Poll on Single Map PvE as requested by Hi-Fi

Options
1235»

Comments

• I would think a skrull storyline would be easy to implement. It would open up the villain roster by allowing you to face off against the heroes already in the game, instead of the same old dark avengers storyline.
  • chris0001
    chris0001 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Something else, skimmed through posts but didn't see it......Scaling based on available roster! Not your total roster..
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    chris0001 wrote:
    Something else, skimmed through posts but didn't see it......Scaling based on available roster! Not your total roster..
    Isn't that already happening? Otherwise, I don't see how the leaderboard could have included people with some high level 3's, but a 1-cover BP
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    oh boy!...this is kind of awkward but... i actually ended up voting for all of them icon_redface.gif

To be more helpful, my Top 3 Pet Peeves with Single Map PVE:

1. I have to play in the last hour if I want a cover
    2. Dark Avengers (and Maggia) over and over, again and again
    3. Scaling after 35 times per node everyone gets scaled out

Since it seems the devs are working on making a different end times feature, i imagine Pet Peeve #1 will be less of an issue in the future. Pet Peeve #2 is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Odin Almighty, i have no idea how many times i have fought those dudes but it has ceased to be exciting and has now become more of a "i hope they are not scaled too ridiculously high this time" kind of feeling. It's also a bit demeaning when a 1* character like Venom and Juggs can take down my 3* heroes but even more demoralizing when common thugs with their pistols and silly tommy guns can mow down Iron Man, Spider-Man and Thor as if *dun dun* they were just normal people with no super-powers icon_e_sad.gif

There are other villainous groups like HYDRA and the Hand, Sentinels and Spider-Slayers that can vary up the common "foe" role a bit. Hell, it's the marvel universe, give me ninjas, zombies, ice giants galore! If possible, it would also be uber-cool to actually have a "mid-boss" and "boss battle" type nodes.

Pet Peeve #3 i find the most bizarre and funny because it sums up the madness that is PVE: Grinding. in my humble opinion, the less grinding that has to take place the better. 35 times?! i understand why this happens because we are competing against each other and PVE is basically an escalation race but jeez. It's for this reason that vets and other savvy players now try to time their entering PVE a bit later if not the very end to avoid Senor El Grind.

Which brings me to my overall Top 3 Pet Peeves with PVE in general (not just limited to Single Map events):

1. PVE is competitive
    2. 2.5 hour refresh times
    3. Rubberbanding nullifies early efforts for points

i believe PVE should for the most part should not be competitive. Maybe i would let it slide for a really special event, but if a player wants to enjoy the thrill of "competition" that's what PVP is for. If you have noticed, there are now people asking for weekly and even season long Gauntlet type events. i'm guessing there are a significant amount of players that just want to play the game at their own pace while feeling they are progressing. PVE should be the place where this happens.

2.5 hour refresh times leads to less sleep time/family time/other stuff which makes no one happy. There are crazies that are up to the challenge and bless their hearts for pulling off amazing amount of points but really i don't think anyone would mind making those refreshes 8 hours long. This would help rid us of the tyranny that is Senor El Grind.

And PVE Pet Peeve #3: i understand the reasoning for implementing rubberbanding but it really isn't a fair mechanism and is just asking for exploitation. If PVE wasn't competitive, this would not be an issue.

Thank you Colognoisseur for taking the time to make this poll and to Hi-Fi Guy for entrusting a respected forum member with the task and asking for community feedback!゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)b
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i believe PVE should for the most part should not be competitive. Maybe i would let it slide for a really special event, but if a player wants to enjoy the thrill of "competition" that's what PVP is for.
    PvP and PvE are two completely different animals. I hate the shield-hopping nonsense that PvP has turned into, but I love competing in PvE. I would also love it if those who dislike PvE as much as I dislike PvP would stop assuming everyone shares their preferences, and that the game should be redesigned accordingly.
  • First 3 points are main for me: the same old story and same old villains are dull, and scaling is crazy.
    No subs means less rewards. More rewards to the god of rewards!

As for "community choices" (restricted roster has no rainbow and last hour play needed): oh, is it really THAT bad? If one wants the cover, one has to fight for it for the latter, and it's really great to think new strategies and combination for the first.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm a fairly new player, only been playing for about a month. I've only experienced two Heroic episodes, Venom and the most recent Juggs.
    I agree with most of what was stated, though I have my exceptions.

I agree that goons shouldn't get free AP while there is a character actively moving the board.

I agree that rubberbanding (though i'm not sure what it is or how it actually works) doesn't sound like a good idea from how its described.

I start the events as soon as they start because I know that I HAVE to grind. I don't have a huge roster and usually don't have the Essential character to go those extra rounds for extra points, I can only make up for that by grinding. So 2.5 hours refresh is too long for smaller point nodes in my opinion. I think the higher the value node, the longer the refresh time. If I can't hit higher nodes because I've got a weaker roster or no Essential character, I would hope I could still grind away at the smaller points to try to place and have a shot at the new covers to build my roster... not be punished for not having a good roster by being denied the opportunity to build said roster.
    Those who ask for 8 hour refresh times and complaining about family time, work time, etc and therefore feeling like the game needs to accommodate them is like passing the buck for your own accountability on to the game developers. If it refreshes in 2.5 hours and you want to spend time with your family... how is that the games problem? Spend the time with your family! Understand that it's a sacrifice you should willingly make, dang, have some accountability will you? I had a very slow weekend without my kids so I was grinding, away for 20 mins, wait 2 hours, grind 20 mins, wait about 2 hours. If I had other things to do, guess what... I did them, then came back to the game. The way the developers can accommodate players with families is to expand the reward tiers, otherwise, like me, be aware that because you put your family first, you won't be first in this game. If I had to wait 8 hours for the timer to refresh, I wouldn't bother playing an event that only lasts 2.5 days and has 8 hour refresh times. Free to Play players know that grinding is the only way we can usually even come close to ranking with paying players. If the game takes away the ability for a free player to grind, well then it'll get the stigma of being anti-free player.

I hit a PVP wall after 350 points, so with my small roster I don't have a chance of ranking in PVP, I go for the Token and try for the HP but seldom get it before being beat back down to around 280 points. So for me, these PVE events are my only shot at ranking rewards. I did rank slightly above 150 in my bracket in this Juggs event so I did get my Mystique Blue. I was 2K points shy of getting the BP cover from points... I blame that solely on the high 2.5 hour refresh timer and my choice to sleep and spend time with my wife.

I kind of like the restricted roster during events, it forces me to use characters I've either not used frequently or stopped using. It puts everyone on the same playing field and if you have the Essential character, you get the slight advantage. I like knowing that I have the same character set available to me as the guy who places top 10 every PVP, so it comes down to investing time, not money, into the game. My wife will give me time to play, but won't give me money... (whip sound icon_redface.gif ).
  • They should up the number of characters in a Heroic to at least 12. And if we are limited on characters there shouldn't be any Essential' nodes to put you behind in points.
  • I would have put length of time as my number one option if it was there. New character pve should be 48 hours or less. People get way burnt out.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Thanks very much, Colognoisseur, for the poll. And thanks to everyone who has contributed their votes and feedback so far.

I wanted to confirm that the devs are aware of this thread and taking the feedback here into consideration. I know this is a topic that has been covered before but getting a fresh view with everything organized in one place helps greatly.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I'm a fairly new player, only been playing for about a month.

Those who ask for 8 hour refresh times and complaining about family time, work time, etc and therefore feeling like the game needs to accommodate them is like passing the buck for your own accountability on to the game developers. If it refreshes in 2.5 hours and you want to spend time with your family... how is that the games problem?

Heh, not to be overly critical here, because I fully remember feeling similarly when I started... but as you say, you are a new player. 2.5 hour refreshes are really, really bad for many reasons (the most bizarre one being the fact that that doesn't give all your health packs time to refresh... so odd). It isn't simply a matter of 'Oh, I'd like to spend some time with my family.' It's a matter of burn-out. Even on weekends when I have no obligations, I sure as hell don't want to be attached to my phone every 2.5 hours - which is really more like every 1.5, considering by the time you've finished all the nodes, the early ones are well on their way to being refreshed.

After months of that, you just get tired of it.

Additionally, you ask that the 'small point' nodes refresh more often, because you don't have the essential character? That's not going to help you any, because then everyone will just play the non-essentials more often as well.
  • The poll is a little difficult to use because it's not entirely clear what each answer point entails exactly...

The poll question is such an open ended question, you can't really have a short answer to it. Basically the poll is badly put together because the answers are either too short or not concise in their meaning. Either reword the poll question such that it's a closed question (i.e. results in short answers) or remove the poll and ask the same general question you have now.

For example, for me community scaling is a huge issue but checking it could mean all sorts of things which might not necessarily indicate what I personally feel is wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned it needs to go completely! But in removing it, you also need to re adjust how rubberbanding scoring works too and/or potentially remove that too.

There's a whole host of multiple issues with the way story events work, many of them are already mentioned. And in those poll answers that are up currently I would pretty much select all the ones there. Although one or two answers are ambiguous to what its meaning actually entails.
  • I know the poll is almost over, but i'd like to mention that Hitting a level 300+ enemy node and being rewarded 20 ISO sucks.

marc
  • TL;DR - Three largest gripes in order:
    1. Players feels since these are the worst PVE's new characters should not be released in these events.
    2. Scaling is out of control
    3. Some rosters (like this last one) have been overlimited with no one to address CD nodes or lack of synergy with other characters on the limited roster.