MPQ Interview At Marvel.com: Elektra Revealed!

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Unless the black creates a ridiculous number of trap tiles (like, 25) it's just not that create great the AI tends to be a cascade machine. For 1 more black you have Surgical Strike which can get rid of most problems at the source. Okay so comparing to X Force might not be totally fair (but she's a 4*), but for 2 more black you get Rage of the Panther which will solve most of the problems anyone not having incredible PvE scaling issues might face at the source level. I think it'd make more sense if it just negated the next 2 AP consuming moves instead.

Based on the description, neither XForce nor Surgical would be overly effective directly against her. They might clear out the tiles (XForce more likely to), but they'll inflict 0 damage to her in the process, which means having to recharge those abilities, and praying you got all the traps in the process.

If Purple is her strongest color (and it certainly could be, that's the top listed), she becomes a royal pain for XForce, because he's doing no damage with his big moves, and leeching a generally useless color in purple. He'd still be able to assassinate her teammates easily, but actually killing Elektra is going to require some effort if she has those tiles out.

Jury is out until the actual specs are listed, but there's potential for her to be a really nasty support piece.

Edit: Meh, just read it again, any match clearing out the traps limits it, so yes, it requires a bunch of tiles to be effective. Not sure 25 is the number, but I think at least 8

I'm not talking about her in a matchup issue. I'm talking about a tradeoff. The black the most you could get out of it would be say they got an X Force (the move) ready and you happen to have 10 black so you use it and take no damage, and that sounds pretty good. Problem is for 1 more black, if you had X Force instead, Surgical Strike will usually get rid of the source of the problem as it has a very high probability of killing whoever is causing the problem. Even without X Force, Rage of the Panther will solve most problems at 2 more black, again by getting rid of the source of the problem. The black needs to reliably block 2 AP consuming moves because if it only blocks one then you're better off with an offensive black move instead. I don't think even with 8 traps it will reliably block 2 moves since the AI is a cascade machine and they also use their AP as soon as possible, making it impossible to plan for these things. Unless your plan is to hand them a miracle cascade so that they can use all their moves on the same turn, this just isn't going to work. And handing the AI a miracle cascade is probably not a good idea either.

Polarity pointed out that since this occurs on the enemy's turn they get the benefit of any potential cascade, so basically each turn the enemy gets cascades as if it can destroy at least 4 tiles every turn (match 3 + trap), and that's a nontrivial advantage in cascades too.
    Do we know that it actually gets rid of the tile, not just the trap "effect"?

Also, make the traps, let someone else make matches, only put Elektra in front when the opponent has the AP for a move seems pretttty good
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Based on pictures on marvel site, black seems to do damage on enemy match. Level 70 Elektra, cover 3: 3 traps - 417 damage. However ability text can be only red partially.

She's level 270 in the screenshot where you can see the 417 damage (note the tile levels bottom left). 3 tiles @ 3 covers is <puking noise>

Nice that there's a side effect to clearing the black tiles out, but 417 is nothing. So you cascade her tiles and it does 1200 damage? That's terrible for a max 4*

Edit: I'm warming up to the idea that she's IW level. 'One woman army' that does 1k damage moves when her counter parts do 5-10k is sort of sad.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    It's recently been teased that Wolverine may be an antagonist in an upcoming story. Now that Elektra is confirmed, maybe the story will be inspired by the Enemy of the State story arc. Perhaps they want to use X-Force Wolverine for this story, so they need a 4-star Elektra in order to mirror him?
  • gamar wrote:
    Do we know that it actually gets rid of the tile, not just the trap "effect"?

Also, make the traps, let someone else make matches, only put Elektra in front when the opponent has the AP for a move seems pretttty good

It's a minor thing either way though if it's only 3 traps based on some of the info then it's probably not a big deal either way. Trying to continously shuffle characterse in front/back is likely to lead to some horrible results in this game since the best strategy is almost always trying to make the best cascade you can. Keep in mind the AI doesn't try to prioritize any move/color as long as it's one of its strong colors, so you generally have no way of knowing when the AI will use its second move (first move can easily be blocked by black) unless you just totally messed up. I guess it'd work against goons that tend to fire off a lot of powerful moves in rapid fire but it's not like there aren't other characters good at fighting goons, and 10 black to deal with goons isn't exactly all that fast. Captain America can pretty much deal with any goon almost indefinitely for 11r or 12 blue and that's the same 4 match territory.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes the name of a power changes between the time when we first set up the data for it and when we finalize the character. Sometimes that's because the power has been through such a big redesign that the old name doesn't make sense anymore (that was the case here), sometimes it's because we thought of a cooler name, and sometimes when all the art and FX comes together a new name makes more sense.

When you get Gambit into the system, you should probably give him powers like I Like Waffles, Bacon Magic, and Eggs Over Easy. And when he's finally ready, that's when you'd give his powers their true names.
    Nah, have those be the power names but change it so it's really 4* spider-ham
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Spoit wrote:
    Sometimes the name of a power changes between the time when we first set up the data for it and when we finalize the character. Sometimes that's because the power has been through such a big redesign that the old name doesn't make sense anymore (that was the case here), sometimes it's because we thought of a cooler name, and sometimes when all the art and FX comes together a new name makes more sense.

When you get Gambit into the system, you should probably give him powers like I Like Waffles, Bacon Magic, and Eggs Over Easy. And when he's finally ready, that's when you'd give his powers their true names.
    Nah, have those be the power names but change it so it's really 4* spider-ham

Personally, I don't care who it is - the first character with the ability Bacon Magic instantly becomes my favorite character. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Just when we thought our wallets were safe...
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just when we thought our wallets were safe...
    She looks pretty meh. Still safe
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    gamar wrote:
    4*? So how will I kill her with Bullseye?

LMAO. Best post I've seen in a while. Thanks for that.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    I officially protest her ranking as a 4*.

I suspect D3 hasn't read a marvel comic before. It could very easily be that in teh last little bit Marvel brought her back in some modern relaunch I don't know about?

Otherwise if it's the Electra we all knew and loved that was killed, she was not a 4 Star. I personally wouldn't say much of a 3*, but entry to 3* is pretty slack. She is no Thor or Fury or even an X force, she's a pretty cool nija style mortal with no real powers (not that fury has powers, but he's the director of Shield - sometimes)

Who's will be the next 4 * to hit MPQ? J Jonah Jameson? Actually, come to think of it, he could probably take down bagman.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Somebody explain to me how Elektra is a 4* character? icon_neutral.gif
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    A new Pve, for a new character, running over Xmas day.

Yeah, don't think so
  • Somebody explain to me how Elektra is a 4* character? icon_neutral.gif
    L72Vb2E.jpg
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Somebody explain to me how Elektra is a 4* character? icon_neutral.gif

PVE turnout for Thor rewards was probably unprecedented. So devs probably thought, "Hey, let's bump up Elektra to a 4* and introduce her as a reward in a PVE. We should see the same turnout." Both are over holidays, so people will have the ability to grind.

But there are some big differences. Top 100 alliance members already had 1 yellow Thor. If they placed 1, they could have 3. If they placed Top 5, they'd have 2 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue, with another blue at the end of the season. Thor was rewarded in a new storyline, Meet Rocket & Groot. Maybe some people wanted to play to see the new story. Elektra is being rewarded in Prodigal Son. Everyone got to play with a maxed out Thor over the Anniversary week LRs, and saw that she was awesome, and her demand shot up. Most people are wondering why Elektra is even a 4*, so I don't expect the vets to come out and grind again for her.

Grinders are still gonna grind, but I don't think the turnout will be along the levels that Meet Rocket & Groot the first time, were. And with the way that time slices affected brackets in PVE during Thick as Thieves, placement for multiple covers is not going to be easy. If people can't compete for 2 or 3 individual covers, they will play only enough to get 1.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Get ready for another week long PVE burn out grind

Not sure if I can get on board with a supporting character at 4 start status
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Definitely! We will be returning immediately to the usual pace of one new character approximately every two weeks. After Gamora we are now back to the "normal" schedule. The extra characters added in recent weeks was really a perfect storm of our Anniversary week and the debut of Thor (Goddess of Thunder) on top of our usual schedule.

You'll see one more new character arriving a few weeks from now and that character will be the last one of the year. We didn't anticipate that some players would feel overwhelmed or experience "burn out" with the extra characters and we're sorry for that. We'll be factoring this knowledge into our scheduling as we move forward.

That's why we release the 3rd 4* character in 2 months. Merry Christmas everyone

Sincerely yours,

Mod Edit: removed shouty use of large text. -DayvBang
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2014
    I'm not liking the feel of needing to transition to a 4* team. I hope the next schedule isn't one 3* a month and one 4* a month... Also Elektra a 4*, the thematically doesn't make much sense.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Seriously? ANOTHER new char? Can you say burnout?

Burn out.

This is the last straw. I'm quitting.

Since when is Elektra a 4*worthy character? In what universe does Elektra get preference over any number of other MUCH more powerful and popular characters?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    arktos1971 wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Definitely! We will be returning immediately to the usual pace of one new character approximately every two weeks. After Gamora we are now back to the "normal" schedule. The extra characters added in recent weeks was really a perfect storm of our Anniversary week and the debut of Thor (Goddess of Thunder) on top of our usual schedule.
    You'll see one more new character arriving a few weeks from now and that character will be the last one of the year. We didn't anticipate that some players would feel overwhelmed or experience "burn out" with the extra characters and we're sorry for that. We'll be factoring this knowledge into our scheduling as we move forward.

That's why we release the 3rd 4* character in 2 months. Merry Christmas everyone

Sincerely yours,

It literally says in the original post that Electra will be the last character of the year, meaning this is our like one character this month. But the complainers gonna complain.

Mod edit: trying to nip this giant text thing in the bud before more people quote it. -DayvBang
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

This does return us to the usual 2-week pace of character releases, it just is a bit of a surprise that it's 4*. They didn't lie.