Patch Notes - R67 (Live, 12/15/14)

Options

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Please post any further details of technical problems in R67 in this thread.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone know how long after the update goes live until it becomes required to play? I'm trying to wait till after Trial by Combat before updating.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is the shield nerf live in the She-Hulk event? David said the plan is for the nerf to occur with Friday's event.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since this update looks as if it has severe issues, can you turn off the in-game nag?
  • Breakking wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone 6. I also cannot see an opponents score in the PVP matchmaking screen.

Lame

I don't think that's necessarily a bug because you're really only concerned with how many points the match will give you. If there's someone with a score of 1 that gives me 50 points for winning I technically don't have to care why this guy with such a low score gives me 50 points. It sure feels weird though.
  • Dayv
    Options
    Is the shield nerf live in the She-Hulk event? David said the plan is for the nerf to occur with Friday's event.
    It's not live, but the game is ready for it. Shields currently say "no cooldown timer" or something like that. When they're ready, they'll flip a switch and it will display a timer before you buy.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    It's not live, but the game is ready for it. Shields currently say "no cooldown timer" or something like that. When they're ready, they'll flip a switch and it will display a timer before you buy.
    Let me rephrase my question. When do they intend to flip the switch? I've already started climbing and shielding and don't want the switch to be flipped mid-event. If that happens, I may suddenly be forced to buy more expensive shields to keep my score, which I don't want to do. David originally said the nerf was being planned to go into effect on Friday. I assumed that was the case when I started playing this event, so I'm asking if that is still the case.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Let me rephrase my question. When do they intend to flip the switch? I've already started climbing and shielding and don't want the switch to be flipped mid-event. If that happens, I may suddenly be forced to buy more expensive shields to keep my score, which I don't want to do. David originally said the nerf was being planned to go into effect on Friday. I assumed that was the case when I started playing this event, so I'm asking if that is still the case.

The plan is for this change to go live with the start of the Versus Event on Friday, Dec. 19, 2014.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    turul wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

The plan is for this change to go live with the start of the Versus Event on Friday, Dec. 19, 2014.
    Yes, but for which slice?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think all slices of the weekend pvp
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Will this also affect the end of the Versus event that ends Saturday morning?
  • Dayv
    Options
    They can probably set it per event, I don't think they'll do this to any event already in progress.
  • Sidlon
    Sidlon Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Breakking wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone 6. I also cannot see an opponents score in the PVP matchmaking screen.
    I don't think that's necessarily a bug because you're really only concerned with how many points the match will give you. If there's someone with a score of 1 that gives me 50 points for winning I technically don't have to care why this guy with such a low score gives me 50 points. It sure feels weird though.

Definitely a mildly annoying change, possibly to make it slightly less obvious when the game's matchmaking fails to provide any targets with more points.

In order to avoid a net loss of points from retaliations, we'll still need to avoid attacking people with less event points. Now we just can't see those scores, so we'll have to avoid ones worth less than 25 points.

Personally, I just wish they could fix the matchmaking instead of hiding the issue. Toward the end of a PvP, I get tired of needing to pay the skip tax 20-30x to find someone worth 25 points.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi,

We're looking into the crash reports.

The removal of the PvP player score preview is not a bug and was intended. It was not messaged beforehand due to a communication error. This change was planned for a later update and was moved forward into R67 at the last minute. I simply didn't know about it and could not let everyone know in advance. My apologies for that.

Some reasoning the change: It's always a challenge balancing how much information to present to players on a small screen. The developers felt that the preview score could be misinterpreted. Here's word from Demiurge: "We removed the score because we believe it was causing confusion; it's very close to the number that tells you how many points you get for beating the mission." In an effort to present the most important information to players and not muddy the waters, the preview score was removed. Player feedback is being taken into consideration.
  • Xiltyn
    Xiltyn Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Demiurge: "We removed the score because it, like shields, facilitates hopping; so, the preview score was removed.

fixed that for you
  • I didn't know people were looking at each other's scores and was calculating the expected winning % based on the ELO formula to determine shield hops. I always looked at the 'number of points for winning' to determine that. I think this change is kind of pointless unless the idea is to hide your rating completely because people clearly have the wrong idea of what your ELO rating means. It is not an accumulation rating, as in if you're rated 900 in ELO then you're supposed to stay at around 900 no matter how much you played unless you suddenly got a lot better at the game. But then the changes made certanly isn't going to make that happen either, not to mention as long as there are shields it is indeed an accumulation rating.
  • Xiltyn
    Xiltyn Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I didn't know people were looking at each other's scores and was calculating the expected winning % based on the ELO formula to determine shield hops. I always looked at the 'number of points for winning' to determine that. I think this change is kind of pointless unless the idea is to hide your rating completely because people clearly have the wrong idea of what your ELO rating means. It is not an accumulation rating, as in if you're rated 900 in ELO then you're supposed to stay at around 900 no matter how much you played unless you suddenly got a lot better at the game. But then the changes made certanly isn't going to make that happen either, not to mention as long as there are shields it is indeed an accumulation rating.
    People were using to let alliance mates with different score know whether or not to use iso trying to find better targets than what they currently had in their queue. For example I'm at 900, but an alliance mate is at 1150. The reward number for him is 27 because the person they just queued has more points than them. But my mate now no longer knows their opponents actual score, so unless I decipher the "reward ratio" I don't know if that match would gain me more points than the 35 point match I currently have queued.
  • Xiltyn wrote:
    People were using to let alliance mates with different score know whether or not to use iso trying to find better targets than what they currently had in their queue. For example I'm at 900, but an alliance mate is at 1150. The reward number for him is 27 because the person they just queued has more points than them. But my mate now no longer knows their opponents actual score, so unless I decipher the "reward ratio" I don't know if that match would gain me more points than the 35 point match I currently have queued.

But you'd run into the additional problem of the scores being shown often can be quite off from reality anyway. It's not unusual to see scores that are off by more than 100 compared to their real score in the 1000+ range because of how volatile scores are. In general unless I can see someone's score directly (in my bracket leaderboard, or in a top 10 alliance) I just assume their displayed score is at best a wild guess.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we get clarification as to whether or not the new "PvE Gameplay Mode" is a new PvE story with a similar structure as old PvEs, or if it's actually a completely different mode?
  • Tyronepowers
    Options
    Can we get clarification as to whether or not the new "PvE Gameplay Mode" is a new PvE story with a similar structure as old PvEs, or if it's actually a completely different mode?

Wish I could like this more than once.

Yes. If it is just a new story skin on the same formula...meh. Nice to get a new story, but meh. If it is an alliance focused, boss battle type PVE then that is something I can get excited for. Or any new "thing" that hopefully has alliance mates working together and coordinating attacks rather than just grinding down a score for a reward.