Behind the Scenes of a Ragequit : Arktos

Options

Comments

• tobi69 wrote:
    If ur planning to find a new game, i recommend DOTA 2. Dynamic gameplay,pure skill, no money required,playable online/offline, a true E-Sport game icon_e_wink.gif
    Remember this, game is for fun and never ever put money on an F2P games man.
    Merry Christmas.cheers.

There always has to be an 'Arktos' or F2P games can't support themselves
  • Sounds like you just need to try pvp centric alliance. You can still do pve for fun, but get the bulk of your covers in pvp.

Also, the irony is not lost on me that you're quiting right before you can try pve time slices.

I would hold onto your roster. You know as many, the game is anyways changing.
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He was previously in a pvp centric alliance, and left.
  • Raekwen wrote:
    He was previously in a pvp centric alliance, and left.

I've always been PvE and PvE, because I thought the game was made of the 2 of them.

But PvEs are the things that made me spend money. Because of scaling...
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PVP is an Xforce joke fest now with no other character being viable and PVE has this dumb notion that you have to wake up every 2.5 hours to stay competitive. Over 5 days it takes a heavy toll. It just seems like a bad design to force players to play for half an hour every 3 hours, I like to come home from work log in a good 3-4 hours and be happy. I think they need to wake up to themselves or they will find themselves working on the next game cause no one wants to play this anymore. If you look at steam reviews the first few pages are full of peeps with over a thousand hours of game time that give negative reviews. That's a serious indication of an endemic problem.

Look at character balance I think there are two questions they should ask about every character.

1. If you get a max cover team up of this character do you keep it?
    2. Is there ever an occasion you would change this character for X-force in your roster?

If the answer is no to either of those questions then the character is under powered. We should make a whales post and all put pressure on them. Money talks.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only monster here is the puzzling monster that has enslaved us all, and I call him Puzzlor!
  • First, I agree with the OP and others here in the sense that PVE could be less taxing on players' health. I think it boils down to the 2.5 hour node refresh. If you are dedicated to grind out a strong win in a competitive PVE, with the current node refresh rate, you are forced clear the nodes every 2.5 hours round the clock. I imagine there has to be an alternative that would both allow for hardcore competition in PVE, but would also allow players to sleep more than 2.5 hours at a stretch during the 5+ day event. The way it currently is set up, PVE is literally detrimental to a healthy immune system of the competitive PVE community. Perhaps the node refresh could be extended to, say, at least 4 hours (allowing for a couple more REM sleep cycles)?

Secondly, it would be great if PVE and PVP/season wouldn't end within hours of each other. Wouldn't it be nice if only one event ended per day? There are enough days in the week to allow for all the planned events, I gather.

Lastly, I would tender also that allowing at least 2 days between char release PVEs, or even better, putting one several day Gauntlet event between each character release would also allow the player base to recharge their batteries before jumping into another assault on the Marvel Universe.
  • Fixing PvE isn't that hard. Look at Simulator Basic hard bracket for an event where grinding is pretty much impossible and it's not because people somehow all agreed to not grind it. Of course difficulty has to be standardized across different roster and they should be boosting rosters instead of boosting enemy levels because if you boost rosters the worst that can happen is Juggernaut owns everything but that's okay because the stronger players can just get Juggernaut too. Once you have difficulty hard enough that grinding every refresh should not be possible you can just get rid of the rubberband (which is pretty much nonexistent in a competitive PvE bracket already) and make the stacks refresh on server time, e.g. on noon/midnight EST all stacks come back to full regardless of their previous status. This would mean as long as you get all your playing done in a 12 hour period you'd be fine. It'd still be advantageous to do these missions earlier because tiebreaker goes to the guy who finished it first. In theory ties aren't horrible but it'd look pretty silly if #1 to #100 are all tied with the same score so effort should be make to make ties relatively unlikely.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the real issue is they took PvE and made it competitive, your not only playing to beat a node, collect all node rewards, collect progression rewards, complete a story. They added a PvP element where you are compelled to beat everyone else.
    They should take the competition out of it, just progression rewards.
    Get a Thor cover at 150k, a second at 200k, a third at 300k (totals may vary) . No ranking, while not likely everyone can attain it
  • I just hope they hear you guys.

For once they make a very desirable character, it's quite normal people want it, and play to get it.

Sometimes, the difference between #10 and #11 is only less than a 100 points. Out of 100 000 ?
  • fmftint wrote:
    I think the real issue is they took PvE and made it competitive, your not only playing to beat a node, collect all node rewards, collect progression rewards, complete a story. They added a PvP element where you are compelled to beat everyone else.
    Get a Thor cover at 150k, a second at 200k, a third at 300k (totals may vary) . No ranking, while not likely everyone can attain it

While I in a general sense endorse taking out the competitive aspect of PVE, and think that it would improve PVE, the competitive aspect of PVE does make sense from one point of view: It limits the amount covers awarded for any given event to a certain percentage of the community.The resulting scarcity underpins their value. PVE serves as a convenient vehicle for releasing higher tier rewards -- PVP requires less effort in general. It would be likely more difficult to accomplish this if PVE were just prog awards. I imagine the devs would prefer to keep certain at least covers scarce by design, like newly released characters and especially 4* characters. I would therefore understand the desire to keep PVE competitive based for at least new character releases and perhaps other special events like this Thor cover reward event. I'm willing to accept that.

My suggestion would be a hybrid solution: Have PVE competitive events interlaced with non-competitive prog award only PVE events like the Gauntlet, and space the competitive PVE events out a bit to avoid community burn out. That might achieve both aims.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    camichan wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

While I in a general sense endorse taking out the competitive aspect of PVE, and think that it would improve PVE, the competitive aspect of PVE does make sense from one point of view: It limits the amount covers awarded for any given event to a certain percentage of the community.The resulting scarcity underpins their value. PVE serves as a convenient vehicle for releasing higher tier rewards -- PVP requires less effort in general. It would be likely more difficult to accomplish this if PVE were just prog awards. I imagine the devs would prefer to keep certain at least covers scarce by design, like newly released characters and especially 4* characters. I would therefore understand the desire to keep PVE competitive based for at least new character releases and perhaps other special events like this Thor cover reward event. I'm willing to accept that.

My suggestion would be a hybrid solution: Have PVE competitive events interlaced with non-competitive prog award only PVE events like the Gauntlet, and space the competitive PVE events out a bit to avoid community burn out. That might achieve both aims.

i think that if you have a competition with a 4* cover where only 50 out of every 1000 players will get one very highly valued cover - of course it's gonna be crazy. i agree that the devs probably want to keep the 4*s rare, but man that's rough for the remaining 950 players.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I almost burned out a few times too.

You may want to give it a break of a season or month but if not, I'll put up $5 for the account. I don't like paying in a F2P game but what the heck.

(BTW, I don't expect you to sell it for less than $100 but I had to give it a shot)
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This even definitely took me out of my home for the holidays. Well done D3, you bested Walmart in destroying Thanksgiving.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    This even definitely took me out of my home for the holidays. Well done D3, you bested Walmart in destroying Thanksgiving.
    Come on, blaming a game for your addiction?

Oh cruel cigarettes, I blame you for my addiction to you. (I don't smoke.)
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I fully agree that if this game is causing someone unneeded stress and/or just is no longer fun, then they should stop playing.

One thing I never quite understood though was this notion that one cannot sleep anymore to remain competitive, because you have to hit these nodes every 2.5 hours. For the record, I've never slept all that well anyway, so I might not be the best judge, but before I head to bed, I grind each node 3x - sure you lose a bit in score as opposed to if you hit each refresh, but not enough to keep you from being competitive. I came in 2nd in my bracket by clearing each node, then going and doing whatever for two hours.....rinse and repeat until bedtime when it was 3x each, or it was the end of the sub where it's grind away on all nodes.

Do I play it a lot? Definitely. But the difference for me I guess is that it is still fun for me...I love the challenge of PvE......usually icon_e_wink.gif

Hopefully you'll find something more fun in the future - after all, that's what this should be icon_e_smile.gif
  • arktos1971 wrote:

I am sick of the hypocrisy. The latest Q&A discussion was a joke. "Why are there so many characters released ? == Because the devs enjoy them".

In fairness, that is a hilarious comment. I wonder if he/she kept a straight face whilst typing/speaking that.
  • Kcwei83 wrote:
    Not the pve problem. Its the reward problem. Too many people want the lady thor. Thats why.
    You must not be a veteran. It is the pve grind grind and more grind for really no rewards.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:

Did you try to think about what you were doing wrong? Half of the third wing was 395 for a ton of people. I cleared them all without any boosts and only died a handful of times. That event is designed as a non-grindy challenge - the perfect end game event that doesn't mess with your sleep style. The rewards suck for people who can actually do it but maybe that'll change in the future

I refused to boost.

Boost is a bad thing. If the characters are not good enough to beat a node, then, there's a problem.

Boosts screw the game entirely.

I haven't been playing as long as you and i've had ragequit moments during this last pve. But i would say just wait for the new event end times and try it out first before quitting. This event was going to be a pain from the start regardless of the enemies just because 4hor was the reward. I think of boosts as levelling the playing field for the battle. If they can get free AP from goons then i have no qualms about using boosts if i feel like it or if it justifies using it. ( But I dont agree that scaling shld get worse just because i use boosts)

I hope you'll change your mind but no game should be allowed to affect us this bad
  • danikalil
    Options
    Arktos, good luck in finding a new game to play. If it's no longer fun, then you should indeed leave.

I'd tell you to play Nintendo 3ds, but we have been stuck in a Super Mario stage for three weeks and it's stressing us out as well icon_e_smile.gif

P.S.: Raider Outlaw's sig is awesome. Congrats, guys!
This discussion has been closed.