Upcoming PVE End Times Testing (*Updated)

Options

Comments

• If they're truly having 12 hour subs, this will be an absolutely meaningless test. Even active players miss entire subs when they're 12 hours long. The test won't tell them anything about how this will actually work in any kind of normal environment.
  • If subs are 12 hours the only useful result we get from this is that guys who otherwise have subs ending at say, 4pm, would benefit a lot since 4pm/4am is a rather nasty ending time for anyone with a normal sleeping/work schedule, but you don't need to run the event to figure this out either.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am all for the PVE test end time. I am also ok with 12 hour subs and subs ending at the same time. What I really hope happens is that David [Hi-Fi] Moore hops on to have a little Q & A today or tonight to answer some questions for us. As the game is changing for the better the people on this forum are very willing to give feed back. In order for us to give the Dev's the best feedback possible we don't just need an update that you will be testing end times. Give us an update like:

"we will be testing end times here is what we are doing. Please post your questions and David will give some responses and will do a Q & A 24 hours before the event to let you know what we are looking for and what sort of feedback we need. David will then be able to answer any questions or concerns so you can have a good experience while we test end times as end times have been a strong topic based on your feedback."

David,
    This is great a great test that D3 is running and you have a hard job with the forum management and taking our feedback. Please take this constructivly as a little better way to test things in the future. Information is power and communication is key.

Thanks
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    I am all for the PVE test end time. I am also ok with 12 hour subs and subs ending at the same time. What I really hope happens is that David [Hi-Fi] Moore hops on to have a little Q & A today or tonight to answer some questions for us. As the game is changing for the better the people on this forum are very willing to give feed back. In order for us to give the Dev's the best feedback possible we don't just need an update that you will be testing end times. Give us an update like:

"we will be testing end times here is what we are doing. Please post your questions and David will give some responses and will do a Q & A 24 hours before the event to let you know what we are looking for and what sort of feedback we need. David will then be able to answer any questions or concerns so you can have a good experience while we test end times as end times have been a strong topic based on your feedback."

David,
    This is great a great test that D3 is running and you have a hard job with the forum management and taking our feedback. Please take this constructivly as a little better way to test things in the future. Information is power and communication is key.

Thanks

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I feel like the Devs are hiding in a bunker behind David now. They've implemented PvP end times and given zero feedback thus far. That makes it feel much less like a test and more like "here's a change we're putting in under the guise of a test." What general updates we do get now feel sterilized. People ask questions near instantaneously for clarification when a discussionthread for an update is posted. They're twisting in the wind, left to figure out what the Devs' cryptogram means.

David is doing a fine job, but the forums would benefit greatly from more daily (heck, weekly) conversation and less of this press release stuff that is way too common.

/end soapbox
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here; I wonder why they'd do that? icon_lol.gif
  • heroguy35
    Options
    Posted this in events as well but your main and SUBS begin when you choose your time slice similar to pvp. The main didn't surprise me but was surprised to see that subs started as well.
  • Does anybody else realize the issue with subs and alliance rewards? Since many will have different end times, will the sub alliance rewards be rewarded when the last time slice is over for that specific sub?
  • heroguy35
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    Does anybody else realize the issue with subs and alliance rewards? Since many will have different end times, will the sub alliance rewards be rewarded when the last time slice is over for that specific sub?

I was just wondering the same thing. Are the members that joined the 1st slice Givin alliance rewards for that slice? Do the subs stay open so commanders can keep track of scoring?

This could make things very complicated for commanders. Same issue with pvp. Don't know who is scoring poorly until after the event is over because you don't know what time slice people chose. This issue could be even more problematic with multiple sub events in pve.
  • I can't believe it is 12 hour subs. That would be dumber than a very dumb thing.

Wow guys. Just wow.
  • Well, I suppose that's it for getting meaningful data out of the test. 12 hour subs combined with sever burnout equals low engagement.

If you base your actions moving forward based on how this turns out, you will make a lot of mistakes, because you're going to get bad data.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

*Update (12/03/14): The plan for this test is to have 5 selectable end times similar to how the Versus end time selection works. To keep variables down on the test, we're leaving the Sub-Event timers the same, which means that they're going to be 12 hour subs. This will help us to nail down any bugs that may appear. Specifically, we can rule out anything related to the changing of sub times.

A reminder - when selecting your end time, choosing a final end time in the afternoon may mean that previous subs end early in the morning.

I'm hoping that auto-bracketing the subs is also a way to keep the variables down, because that's a really bad change to become the norm in PvE.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

*Update (12/03/14): The plan for this test is to have 5 selectable end times similar to how the Versus end time selection works. To keep variables down on the test, we're leaving the Sub-Event timers the same, which means that they're going to be 12 hour subs. This will help us to nail down any bugs that may appear. Specifically, we can rule out anything related to the changing of sub times.

A reminder - when selecting your end time, choosing a final end time in the afternoon may mean that previous subs end early in the morning.

I'm hoping that auto-bracketing the subs is also a way to keep the variables down, because that's a really bad change to become the norm in PvE.

I posted that question as well and that is why I am not selecting an end time until I am ready to start the event. I don't want to start grinding every 2 hours and 15 min just to find out someone is 40k points ahead of me to start.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So now it looks like scaling is shard-based as well. I'm in shard 4 and my China essentials are starting at 127/148 while my Namibia essentials are starting at 186 and 194. Meanwhile, an alliance mate with a similar roster, who scores better than me in PVEs, and grinds PVE like crazy is in a different time-shard and seeing level 20 nodes.

This is total tinykitty.
  • thedude
    Options
    For all the problems, I'm really happy with the progress. I'm a uk player and actually have a chance of a top 10 finish for the first time ever.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am not a fan of being placed into subs before I even open them.

Last night I went to bed after my first set of subs ended and intended to grind the second set that ends today at noon ET. I wake up and complete the missions in the main to open the subs only to find the subs are already filled and the top scores are over 5K. These are the same people who are in my main. So I am competing against the same people in every sub and the main the whole way. If you get a bad main - with heavy grinders - your chances of at least getting high placements in subs goes out along with the main.

If we are going to go to a variable end time schedule, which I have no problem with, this auto-placement into subs needs to be removed.

Otherwise, D3 is clearly stating, you MUST grind 24 hours constantly to place well in subs and main. If that is their intention moving forward, that will be the last straw in a series of bad decisions by D3.

I don't see the benefit of doing it this way and the punishment for having a life, a job and a desire for sleep becomes too severe.
  • VonMatterhorn
    VonMatterhorn Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    orionpeace wrote:
    I am not a fan of being placed into subs before I even open them.

Last night I went to bed after my first set of subs ended and intended to grind the second set that ends today at noon ET. I wake up and complete the missions in the main to open the subs only to find the subs are already filled and the top scores are over 5K. These are the same people who are in my main. So I am competing against the same people in every sub and the main the whole way. If you get a bad main - with heavy grinders - your chances of at least getting high placements in subs goes out along with the main.

If we are going to go to a variable end time schedule, which I have no problem with, this auto-placement into subs needs to be removed.

Otherwise, D3 is clearly stating, you MUST grind 24 hours constantly to place well in subs and main. If that is their intention moving forward, that will be the last straw in a series of bad decisions by D3.

I don't see the benefit of doing it this way and the punishment for having a life, a job and a desire for sleep becomes too severe.

Same problem here man. What I *hope* is the reason is that they're just trying to reduce the number of moving variables in the beta-testing by not having each slice have their own set of subs that fill as they go. But if that's not the case, then this kind of blows.

I think another huge problem is that by splitting everyone up across so many slices, the number of people joining any one bracket has gotten very slow. With these 12 hour subs, there are people joining my bracket (slice 4) who may miss 2 or even 3 sets of subs if it takes too long to fill. 1000 player brackets may be too big for this format.
  • orionpeace wrote:

Because the devs think it's more fun this way.

• Same problem here man. What I *hope* is the reason is that they're just trying to reduce the number of moving variables in the beta-testing by not having each slice have their own set of subs that fill as they go. But if that's not the case, then this kind of blows.

I think another huge problem is that by splitting everyone up across so many slices, the number of people joining any one bracket has gotten very slow. With these 12 hour subs, there are people joining my bracket (slice 4) who may miss 2 or even 3 sets of subs if it takes too long to fill. 1000 player brackets may be too big for this format.

Could it be there are far less people playing this PvE so brackets fill up more slowly ?

I do agree that brackets should be smaller (especially when the rewards are not significant).
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see how I'm going to get anywhere in this PVE. The current sub only has 3 playable nodes (since I don't have Gamora and one of them is set to "complete") and all of them are Trivial, ~200 points a piece.
  • It seems I missed the first sub eventhough I picked the latest time possible.