Poll on Single Map PvE as requested by Hi-Fi

Options
Colognoisseur
Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi-Fi asked me to put together a poll on what we think is wrong with the single map PvE's.
Please add in other options I might have missed.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Lets brainstorm other poll options first since adding them later resets voting.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Lets brainstorm other poll options first since adding them later resets voting.
    Okay what else needs to be added?
  • papa07 wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    How about we start with some of these:

1) Rehashed story line, old dialogue
    2) Limited roster
    3) Lack of roster synergy
    4) Scaling based on full roster, rather than available
    5) Out of control community scaling
    6) Out of control rubberbanding
    7) Rank reward tiers
    8) No subs
    9) No additional nodes (as in Unstable ISO-8)
    10) Goons feeding Juggs AP
    11) ???
    12) ???

Let me know if there are ones I should add, or ones you think should get pulled.

Also, how many votes should people get? Three?

The introduction of a new character.
    The lack of earnable Hero Points.
    The need to play during the last hour to stay in the top-150, no matter when you join or how much you play.
    If you join before Sunday, the perpetual Iso-20 prizes.
    The repetitive opponents.
    The repetitive opponents.

As for votes, I would say all 15. There are that many things wrong with this event.
  • 9 options, 9 votes. Is it wrong that I voted for all of them...?
  • I figured that I would have to sign in to vote every two hours, that the value of votes would increase exponentially over time, and the only way to be heard would be in the last hour of the poll.
  • And the same poll will appear every 3 weeks or so.
  • With the current rubberbanding structure the global rubberband really doesn't matter because I'm seeing guys with 45K points and I sure aren't catching up to that guy at all unless he just stopped playing. While I question the general structure of events where you can't catch up to guys after the first day because he didn't go to sleep, the rubberbanding is no longer an issue so far as the 'all your effort turns out to be meaningless' issue is concerned.

Structually the biggest problem with PvE events is that they feature guys who play way above their level. This is not to be confused with guys who are overpowered. If in PvP you can debuff an enemy Sentry by 50 levels (but he still keeps his cover) you'd definitely breath a sigh of relief when you face him, since stripping 50 levels from his normal level 166 makes him far more manageable even though he's arguably the strongest character in the game. But characters like The Hood or Juggernaut do a lot of their damage with moves that aren't dependent on levels. Daken pretty much only depends on match damage which stills adds up to a sizeable amount in a hurry. Venom can still your team for a long time with purple feeder or even just some luck. Even Yelena, who is pretty harmless in general, has moves with effect that mostly aren't dependent on her level on at all. What this means is that you fight say the level 100 Hood + Muscle + Juggernaut and it's really quite difficult because all these guys fight way above their level, even though the node reads trivial and you're wondering why even though 3 of them put together is barely higher level than your level 256 Black Panther you're getting spanked. Note that if the team was say, Sentry + Thor + X Force at level 100, it'd be far easier because although those are all powerful characters, all of them are level dependent so having a solid level advantage makes this fight quite easy as long as you didn't screw up too terribly. So not only are you unable to beat the scenarios, the game goes out of its way to make it feel like you suck at this game because they read as 'trivial' or 'easy'. I remember on in one of the heroics there was a Venom + 2 purple feeder and that node was only level 70-80 but half of the time you get stunned for 10 turns in a row and still die because it's pretty hard to do anything interesting when you never get to move. If a node is 395 at least you can say 'well they're way higher than me so it's inevitable I lost', but losing to a low level node with a cheap composition of enemies just sucks.
  • nimvin
    nimvin Posts: 81
    Options
    Refresh timer being doubled wouldn't hurt. Even a 4 hour refresh is better than the current 2 1/2 which isnt even enough for health packs to regen and if you want to pvp you have to pick characters not in the heroic if you're out of health packs.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be easier to have an all of the above option instead of voting all
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The structure poll seems like a pretty bad idea, since the current trend seems like everyone is just going to vote for all of the options, causing this feedback to be, well, pretty useless if the devs want to focus on the problems that are the MOST urgent. Perhaps we should have another poll where people vote for say, the 3 worst things about heroics so that the devs actually have a starting point for what to change first (aka, lack of subs!).
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While i could certainly vote for all or even think that all things are problems, I chose to vote only for the things I find particularly wrong with a single map pve (and since some questions referenced it, the heroic aspect as well). So while I find some combinations of enemies pretty cheap and certainly made even more so in a heroic where you can't put together an appropriate counter, I didn't vote for that cause it really doesn't matter what type of pve it is, it's just a straight up problem. Similarly doing the same old stories over and over is getting super stale, but that has nothing to do with a single map pve, but is a contributing factor for additional frustration with this particular pve. So I voted for things like lack of subs, lack of hp rewards (which kind of goes hand in hand), and crazy scaling.
  • If everyone can vote for every option they can't get any good data from this.

Make us able to vote for half the options and consider adding the ones I quoted in that post.
  • mohio wrote:
    While i could certainly vote for all or even think that all things are problems, I chose to vote only for the things I find particularly wrong with a single map pve (and since some questions referenced it, the heroic aspect as well). So while I find some combinations of enemies pretty cheap and certainly made even more so in a heroic where you can't put together an appropriate counter, I didn't vote for that cause it really doesn't matter what type of pve it is, it's just a straight up problem. Similarly doing the same old stories over and over is getting super stale, but that has nothing to do with a single map pve, but is a contributing factor for additional frustration with this particular pve. So I voted for things like lack of subs, lack of hp rewards (which kind of goes hand in hand), and crazy scaling.

But the reason why events like Heroic Juggernaut is hated is likely because of the enemy composition (which has nothing to do with the structure of the event). The only things different about a single map PvE versus subs are:

1. Rubberband (no longer as relevent as the past)
    2. Lack of rewards (because there are no subs).

Well, the lack of reward can be a serious deal too, but they could just put more stuff in the progression instead if they want to make up what you're expected to get out of the usual sub placements. Since we've had some really low-ball sub rewards like 500/50 for top 10 out of 1000 in The Hunt, you're really not getting that much out of a weak reward sub like The Hunt.
  • 20 Iso per node cleared is not enough.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    mohio wrote:

But the reason why events like Heroic Juggernaut is hated is likely because of the enemy composition (which has nothing to do with the structure of the event). The only things different about a single map PvE versus subs are:

1. Rubberband (no longer as relevent as the past)
    2. Lack of rewards (because there are no subs).

Well, the lack of reward can be a serious deal too, but they could just put more stuff in the progression instead if they want to make up what you're expected to get out of the usual sub placements. Since we've had some really low-ball sub rewards like 500/50 for top 10 out of 1000 in The Hunt, you're really not getting that much out of a weak reward sub like The Hunt.

It's not about the end result of the rewards that you actually get, its about the feels you get out of the subs. People like to see different nodes with the potential to get 250 or 500 iso out of each node. People like playing at the end of the sub and fighting for those extra event tokens and 25 or 50hp. What people DONT like, is spending 4 entire days grinding the exact same nodes, with the rewards drying up after the first or second day playing, making it 100% pointless to join prior to the last day. At least with subs, you knew that joining during the first sub would result in some extra hp/iso gained. What's the benefit of joining juggs early? Absolutely nothing.

I get what your trying to say, but with D3 tending to fail completely at scaling progression awards appropriately and the general feel of grinding the exact same nodes 4 days, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just have subs instead.
  • It's not about the end result of the rewards that you actually get, its about the feels you get out of the subs. People like to see different nodes with the potential to get 250 or 500 iso out of each node. People like playing at the end of the sub and fighting for those extra event tokens and 25 or 50hp. What people DONT like, is spending 4 entire days grinding the exact same nodes, with the rewards drying up after the first or second day playing, making it 100% pointless to join prior to the last day. At least with subs, you knew that joining during the first sub would result in some extra hp/iso gained. What's the benefit of joining juggs early? Absolutely nothing.

I get what your trying to say, but with D3 tending to fail completely at scaling progression awards appropriately and the general feel of grinding the exact same nodes 4 days, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just have subs instead.

Sure I get that but I bet if they have like say

20K - 50 HP
    25K - 2000 iso
    30K - 50 HP
    35K - 3000 iso
    repeat this a few times until 80K

People probably would be okay with grinding the same nodes over and over again. Of course I'd rather have subs but I don't think the single map PvE is flawed just because of the structure itself. I really think people hate these events because they happen to feature exceptionally difficult opponents, and while that has nothing to do with the format, it's something they need to address since single map PvE starts out with inferior rewards so people won't put up any extra inconveniences. If we run Iso 8 Brotherhood with the heroic roster limitation, it should exhibit the same problems as any standard heroic since after all it's still the same bunch of guys you're fighting, but Iso 8 Brotherhood has a very generous sub award, so people would be able to put up with more headache.

Besides, if all you need is new nodes, Unstable Isotope should be popular, and yet people hate it too and it doesn't even have a roster limitation.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3.5days should be the max length for any PVE with subs. This PVE is 4.5 days with no subs and no imcoin.png prog rewards
  • I think what is particularly frustrating about the heroic Juggernaut event is how disproportionately he scales and how quick and easy he can cost you 1 or more health packs. Take the Combined Arms and Balance of Power events as an example. Juggs dominates in those because he scales so much higher than other characters. It's really annoying to have to go up against him multiple times every two hours.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me, it's the variety of the opponents. I'd take the Jugg structure, even with no subs and no HP, if the lineup would at least change. I have an imagination, I can pretend IM40 is a bad guy for one event.

I mean, this structure stinks compared to the others, but the painful part of PvE right now is still having to fight Juggs and crew ad nauseum.

Just run Sentry, Simulator, and Gauntlet in succession until the new content is out.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nimvin wrote:
    Refresh timer being doubled wouldn't hurt. Even a 4 hour refresh is better than the current 2 1/2 which isnt even enough for health packs to regen and if you want to pvp you have to pick characters not in the heroic if you're out of health packs.

While I don't disagree with the gist of this post. I think the 2.5 hour time is fine in the sense that it equals the regen for about 5 health packs. I personally would not like to see a 5 hour refresh, because that means I can't play anything for 5 hours or suffer from reduced point values. 2.5 refresh is fine for me.

While I have other complaints about the roster choices, in general the characters selected don't really interfere with my roster choices in pvp. I have a 9 max 3*, so I have enough roster diversity to not really be affected by the character limits, and its a bit refreshing to have to play some of those lower tier characters. Although I can also see how a transitioning player might feel that they are being forced to commit characters to either PVP or PVE.

I'm mixed as to the whether its appropriate to force people to choose between focusing on PVP or PVE. Ultimately, that is a game design choice on their part, and every player has to budget and balance their time/roster between both events. I don't necessarily see a problem with making players budget their time and resources to be successful.

I wonder I feel people really feel like they should be able to play both PVE and PVP simulataneously.

JUst my thoughts