly recomend her and she as she is a very solid 3* character.

What are you talking about ? She hulk is really bad. The only good thing about her is the red. The other two powers are just worthless.

You are really underestimating her blue in PVE. She can convert 3 CD tiles to strike tiles and they are really strong. I only have purlple elektra and when I converted 3 CD to strike tiles then used Elekra's purple to generate another strike tile for myself. She has 8500 health and her red destroys the entire bottom of the board and can create a cascade and for 9AP does solid AOE damage. This ranking says she is really bad and I just don't think that is the case. Here are characters I would take her over
    BWGS, IM40, Doom, Loki, Gamora, Groot, spiderman, storm, Doc Ock, Beast, Falcon, Gamora, Colossus, Hulk(I will admit I am just not a fan of Hulk).

I would put her in the same class as psylock, HT, Punisher, Lcap. I am not saying she is a top character just under rated in her rankings.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Anybody else shocked at how low She-Hulk is ranked? She has a very good AOE for 9 AP and it does good board shake up, her blue in PVE can be awsome, her green might be horrible, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad. I actually like playing her a lot more than Hulk. I don't think she is top 10 but she should be in the 11-15 range. Good health, strong red, and situational blue and pairs really well with X-Force if you are going up against a red primary color. Lot's of board shake up and AOE damage. I highly recomend her and she as she is a very solid 3* character.

What are you talking about ? She hulk is really bad. The only good thing about her is the red. The other two powers are just worthless.

You are really underestimating her blue in PVE. She can convert 3 CD tiles to strike tiles and they are really strong. I only have purlple elektra and when I converted 3 CD to strike tiles then used Elekra's purple to generate another strike tile for myself. She has 8500 health and her red destroys the entire bottom of the board and can create a cascade and for 9AP does solid AOE damage. This ranking says she is really bad and I just don't think that is the case. Here are characters I would take her over
    BWGS, IM40, Doom, Loki, Gamora, Groot, spiderman, storm, Doc Ock, Beast, Falcon, Gamora, Colossus, Hulk(I will admit I am just not a fan of Hulk).

I would put her in the same class as psylock, HT, Punisher, Lcap. I am not saying she is a top character just under rated in her rankings.

I mean she's underrated, but you're going overboard when you put her at the same power level as LCap and the RGB twins...
  • wymtime
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

I mean she's underrated, but you're going overboard when you put her at the same power level as LCap and the RGB twins...

Ok maybe I got a little excited and went a little overboard. icon_redface.gif
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Loki gets 8 AP back in two turns (technically they're 3-turn tiles, but since it triggers on your turn, it's functionally the same as a 2-turn tile cast on his turn)
    They are technically 2-turn tiles that are functionally 1-turn tiles.
    Good catch, fixed.
    Match-5s and 6s are even worse -- you don't get any more AP (in fact you often get less, since T- and L-way matches typically only get you 5-7 AP), and on the flip side, your opponent gets first crack at a critical tile and the bonus damage it brings.
    No, what I meant is that if you choose not to take the match-5 ("the flip side"), your opponent gets first crack at the critical tile. I'll reword it.
  • Honestly, I am shocked that Sentry is still rated in the top 20.

This is an unusual case of people overrating a recently nerfed character.

It usually happens the other way around.
  • Any chance we can get a heat map like the last ranking? Kind of liked that, especially from someone who ranked Loki in the top 10. My love for Loki is well documented in line chats as well as my (Loki/Rags/Storm) videos.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    Options
    No, what I meant is that if you choose not to take the match-5 ("the flip side"), your opponent gets first crack at the critical tile. I'll reword it.

Ah, OK. In this situation I usually take the match-5 and hope I can destroy some of the CD tiles in my extra turn.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some notes on a few characters I think were slightly underrated.

22. 3* Rocket and Groot
    Blammo! We Got Ya! -- This power is unique for destroying a lot of tiles without destroying special tiles, except for those at the center. Most other tile-destruction powers (Beast, BWGS, Rags, Hulk, She-Hulk, Storm, Punisher, X-Force) can mess up friendly tiles.

23. 3* Loki
    The AI will always go for a 4-match. Some AI cascades can be ridiculous. Loki is the best defense against this. He's become my most used character, fitting in well with many teams. I rank him higher than Hood.

28. 3* Doctor Doom
    He's #1 in "Most likely to get a good buff." When he returns to tokens with a new third power, I expect him to be excellent against 4-Thor in particular.

36. 4* Invisible Woman
    She's excellent in Survival Mode. It's nearly impossible to make her relevant in a single match, but she's extremely powerful in an extended match. I tried to break the game with her, but had trouble getting more than 40 bubbles on the board. Iron Man 40 - 553 and MN Mags are her best partners. Use force Bubbles to isolate the good Red tiles for 5x5 Magnetic Flux, grab 25 AP with that, then blow up force bubbles for another 24 AP, and you're up 49-14-9= 26 AP. Rinse and repeat.
  • wymtime
    Options
    Some notes on a few characters I think were slightly underrated.

22. 3* Rocket and Groot
    Blammo! We Got Ya! -- This power is unique for destroying a lot of tiles without destroying special tiles, except for those at the center. Most other tile-destruction powers (Beast, BWGS, Rags, Hulk, She-Hulk, Storm, Punisher, X-Force) can mess up friendly tiles.

He is just too new to tell how good he really is. Not enough people have been able to pump ISO into him or get enough covers of him to see how good he can be. Give him another 3-6 months and we will see where he really ends up.
    23. 3* Loki
    The AI will always go for a 4-match. Some AI cascades can be ridiculous. Loki is the best defense against this. He's become my most used character, fitting in well with many teams. I rank him higher than Hood.

I would not put Loki over Hood. Hood steels AP every turn and his yellow now does a ton of damage even if it ends the turn. Both have low health and Hood still feels like more of a scarcrow on Defense. When I see Loki I have not worried about him stealing AP becuase if I do match 4 it has normally given me enough AP to squash him with a big move. He can't steal if he is dead. He might be a little higher, but without a true damage move I don't think he should go much higher.
    28. 3* Doctor Doom
    He's #1 in "Most likely to get a good buff." When he returns to tokens with a new third power, I expect him to be excellent against 4-Thor in particular.
    I 100% agree. I think he is going to be a beast once he gets a third power. He will have probably over 10k health and his attack tiles are already awsome.
    36. 4* Invisible Woman
    She's excellent in Survival Mode. It's nearly impossible to make her relevant in a single match, but she's extremely powerful in an extended match. I tried to break the game with her, but had trouble getting more than 40 bubbles on the board. Iron Man 40 - 553 and MN Mags are her best partners. Use force Bubbles to isolate the good Red tiles for 5x5 Magnetic Flux, grab 25 AP with that, then blow up force bubbles for another 24 AP, and you're up 49-14-9= 26 AP. Rinse and repeat.

Since you agree that she is nearly impossible to make her relevant in a single match, there is no reason to put iso into her. Survival mode is new and cool, but spiderman, and falcon shine so much more than her in this mode. The fact of the matter is her abilities just cost too much. I am glad you had fun trying to break the game, but I can't recomend to anyone putting ISO into her until she gets buffed again. The fact that she is 4* and costs 400k+ ISO to get fully leveled in my mind also makes her worse since there are so many better 3* who can shine in regular PVE as well as survivor mode. I will give you this she is still better than Beast though icon_e_wink.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And now we're down to 11 characters in 9 tokens.
    icon_thor.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_daken.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_blade.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_hood.png
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_thor.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_daken.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_blade.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_hood.png

I have no idea what this post means. This isn't me being rude, I legitimately just don't have enough forum/game knowledge yet to understand.

For a newbie's sake, could you elaborate?
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    Arondite wrote:

I have no idea what this post means. This isn't me being rude, I legitimately just don't have enough forum/game knowledge yet to understand.

For a newbie's sake, could you elaborate?
    2 thors and 2 wolverines.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Honestly, I am shocked that Sentry is still rated in the top 20.

This is an unusual case of people overrating a recently nerfed character.

It usually happens the other way around.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd even put him in the top third of 3*s now, definitely below punisher tier
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Late to the thread, but thanks Mischiefmaker for your effort. I think in the future, this is the best approach. Fast and efficient, write-up only for those you feel are significant changes.

The top tiers are not reported yet, but I am glad to see Lcap and Cmag in this group. I really think these 2 characters are solid character, as i find myself using them often in pve and pvp.

My prediction for top 3. Xforce, Thorina and Hood.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    Options
    Sentry's red and green still do massive damage, although green is a lot slower. Yellow takes off too much health to be sustainable. I think his placement at #17 is appropriate.
  • Sentry's red and green still do massive damage, although green is a lot slower. Yellow takes off too much health to be sustainable. I think his placement at #17 is appropriate.
    Mischiefmaker said it best I think.

His red and yellow are great if hopping because of how much damage they deal. But now that Green is so slow, he can't be used in hopping. So now you're just dealing a ton of damage to yourself to beat a team that many teams can kill with a lot less self damage.

His abilities, all by themselves, are nice. But together, they don't really form a coherent, usable character. The only reason I see to play him is if you bought covers and maxed him back when he was good and now are stuck with him as one of your only 3 stars.

I think he was very very overrated this set of rankings.

I had him rated at #25. And I felt generous.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Sentry's red and green still do massive damage, although green is a lot slower. Yellow takes off too much health to be sustainable. I think his placement at #17 is appropriate.
    Mischiefmaker said it best I think.

His red and yellow are great if hopping because of how much damage they deal. But now that Green is so slow, he can't be used in hopping. So now you're just dealing a ton of damage to yourself to beat a team that many teams can kill with a lot less self damage.

His abilities, all by themselves, are nice. But together, they don't really form a coherent, usable character. The only reason I see to play him is if you bought covers and maxed him back when he was good and now are stuck with him as one of your only 3 stars.

I think he was very very overrated this set of rankings.

I had him rated at #25. And I felt generous.

I brainstormed a lot about Sentry, and I think that he can be an excellent transition character in a similar vein to Gamora if he's literally your only useable character for a while. The thing about Sentry is that Supernova is still a great ability: 3-4k potential team damage for 12 AP is amazing, and is miles better than most transition characters / teams you can come up with. The drawback of course is that you kill your own team, but if you run Sentry / Loaner / 2* Daken, then only Sentry is going to require health packs. I could see this team composition easily punching above its weight class and earning a lot more covers than most other 3* / Loaner / 2* team composition. Of course, Sentry becomes pretty useless once you actually make the transition and is a terrible long-term investment, but until then, he's probably pretty great.
  • Sentry plays a lot like Thor (4*) where he is most effective if you're playing to lose, which is always true on defense as well. Like Power Surge, Supernova tends to be an equalizer move that tilts the state of the game toward neutral, which is great when you're losing but not very good when you're winning. In the absence of boosts it is quite likely a transition player is playing quite a number of games from a losing position, but it is also quite awkward when you've successfully knocked out 2 guys and have 11 red AP and realize using a Supernova is only going to set you back a lot, but you don't have anything else available and you're not sure if something else can go wrong by the time you got something else ready.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Sentry plays a lot like Thor (4*) where he is most effective if you're playing to lose, which is always true on defense as well. Like Power Surge, Supernova tends to be an equalizer move that tilts the state of the game toward neutral, which is great when you're losing but not very good when you're winning. In the absence of boosts it is quite likely a transition player is playing quite a number of games from a losing position, but it is also quite awkward when you've successfully knocked out 2 guys and have 11 red AP and realize using a Supernova is only going to set you back a lot, but you don't have anything else available and you're not sure if something else can go wrong by the time you got something else ready.

If you're playing Sentry / Daken / Loaner, what else are you going to use to knock out the two other guys? If you're playing a somewhat standard PvP 500ish point 3* wall of 6800 HP characters, world rupture / sacrifice / chemical reaction isn't going to be enough to down the enemy team by the time you get supernova out. I would imagine that with that team comp, you 2* your way up to 400, and then supernova the enemy team down as your main strategy.