Smash Hit - Nov 19-21 - Season VIII

Options

Comments

• y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Have happened upon a very slow but fun team to play. Hulk, Spidey, MNMags. Protect tiles feed Polarity Shift, cascades a-hoy and then stun Hulk to your heart's content. Usually have enough AP for Mags' red by the time you're down to just Hulk and then chocks away

Helps that in 2-star land I'm not facing too many monster Hulks, but have had a few matches with this team now where I've come out with almost no damage taken. Useful for slow climbing if nothing else
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Such a slooooooowwwww climb in this event. If I use my normaly climbing team of Patch and Daken I make Hulk very angry so I am using Hood/Lcap. The only good thing about the time slice and the fact that everyone got put into a bracket right away is it does not matter when I start, but it is soooooooo slow. Shield hopping to 1300 for X-Force is going to suck going against 166 HULK's.

WHERE IS MY BRACKET BUDDIE!!!!
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also: it really sucks what the end times were. Why couldn't we choose a more precise end time? 1am is too late. midnight would have been better.
    Every time they add a new end time it split the player base. If there were too many options you would have a really difficult time finding targets worth more than 25 points after you got to a certain point--probably 600 or 700.
    Making a game where I don't have to play at a specific time (the last hour) would be even better!
    You don't have to play PVP during the last hour to be successful. That only applies to PVE.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Shield hopping to 1300 for X-Force is going to suck going against 166 HULK's.
    Nope. Shield hopping to 1300 is going to suck with 10 pt games.
  • Doesn't help that you should only play on wifi now with the data drain. R65 is like the most problematic update ever
  • so I picked the last time. Hopefully my bracket isn't so bad once i start climbing up. Hope for the best is all I can say
  • teebo1214
    teebo1214 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If I missed it in another post, I apologize.
    When the event ends are your points "locked" in at that point?
    Can you still get attacked and lose points? Can you retaliate somehow for season points??
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    teebo1214 wrote:
    Can you still get attacked and lose points? Can you retaliate somehow for season points??
    When _your_ event ends your point are locked in. At least I hope they are.
    And since apparently we can't (or shouldn't be able to) see people outside of our time slice, you shouldn't be attacked once your time slice is done.

We won't know for sure until the first slice has ended, though.
  • teebo1214 wrote:

After the event ends nothing can affect your points. If someone attacks you and finishes after the end, neither of your point totals are affected (and same if vice versa). There's a very brief window before everything's been resolved - maybe lasting thirty seconds or so, but it's unreliable - where things might be unsettled after the event ends, but your points should be locked.

That being said, sometimes, you might not be notified of an attack that came right before the event ended until after it ends, just due to server communication issues.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hurcules wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Shield hopping to 1300 for X-Force is going to suck going against 166 HULK's.
    Nope. Shield hopping to 1300 is going to suck with 10 pt games.

OY VEY icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I have been playing and not getting my points or rank accordingl. TThis is frustrating and I am giving up on any of the VS for the time being.
  • SnickerDog
    Options
    So - I joined the last end time slice. Started this morning and everything was normal until i hit 500. I'm now seeing ONLY the 19 other players who are top-20 in my bracket.
    I've skipped about 3 dozen times - and get the same 19 teams over and over again. Is this happening to anyone else?
    It's annoying if this will be the norm - teams are just going to keep beating up on each other. I feel bad for the one guy who kept popping up with the CStorm/MNMags combo that I beat literally 9 times in the span of an hour.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnickerDog wrote:
    So - I joined the last end time slice. Started this morning and everything was normal until i hit 500. I'm now seeing ONLY the 19 other players who are top-20 in my bracket.
    I've skipped about 3 dozen times - and get the same 19 teams over and over again. Is this happening to anyone else?
    It's annoying if this will be the norm - teams are just going to keep beating up on each other. I feel bad for the one guy who kept popping up with the CStorm/MNMags combo that I beat literally 9 times in the span of an hour.

That sounds far too familiar. I am also getting piles of wins off of MMagneto + CStorm that were put up by 3 particular players that keep being shoved to the top of my queues and nothing but 166 players otherwise.
    The turning point was at ~425 points for me, which is much sooner than the usual 550~600.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm seeing some oddities in matchamking as well. Currently have been hopping on occasion from 800-~1050. Finding high-value targets was rare, but most targets I saw were within 100 points below me. During my last hop I got hit while unshielded and now I'm seeing nothing but targets in the 525-625 point range. I've skipped at least 50 teams but have hit the point where I wonder if my MMR got lowered somehow because of the loss. Looks like hopping is going to be brutal enough if the pool is limited to players in your time shard, but there's no way I can hit 1300 at 3-5 points a fight.

Anyone else seeing themselves trapped in an unusually low point range for opponents?
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kavel wrote:
    Anyone else seeing themselves trapped in an unusually low point range for opponents?

I am far from your league Kavel as I am currently a maxed star.pngstar.png type of player but I did notice some oddities as well...

My maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png wall seems to be around 400ish for this event when it use to be around 550-600 for me usually...

I guess that if everyone is struggling to find decent fights in the upper portion of the brackets because less people are available to be matched with due to the time shards then it also seems to domino all the way down the ranks as well.

Don't get me wrong though...I truly like the fact that I will actually be able to play at the end of an event for once which is somewhat rare for me being in New Zealand with a weird time difference with North America... icon_cool.gif

I am expecting more movement than usual towards the end of the event though since every one in each shard actually chose to be there...it should make for a thrilling ride! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • energythief
    energythief Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Fought three teams worth 30+ points each and still showing zero points. Something is seriously broken. I hope D3 has a way of adjusting the points correctly. I'm not playing another match until my points show up.
  • Fought three teams worth 30+ points each and still showing zero points. Something is seriously broken. I hope D3 has a way of adjusting the points correctly. I'm not playing another match until my points show up.

Well then Captain Yossarian, looks like you're not going to play any more, since I'm quite certain that your points won't show up until you play some more matches. Matches you (and I, since I played a bunch of them like this) that earned you 0 points, are basically lost in the aether.
  • energythief
    energythief Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    Fought three teams worth 30+ points each and still showing zero points. Something is seriously broken. I hope D3 has a way of adjusting the points correctly. I'm not playing another match until my points show up.

Well then Captain Yossarian, looks like you're not going to play any more, since I'm quite certain that your points won't show up until you play some more matches. Matches you (and I, since I played a bunch of them like this) that earned you 0 points, are basically lost in the aether.

Are you saying that if I play more matches my points will show up? Not sure I understand what you are saying.

EDIT: ok, that's not it. Refreshed all nodes. Played another match that should have been worth 27 points, score still shows as zero. This is very broken.
  • Same thing is happening to me.
  • j12601 wrote:

Are you saying that if I play more matches my points will show up? Not sure I understand what you are saying.

EDIT: ok, that's not it. Refreshed all nodes. Played another match that should have been worth 27 points, score still shows as zero. This is very broken.

I was saying that the points aren't just going to show up, and going for a Catch-22 reference. You won't play until you get more points, but you won't get more points until you play.

You'll have to play more to get points, and as you've found, even that isn't a guarantee. After closing and opening the client (mostly because on steam lately it seems to be crashing like crazy) a number of times, I ended up getting points for my fights again. I didn't really clear my queue very much though, just one of the nodes. I'm up to 600 something points and still have kicksthatkick and B4CON_M4G1C as available opponents.