CHECK INTERNET CONNECTION

1235»

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm playing/have been playing just fine on Steam. I would check a couple of things;

1.) Is Steam Cloud enabled? You can check this under the "Updates" tab for MPQ on Steam. It is checked/enabled on my system.

2.) Have you tried checking the integrity of the installation? You can do this under the "Local Files" tab for MPQ on Steam. It takes about five minutes normally.

3.) Any system specifics you can offer? Operating System, etc. What region are you playing from?

The more people that answer these questions and offer as much information as possible, the more the likely we can figure out the common thread (assuming it's not a server issue).

You could also try what I suggested earlier in this thread;
    For Phone Users:

If you're data is backed up on Facebook, try uninstalling and reinstalling Marvel Puzzle Quest.
    If you're not using the most recent version of your operating platform, try updating your operating platform. The developers recently had to make some coding changes for the newest version of Android and iOS, so there might be some incompatibilities.

For Steam Users:

Try to "Verify" the installation. You can do this by right-clicking it in your Library and clicking 'Properties'. It's under the 'Local Files' tab.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Marvel Puzzle Quest.
    Verify your Steam Client is the most recent version. Mine says; Steam API v017, Steam package version 1416350232. You can check this under 'Help', 'About Steam'.
    Try flushing your DNS Cache. How to do this depends on your Operating System, but it's easy to find on Google (or you can send me a PM with your Operating System).
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    If you are on your phone and you are getting the connection error while connected to Wifi, switch off your wifi, you should be able to connect. My connection was 'lost' too this morning when I tried to log in. When I switched to using Data, I was able to play. Now that I'm at work, the wifi connection here is working. Seems to happen at home for me mostly. It's not your phone, it's their servers. Apparently wifi and cellular are on different servers or something.

Give that a shot, and periodically check wifi because using data when wifi is available sucks big time.

We're looking into these reports, but if switching from wi-fi to cellular data fixes the issue, then it's an issue with the wi-fi connection: there's nothing we could do on our end to tell the difference.
    it is definitely not the wi-fi connection. Every other service on my phone connects through the wifi along with streaming netflix while getting this connection issue while sitting in the same room as my router. No, not the wifi connection at my home. Definitely on your end. And the ticket I submitted the first time it happened specifically told me it was on your end and that it was fixed. It's happened multiple times over multiple events since then. It tends to happen most often around 10pm for me on the days where event shards are ending and I usually pick the midnight shard.

Switching from wi-fi to cellular doesn't "fix" the issue, it gets a connection, but then switching back to wi-fi loses connection again. It's a work around, not a fix.
  • Quester42
    Quester42 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    So... can we figure this out before D3P does?

Enough of us have tried enough things to rule out actual internet problems, so FIRST: their error message is worst of the worst.

We have also tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling, so the software suddenly not working for no reason can't be the issue.

It is happening monthly, around updates to the game client: Dec 18th, Jan 18th...
    And maybe another poster was correct: user sessions are sticky to a server.

So maybe we cannot connect when their server that we are each assigned to is being updated/rebooted? Or if we do update our game client before they've updated our server, we also get the error. That would help explain the 2 problems we have reported - as well as the fact that not everyone has these problems.

Plausible? Anyone have anything better? Do you think D3P will ever address the issue or this thread? Or reimburse us the hero points we lost for not being able to connect?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    nyark wrote:

We're looking into these reports, but if switching from wi-fi to cellular data fixes the issue, then it's an issue with the wi-fi connection: there's nothing we could do on our end to tell the difference.

What kind of answer is this? You make it sound like the problem is on the user's end when it's clearly not. My internet connection is fine and everything works except for your game. Are you saying you do not have load balancing servers? Everything gets routed into 1 box? Something is down on your end or requests are getting blocked.
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that if a player finds they can play over the cellular network but not over their wi-fi network, there's nothing the game could be doing to cause that. In that specific case, one of your two networks is having a problem. Maybe not right there in your home or on the closest cellular carrier antenna, but it could even be on the internet path between the access point and the game's servers.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    nyark wrote:

What kind of answer is this? You make it sound like the problem is on the user's end when it's clearly not. My internet connection is fine and everything works except for your game. Are you saying you do not have load balancing servers? Everything gets routed into 1 box? Something is down on your end or requests are getting blocked.
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that if a player finds they can play over the cellular network but not over their wi-fi network, there's nothing the game could be doing to cause that. In that specific case, one of your two networks is having a problem. Maybe not right there in your home or on the closest cellular carrier antenna, but it could even be on the internet path between the access point and the game's servers.

Thanks for saying it better than I did, and sorry for my clumsy phrasing. Once a request gets to our servers, we don't do anything differently based on your IP address or how you connect. If switching the way you connect to the internet fixes the issue, that doesn't mean it's your fault, it just means it's most likely not ours - it could be anything from your ISP to Amazon to a DNS server somewhere to anything in between.

We haven't had any server downtime lately and aren't seeing any increases in error responses we're sending out; we're still looking into what might be happening here and whether there's anything we can do to help.
  • metallicajake01
    metallicajake01 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Demiurge_Will,

How would recommend we isolate the issue then?

Where can we run a tracert to verifying the path from our homes to your servers is possible?

I need to know where I can run a tracert to so I can call my ISP and have substantial information to provide to point the finger at them if its a routing or DNS issue on their end.

I requested this information in my support request but was never really responded to or provided with any information to continue troubleshooting.

The thing is there's nothing else wrong with my connection when this occurs. I tried a whole bunch of stuff (posted earlier in this thread). That doesn't mean the ISPs can be ruled out but if you're saying its not you we need proper information to prove it to them so we can make this stop. If there's any other suggestion it would be greatly appreciated because I'd like to get to the bottom of this. This is extremely frustrating has completely screwed me out of the end of multiple events.

Thanks,
    -Jake

EDIT: Please see my post earlier with all the things I've tried, there is a ton. This happens across four devices that are Windows 7 / Windows 8 with a mix of hard wired and wireless.
  • Can anyone explain to me how come this is the only game that regularly goes off the rails?
    I'm playing Marvel Contest of Champions, WWE Immortals, Rage of Bahamut, Clash of Clans and I'm trying every freemium under the sun. None of these ever failed on me, not even once. MPQ seems to be made of glass - this is the 3rd time in three days I have connection issues.
    Where are you coding this turd, in North Korea?
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Thanks,
    -Jake

EDIT: Please see my post earlier with all the things I've tried, there is a ton. This happens across four devices that are Windows 7 / Windows 8 with a mix of hard wired and wireless.

I'm not sure I found your previous post.

I will have an issue where my phone wants to keep, what I assume, is a stale DNS/IP address. When this happens, it doesn't matter if I try to access through WiFi or through my mobile network. Now when that happens, I check the forums, and if there aren't more users down, I just reboot my phone. (I'm sure there is a way on Android to force a DNS Release and Renew, but I don't know it.)

In your case, were all four devices going through the same router? If so, you may be seeing something similar.
  • Hi,

Im getting the same issue through my ADSL if my gf is on wi-fi no connetction and my game on steam check connection...... How can we compete in tourneys? and get top place im no3 in my group and this will just kill my score!

I've recreated ports restarted router pc etc. but nothing works must be a routing problem at the mpq servers.

I could try port forwarding if i knew the ports?

So Os doesnt matter only that a land line ported through a DSl provider one of your servers is blocking connection if you could send me the ip i would gladly send you a trace root. If some one can pm it to me that whould be great.

What do we do from here?

And will we get compensation? cause losing a chance to get 3 cards for a 3 star and a 4 star plus hp and iso sigh!
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    If you're experiencing this problem and can connect to rest of the internet normally, could you please PM Demiurge_Anthony and me with a phone number we can reach you at? Thanks!
  • nyark
    nyark Posts: 66 Match Maker
    ... noticed about an hour ago CHECK INTERNET CONNECTION message and it's still down. As usual everything else using the internet is totally fine.
    Seems like could be related to when game updates are pushed out? Last time it went down was also after an update.
  • metallicajake01
    metallicajake01 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    The solution was found last night, change your public DNS to google or OpenDNS.

I used google: 8.8.8.8 and then it worked just fine

Set static DNS:
    In Windows 8
    Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
    view - details > Right-click the adapter you are using to connect to the internet > Properties
    Network tab > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties > Use the following DNS Server addresses: 8.8.8.8
    Click OK , Click OK

Do this or restart:
    Start > cmd > enter
    In command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns
    Try again

How the root cause is supposed to be resolved with our ISPs I don't know. DNS isn't resolving right to Demiurge servers when this is occurring.

Maybe someone else here has some experience with this in a home situation but in my professional experience you're going to need a tracert to pinpoint as best as you're able when you contact the ISP or you don't really have enough information for them to help you. Maybe there's something they can do that I'm not aware of, like I said no experience on home front.